Food for thought for ArenaNet

in PvP

Posted by: Fallen.4317

Fallen.4317

http://postimg.org/image/z4husdh3j/full/

This is an unedited screenshot of a fight between players from NA servers and EU servers in our “made up game mode” we call GvG here in GW2.

While we may all agree that simple team deathmatch 20v20 in a flat surface can be bland and is hardly a game mode, I think that this picture shows you the real interest in large scale PvP. Keep in mind, this is a completely and totally unofficial game-mode, with very little publicity or advertisement. The viewers on this are kitten near what ESL got, with all the publicity and whatnot you guys had on that. Imagine if you had hyped this.

I just ask that you folks at ArenaNet reconsider what your true focus is as far as what the PvP in this game entails. I love PvP, I’m rank 80, play it a lot. I loved large scale WvW fighting as well.

But the lack of a true player versus player mode with a larger scale basis that focuses on the true mechanics of the game’s combat system is a huge business blunder and something I definitely believe could benefit your company.

I think we all understand that WvW is a bit more casual of a game mode – there is no true rewards or incentives to play. This is totally fine, but ANET, you’re missing a massive business opportunity sitting right under your nose by overlooking the community of players that are interested in larger scale COMPETITIVE PvP. You’re never going to compete with League of Legends with Stronghold. But you’re overlooking an entire market because it seems to me, from the outside, that from a business standpoint you’re trying to get a slice of the MOBA pie when you could have a whole pie all to yourself.

Your game has an amazing combat system and an amazing capability to have very intense, teamwork-oriented fights at a larger scale. To be completely honest, I legitimately don’t think I’ve ever seen a game come close to the ability that you have currently to create a PvP mode to support a mid-scale (10-20 vs. 10-20) competitive PvP scene with the success I believe you would have.

I am not asking for GvG. I am asking for you to consider the possibility of having “raid size” COMPETITIVE player versus player, as I believe there is an entire untapped market out there that you would be able to benefit from without having to compete with games like SMITE, League, or DotA.

Just food for thought.

Attachments:

Syndictive [Syn] #1 GvG Guild NA pre- Heart of Thorns
[Syn] Leader/Driver – Retired.

(edited by Fallen.4317)

in PvP

Posted by: Serkit.7836

Serkit.7836

I personally think this should happen, but it probably will not because ANet.

in PvP

Posted by: Arius.7031

Arius.7031

+1, hopefully with the facts readily available to finally back us up, maybe we’ll actually be considered.

Jorek/Etharin/Raylus
Darkhaven Commander
Co-leader of [Sold]

in PvP

Posted by: Tyyphoon.5301

Tyyphoon.5301

+1. I would love to see a 20v20 Deathmatch game-mode (maybe even with possible different map-rotations). I remember thats all I used to play in games such as Age of Empires and Counter-strike.

ANet is just too invested in the PPT/PvE game-mode on a business level. Even their tPvP and WvW game modes emphasize these with NPC interaction in a PvP setting. Moreover, the new tPvP Stronghold map and probably the new WvW Borderlands maps are even more dependent on this previous game design.

It is rather disappointing, but perhaps some other game company (if not ANet) grasps this concept and implements it well for players interested in this game-mode in the coming future and profits greatly, as a result.

Tyyphóón (Lv 80 Thief) | Mini Tyy (Lv 80 Ele) [Maguuma]
Mag is the No.1 killer of WvW. -Exciton.8942
What does not kill me, makes me stronger. -Nietzsche

(edited by Tyyphoon.5301)

in PvP

Posted by: zedixa.4063

zedixa.4063

I just want to point out that this isn’t the only time this kind of stuff has happened.

A few months back from TA (EU powerhouse) ventured to NA to fight the top guilds, their fight with Aggression (NA powerhouse) had around 4k live viewers. Here is a link to that, by the way:
http://www.twitch.tv/chemsorly/c/4557568

Another example is when Syn and TM fought, and it had a decent pool of players that came out to watch it live aswell, here’s the link to that:
http://www.twitch.tv/kyle_the_savage/c/5480730

Also note how both of these are shoutcasted, 4k live viewers and shoutcasting by players within the community for a made-up game mode that is totally self-driven? Not bad, huh?

