Flaw to Placement matches?

in PvP

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

I have no idea what the initial MMR meant before placement matches.

But If I could make a guess, this will be a determinant to your placement matches. Meaning, I could be matched with similar players of the same MMR on those placement matches.

So I have a 267 on Initial, Arken a 264, Helseth 294, Lycarak 390.

So meaning, If I played yesterday at the start of the season, I should be matched up with Arken and co. yesterday.

But I didn’t coz I have to work.

Now I tried doing the placement matches:

“IT IS THE MOST ANNOYING EXPERIENCE EVER”

We lost a 4v5, (we have 5 fyi)
People triple capping a point, Dying in 2 seconds in teamfights etc.

So..Was it really that bad that I didn’t play yesterday?

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in PvP

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

They brought everyone from all sides of the spectrum to close to the 1200 baseline for the placement matches from there your placement matches determine your starting Mmr. So you had all skill levels playing against each other.

in PvP

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

But If I could make a guess, this will be a determinant to your placement matches. Meaning, I could be matched with similar players of the same MMR on those placement matches.

So meaning, If I played yesterday at the start of the season, I should be matched up with Arken and co. yesterday.

No it was this bad yesterday. people want to win pips. they don’t care if they win or lose because they still get pips.

With that said, the MM is the kittening worst ever.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in PvP

BlaqueFyre.5678

No it was this bad yesterday. people want to win pips. they don’t care if they win or lose because they still get pips.

Wait for the Mmrs to settle since everyone was brought to the 1200 baseline it literally started yesterday..

in PvP

Posted by: Oldyoung.6109

Oldyoung.6109

initial mmr seems to be based on your previous ranked mmr if you didn’t have you start at 1200 i don’t know how placement score is calculated.

in PvP

StickerHappy.8052

They brought everyone from all sides of the spectrum to close to the 1200 baseline for the placement matches from there your placement matches determine your starting Mmr. So you had all skill levels playing against each other.

So they say The placement matches will place you on your appropriate MMR? How does the system decide on that if all the matches and teammates you have are utter trash..? So if we lose the game is that on me?

in PvP

StickerHappy.8052

initial mmr seems to be based on your previous ranked mmr if you didn’t have you start at 1200 i don’t know how placement score is calculated.

Yea this was what I was guessing. So if I played yesterday, I would be matched with people with the same previous ranked MMR for placement matches?

in PvP

BrotherBelial.3094

Wait for the Mmrs to settle since everyone was brought to the 1200 baseline it literally started yesterday..

If I have to wait, then what was the point in the placement matches? So I played 10 games for make-believe? The MM is a joke, out of 20 matches I’ve won 6! The skill gap in teams is laughable, and I have to laugh because if I don’t it would be worthy of crying over.

The whole point of the placement matches was to stop blow out’s but all it’s done it make them so, you win easy or you get hammered. losing 14 games on the bounce is not fun at kittening all.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|

in PvP

Posted by: Oldyoung.6109

Oldyoung.6109

Yea this was what I was guessing. So if I played yesterday, I would be matched with people with the same previous ranked MMR for placement matches?

you’ll be matched with people close to your mmr placement matches only affect the score you get from w/l it doesn’t use an alternate matchmaking algorithm.

in PvP

BlaqueFyre.5678

If I have to wait, then what was the point in the placement matches? So I played 10 games for make-believe? The MM is a joke, out of 20 matches I’ve won 6! The skill gap in teams is laughable, and I have to laugh because if I don’t it would be worthy of crying over.

The whole point of the placement matches was to stop blow out’s but all it’s done it make them so, you win easy or you get hammered. losing 14 games on the bounce is not fun at kittening all.

You do realize there was a huge influx of PvE players that probably had the average Mmr because they heard easy Ascended rewards. And with everyone still going through placement matches the Mmr doesn’t magically settle instantly because not everyone played yesterday so there is that it takes a few days after a mass Mmr reset..

in PvP

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

What’s wrong with losing all the time?

I thought that was life.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

in PvP

BrotherBelial.3094

You do realize there was a huge influx of PvE players that probably had the average Mmr because they heard easy Ascended rewards. And with everyone still going through placement matches the Mmr doesn’t magically settle instantly because not everyone played yesterday so there is that it takes a few days after a mass Mmr reset..

