Forced meta roles in solo que?

in PvP

Posted by: Zepidel.5349

Zepidel.5349

How would you guys feel it anet forced some kind of role assignment in solo que to help ease losses due to terrible team comp and strategy?

As in before you que up you can select the types of roles you are willing to play, be it home bunker, close point defender, soft/hard dps, decapper, mid bunker, etc… and the system builds “balanced” teams, along with reworking the tutorials to explain the roles.

Even before the influx of PvE players causing a bubble in the lower MMR brackets, you would absolutely get crushed some games because the other team rolled a better comp (Of course no one would admit this and just call everyone on their team noobs). Or half your team decided they wanted to run around and be John “1v1 me nub” Rambo , while you lost mid and home the entire match.

I cant think of any games that actually do this, but I think it would increase the QoL in a lot of situations. On the other hand people might not like the idea of anet forcing roles down peoples throats.

But hey, its been 2 years without a different game mode, so it’s obvious they have a serious kitten for point defense, and aren’t interested in doing anything that will shake up the meta team builds, or specific roles.

in PvP

Posted by: NonToxic.9185

NonToxic.9185

I cant think of any games that actually do this, but I think it would increase the QoL in a lot of situations. On the other hand people might not like the idea of anet forcing roles down peoples throats.

League of Legends has a team builder option that does exactly this. The problem is that there are 1000000000 people trying to play damage-dealer role, so when you queue up you spend 10-30 minutes waiting for somebody to fill a lesser player role. Or, the role fills instantly, and the person isn’t actually playing that role, ie. a guardian pops up in the ‘heavy support’ spot but actually has a burning condition damage build.

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

I think the population is high enough that additional matchmaking parameters could potentially be added. However, there are a couple issues:

—it would potentially make matchmaking a little less even (as it searched for the “right” blend of professions),
—it would potentially make matchmaking a little slower (same reason),
—it would potentially allow people to rage more (“I did my job, idiots! I’m the home node defender here, why are we getting crushed across the rest of the map?”)

I think that the best thing to do is to stick to strong solo artist builds for solo queue.

in PvP

Zepidel.5349

League of Legends has a team builder option that does exactly this. The problem is that there are 1000000000 people trying to play damage-dealer role, so when you queue up you spend 10-30 minutes waiting for somebody to fill a lesser player role. Or, the role fills instantly, and the person isn’t actually playing that role, ie. a guardian pops up in the ‘heavy support’ spot but actually has a burning condition damage build.

playing support in mobas isn’t that fun, unless you really like it. GW2 doesn’t have any support roles, I guess the closest thing would be bunkers, but hasn’t there been threads lately complaining about how many there are in solo que?

And ya the biggest draw back is going to be the que time, right now its basically under a minute every time. But I’d be willing to wait ~5 minutes to get a better chance at a good match.

in PvP

Posted by: Pumpkin.5169

Pumpkin.5169

I don’t like that much the idea.
While fighting a team with synergy while you has none is almost impossible to win and pretty frustrating, there’s two factors that make me go against the idea. The first one people already pointed out, we don’t have enough PvP population for it be viable. The queues would be even worse. The second one is that when you reinforce the meta, you make it even more stale. Letting people play how they wan’t is the best method if we wanna see healthy changes in the metagame.

Pumpkin – Mag

in PvP

Posted by: XGhoul.7426

XGhoul.7426

Bad idea.

Both teamcomps and strategy work off each other for a win. You can have a great teamcomp, but terrible strategy and still lose the game. You can have good strategy and bad team comp and still (possibly) win the game. Given that there is almost no legitimate strategy you can have as a team in soloq, teamcomps rarely have to do whether you win or not (imo).

in PvP

Posted by: Abazigal.3679

Abazigal.3679

Bad idea.

Both teamcomps and strategy work off each other for a win. You can have a great teamcomp, but terrible strategy and still lose the game. You can have good strategy and bad team comp and still (possibly) win the game. Given that there is almost no legitimate strategy you can have as a team in soloq, teamcomps rarely have to do whether you win or not (imo).

I can’t really agree. Usually, 50% of my soloQ matchs are about similar team compositions, and it’s relatively fair, even with lesser experienced players.