And if Anet were to give a hand to this, even more people would come out to the twitch streams to watch and poke their nose to see what it’s all about.

Also, lets put this to perspective.
Here is the recent WTS finals hosted in Boston: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIkJmb7PeyM

Here is the video of TA vs Agg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6feP_GRLw0

A game-mode that is 100% supported by Anet and a 50k cash prize pool gets 20k views on youtube, versus a COMPLETELY player made-up game mode with absolutely zero support from anet manages 16k views on youtube.

And they say GvG is not worth supporting?

Seriously Anet, wake up, you’ve got the best balanced combat in any MMO out there right now, and your neglecting to take advantage of it. I’m not asking to make GvG on a esports level, just give it a little bit more attention and make it an actual game mode so players will naturally be attracted to it instead of having to find out about it through the community. Would seriously keep alot of players playing the game and alot more people actively taking part in WvW and GvG which would result in a more sustainable game population overall.

Just keep an eye out for when HoT drops, ALOT of really good guilds and players have vowed to come back for HoT and be super competitve and recreate the scene once again, I expect it to be the most active scene the game will probably ever witness, and the number of players that will tune in to it will be fairly high with all the changes to the game. It would be the PERFECT time to implement something for GvG.

Also, here is a nice compilation of notable GvGs from the past just to give some insight about what the game mode is about and what top tier competitive fights look like.

- Agg vs TA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNFu_0gl3Lc – NS vs TA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz9iqSywHjI – NS vs Agg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTUp96Y51yU – Agg vs EP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-phbmZC4I4 – EP vs Ark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv_fHBSRArA – EP vs ST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dySMaZODeLQ – Syn vs NS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpbO5G7o-Mg – Syn vs TM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIgVVlp6AK4 – TM vs CM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtRcnI-snrA – TA vs VII
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNWs47koOeQ – TA vs dF

I could keep going, but I’m sure you get the point.

Not to mention the fact that some individuals within the scene put alot of time and effort to make GvG a little better and more available to the public, such as Equinox’s GvG Profession Playbook videos, and Kyle’s coverage of GvGs.
https://www.youtube.com/user/EPEquinox/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/GW2NAGVG/videos

The player base is there, the commitment is there, the competition is there.
All it needs is a helping hand from Anet.

Syndictive [Syn]
- Zed

(edited by zedixa.4063)

in PvP

Posted by: Delune.4817

Delune.4817

Nice constructive post and I agree. +1

Commander All The Delune, Fort Aspenwood
Guild Leader of [TK]
“FA, stomping bandwagons since 2012….”

in PvP

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

It really does seem like A-net is missing a huge opportunity here.

CCCP….

in PvP

Posted by: Vlad.7529

Vlad.7529

Them thinking that their 5v5 mode of wannabe moba is gvg, truly the funny part.

in PvP

Posted by: Bee.6239

Bee.6239

You put way too much effort into this

freebump before anet deletes

in PvP

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

Let’s be frank though, how’s it monetize compared to its cost?

in PvP

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

MOBA train already left the station. Anet should really consider supporting fight guilds that enjoy large scale combat (not with siege, not fighting over a small circle, not with a ton of other random people jumping in).

Whispers with meat.

in PvP

Posted by: Saruon.4085

Saruon.4085

ANet never has and never will care about fight guilds.

[Aggression] -Relentless by Nature-
We <3 Haters
The Prophet of Aggression

in PvP

Posted by: soxfan.3189

soxfan.3189

It is interesting that a game called “Guild Wars” do not have a PvP mode that would support the number of players that many guilds in this game have. I believe that the max the current PvP arena’s can have is 10v10. And they said Stronghold could be as many as 8v8.

in PvP

Posted by: logs.1493

logs.1493

The amount of work that hardcore WvW guilds put in to theorycrafting and practicing is unparalleled by everyone except the top tier of sPvP teams. We’re all here because this game has THE SINGLE BEST combat system for large scale PvP that there has ever been.

We’ve played this game for 3 years without in game reward or developer recognition, and unfortunately this will continue because Arenanet is set on their vision of a massive PvE community that funds the game while struggling to pull viewers away from true esport MOBAS. We seem to be the ugly duckling of the GW2 community.

