For the love of God boost thieves

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

I can’t take it anymore. The class has such a narrow scope to be successful in spvp and the few morons left playing the class refuse to fulfill that role 90% of the time. They just want to 1v1 and die over and over again. Please boost them so some people with a clue come back.

in PvP

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

LOL too funny.

Just gotta hope you get a REALLY good thief when you get one

in PvP

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Maybe they keep trying because they think it’s a learn to play issue and not a gross class imbalance issue? A dagger/dagger ele vs. reaper is even an uphill battle.

Considering thief’s lack of utility and squishiness it needs a big damage boost to compensate. Melee only, from behind, in stealth for the big hits but when boosting thieves they shouldn’t assume thieves are going to pull off the backstabs all the time especially with reveal. Backstab should hit very hard, maybe even the hardest hitting skill in the game since you’d need great skill to pull it off you’d earn that victory. Stealth lasts a limited time, can be revealed prematurely by other players, and movement can be abused to avoid giving players an easy backstab.

That’s only for very high risk play, more stable options like sword/dagger need a buff too where you could totally hold your own without needing to stealth since it should be assumed if you do stealth someone will just reveal you anyway so that should be taken into account when boosting.

in PvP

Posted by: bigmonto.4215

bigmonto.4215

at least there is a role for it, warrior has nothing.

in PvP

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Problem with warrior is its biggest strength is its tankiness, so unless you’re in Spirit Watch and one is carrying warriors tend to be ignored. When there’s a blood death knight (or any heavy armored really) standing in the middle of the road common sense and experience suggests run past him and do the objectives.

Tanks are very low kill priority, and since warriors lack cheap mechanics and aren’t healers them being low kill priority is for a reason. Elementalists always have something off cooldown, good AoE and condition damage, decent healing, good crowd control and light armor so it’s pretty obvious that they have to go although can complicate things in earth and armor of earth and mistform.

in PvP

Posted by: lighter.2708

lighter.2708

I can’t take it anymore. The class has such a narrow scope to be successful in spvp and the few morons left playing the class refuse to fulfill that role 90% of the time. They just want to 1v1 and die over and over again. Please boost them so some people with a clue come back.

exactly, there’s so many thieves yet there’s very few that’s actually good at 5v5 and know what they should do. i can basically count all the top thieves with only one hand even pre HOT.

in PvP

Azukas.1426

exactly, there’s so many thieves yet there’s very few that’s actually good at 5v5 and know what they should do. i can basically count all the top thieves with only one hand even pre HOT.

Alright start naming

in PvP

Posted by: Booms.3952

Booms.3952

Alright start naming

Toker Edison caed muffinz bam
For NA ofc

#1 gerdian na
0 counterplay

in PvP

Posted by: Sinning.7483

Sinning.7483

The problem i have with playing my thief as main is that to be effective I was limited to build and playstyle , more so than my other class’s. I have not played it since HoT so not sure re DD what is brought to the table BUT…..from my observations re thief.

Thief takes more skill to play effectively than prob most other class’s imho and YES there are alot of crappy ones out there because of this. When I see couple thieves on enemy team I always keep an eye out paranoid that they might be good ones which imho is one of the most dangerous opponents but most time they not.

So my question here is….DO they really need buffed if good thieves can be a most feared opponent? Or do they just need more build options (I certainly thought so pre HoT)? Or do ppl just truly need to l2p (I hate saying that but do they?)…idk

in PvP

Azukas.1426

The problem i have with playing my thief as main is that to be effective I was limited to build and playstyle , more so than my other class’s. I have not played it since HoT so not sure re DD what is brought to the table BUT…..from my observations re thief.

Thief takes more skill to play effectively than prob most other class’s imho and YES there are alot of crappy ones out there because of this. When I see couple thieves on enemy team I always keep an eye out paranoid that they might be good ones which imho is one of the most dangerous opponents but most time they not.