However, rest of matchs are about unfairness, such as 2 warriors 2 engis 1 necro against no heavy, and most of the time it’s simply a pure destroy. Camping 2 points is usually enough to win the match 500-200. It’s team composition win entirely..

in PvP

Posted by: XGhoul.7426

XGhoul.7426

Bad idea.

I can’t really agree. Usually, 50% of my soloQ matchs are about similar team compositions, and it’s relatively fair, even with lesser experienced players.

However, rest of matchs are about unfairness, such as 2 warriors 2 engis 1 necro against no heavy, and most of the time it’s simply a pure destroy. Camping 2 points is usually enough to win the match 500-200. It’s team composition win entirely..

At least from my point of view, even if you don’t have the best team comp, you can still see people rushing into a 1v2/1v3 situation in solo queue (nothing will change this mentality until they learn). In relation to the “team comp” you typed 1 necro could have taken both engis 2v1 and warrior is just based on when they pop zerk stance and endure pain (+trait).

edit: even at the most extreme situation you have the enemy team camping 2 points; this means you are at a 5v3/ 5v4 situation wherein which strategy still overcomes team comps if played right.

(edited by XGhoul.7426)

in PvP

Zepidel.5349

Bad idea.

Forcing a meta would… force people to learn the roles. I guarantee you at least 2/3rds of the people who will end up reading this thread have no idea roles beyond bunker even exist. And that’s a huge problem, because those are the people you are getting grouped with in solo que, the ones running around 1v1ing bunkers and decappers instead of fighting on point.

I don’t like that much the idea.
While fighting a team with synergy while you has none is almost impossible to win and pretty frustrating, there’s two factors that make me go against the idea. The first one people already pointed out, we don’t have enough PvP population for it be viable. The queues would be even worse. The second one is that when you reinforce the meta, you make it even more stale. Letting people play how they wan’t is the best method if we wanna see healthy changes in the metagame.

Meta hasnt changed much, and even the last feature patch didn’t do anything to even budge it with 5 new “Grand Master” traits for every class (spoiler: they were pretty much all awful).

And there really isn’t even a meta in solo que. In the bottom percentile you have stupid things like “condition” meta were people run decap specs only for everything since that’s the easiest way to 1v1, since SPvP to them its just an arena to fight people and point capture is usaully an afterthought. Then they come to class/SPvP forums to complain about balance from their 1v1 experiences.

in PvP

Posted by: muscarine.5136

muscarine.5136

Forcing a meta would… force people to learn the roles.

Try to force people to go to school, then come back with more briliant statistics.

No offence but this is a typical idea that sounds good on paper and results in utter failure.

in PvP

Zepidel.5349

Try to force people to go to school, then come back with more briliant statistics.

No offence but this is a typical idea that sounds good on paper and results in utter failure.

I think maybe you need to go to school, that isn’t a statistic. Maybe then you can call yourself “briliant”.

And no “offence” but, anything is better than what we have now. Of course its not going to be perfect, but for the most part I believe that the quality of matches would skyrocket. This happening at the cost of longer waiting between matches.

in PvP

Posted by: muscarine.5136

muscarine.5136

I think maybe you need to go to school, that isn’t a statistic. Maybe then you can call yourself “briliant”.

And no “offence” but, anything is better than what we have now. Of course its not going to be perfect, but for the most part I believe that the quality of matches would skyrocket. This happening at the cost of longer waiting between matches.

You’re implying a faire ratio (%) of people becoming better at the game because they got force fed meta builds.
Like you just repeat it since you assume “the quality of matches would skyrocket”.

Again, apply your idea to real world school, add to that the fact that a very high ratio of player are here just for the fun (there is not even a matter of life betterment) and understand how such a measure would negatively affect players, creating mostly frustration and resentment.
The people who are willing to submit to the all mighty meta already do and thrust ToL for example. (Because we’re talking meta right, not easy rewarding cheese which is a whole other subject.)
Also you’re confusing education and standardization. Many people like to grab the current meta builds while adjusting them to personnal preferences.

And yes i do spelling mistakes, i’m not english to begin with.