But OP is 100% right about the missed market. Look at the number of people who know and greatly respect the names TA, NS, Agg, Syn, HoW, Red Guard, and many many more compared to Abjured. Look at how many guilds aspire and work hard to compete with them. Look at the MASSIVE community WvW guilds like Ons, TW, CERN that keep server identity’s alive and fund teamspeaks after the megaserver. Look at the server politics that have caused in game rivalries second only to EVE.

It’s a complete travesty that Arenanet has largely ignored this community and the very simple things we have been asking for since the launch of the game. EOTM was the only substantial thing they gave us IN 3 YEARS and it turned out to be a enormous joke and essentially just another place to PvE.

in PvP

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

Be a bit more creative with the vanity gem shop offerings for one.

• Custom commander tag packs (stars, swords, staves, hearts, skulls, letters, class icons, numbers, whatever; switch packs like we do finishers).
  • More varied armor skins (looking at you trench coats) and not just entire all or nothing “outfits”.
  • Guild capes.
  • Gem shop only weapon skins that can be dyed.
  • Gem shop emotes.
  • Some more trolly finishers (they’re getting there with the rainbow unicorn). I want to stomp someone with the fiery breath of Balthazar or a knock off carebear that hugs itself while twirling around spraying confetti and sparkles. :P

Just stuff off the top of my head.
——-
I’m certain if they added custom arena with PvE rules people would pay for them.

Whispers with meat.

in PvP

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

I’m not a huge fan of participating in PvP in either GW1 or GW2 but I’ve always found it really odd how there was nothing akin to GvG in GW2. If anything like this gets added along with something like the Observer mode from GW1 I would be interested.

in PvP

Posted by: rgthree.7510

rgthree.7510

+1 agree with what has been stated in this thread

It’s a shame that gw2’s amazing combat system for large scale combat is not supported at all by anet. Multiple guilds of 20+ people have been fighting each other for 2.5 years without support, imagine how lively the community would be with it. It doesn’t make sense to me not to take advantage of a lively community that will give you money if you pour just a little amount of work into it.

pls anet

in PvP

Posted by: adrielle.2109

adrielle.2109

-waves from Tier 8-

Hello Anet. GvG is even popular down here in Bronze Tier!

[VOX] vs. [SN] 2/10/2015 (4 – 1)
[VOX] vs. [HK] 2/17/2015 (1 – 4)
[VOX] vs. [Jynx] 2/19/2015 (1 – 4)
[Bard] vs. [Maki] 2/20/2015 (0 – 3)
[VNG] vs. [Jynx] 2/25/2015 (8 – 1)
[Jynx] vs. [VOX] 3/3/2015 (8 – 3)
[VOX] vs. [DoD] 3/12/2015 (1 – 4)
[Krew] vs. [Jynx] 3/21/2015 (2 – 1)
[SL] vs. [BAT] 3/22/2015 (6 – 0)
[HT] vs. [Jynx] 3/23/2015 (0 – 6)
[VNG] vs. [Jynx] 3/29/2015 (8 – 2)
[vox] vs. [BAT] 3/30/2015 (5 – 0)
[SL] vs. [ALS] 3/30/2015 (3 – 0)
[MOA] vs. [Phnx] 3/31/2015 (7 – 3)
[Jynx] vs. [Phnx] 4/5/2015
[HK] vs. [Noop] 4/6/2015 (5 – 1)
[Krew] vs. [Jynx] 4/7/2015 (9 – 4)
[NK] vs. [Jynx] 4/7/2015 (10 – 3)
[Jynx] vs. [Phnx] 4/12/2015
[vox] vs. [BAT] 4/13/2015 (5 – 0)
[vox] vs. [ALS] 4/13/2015 (5 – 0)
[Noop] vs. [HK] 4/24/15 (3 – 0)
[MOA] vs. [SA] 4/24/2015 (3 – 0)
[Krew] vs. [Jynx] 4/26/15 (2 – 3)
[Noop] vs. [Jynx] 4/26/15 (8 – 3)

I could go on, but I think you get the point.

