Forest of Niflhel: Poaching

in PvP

Posted by: Godofallu.2935

Godofallu.2935

I disagree completely. Having it based off of last hit allows clutch steals and makes it so there are times when going for the boss is right/wrong.

Proud GW2 Esports Guild Admin and Coach. Whisper me for duels, help, or guild invites.

in PvP

Posted by: Ashanor.5319

Ashanor.5319

I disagree completely. Having it based off of last hit allows clutch steals and makes it so there are times when going for the boss is right/wrong.

I disagree. It should be based off of total damage done, not last hit.

in PvP

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

I disagree to your disagreement. If you don’t want it stolen then you gotta pay attention on headcounts and position.

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

in PvP

Ashanor.5319

I disagree to your disagreement. If you don’t want it stolen then you gotta pay attention on headcounts and position.

Not much you can do if someone charges over from the other side and pops all their burst at the last second hoping to get the last hit. You could try to cc them, but they may still get lucky and get the last hit. I don’t think those points should be based off of luck or cheap tactics personally.

in PvP

Posted by: Neare.9703

Neare.9703

It’s not cheap tactics, it’s smart tactics. Things like this make the playing field much more interesting.

in PvP

Posted by: samo.1054

samo.1054

Going for the monster kill is a risk and it should be. That’s why top teams rarely go for monster kills unless the game is really close towards the end.

It’s also risky to go for the lord on Legacy, all secondary objectives have to have some kind of risk/reward, that’s the point of competitive pvp.

I just love how stupid can people act sometimes on FoN. 2-3 people rush the monster, no one even bothers too look behind for enemies before they attack it, and then they cry that their points were stolen. Seriously? This isn’t PvE.

The only cheap thing about it here is thiefs and their stealth. But stealth is another issue that is being discussed over many threads on this forum…

in PvP

Posted by: Follidus.8027

Follidus.8027

This is good because it adds depth to the game. You have to be careful when you engage bosses because they can be stolen. Maybe you need to re-evaluate when/how you kill the bosses!

Cause I ain’t perfect, I never said I was.
But now they’re hating cause a brotha finally got some buzz
www.twitch.tv/Follidus – Team Absolute Legends

in PvP

Ashanor.5319

I just love how stupid can people act sometimes on FoN. 2-3 people rush the monster, no one even bothers too look behind for enemies before they attack it, and then they cry that their points were stolen. Seriously? This isn’t PvE.

A thief can stealth right up to it and just start spamming Heartseeker like crazy when the mob is at 10%, how are you supposed to see that coming exactly? lol

Anyway, I am not going to sit here and argue with people that have been brainwashed into thinking this is good design.

(Also, I only read that part of your post before posting, didn’t notice you mentioned thieves until after – but even without thieves, it would still be bad design, they just compound it)

(edited by Ashanor.5319)

in PvP

Follidus.8027

A thief can stealth right up to it and just start spamming Heartseeker like crazy when the mob is at 10%, how are you supposed to see that coming exactly? lol

By knowing where he isn’t (and if he isn’t anywhere else on the map), then you know he can be in the position to steal the boss, which means you should be ready for the possibility of the thief stealing the boss. Maybe this means you don’t engage the boss until you know where the thief is, and you know you’re in a position that you can kill the boss before the thief can get to you and attempt to steal it.

in PvP

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

By knowing where he isn’t (and if he isn’t anywhere else on the map), then you know he can be in the position to steal the boss, which means you should be ready for the possibility of the thief stealing the boss. Maybe this means you don’t engage the boss until you know where the thief is, and you know you’re in a position that you can kill the boss before the thief can get to you and attempt to steal it.

Yeah, because at the beginning of a match people have the option to camp people around a mob while a team fight is about to begin in hopes the thief might be revealed before they get outnumbered?

You either camp and lose the teamfight, or leave the mob and a thief comes and gibs it in a couple of seconds by himself anyways if a mesmer didn’t do it already.

in PvP

Follidus.8027

Gunning for a monster kill during the first few minutes of a match is not a matter of evaluation, its pretty standard. The fact that the kill count can be stolen by a long distance luck shot from a player that has rushed across the map just to troll the other teams kill, just might require some reworking.