So what your saying is the placement matches are pointless. Gotcha.

in PvP

BlaqueFyre.5678

Apparently you don’t understand how simple Mmr systems work you got a rough placement gen after that you either increase or decrease right now the soft reset bunched everyone’s Mmr close together, the more you play and the further into the season the more accurate your mmr will be, the placement matches gave a rough baseline for you to individually start out at. They serve a purpose. The game has very little data to begin the season with, it would be no different than if they reset everyone down to the same starting Mmr and didn’t have placement matches.

in PvP

BrotherBelial.3094

Apparently you don’t understand how simple Mmr systems work you got a rough placement gen after that you either increase or decrease right now the soft reset bunched everyone’s Mmr close together, the more you play and the further into the season the more accurate your mmr will be, the placement matches gave a rough baseline for you to individually start out at. They serve a purpose. The game has very little data to begin the season with, it would be no different than if they reset everyone down to the same starting Mmr and didn’t have placement matches.

So like I said, the placement matches are pointless. It seems you don’t understand that there is no point to them, your explanation says they are pointless as the result is the same as if everyone started on square 1.

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I wouldn’t bother with this guy unless you want an infraction or posts deleted/moderated. He’ll keep quoting on a never ending cycle and you will get the blame for thread derailment or any sound logical argument thrown his way will get deleted off forums without even a message from the support team.

On topic though I think this season match making is pretty good…. My games have all been 30 points roughly apart all game, been some intense fights and plays and hasn’t been any steam rolls except the matches that people DC and spawn afk.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

in PvP

Posted by: ReaperJr.5967

ReaperJr.5967

I dont get why everyone is complaining about placement matches. If you realise, placement matches are used in every competitive pvp game and they work well especially when we have solo queue.

Placement matches are for better players to skip the lower ‘ELO hell’ (Glicko in this case), and if you didn’t manage to do that, it just means you’re not as good as you thought you were.

Literally, like in dota 2 or HotS, they have solo q placement matches and you notice one trend: the good players always manage to get a better rating at the end of placement matches. This is how smurf accounts are born. They don’t have control over their team mates either, and they are also playing a team game. Go figure.

Lord Ninth \\ Champion Magus
- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

in PvP

StickerHappy.8052

I dont get why everyone is complaining about placement matches. If you realise, placement matches are used in every competitive pvp game and they work well especially when we have solo queue.

Placement matches are for better players to skip the lower ‘ELO hell’ (Glicko in this case), and if you didn’t manage to do that, it just means you’re not as good as you thought you were.

Literally, like in dota 2 or HotS, they have solo q placement matches and you notice one trend: the good players always manage to get a better rating at the end of placement matches. This is how smurf accounts are born. They don’t have control over their team mates either, and they are also playing a team game. Go figure.

Uhmm so what you mean to say Marvin also is a bad player because he didn’t do good on placement matches right?

in PvP

StickerHappy.8052

So like I said, the placement matches are pointless. It seems you don’t understand that there is no point to them, your explanation says they are pointless as the result is the same as if everyone started on square 1.

They are pointless. It is a fact now. From what I understand from the people commenting here, “Placement matches are there to help you place where you are rightfully to be” So in itself, How does a system dictate that? So if your teammates are intentionally whack so it is your fault right? – This is what I understood from what the people are saying.

My friend recently told me that YourFriendMarvin from PZ also had horrible placement matches. So what does that tell you?

in PvP

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

This is not a flaw.

Placement matches MM are more random because you only have an average MMR, probably with a high volatility as well.

After 10 games, you should be closer to where your skill level belongs to. But don’t expect it to be super accurate. You will need to keep playing to settle to where you belong.

in PvP

StickerHappy.8052

This is not a flaw.

Placement matches MM are more random because you only have an average MMR, probably with a high volatility as well.

After 10 games, you should be closer to where your skill level belongs to. But don’t expect it to be super accurate. You will need to keep playing to settle to where you belong.

Yeap. So no matter what you get in placement matches it doesn’t matter. That I know now.

Average MMR? did someone get a 700+ MMR for placement matches?

in PvP

Posted by: ReaperJr.5967

ReaperJr.5967

Uhmm so what you mean to say Marvin also is a bad player because he didn’t do good on placement matches right?

No system is perfect. There’s definitely bound to be an occasional outlier where good players don’t get placed accordingly. Using a sample size of 1 player to judge a system is inaccurate at best. I can use a similar counterargument, but better. How about all the good players who are placed highly? Doesn’t that indicate the system is working well?

Lord Ninth \\ Champion Magus
- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

in PvP

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

Without the exact algorithm, it’s hard to give an analysis of exactly how the system is working, but one of the ways to explain it would be to first assume (really, it’s more than an assumption; we already know that there are separations) that Ranked MMR isn’t the only MMR attached to your account.

This is important, because it means that when the season soft resets everyone’s MMR (aka resets it within the ranked season queue, while leaving all other MMR values intact), we all start with the same level of deviation.