Zeeb Rah – Maguuma and Sea of Sorrows
Retired DR Server Admin; Retired Guild leader – Virtue of Xenia [VOX]

in PvP

Posted by: Relakos.6439

Relakos.6439

“Guild” Wars, with no support for wars between guilds…

Bump for support

Relokas the Hammer | Tempest Wolves [TW]

in PvP

Posted by: Equinox.4195

Equinox.4195

Also, there were 1,000+ viewers for other GvGs like EP vs ST, and Scnd vs VII, and I had thousands of views on the EP vs Agg upset video from years ago. Talk about hype.

And of course, GvG Showdown, which can still be searched for on YouTube was a huge deal back in the day.

-waves from Tier 8-

Hello Anet. GvG is even popular down here in Bronze Tier!

[VOX] vs. [SN] 2/10/2015 (4 – 1)
[VOX] vs. [HK] 2/17/2015 (1 – 4)
[VOX] vs. [Jynx] 2/19/2015 (1 – 4)
[Bard] vs. [Maki] 2/20/2015 (0 – 3)
[VNG] vs. [Jynx] 2/25/2015 (8 – 1)
[Jynx] vs. [VOX] 3/3/2015 (8 – 3)
[VOX] vs. [DoD] 3/12/2015 (1 – 4)
[Krew] vs. [Jynx] 3/21/2015 (2 – 1)
[SL] vs. [BAT] 3/22/2015 (6 – 0)
[HT] vs. [Jynx] 3/23/2015 (0 – 6)
[VNG] vs. [Jynx] 3/29/2015 (8 – 2)
[vox] vs. [BAT] 3/30/2015 (5 – 0)
[SL] vs. [ALS] 3/30/2015 (3 – 0)
[MOA] vs. [Phnx] 3/31/2015 (7 – 3)
[Jynx] vs. [Phnx] 4/5/2015
[HK] vs. [Noop] 4/6/2015 (5 – 1)
[Krew] vs. [Jynx] 4/7/2015 (9 – 4)
[NK] vs. [Jynx] 4/7/2015 (10 – 3)
[Jynx] vs. [Phnx] 4/12/2015
[vox] vs. [BAT] 4/13/2015 (5 – 0)
[vox] vs. [ALS] 4/13/2015 (5 – 0)
[Noop] vs. [HK] 4/24/15 (3 – 0)
[MOA] vs. [SA] 4/24/2015 (3 – 0)
[Krew] vs. [Jynx] 4/26/15 (2 – 3)
[Noop] vs. [Jynx] 4/26/15 (8 – 3)

I could go on, but I think you get the point.

This makes me sad because there are so many guilds outside of the tiers we’re stuck in. People are constantly feeling like GvG is dead and there’s nothing to fight. The truth is that we simply can’t fight all the guilds that do exist, but outside of our tier. I want to one day fight your guilds under the tag [EP]. Here’s hoping ArenaNet implements something to make that a possibility.

Equinox the Undying – Thug Necromancer
http://www.youtube.com/EPEquinox

in PvP

Posted by: MokoToko.6890

MokoToko.6890

I think quite frankly the largest disappointment here that seems to be the recurring theme is this:

ArenaNet, you currently have the single most beautiful game in current existence for combat, with literally the most natural and liquid feeling style and pace of combat that – gasp – even allows for perfect counterplay through dodge rolls, movement, AND built-in mechanics. Mind you, you’ve done a little bit of destruction to the counterplay aspect with the way you’re handling the balancing of classes recently; especially leading up to this new specialization change (Rangers needed another kitten buff? Are you serious? No one on the balancing staff clearly plays ranger at all – and if you do, you’re trash if you can’t see how ungodly unbalanced the damage modifiers on longbow are for how far away they can attack from. But that’s another story for another thread).

But not only are you neglecting to realize the full fruition of the beauty of your combat engine, but you’ve even clearly shown through action after action that you literally don’t care about the very community that puts your game on a pedestal for competitive, team spvp. You’d rather ciphon the rest of the PvE community through countless gem shop updates on outfits that are horrendously designed or are – surprise! – ALL or nothing in their design (No mixing or matching if some parts look good and others don’t). You as a team would rather cater to the people who put the most amount of work to enjoying your game the VERY least (Come on, you have to admit that the meta of stacking in corners to kill ALL of your PvE content is the most ridiculous slap to the face of ANY game designer after all of the work your teams have put in). But the thing is, you can’t change the fact that your content in PvE is easy to kill because dodge rolls exist, but if you get rid of dodge rolls then you basically lose the fluidity that your game contains and will lose the vast majority of your competitive playerbase. The fact is, you’re upselling your game to the wrong crowd of people, who basically turn your content into a day in line at the DMV with how they stack in corners and stack the most amount of damage just to kill repetitive AI that no matter what – the PvE community will find a way to cheese them to death.

