Followup to Matchmaking Changes

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

This is a followup to the matchmaking changes in the recent patch where we fixed a problem regarding parties getting an unintended ‘slack’ in their matchmaking parameters. Previously, parties were getting matched against a wider range of opponents. Now that parties are getting much more accurate opponents, we can see that our rating boost for pre-mades is too high and the smaller roster sizes are winning too often. We are lowering the party rating boost a small amount to account for this.

Thanks for the continued feedback on matchmaking. Your posts lead directly to investigating gaps in our data which in turn lead to improvements of the system.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in PvP

Posted by: Salamander.2504

Salamander.2504

Right on.

in PvP

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

I have been experiencing the opposite of this.

Most premades I have come across have been blow outs in both ways, in their favor or agaisnt. The queue times were 5 mins average, and I was consistently paired with premades as a soloQ.

Perhaps I had a small sample size, but I felt I was fighting a lot less soloQers now than before.

Attachments:

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

(edited by Fortus.6175)

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

Thank you for keeping an eye on the match making!

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

in PvP

Posted by: Sunshine.5014

Sunshine.5014

Thank you! Please keep monitoring.

One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of people don’t play seriously anymore. They also run a lot of weird builds. That may or may not effect your match making.

Gray out the HP for future condition damage
Already quit PvP. Just log in here and there to troll.

in PvP

Fortus.6175

One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of people don’t play seriously anymore. They also run a lot of weird builds. That may or may not effect your match making.

This.

I have yet to run any build that isn’t too far off the meta, but I know plenty of people who are running them, specially in groups. In fact, I came across 2 full premades of 5 that were mostly trying out new builds, including, for both of them, 2 fresh air eles (which were, as expected, totally UP and blew in 2 seconds without accomplishing much).

Im sure this will skew the data, perhaps we should give it more time for the meta to settle a bit?

Legendary SoloQ

in PvP

Posted by: LastHope.8127

LastHope.8127

This.

I have yet to run any build that isn’t too far off the meta, but I know plenty of people who are running them, specially in groups. In fact, I came across 2 full premades of 5 that were mostly trying out new builds, including, for both of them, 2 fresh air eles (which were, as expected, totally UP and blew in 2 seconds without accomplishing much).

Im sure this will skew the data, perhaps we should give it more time for the meta to settle a bit?

Auramancer ele is a far far far way from meta builds since patch mate. (I know the meta hasn’t settled yet)

in PvP

Fortus.6175

This.

Auramancer ele is a far far far way from meta builds since patch mate. (I know the meta hasn’t settled yet)

That wasnt an auramancer, that was actually a mercenary build I was trying out, Water/Air/Tempest with soldier runes for some condi cleansing. Like I said, Im not deviating too much from meta, I just dropped earth for air (in the metabuild website that was actually a suggestion lol) and tried to adapt with a different amulet for damage. So far it isnt that bad, but it is a sad state indeed.

Legendary SoloQ

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Also keep in mind that players who have not played in unranked for the duration of season 1 will have more volatile ratings. This will result in some volatility at the beginning of the season break.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

Thanks for the longer countdown on the q pop also – just noticed that!

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Posted by: Akkeros.1675

Akkeros.1675

This is a followup to the matchmaking changes in the recent patch where we fixed a problem regarding parties getting an unintended ‘slack’ in their matchmaking parameters. Previously, parties were getting matched against a wider range of opponents. Now that parties are getting much more accurate opponents, we can see that our rating boost for pre-mades is too high and the smaller roster sizes are winning too often. We are lowering the party rating boost a small amount to account for this.

Thanks for the continued feedback on matchmaking. Your posts lead directly to investigating gaps in our data which in turn lead to improvements of the system.

Evan,
You clearly keep up with forums and strive to make on-the-fly adjustments. Why is there no one doing this in WvW (or seemingly anywhere else)? There has to be data for reset night, problems with empty BL’s, population loss, power increases with no large scale defensive answer, etc…
Are you even able to look at WvW forums to answer a few questions, make a few comments, quell attrition, just say a few hopeful words?

Just curious. Keep up the good work. May the schwartz be with you.

Sorry to but in on this forum guys. Please disregard if I have offended anyone.