So my question here is….DO they really need buffed if good thieves can be a most feared opponent? Or do they just need more build options (I certainly thought so pre HoT)? Or do ppl just truly need to l2p (I hate saying that but do they?)…idk

If only a handful of people can make thief work then that’s pretty much a tell that something is UP.

My thoughts are that they should nerf the rest of the game down to thief/warrior level. Granted its more work that way but ultimately its the most sure fire way.

in PvP

Azukas.1426

Alright start naming

Toker Edison caed muffinz bam
For NA ofc

Only 2 of those players are in the pro league…..unless I missed em

in PvP

Posted by: alain.1659

alain.1659

Well I have seen some very good thiefs in the game. New build with the daze combo can do wanders. However I can not say that they are ok because I was playing with my core warrior and everything is better than him

With all the cool new professions a game balance and a huge bug fix is needed. Especially for core classes.

in PvP

Posted by: Kolly.9872

Kolly.9872

Backcapping and +1 is not a role. Even a warrior can do it.

Thief might not be as strong as last year
but they’re a lot stronger
than they will be next year!

in PvP

Kolly.9872

Yeah only thieves players are bad, instead all the players playing the rest of the classes are good. It’s not because they use OP classes.

in PvP

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Backcapping and +1 is not a role. Even a warrior can do it.

Yep, and the warrior can destroy the thief, not to mention +1 on the elite specs in ways the thief can’t :D

in PvP

lighter.2708

Yeah only thieves players are bad, instead all the players playing the rest of the classes are good. It’s not because they use OP classes.

No, it’s just that the thief population is so big in PvP yet you can find very small number of good thieves who actually know their role in 5v5. (preHOT, all 1v1 servers, half of the players are thieves, you will get atleast 1 thief in unranked or ranked most of the time)

the rest of the classes don’t have that big of a population in PvP scene, which justify the number of their good players..

(edited by lighter.2708)

in PvP

Azukas.1426

No, it’s just that the thief population is so big in PvP yet you can find very small number of good thieves who actually know their role in 5v5. (preHOT, all 1v1 servers, half of the players are thieves, you will get atleast 1 thief in unranked or ranked most of the time)

the rest of the classes don’t have that big of a population in PvP scene, which justify the number of their good players..

I’ve seen a significant LACK of thieves lately.

We playing the same game bro?

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

No thieves in qualifiers finals (except for dat sd thief whos team lost 502-0).
If you queue as thief alone people ask you to reroll.

No thieves wanted in raids (you get insta booted if you join as thief). Even in fractals people start to ask for anything but thief.

Great job :|

Thieves need dmg buff and ways to actually land that dmg ( get around blocks/prot/invul etc). They also need better survival and waaaaayyy more team support. Atm they just don’t offer anything really. And moblity is a joke as any class now moves just tiny bit slower than thief and can recap point instantly since thief can’t fight anyway.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

No thieves wanted in raids (you get insta booted if you join as thief). Even in fractals people start to ask for anything but thief.

I would be very apprehensive about running with a thief player I didn’t know or have seen play. It’s not because I think they bring nothing to the table or can’t pull their weight, it’s because most thief players I’ve seen in PvE suck. I mean they suck so much they can be used to clean the home with and potentially put Dyson out of business.

Having said that I would also be apprehensive about mesmers, Rangers, engineers, guardians (if only guard) and elementalists that I haven’t seen. Too many people suck at surviving and the game in general without knowing what it is they’re supposed to be bringing to the team.

Isn’t this the first time in over 2 years we haven’t seen a thief as a staple, guaranteed spot on every team ever? Not saying it should stay like this forever but I am liking the break from it at the moment, especially seeing rangers being taken a lot.

in PvP

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

If only a handful of people can make thief work then that’s pretty much a tell that something is UP.

Or the class is in the correct place and the majority of your population in the game just suck (which is the case).