Be a bit more creative with the vanity gem shop offerings for one.

• Custom commander tag packs (stars, swords, staves, hearts, skulls, letters, class icons, numbers, whatever; switch packs like we do finishers).
  • More varied armor skins (looking at you trench coats) and not just entire all or nothing “outfits”.
  • Guild capes.
  • Gem shop only weapon skins that can be dyed.
  • Gem shop emotes.
  • Some more trolly finishers (they’re getting there with the rainbow unicorn). I want to stomp someone with the fiery breath of Balthazar or a knock off carebear that hugs itself while twirling around spraying confetti and sparkles. :P

Just stuff off the top of my head.
——-
I’m certain if they added custom arena with PvE rules people would pay for them.

Just right here you immediately have what could be the roots and beginning of your new cash cow to the competitive, structured 20v20 realm of players. I kid you not when I tell you that they will literally empty their wallets trying to keep up with the new items that allow them to tote around their guild pride and shame their enemies with the most ridiculous of finishers. And not only will the monetary value stem from the gem shop – imagine the publicity you will get, as stated before, if you publicly sponsored and hosted 20v20 events of your own? Sure the payout from events would get a little confusing, if not complex:

You would more than likely have a payout of $100,000 instead of $50,000, with each member of the 20 man team receiving $5,000 on their own. Sure the reward isn’t as lucrative as say, being a member of a winning 5 man spvp team for $50,000 (Each member receiving $10,000), but that would only be the icing on the cake for many of these players.

(edited by MokoToko.6890)

in PvP

Posted by: MokoToko.6890

MokoToko.6890

(Cont.)

You as a developer need to put into perspective the dedication many of these guilds have put into your game at this point with ABSOLUTELY NO REWARD. In fact, on multiple times you’ve quite honestly spit in their face. Not only does WvW have no reward for competing in it on a weekly basis (outside of the usual 2 or 3 “bonus chests” that – BIG SURPRISE - only contain 20 silver and 2 blues/greens), but these people have been continuously playing your game for 3 years now. They pray that someday, your teams will wake up and realize the mistake you’ve made by putting in no effort to at the very least have a closed arena for 20v20s where no adds can join in, there’s no points of interest to fight over, and there’s ABSOLUTELY NO PVE AI.

Now don’t get me wrong, I still love this game because – as I and countless others have stated – it is the most fluid and beautiful interplay/counterplay pvp system in existence, to this very date. The videos linked in early posts on this thread show you full 20 man teams that have theorycrafted and mastered your game’s mechanics, to a “T”. Everything from the combo system of leaps, whirls, and blasts to the very builds that they have worked hours upon hours upon hours of perfecting to the touch. With still, no reward – ever. The only reward we’ve ever received from doing any of this is the pride we feel when we zone into a map and people recognize your guild’s name, and the joy we get from seeing the fruition of our efforts come to be.

I would still love to be a supporter of ArenaNet, and to have the faith I once had in you guys many, many moons ago. But first we need to see effort from you showing that you care about the very people who worship your combat system.

(edited by MokoToko.6890)

in PvP

Posted by: Exodus.6501

Exodus.6501

I came here to post my support

in PvP

Posted by: Natronix.9827

Natronix.9827

HUGE +1

Fellas of ARENA NET, listen to your community! This is Guild wars, and guilds just want to fight on even terms. Good clean, honarable death battle in mass

Commander Nachonix

in PvP

Posted by: obastable.5231

obastable.5231

If the amount of interest you have currently going for sPvP is enough to make it worth investing in, then by default so is GvG in it’s current form.

1 – Create a GvG Arena that players can purchase, identical in purpose to the sPvP Arenas but with different (largely flat) maps with a different set of administrative parameters (obviously), and using WvW available gear/items. We’ll call them Guild Arenas, and let it be the birth of Guild PvP (gPvP).

