Explosive meta Breaks pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Apolo.5942

Apolo.5942

In an ideal world (clearly not the one GW2 has lived in for a while now) Direct damage is supposed to do steady to spiky damage and Condition damage is supposed to above average damge over time while less spiky.

In a world were everybody blows up in 0.5 seconds unless they pop some form of invulnerability, this difference is irrelevant.

Also and not related, this turns this game into a moba, where everything revolves around burst and having your opponent burn their CDs before you do (missing them) and or catching them with out them. Aka power necro, thief, warrior, power ranger and so on.

We need the mid range builds to be viable, we cant have burst and broken elementalist as the only 2 viable build options, you guys tried this by eliminating the trinity and we got the berserker meta. The same thing happens here, since mid range is gone and everything revolves around a semi instant burst, the only logical builds are burst with some X seconds of invulnerability. Basically the same thing that happens in pve, burst down or die.

The term Exploit means nothing in GW2 –
Vials Maize Balm Exploit(Halloween) 2014
Locked out of JP (Wintersday) 2015

in PvP

Posted by: Michaeas Magister.1589

Michaeas Magister.1589

I think that might be what they are going for. Not necessarily a MOBA, but definitely an FPS style PvP where he who gets that first head-shot, wins.

And no, I don’t have any evidence of that intent or quotes to that effect, but the current “he who shoots first, wins” PvP system seems to support such a supposition.

Thanks.

It’s as I have always said,
“You can get more results with a kind word and a big stick,
than you can with merely a kind word.”

in PvP

Posted by: Apolo.5942

Apolo.5942

I think that might be what they are going for. Not necessarily a MOBA, but definitely an FPS style PvP where he who gets that first head-shot, wins.

And no, I don’t have any evidence of that intent or quotes to that effect, but the current “he who shoots first, wins” PvP system seems to support such a supposition.

Thanks.

Should that be the case i think its a poor design choice, given that shooters are designed to play on low or 0 ping servers, aka bf4 every one gets their own, while mmos are by default played on a few centralized servers world wide, which are likely to average over 250ms for most players making the real response time 375ms, and miles away from the ideal 0 ping from shooters.

The term Exploit means nothing in GW2 –
Vials Maize Balm Exploit(Halloween) 2014
Locked out of JP (Wintersday) 2015

in PvP

Michaeas Magister.1589

Thanks.

Should that be the case i think its a poor design choice, given that shooters are designed to play on low or 0 ping servers, aka bf4 every one gets their own, while mmos are by default played on a few centralized servers world wide, which are likely to average over 250ms for most players making the real response time 375ms, and miles away from the ideal 0 ping from shooters.

Yeah, I would not like that direction if they are planning to take it for those and other reasons. I prefer MMORPG PvP to FPS, but these days PvP sure does feel a lot more like FPS to me.

in PvP

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

Jacked up DPS has broken the purpose of many things within the game’s PvP dyamic. There are too many things to list here in this post but a good example is how vitality/toughness has become almost negligent at this point. The only real defenses now are dodges/evades/blocks/invulns/stealth. The higher the DPS is turned up, the more important these things become and the less important numeric defenses become “vitality, toughness or even heals”. Turning up DPS becomes broken because classes that were originally intended to be the squishier high DPS classes, like Thieves & Mesmers in the end become the classes with much stronger sustain than others because they are the classes with heavy dodges/evades/stealths/disengages/ect.. ect.. but then they also maintain the highest DPS bursts in the game!

To rebalance this, the DPS needs to be turned down a bit
Or defensive archetypes need boosts that are equivalent to the DPS creep

I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.

in PvP

Posted by: Extreme.8350

Extreme.8350

Jacked up DPS has broken the purpose of many things within the game’s PvP dyamic.

Thats true the damage is overall higher.
However the formula for damage havent changed.
They also merged some defensive traits
So lets say i have 1034 weapon strenght 2000 power with 150 crit damage
If hit you with iwarlock. thats 2326 damage if you have 2000 armor
If you have 3500 armor its just 1329 damage.
Lets not get back to the state of the game where it take forever to kill bunkers.

in PvP

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

Actually I love the pvp. pre-patch a single fight will last for minutes, you’re surrounded by bunkers that point on survive than kill. That make the spvp boring and some classes really OP. (ele, engi)
Now there’s a lot of classes that can cooperate to make the bigger burst they can.
Now a fight in 1vs1 can be won in 10 seconds (lesser if you play mesmer or thief) but sometimes they still need 1 minutes to end.
Yes, now a good amount of defensive skills can do better than high vitality or high toughness, but you still need to have a defensive class in team to survive to high burst damage (guardian shout or warrior CC for example).

And now a stun class like a warrior with hammer can really change a little the way of the fight and not only be used to stack might and deal damage, with a little of CC.

Now the pvp is fast, you need to play and think fast, react wuickly to the enemy attack, dodge, block, use your healing skill only when needed, don’t wast your skills, don’t miss your best attack.

Actually spvp can be a really competitive player versus player (more competitive than 2 bunker facing and fighting for minutes before someone stop them and ent it in a tie XD)

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

Are we trying to say bunker necros/guardians/eles are easy to kill? If we are i completely disagree

in PvP

Posted by: SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

Stop using marauders/berzerkers amulet and you won’t blow up in 0.5 seconds…

Last of the Red Hot Swamis

in PvP

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

^ +1

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

in PvP

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

Jacked up DPS has broken the purpose of many things within the game’s PvP dyamic.

Thats true the damage is overall higher.
However the formula for damage havent changed.
They also merged some defensive traits
So lets say i have 1034 weapon strenght 2000 power with 150 crit damage
If hit you with iwarlock. thats 2326 damage if you have 2000 armor
If you have 3500 armor its just 1329 damage.
Lets not get back to the state of the game where it take forever to kill bunkers.

All damage stats are 30% to the amulet instead of on traits.
You are also neglecting to mention the compounding power damage on Power, Precision and ferocity vs the diminishing returns on Toughness.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

in PvP

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Necro isn’t that easy to kill. Take cele/soldiers/settlers/clerics with various trait setups, and you’ll be quite tanky and useful to your team.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in PvP

Posted by: atreyu.9624

atreyu.9624

^

use Celestial (if your class supports it)or tankier amulets.

Get bursted in 1 sec instead of 0,5.

little big wizard – Eu

in PvP

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Yeh its broke.

Like half of the game is now irrelevant: defensive traits, skills, amulets, runes, sigils, etc…

At least in the cele meta we had zerk and cele being used…

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in PvP

Michaeas Magister.1589

^

Whoa. You mean I might actually get to use a skill before I die?

Sweet!

in PvP

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

^

Whoa. You mean I might actually get to use a skill before I die?

Sweet!

Yeh but it won’t do any damage

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]