First of all, when you say “first few minutes” that can be 1/3 – 1/2 the match.

But I’m assuming you mean immediately as the game starts, and i’ll respond with this: it’s not always standard. It may be standard for you, and that’s why you have trouble with having it stolen.

Don’t take this the wrong way or anything, but I would suggest watching the upcoming PAX qualifiers tournament this weekend and next weekend. Forest is the first map in the rotation for every match, so you’ll get to see more of what I mean.

Yeah, because at the beginning of a match people have the option to camp people around a mob while a team fight is about to begin in hopes the thief might be revealed before they get outnumbered?

You either camp and lose the teamfight, or leave the mob and a thief comes and gibs it in a couple of seconds by himself anyways if a mesmer didn’t do it already.

I don’t understand what you’re saying. I wasn’t saying to camp the boss if you don’t know where a stealthed thief is, I’m saying don’t do the boss at all if you think the other team is in a position to steal it. This is why it adds depth to the game, and it’s not a mindless mindset of “ok go get 51% damage on the boss right away so it’s ours.”

If the enemy team is soloing a boss (this does not take 3-4 seconds for a thief to kill, believe me, in recent scrims we’ve had to deal with probably the best thief on NA doing bosses), while his team is playing outnumbered on the rest of the map, then this means that team is most likely losing fights on capture points. You get 25 points + a small buff for your team when you kill a boss, but if that means you lose a team fight then it’s not worth it at all.

(edited by Follidus.8027)

in PvP

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Allowing the opposite team to steal a monster-kill based off some small amount of damage dealt near the point of death is crap. Its a cheap exploit and should be corrected.

Why do you want to play a boring game?

Those clutch Kill steals are so fun to watch as a spectator and so risky when you’re the player doing it that, it would be a disservice to the game if it were removed.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

(edited by Dirame.8521)

in PvP

Posted by: MarkusParkus.8467

MarkusParkus.8467

^ what he said! Tpvp maps should have that secondary clutch play mechanic, theres nothing I enjoy more on forest then killing both woodland Npcs, seems like some teams don’t recognize the amount of points these guys give.

Furious Scumbag, Raging Scumbag & Geologist Greywind
[NOX] & [Coma] – Gunnar’s Hold.

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

Allowing the opposite team to steal a monster-kill based off some small amount of damage dealt near the point of death is crap. Its a cheap exploit and should be corrected.

Exploit? Works as intended and already written in boss description. Stealing boss requires timing and everyone going for it should ever be aware about any incoming…l2p issue, move on…

in PvP

kirito.4138

Not much you can do if someone charges over from the other side and pops all their burst at the last second hoping to get the last hit. You could try to cc them, but they may still get lucky and get the last hit. I don’t think those points should be based off of luck or cheap tactics personally.

Its not a cheap tactics. L2P Issue as others above have mentioned.

When I said headcount/position, you and your team need to know where the enemy are at or risk it being stolen. (Example: you see 5 enemy fighting on one point far away.) Don’t engage boss if you know they are near or people unaccounted for.

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

this was already discussed months ago
if it was based on damage, then each team would just get their boss down and no one would even consider ganking. so then what’s the point of the bosses if each team is ahead the same amount of points?

in PvP

Posted by: Krayiss.4926

Krayiss.4926

I don’t even know why Arenanet is doing that. IT GOES AGAINST all their philosophies. I bought this game to play a team game and not fight over kills. I was promised by the devs that I wouldn’t have to fight over kills. Please Anet give everyone credit for attacking!
or else false advertising…. jk

Necro 10/30/0/0/30 7/26

in PvP

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

My team rushes both sides evaluates numbers from other team on point v going for boss.OIf we let them get both bosses we don’t care. And why? Because defending a point is easier than capping. Usually that “thief” that went to steal our boss has to spend the time to try and kill him while we are ticking away from holding the points. Most teams focus so kitten the secondary objectives that they dont realize once they have them all it did was let them play catch up. Change your strat ignore bosses. I promise you if you focus on the primary objective during the match you will do better than the four people that just zerged the boss

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

than you fight only SoloQers i guess @jportelll cause most teams ignore the bosses and go for them later

are you US?

in PvP

Posted by: Stealth.9324

Stealth.9324

I agree with all the disagree on all disagreement on boss kill. It is fun and working, let keep it that way.