2 – Put it in the Gem shop for $20 and sell a few hundred (at least).

3 – Wait a month or two, create some hype, and let us get accustomed to the gPvP Arenas. See what works, see what needs to be fixed, give us some options to remove or disable skills from arenas the same way we remove maps from rotation.

4 – Eventually introduce an automated ladder system based on team queuing. Balance and adjust as necessary, as with any competitive PvP.

The foundations to make all of this happen already exist in the game, ya just gotta put in some time/money to make it happen. You don’t even have to offer prizes or run tournaments any time soon, just create the tools to let us begin making this “imagined” game mode something we can all enjoy.

Invest in it at least half as much as your players have.

Hello Kitty Krewe
“Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare!”

in PvP

Posted by: Nyaniel.7340

Nyaniel.7340

I came here to post my support

[Envy] Envy

in PvP

Posted by: Santa.4753

Santa.4753

The problem that many people have with the continued support with sPvP over the community’s 20v20 “GvG” is that even with this continuous support by Arenanet there are still only small amounts of people that are actually competitive in that scene compared to the GvG scene. A stream today (Chemsorly TA vs USA) wasn’t hyped, has no cash prize, and didn’t even contain an American side that in all honestly didn’t even belong in the same OS as TA had close to 900 viewers. Many of the GvG guild players from the past have stopped playing and could easily have made the number of viewers reach much more than 1000 if it was hyped up or contained guilds of equal skill levels. It’s a win win for both Arena Net and the community. There is so much money to be made in this from the GvG players alone. I have bought 2 items in the gem store since the game has come out, but if GvG related items came out I guarantee I would purchase much, much more items from the gem store.

Although 20v20 doesn’t seem to have a lot of cohesion. I can’t even begin to describe the amount of hours and theory crafting that goes into making a guild successful at the top level. I have been in NS, Night Shift for almost 2 years now. The amount of time put in from each player to make everything work is definitely something worth paying attention to. On the surface it may not look as “esports” or marketable as sPvP, but I can guarantee if it was a supported game mode with proper arenas, ladders, and options to observe a GvG going on at any moment, it would be insanely popular and incredibly marketable. Watch any of the videos people have linked. The cohesion at the top level is something truly special and if rewarded I can only imagine how much better everything could get.

My Name Kris [YOLO] Bearbow Ranger

in PvP

Posted by: Gern.2978

Gern.2978

I hate zergfests. And I mean hate them. When I do WvW I either solo roam, or do it in a small guild group. As such, I don’t think I would derive much enjoyment from this game mode. However, I recognize that a lot of people would really like to see it, and as such I really hope A-net implements something like it. I want to see the diverse ways to play and enjoy this game grow.

In another note, If they do add something like this, I hope they provide something for the other end of the spectrum: 3v3’s, 2v2’s, 1v1’s. And I really, really hope they add a means of dueling outside of SPvP with PvE/WvW gear.

Hi, my name is Gern, and I’m an altoholic….

in PvP

Posted by: Kitta.3657

Kitta.3657

+1
(another thread that will be ignored)

mouth too blunt, truth too loud

in PvP

Posted by: logs.1493

logs.1493

The problem that many people have with the continued support with sPvP over the community’s 20v20 “GvG” is that even with this continuous support by Arenanet there are still only small amounts of people that are actually competitive in that scene compared to the GvG scene. A stream today (Chemsorly TA vs USA) wasn’t hyped, has no cash prize, and didn’t even contain an American side that in all honestly didn’t even belong in the same OS as TA had close to 900 viewers. Many of the GvG guild players from the past have stopped playing and could easily have made the number of viewers reach much more than 1000 if it was hyped up or contained guilds of equal skill levels. It’s a win win for both Arena Net and the community. There is so much money to be made in this from the GvG players alone. I have bought 2 items in the gem store since the game has come out, but if GvG related items came out I guarantee I would purchase much, much more items from the gem store.