I believe a more telling sign is all the Reapers, Scrappers, Druids and Chonros appearing out of no where not knowing how to dodge but are still able to contend. It doesn’t take much to play those classes and do extremely well with them.

They need to be brought in line with Berserker and DD, not the other way around.

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Thief is good, its just that Dragonhunter and Revenant are so much better.

in PvP

Posted by: moi.4398

moi.4398

Thief is good, its just that Dragonhunter and Revenant are so much better.

What he said . The class is in a weird spot but not because it’s weak itself but because overpowered stuffs are floating around . It remember me the time when necro started to make a spot in the meta just because all others classes keep getting nerf when necro was almost untouched . People tend to forget also thief was a dominant class in the meta for the past 3 years , the class alone was pushing Mesmer out of the meta . Thief is not " weak " , but others classes are too strong for sure . Thieves will shine again , ANET must not do the same mistake as allways , stop the powercreep and shave what’s need to be shaved . Overall I think the ratio of damage / surv on others classes is absurd when thief still have to make a choice between be survivable and be able to kill people .

PS :Bad english is bad ik

in PvP

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

I would be very apprehensive about running with a thief player I didn’t know or have seen play. It’s not because I think they bring nothing to the table or can’t pull their weight, it’s because most thief players I’ve seen in PvE suck. I mean they suck so much they can be used to clean the home with and potentially put Dyson out of business.

Whenever there’s a thread on the thief forum asking for buffs you come and complain about thieves wanting buffs. Now you say every single thief is bad – ok – did you ever stop to think about your behaviour? Cause you really should.
Or just roll a thief so you can finally judge what is and what isn’t a “good thief”.

in PvP

apharma.3741

Whenever there’s a thread on the thief forum asking for buffs you come and complain about thieves wanting buffs. Now you say every single thief is bad – ok – did you ever stop to think about your behaviour? Cause you really should.
Or just roll a thief so you can finally judge what is and what isn’t a “good thief”.

Ever thought to stop grinding that axe of yours? Read the second part where I also said I’d be apprehensive of mesmers, eles, guards (if only one), engineers and rangers too in PvE.

Here’s a list of common stupid things I see from those classes in PvE which is the part we were talking about.

Thieves: Don’t know what a smoke field is nor how to blast it and keep us waiting on SR for stealth. Generally don’t strafe and go down all the time. Sometimes running PP and ranging missing out on might.

Mesmers: GS number 1 spamming at point blank range where it does the lowest damage. Using shatter burst combos which are terrible DPS. Not bringing reflects or stab or portal when needed or wanted.

Engineers: majority think they’re kitt hot by stacking 10 might and auto attacking in flamethrower kit. I’d go into more detail but I’ve very rarely seen others do anything else.

Rangers: Majority are bearbowing, missing out on might and other buffs while not contributing to the team in buffs either, usually not running frost/spotter. Big DPS loss even bothering with these people.

Elementalists: DD celestial nonsense, sure good in PvP but utter rubbish PvE. Sometimes running other weird condition builds or just plain weird builds that camp water because “I’m a healer”.

Guards (if only guard): Guards can alter the group comp dramatically with all their projectile mitigation, stability, aegis, heals and group blocks. Needless to say most aren’t terrible but I don’t like running 100% glass ele with a guard who might be running some mediPvP nonsense who won’t be giving out aegis for that time I don’t have a dodge.

As for your “play a thief” I do, I frequently am the thief and was the thief for the dungeons and other content we needed stealth in. Full zerk with DD and not once had a problem surviving and I didn’t use anything other than good positioning. I provided smoke fields for both defence and to stealth off, endurance regen, projectile destruction and reflection as well as healing and rezzing when needed. All redundant now because of engineer.