Kaane Moka – Champion Magus. Loola Illuma – Champion Genius.
Proud player of : team [uA] – team [TGI]. Australia base, now recruiting.

in PvP

jportell.2197

than you fight only SoloQers i guess @jportelll cause most teams ignore the bosses and go for them later

are you US?

US and we have fought plenty of teams too. They sometimes ignore the boss and sometimes go for it. The most important thing in matches is getting a head count at the start to see who is going where from the other team and the numbers that are moving. Bosses aren’t a big deal I’ve played a match where we didn’t kill a single boss but won because we had them double capped most if not all of the match.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: Shar.3402

Shar.3402

Long story short: never go for the boss at the start of the game if the enemy team is running a thief.

Shar Teel – Elementalist
Yolo queue FTW [YOLO] – Desolation (EU)
Champion Magus, Genius

in PvP

Stealth.9324

Yah, a wise advice. Thank you, Sir

in PvP

jportell.2197

Long story short: never go for the boss at the start of the game if the enemy team is running a thief.

^this
. /15 char

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: Nessuno.1253

Nessuno.1253

Before we even talk about thieves, I do this on my necro. Yeah I can’t disengage so I tank for a bit and die, but it is completely your own fault if a necro steals the kill.

Agrippa The Snake
Perfect Dark [PD]

in PvP

Stealth.9324

No objection….

in PvP

Posted by: Tobbygnome.6793

Tobbygnome.6793

Every map has a secondary mechanic, Temple – Communes, Kyhlo – Treb, Foefire – Lords, Capricorn – Cannons/Sharks, Spirit – Orb, Skyhammer – Skyhammer,
Forest – THE CHIEFTAIN HAS RETURNED!!

This map is a favorite for a lot of people, it would be stupid to change the mechanics of such an original map at this point in the game. By now i can pretty much anticipate their respawn.

in PvP

Posted by: Aria.5940

Aria.5940

Whenever I play with my sister, one of us (usually me with my ranger) will go try to steal the other team’s monster. It’s risky as you end up alone trying to steal a monster between 2-5 opponents, but it’s great fun to try and really lovely in the rare cases where it succeeds. (solo or duo queue always in tpvp)

I think it shows more about the opponent team if they can’t stop a lone ranger from stealing the monster kill they’re going for. It’s just a matter of looking around and spotting the ranger running in. However, I wouldn’t call this a cheap move in any way since you land yourself in the middle of the opponent team and unless they completly fail to react to your presence, you are going to go down.

With a thief, their first attack is going to put them out of stealth, so just knock-back/cc him and either kill him or finish the monster fast (depending which one you expect to go down faster). If he times his attack perfectly so his first attack kills the monster, well then I’d just accept I didn’t get that kill and note the time for the next appearance of the monster

(edited by Aria.5940)

in PvP

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

As a thief who steals animals every game if you want to counter it then just don’t go for your animal at the start. As soon as I start soloing it come attack me. Ignore the animal and defend it with your home bunker. If you attack it with 2-3 I’m going to backstab→steal combo with mug and 1 shot it while its at 20%.

Omg, a thief is useful on a map, must nerf it!!!

Just another noob thief…

in PvP

Posted by: Conan.8046

Conan.8046

The kill steals are fine.
The sharks are a pain because they interfere in PVP.

in PvP

kirito.4138

SlyFoxSays.5342 has already deleted his/her originating thread post so think this topic is essentially decided.

in PvP

Posted by: SlyFoxSays.5342

SlyFoxSays.5342

SlyFoxSays.5342 has already deleted his/her originating thread post so think this topic is essentially decided.

There was an obvious division between ppl who mostly soloqq and those who mostly fight with organized teams. More fuel to the fact that there should be more pvp options.

Its unfortunate that posts can’t be deleted once they get off track.

“You must always know where your towel is.”