Although 20v20 doesn’t seem to have a lot of cohesion. I can’t even begin to describe the amount of hours and theory crafting that goes into making a guild successful at the top level. I have been in NS, Night Shift for almost 2 years now. The amount of time put in from each player to make everything work is definitely something worth paying attention to. On the surface it may not look as “esports” or marketable as sPvP, but I can guarantee if it was a supported game mode with proper arenas, ladders, and options to observe a GvG going on at any moment, it would be insanely popular and incredibly marketable. Watch any of the videos people have linked. The cohesion at the top level is something truly special and if rewarded I can only imagine how much better everything could get.

Absolutely the right idea here.

in PvP

Posted by: virtue.7235

virtue.7235

Nothing has yet to come close to the thrill of winning that last round in an intense gvg.
+1

Serane – D/D Elementalist [Agg]
[Agg] WvW – http://www.youtube.com/user/SeraneGW2
Server? We move a lot.

in PvP

Posted by: SilverSparky.1053

SilverSparky.1053

I support this so hard. +1

!stopit

in PvP

Posted by: lollasaurus.1457

lollasaurus.1457

E for effort lad

in PvP

Posted by: Noodica.5428

Noodica.5428

+500
Been waiting way too long for this.

Midnight Mafia [MM]

in PvP

Posted by: Ufel.9504

Ufel.9504

Bump for at least an arena that does not allow randoms in to it. I personally prefer 10v10 or 15v15!

in PvP

Posted by: mako.6493

mako.6493

I remember the hype when the os was put in after the 1st season ended. I will never forget that week. We had a gvg everyday and everyone wanted to have fights in there. Anet is missing out on an opportunity and hopefully they see that.

in PvP

Posted by: Mr Ko Killer.7206

Mr Ko Killer.7206

My time in the GvG scene for the vast majority of 2014 was probably among the most fun of my gw2 tenure….I really cannot think of any other period during GW2 that I loved more than that, and i know a supported GvG scene would be among the best decisions anet will have ever made. Winning rounds you would think would be impossible otherwise, or come from behind wins for the take home, nothing beats that feeling. Although I feel like it’ll continue to fall on deaf ears, I support this 100 times over.

Jade Quarry’s TrollMaster General| Generation Of Legends [EviL] Leader

in PvP

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

This is something they should have added a long time ago. The interest in it, from both participation and spectating, is obvious.

And this is coming from someone with no interest in it at all. I see the demand in wvw, in guild chat, and from friends. It’s there and it’s obvious.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

in PvP

Posted by: Lance.5892

Lance.5892

but guise i want #pvesports

:<

the hope is that Guild Halls will give a place to tdm gvg 15v15/20v20

[VoTF] www.votf.net

(edited by Lance.5892)

in PvP

Posted by: madpig.3615

madpig.3615

+1 give us what so many of us want

in PvP

Posted by: Akaia.7823

Akaia.7823

+1, well written

[TA] Team Aggression – Kodash [DE]

in PvP

Posted by: KaiDarius.8723

KaiDarius.8723

I played GW1 GvG competitively for a very long time. In a game called GUILD Wars 2, I have no earthly idea why there is no gvg. Anet really, you are missing out on such a big market and alienating an entire group of players. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Ehmry Bay Strong
Ele Fanatic

in PvP

Posted by: Fallen.4317

Fallen.4317

Keep in mind, my original post wasn’t specifically asking for GvG as we know it. I don’t even want them to call it GvG at this point.

I simply want ArenaNet to open their eyes to the fact that all of us that participate in GvG, and many many players that have yet to be exposed to a “raid” scale PvP mode in GW2 (because none exists right now), have a massive interest in taking the game they have currently and creating a competitive “raid” scale PvP mode.

I have not even heard of another game that truly supports 10-20 players per team in an MMO setting that has truly competitive PvP at that scale. With the number of people interested, GW2 could create a monopoly on that playstyle – they’d be the first to introduce it as a core feature. Not to mention the combat system in this game is freaking fantastic, we want a game mode that we manipulate and master the combat system itself with small outside mechanics (siege in WvW, Khylo, Stronghold being a large outside mechanic).

Compared to the deathmatch “GvG” scene, frankly I’d much rather have a more complex mode- perhaps something related to objectives but with a focus on team fighting rather than NPC management (Stronghold) or object interaction (WvW). There’s a reason Legacy of the Foefire is the most popular PvP map – because it has a strong secondary objective and a more open layout which both rely heavily on player skill and team fights instead of delay tactics or map manipulation.