I have played with good thieves, engineers, eles, guards and mesmers on the occasion when someone else recommended them or offered to get someone they knew but the majority of pugs suck.

in PvP

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Thief players should read those skill tooltips. It’s much easier play when you know what your skills do.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in PvP

Jana.6831

Ever thought to stop grinding that axe of yours? Read the second part where I also said I’d be apprehensive of mesmers, eles, guards (if only one), engineers and rangers too in PvE.

Here’s a list of common stupid things I see from those classes in PvE which is the part we were talking about.

Thieves: Don’t know what a smoke field is nor how to blast it and keep us waiting on SR for stealth. Generally don’t strafe and go down all the time. Sometimes running PP and ranging missing out on might.

Mesmers: GS number 1 spamming at point blank range where it does the lowest damage. Using shatter burst combos which are terrible DPS. Not bringing reflects or stab or portal when needed or wanted.

Engineers: majority think they’re kitt hot by stacking 10 might and auto attacking in flamethrower kit. I’d go into more detail but I’ve very rarely seen others do anything else.

Rangers: Majority are bearbowing, missing out on might and other buffs while not contributing to the team in buffs either, usually not running frost/spotter. Big DPS loss even bothering with these people.

Elementalists: DD celestial nonsense, sure good in PvP but utter rubbish PvE. Sometimes running other weird condition builds or just plain weird builds that camp water because “I’m a healer”.

Guards (if only guard): Guards can alter the group comp dramatically with all their projectile mitigation, stability, aegis, heals and group blocks. Needless to say most aren’t terrible but I don’t like running 100% glass ele with a guard who might be running some mediPvP nonsense who won’t be giving out aegis for that time I don’t have a dodge.

As for your “play a thief” I do, I frequently am the thief and was the thief for the dungeons and other content we needed stealth in. Full zerk with DD and not once had a problem surviving and I didn’t use anything other than good positioning. I provided smoke fields for both defence and to stealth off, endurance regen, projectile destruction and reflection as well as healing and rezzing when needed. All redundant now because of engineer.

I have played with good thieves, engineers, eles, guards and mesmers on the occasion when someone else recommended them or offered to get someone they knew but the majority of pugs suck.

You seem like the prototype of an elitist.
I rarely use smoke screen let alone smoke fields as in most cases it’s useless – most pugs I run with don’t wait for the group = when should I pop my SR? It’s always too late for some. And I don’t think you know anything of thief at all and in most cases things don’t go as planned so one has to improvise which elitists like you see as a mistake.

I really should’ve tracked you down and watched you play while I was on GH

ETA: And again if you say that “most guards aren’t bad” but “most thieves are bad” then I do wonder why you don’t realize that our efforts to have thief buffed might be justified as PvE usually is that easy that all classes should have an roughly equal amount of good and bad players.

(edited by Jana.6831)

in PvP

Kolly.9872

Thief players should read those skill tooltips. It’s much easier play when you know what your skills do.

We’ve been reading and also testing for 3 years now.
Devs should do the same sometimes, but I guess testing dmg on dummies is enough.
We are the only class that can be countered by any other class.
Balance is when you can at least counter 50% of the classes in the game while being countered by the other 50%

Go check the Counters at the bottom of the page http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Daredevil_-_Dagger/Pistol

This seriously made me LOL
Counters: Most 1v1s (it’s simply not your role to engage in duels)

Any new players should read this before starting the game.

Instead they read this on the WiKi:
Thieves are expert in the shadow arts. They utilize stealth and shadowstepping to surprise and to get close to their target. They’re deadly in one-on-one combat using their agility, acrobatic fighting style, and the ability to steal to overcome their enemies. They have an affinity for setting traps and using venom. As an adventurer profession, thieves wear medium armor.

in PvP

apharma.3741

Seeing as you didn’t ask, I’ll tell you what I would buff on thieves.