Deviation is going to decrease as you play matches, which will therefore continuously lower the amount that a person fluctuates up and down the MMR ladder, barring the matchmaking algorithm creating lopsided matchups that would skew values (you winning a match you had a 99% probability of losing and is incredibly average team rating mismatched; which more than likely ANets system will never allow).

So, granted all of that fairly general information (for ANY MMR system), what do placement matches do?

Placement matches allow the system to gather enough statistics on you to place you into a bracket and start attempting to create balanced matches for you within an initial assigned rating tier. The placement matches therefore don’t affect deviation, or do so with a gentle hand.

The placement matches are intended to be volatile as the system attempts to give you an initial placement, which is also why the game doesn’t show you an MMR while you do your placements even though it effectively assigns you one the moment the system gathers a statistic.

As an example, if we all started at 1200 MMR, 1 win might place you at max rating; 2350 (more than likely not, it’s set to maximum achievable value that isn’t the max MMR), and a loss after that could mean that you drop to 1400, and then a win puts you at 1900, and then so on, etc etc, we don’t know their algorithm, but it tries to put you where you’re performing based on 10 matches by inflating and deflating your hidden MMR, more than likely based on averages and artificial rating floors and ceilings.

Then, because your deviation wasn’t affected by the placement matches, if you were placed too low, you can now rapidly climb (or in the opposite case fall) to the position on the ladder more balanced for your matches to take place, with the concept of the system being that over time, if you are placed perfectly within a skill tier, you will only have a 50% winrate.

Anyhow, that’s an incredibly rough breakdown, but I hope it helps.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

(edited by jcbroe.4329)

in PvP

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

Lost more than half my placement matches on one account due to:
1. dc
2. afk
3. my favorite: a drunk norn thief player

Stupid and close losses that would have been quite easily winable without those things.

Result? I had to start at bronze, third tier. Out of placement matches now, Ive won every single match and climbed steadily through silver.

So loosing those placement matches isnt the end of the world. Its just annoying because you get to “enjoy” playing with noobs for a while longer than without those losses.

On the other hand, Ive got a friend that played all his placement matches with a quite good player as duoqueue. He now got placed just way too high and is on a loosing streak thats not fun anymore.
So winning your placement matches isnt the best for enjoyable pvp either

Basically, loosing all your placement matches just means more matches needed to climb to your correct rating.

I think, winning all your placement matches and getting placed too high is actually the more painful experience, because you will and have to drop down.

in PvP

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

This is not a flaw.

Yeap. So no matter what you get in placement matches it doesn’t matter. That I know now.

Average MMR? did someone get a 700+ MMR for placement matches?

Everyone starting the placement has a close to average MMR. .

in PvP

Posted by: Bardly.2571

Bardly.2571

I don’t understand how this was supposed to be more indicative of your personal ability. You already have the framework for “Top Kills, Top Heal, Top Defense”. . .just use those.

Ideally, the people who are at the TOP of their games, will continually move up. . .

It doesn’t need to be that complicated.

in PvP

Bardly.2571

And for the people who will say its about the team. . .that would be fine. . .accept you can’t q as a team.

And its not like you couldn’t figure Win/Loss in somewhere. And if you want to say it’s too complicated. . .Programming the glow affects is contemplated. . .pure numbers and lists is not.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

I don’t understand how this was supposed to be more indicative of your personal ability. You already have the framework for “Top Kills, Top Heal, Top Defense”. . .just use those.

Ideally, the people who are at the TOP of their games, will continually move up. . .

Because top stats don’t necessary say much. For example as guard or ele you can kill necro minions 24/7 and get insane dmg numbers because of it but not actually kill anyone, as thief you do lowest dmg in game but the dmg you do actually scores kills.
The game is also not as great at tracking buffs like tranq or constant decaps.
What if enemy is trying to kill your Lord and you will lose match if you don’t defend it – you won’t get great stats for it but you probably saved the match for your team.

What if someone is training your necro and you peel for them and then run off to decap – you also won’t get great stats despite saving the fight and the match.

My friend is dying and i drop stealth for him to save him – it won’t show up on stats.

Those stats are very unforgiving for roamers from my experience so far. Most common i get ironically are rezzes for teammates (lol sr) and kills when i am running like murder machine around. My friend plays engi – he usually ends up with 4 stats every match. We do our jobs, just in different ways but stats don’t reflect it.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

So they say The placement matches will place you on your appropriate MMR? How does the system decide on that if all the matches and teammates you have are utter trash..? So if we lose the game is that on me?