I understand there are clear obstacles for something of a slightly larger scale, such as the inability to PUG a group that size, or the issue of GvG as it is seeming like a clusterkitten of particle effects to spectators, etc. These are things that the community can and is willing to offer/find solutions for if ArenaNet would simply open a mature and open discussion about the matter. I can already think of a lot of solutions to those issues, and I know that a lot of the players I have fought with/against are pretty intelligent people that would be willing to provide feedback and help construct something GW2 can be remembered for.

We don’t want promises, but we want to at least be able to have the discussion instead of having you guys ignore the community that desires this scale of PvP (which will grow as ArenaNet opens their mind to the concept, and grow even further as we drum up ideas as to the implementation).

EDIT: As of now, I’m going to be looking into leading a community based CDI – something that the community will come together to propose to ArenaNet, not necessarily as an official CDI. It pains me to say that a lot of my friends are leaving this game, or have given up, but I’m going to do my best to at least give this game a shot at retaining (and eventually, growing) their competitive playerbase.

Syndictive [Syn] #1 GvG Guild NA pre- Heart of Thorns
[Syn] Leader/Driver – Retired.

(edited by Fallen.4317)

in PvP

Posted by: Gaab.4257

Gaab.4257

+1, definitely worth anet’s attention to read.

in PvP

Posted by: Rocketmist.5436

Rocketmist.5436

In fallen’s post he points out that if anet makes a 15v15 or 20v20 pvp mode that they would have the entire market. The market for 5v5 competitive games is very fierce atm with all the moba’s and even the crappy mmo’s out there have 5v5 arenas.

From a business perspective this is the blue ocean strategy of trying to go for the entire market instead of being just another game that has 5v5 matches.
http://www.blueoceanstrategy.com/

I support this business decision greatly, investing heavily into 5v5 matches is the red ocean, 15s-20s is the blue ocean. Imagine how bad kitten it would be to showcase a 15v15 GvG at something like PAX compared to yet another 5v5 game. How the game scales is fantastic and ANET should exploit their combat system in 15s-20s.

[TL] Guild Leader, Sea of Sorrows, SoS Council

in PvP

Posted by: Snowstorm.3897

Snowstorm.3897

http://i.imgur.com/mSUbphQ.jpg

1.5 years ago, these were the viewers it was getting also. It has been supported by the community for over 2 years, and I more than anyone wish that they implement a better system, but after so long and so much asking, I very much doubt we’ll see any improvement. HoT will bring guilds and players back, if only for a short while, but they WILL seek out other games if nothing changes. Reve-hype will only last so long.

Sylas
Second Law [Scnd] – Guild leader
Currently: Axiom – Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Caden Thompson.4968

Caden Thompson.4968

I believe this is a good idea and saying its not and oh its bad and it wont work does not help the cause. If you truly want this discussion seen and spread across the community i would start supporting it and build up on whatever you did before because it obviously was not as big of a discussion before.

in PvP

Posted by: Rabidd.9458

Rabidd.9458

+1

WvW is pretty much all I do when I have time to play the game. Something like this would be amazing as the GvGs of the original Guild Wars was some of the most memorable times I had playing games.

And I do support that it doesn’t even have to be plain old Deathmatch between a bunch of people, but please make it raid sized (10-20) so everyone can play it at the same time rather than make multiple 5-man parties as we have to do currently for PvP.

in PvP

Posted by: vana.5467

vana.5467

It’s also worth pointing out that it would likely be much easier to maintain a competitive environment in a 15-20s game mode, simply because fights on this scale are much more self-balancing than 5v5.
I fully believe that the current design of the game lends itself much, much better to large scale fights.

Needless to say, this has my full support.
+1

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Congrats on 800 viewers on an event that gets streamed a few times a year. /s

Zerg v Zerg happens now occasionally but when you put it in a seperate gamemode, you’ll expect short queue times, quality matches around the clock.
Do you really see that happening?

Even more, people want 10v10, 15v15 and even 20v20. What are you gonna chose? Or you want all options? Splitting it even more?

I want to see it happen just to put the discussion to rest. I’ll guarantee you that it’ll fail.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!