Rewards for dodging smartly.
Increase the heal by 50% on driven fortitude, make healing power scaling 0.5.
Remove ICD from Feline grace.
Remove ICD from escapists absolution or make it 0.25s.
Remove ICD of driven fortitude or make it 0.25s.
Buff the GM dodges in DD to 15%, duration to 7s.
Invigorating precision I would flat out remove and buff heals/sustain in other areas.
Flawless strike make it 10% and the health threshold 75% possibly 50%.
Reduce ICD of Unrelenting Strikes to 5s.
In general reduce the health % on all the crit strikes buffs as its not good outside of PvE.
Revealed training gain 2 might (8-10s) every second you’re revealed.
All while in stealth becomes upon entering stealth so you can still have the benefit even if brought out of stealth and softly discourages stealth camping.
Shadow rejuvenation becomes a 900 heal and 2 ini back.
SE becomes 2 conditions.
Shadow protector becomes 5s and converts 25% power to healing power (should make the regen be about 195 per tick in power builds) as well as buffing other heals.
Signets of power removes a condition on use of signets.

I’d love to see traps be more interesting, with damage but buffed significantly.
Haste and Roll for ini become 40s CDs.
A rework of how venoms work and maybe a change in cool downs. Maybe buff the durations, reduce stacks and reduce the cool downs. Eg Ice drake venom 5s chill, 2 stacks, 15s CD, duration of venom 25s to allow for bombing with forethought.
Reduce CD on signet of shadows, maybe make stun break too.
Buff healing power coefficient of signet of malice to 0.15-0.2

There are many other traits I’d love to see a rework to make them more usable in general but we’d be here all day if I listed all the traits. I’d also love to see more variety in crit strikes too because it’s so bland and hopefully some kind of better group integration in some way.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Those changes won’t do much with amount of revealing flying around and miriad passives/defensives handled to other classes.

What is the point of tiny buffs to stealth mechanics when you get locked out of it up to 18 sec.

What is the point of small tweaks to dmg when you can’t even land it most of the time.

Thief has issues with core mechanics due to constant nerfs for 3 years straight and all the mechanics added to other classes. Tweaking some numbers a bit won’t change anything.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Jana.6831

Feline Grace is not in this game anymore.

Anyway, some of your ideas are debateable – in fact all of them are, I’m not sure you want a thief with 22 might stacks and +200 more power.

But they are a base to discuss – all you ever do though is telling us to shut up and L2P whenever you visit the thief forums. And that is what I think is shabby – you have always been invited and probably still are to discuss the class with us. Problem is that most thieves already gave up, so we don’t really discuss things anymore.

in PvP

lighter.2708

did you see the word “preHOT”. now thieves just aren’t that overpopulated anymore, cuz stealth resetting in a duel no longer carry, so the number actually correspond to the number of good thieves out there.

(edited by lighter.2708)

in PvP

Kolly.9872

did you see the word “preHOT”. now thieves just aren’t that overpopulated anymore, cuz stealth resetting in a duel no longer carry, so the number actually correspond to the number of good thieves out there.

So you’re saying that all the baddies switched to more rewarding and OP classes.

in PvP

Azukas.1426

I’m sorry but your train of thought makes no sense and all it does is convey the amount of bias you have against thieves.

There are what like 2 thieves in the entire pro league NA and EU combined? The only team in the EU to run one was beat 502-0….

Please come up with a better counter argument next time

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

Good thieves can no longer be the most feared opponent. Its more about B2W than L2P I’m afraid.

in PvP

Kolly.9872

I’m sorry but your train of thought makes no sense and all it does is convey the amount of bias you have against thieves.

There are what like 2 thieves in the entire pro league NA and EU combined? The only team in the EU to run one was beat 502-0….

Please come up with a better counter argument next time

And the thief was Sizer playing his preferred weapon set. But people are already saying that even Sizer is a bad player, it’s not that Devs totally destroyed S/D thieves due to continuos nerfs and ppl complaints.

in PvP

Posted by: Sarrow.2785

Sarrow.2785

And the thief was Sizer playing his preferred weapon set. But people are already saying that even Sizer is a bad player, it’s not that Devs totally destroyed S/D thieves due to continuos nerfs and ppl complaints.

Sizer, the thief in the 500-0 game is a great player. Watch his uncut streams for S/D duels with all classes and 5v5’s. Most duels he wins and in 5v5’s he decaps like a boss – that’s all there is for thief in 5v5 remember Vs a coordinated team with ripe AoE and eyes on him the whole match however, he didn’t stand a chance.

Agreed. The class has been neutered so in organised play it even fails in decap and +1 now unless other players carry.

Admiral Mournn, Tarnished Coast

in PvP

Kolly.9872

Sizer, the thief in the 500-0 game is a great player. Watch his uncut streams for S/D duels with all classes and 5v5’s. Most duels he wins and in 5v5’s he decaps like a boss – that’s all there is for thief in 5v5 remember Vs a coordinated team with ripe AoE and eyes on him the whole match however, he didn’t stand a chance.

Agreed. The class has been neutered so in organised play it even fails in decap and +1 now unless other players carry.

Yeah that’s what I mean. Even a player like Sizer doing realy badly while playing his preferred weapon set, is not a signal of how bad is the thief class, I don’t know what else to say. After Sizer loss, people start claiming that sizer is no more a team player and thief sucks only because thieves are bad players. In the while all other players owning with their classes are good players not being carried by the class/elite. That’s non sense.

in PvP

Posted by: fumcheg.1936

fumcheg.1936

Developers could start from the begining and revert that kitten steal (Bountiful Theft) nerf, so if one steal 25 stacks of might he should get exactly 25 stacks of might (NOT one single kitten stack). And other buffs as well.

Also they could fix 10% missing Withdraw skill. Just as first steps.

(edited by fumcheg.1936)

in PvP

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

The problem with thief is more dragonhunter, chill reaper, and revenant’s (also air overload) fault than the thief. Too much easy mode damage since HoT release. People literally don’t need to pay attention to thieves because whatever they do will end up hurting thieves massively.

… I still want tengu.

in PvP

Posted by: childhoodtwo.7095

childhoodtwo.7095

Maining thief is sad story lately, hey we get a third dodge so cool right?
I think its not that we need to be boosted it`s other kitten classess need to be toned down to thief level then we can talk about balance.
Ouh wait did i writed balance my bad this game will never be balanced.

in PvP

Posted by: Nath Forge Tempete.1645

Nath Forge Tempete.1645

Thief does fine vs revenant in 1v1. Land a steal and abuse of slow … The revenant is almost dead after that. (ofc it has blocks – evades – heals but … with a cast)

Thus, UA is buggy with slow apply on the revenant . Instant Stealth just stop UA.

in PvP

Kolly.9872

Thief does fine vs revenant in 1v1. Land a steal and abuse of slow … The revenant is almost dead after that. (ofc it has blocks – evades – heals but … with a cast)

Thus, UA is buggy with slow apply on the revenant . Instant Stealth just stop UA.

Realy? A bug is our counter to revenant? Not sure if you’re serious

in PvP

Posted by: Nath Forge Tempete.1645

Nath Forge Tempete.1645

there were more than the “buggy argument” just try to not focus on this plz =) and read the ENTIRE message next time ! thanks !

in PvP

Kolly.9872

there were more than the “buggy argument” just try to not focus on this plz =) and read the ENTIRE message next time ! thanks !

All I read is Steal counters Revenant at all. What a joke is that? We also know there’s a bug preventing UA, so we should’t even compare thief to revenant till the bug is fixed. And even now it’s a hard matchup for thieves. Sure Rev is not the hardest, I would say that DH and Scrappers are the worst.

in PvP

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

I can hold my own against a scrapper. It’s a losing battle but it’s not a slaughter like it would be against a DH; literally sneezing thousands upon thousands of damage on instant cast every few seconds with CC and massive AoE. Utter joke.

… I still want tengu.