This highlights a problem with using pure Elo/Glicko for an individual player in a system with constantly shifting teams. Many games use a modifier to try and account for individual contribution to help above average players from being weighed down by significantly weaker teammates.

The main arguments against this kind of compensation are: 1. the method of determining it is a grey area and 2. eventually you’ll stabilize while the weaker players go down – i.e. you can’t be unlucky forever.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in PvP

Bardly.2571

Because top stats don’t necessary say much. For example as guard or ele you can kill necro minions 24/7 and get insane dmg numbers because of it but not actually kill anyone, as thief you do lowest dmg in game but the dmg you do actually scores kills.
The game is also not as great at tracking buffs like tranq or constant decaps.
What if enemy is trying to kill your Lord and you will lose match if you don’t defend it – you won’t get great stats for it but you probably saved the match for your team.

What if someone is training your necro and you peel for them and then run off to decap – you also won’t get great stats despite saving the fight and the match.

My friend is dying and i drop stealth for him to save him – it won’t show up on stats.

Those stats are very unforgiving for roamers from my experience so far. Most common i get ironically are rezzes for teammates (lol sr) and kills when i am running like murder machine around. My friend plays engi – he usually ends up with 4 stats every match. We do our jobs, just in different ways but stats don’t reflect it.

Yes, but if you don’t factor individual performance in somehow you end up with a system where the easiest matches will be at the top and the hardest at the bottom since you cant team up. (Hardest not even in terms of difficulty, but in terms of the hardest for someone to move up through since their team can be any level of skill.)

Win Loss ratio only shows how good a team is when you pick the team or when all the individuals know how to play. . .

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Ugh, placement is meaningless. The only rating number that matters is the one you have at the end of season.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

BrotherBelial.3094

I wouldn’t bother with this guy unless you want an infraction or posts deleted/moderated. He’ll keep quoting on a never ending cycle and you will get the blame for thread derailment or any sound logical argument thrown his way will get deleted off forums without even a message from the support team.

On topic though I think this season match making is pretty good…. My games have all been 30 points roughly apart all game, been some intense fights and plays and hasn’t been any steam rolls except the matches that people DC and spawn afk.

So your having good games, that means everything is working fine and there are no problems? Wow. The idea behind the placement matches where so people are not getting steam rolled by players way better than them right? That was the point correct? If this was the point, for the average player, it failed. I know I’m not a PvP god, but I know an out of whack MM system and a flawed placement system.

The advice of people need to wait for the better players to clear out means the system didn’t work. On paper it’s a great idea, I was looking forward to some fun games on maps that where not col. Guess I was hoping for too much.

But at least your games ate fun, so no one else matters right?

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

So your having good games, that means everything is working fine and there are no problems? Wow. The idea behind the placement matches where so people are not getting steam rolled by players way better than them right? That was the point correct? If this was the point, for the average player, it failed. I know I’m not a PvP god, but I know an out of whack MM system and a flawed placement system.

The advice of people need to wait for the better players to clear out means the system didn’t work. On paper it’s a great idea, I was looking forward to some fun games on maps that where not col. Guess I was hoping for too much.

If you say so.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in PvP

Posted by: Nova.3817

Nova.3817

my exp. with placement is….. i find myself well under placed…. i had some really awful teammates running vanilla builds not even good ones in my 10 placement games….

i know what your thinking oh im sure…..but im literally on a 8 game win streak after it and im still only mid gold lol and most my duels (im necro aswell) i win in flawless duels…which shouldnt be the case…

i just feel like it was bad placement im not worried about it bc ill eventually end up where i need to be but its still annoying that some of my mates who know im a stronger player then they placed much higher then me….just feels like its really luck based….

of course i offer only criticism and no solution just telling my exp…

in PvP

Posted by: Honest John.4673

Honest John.4673

I’d really like to see your footage. Judging from your video card you have shadowplay, right? Just record a match or 2 and we’ll see for sure how good you are, how you never make any mistakes, communicate well, and how only your teammates make bad rotations/decisions and the enemy team doesn’t make mistakes at all.

I’m sure once we see what we’re dealing with here come to light it’ll prove your point. :^)

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

Anyone who played the first day of Season should not expect fantastic games. There was a soft reset with all players bunched up closer together. Plus new players wanting to see what the new league is like.

I didn’t play first day but I played yesterday (only had time for 8 matches so no placement yet) however 7 of those matches were close fun games with 2 of those at 500/460 scores. Only one was a blowout loss. So for me at least I had 7 really fun matches. Small sample size but MM was ok for me. I would guess come next week it should be better for overall as players move into their correct divisions

Also loving the super short Q times right now.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "