Free to play PvP

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: hisorange.3957

hisorange.3957

Why isn’t this a thing yet?

ANet wana make PvP an eSport spending alot of money and time on it to happen, but even tho the GW2 is kinda popular it can never compete with F2P games; And of course I don’t want it to go F2P in all three game mode, bots and gold sellers would pop from every corner, but we have seen there is a system for demo accounts where they can limit the experience, then just give out the PvP part to everyone.

What’s the reasoning behind it? GW2 has no viewership on twitch basicly everyone who watching already has an account, so no new players gathered from there.

What about the bots? If we get the dishonor system back and remove hot-join rewards they can’t farm nothing.

What about the economy? PvPers can farm reward tracks for skins and can earn a small amount of gold but PvE is much more worthy so no real impact would come from there, since gold useless in PvP.

We could get a huge PvP player base and see more versatility, also folks now can try out the game without those “invite your friend to try out gw2 for 2 day” events and buy it if they like or wana get all 3 game mode, but they don’t even need to buy it some of them would always pay dollars for a skin in the gem shop, so just more income!

P.S.: GW2 is the best game I have ever played, the gameplay can be really fast and exciting, (games where you literally casting a skill for 4 second and staying still? super-slow motion compared to a PvP match here)
The way we don’t have to suffer from unbalanced gameplay where some maniac has a weapon which hits 200% more than yours and only paid $25k for it. (true story from PWI)
I could go on for days, but only peeps who already playing GW2 could responde so I hope that proves my point :/

Edit: The responses are long but please read into them if you wana post something cuz it’s maybe already answered / posted.

(edited by hisorange.3957)

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Necromonger.4970

Necromonger.4970

I think it’s a great idea, but i doubt they have the infrastructure to handle the burst of new players.

They can take the wow’s approach – you can level your characters up to level 20 without paying a cent.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: chibbi.3706

chibbi.3706

This is a brilliant idea.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

Let’s face it, everybody has been thinking about it. However, everytime i think about it, I don’t think I want to deal with F2P scrubs. I’d hate to see League of Legends type of community in this game. We do have scrubs in our own community as it is, but they are not as much.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Tao.1234

Tao.1234

Why isn’t this a thing yet?

Because B2P is fine as it is.

ANet wana make PvP an eSport spending alot of money and time on it to happen, but even tho the GW2 is kinda popular it can never compete with F2P games; And of course I don’t want it to go F2P in all three game mode, bots and gold sellers would pop from every corner, but we have seen there is a system for demo accounts where they can limit the experience, then just give out the PvP part to everyone.

Lately the development looks as if Anet has hired hardcore Korean devs. No diversity, balance jumping like on bungee, grindy stuff.
Well, if you’ll look for future updates, it seems like the “casual” game is going to be dropped, and it’s going toward games such as WoW, Aion, Tera and so on – where you’re punished for kittenz and forced to grind.

What’s the reasoning behind it? GW2 has no viewership on twitch basicly everyone who watching already has an account, so no new players gathered from there.

Ask their marketing rather.
Personally I have seen and heard about Gw2 only in 2012. Since Winter 2012 couldn’t see any kind of ads or open conversations.
Same was with Gw1.
It’s more like, if you want to learn about gw2’s existence then you gotta search for it, like for Illuminati or something xD

What about the bots? If we get the dishonor system back and remove hot-join rewards they can’t farm nothing.

HotJoin has 25% track per day or so.
Honestly, if they did open a F2P version, I would allow an option to Queue to something like HotJoin and keep the reward track by ~25% a day.
If they would like to gain more and have full access to game – purchase it – for like €20?
In my opinion, reasonable enough.

What about the economy? PvPers can farm reward tracks for skins and can earn a small amount of gold but PvE is much more worthy so no real impact would come from there, since gold useless in PvP.

I’ll surprise you.
Nowadays, doing Reward Tracks bring you so much goods, that’s comparable to PvE.
And hence to be even more frank with you, I got more ascended boxes from PvP Reward Track, than from PvE and WvW together.
Those people would get a lot of crafting materials such as T5 and T6.
Prices would drop for sure.

We could get a huge PvP player base and see more versatility, also folks now can try out the game without those “invite your friend to try out gw2 for 2 day” events and buy it if they like or wana get all 3 game mode, but they don’t even need to buy it some of them would always pay dollars for a skin in the gem shop, so just more income!

Those dev nabs have to get their kittenz together and balance PvP properly so anyone will find something niche for themselves and be compete with the others – and I mean builds.
Right now the only mode which allows that is WvW, and still it’s not as cute as it may sound.
What may work greatly on people is such diversity with such low amount of classes with great palette of builds, and ability to swap builds at given time.
Those builds are seen by people as Subclasses, and people who still remember L2 and Rift, would be pleased to have a chance to try it out.

P.S.: GW2 is the best game I have ever played, the gameplay can be really fast and exciting, (games where you literally casting a skill for 4 second and staying still? super-slow motion compared to a PvP match here)
The way we don’t have to suffer from unbalanced gameplay where some maniac has a weapon which hits 200% more than yours and only paid $25k for it. (true story from PWI)
I could go on for days, but only peeps who already playing GW2 could responde so I hope that proves my point :/

Well, that’s true that no matter how much money you have, if you’re bad then you’re bad and everyone run in the “same” gear.

Suspended for telling Like it is.
Anet gave birth to Gw2 – Anet killed Gw2.
Murican law 2015.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

Let’s face it, everybody has been thinking about it. However, everytime i think about it, I don’t think I want to deal with F2P scrubs. I’d hate to see League of Legends type of community in this game. We do have scrubs in our own community as it is, but they are not as much.

Given the amount of people who play League of Legends, it’s highly likely the majority of people who play Guild Wars 2 are the League of Legends community.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Vieux P.1238

Vieux P.1238

I’ve mentioned this idea or something very close to it b4. Thread was trolled as usual.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: duster.7013

duster.7013

They have reputation and they are on arguably the best possible end of b2p, f2p would be kittening away money and therefore development resources. I don’t want to have 1 min shorter que times so I can play with 12 year olds who can’t afford the game.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Tao.1234

They have reputation and they are on arguably the best possible end of b2p, f2p would be kittening away money and therefore development resources. I don’t want to have 1 min shorter que times so I can play with 12 year olds who can’t afford the game.

That’s only if:
- Anet get money from sold copies
- Anet doesn’t get money from sold items in Gem Shop

Murican law 2015.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: PlatinumMember.5274

PlatinumMember.5274

There is no point in making it f2p. There are very few ways to monetize MMORPG PvP games to make it worthwhile to f2p. Mobas can be f2p because you need to buy heroes, MMORPG however do not have that benefit and thus does not make it worthwhile.

Finally, how many people will give up LoL to come play guild wars 2. The point being making it f2p is a waste of money and resources.

It is easy to ask for things OP when you don’t have to think about the logistics and the difficulty it is to convert a game to f2p and still find ways to generate income without making it too causing a backlash.

Can you list more than 2 f2p PvP mmorpg ONLY games?

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

No.

Becouse fp2 gold shenanigans!

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

hisorange.3957

I will try to answer all the concern in one post.

The timing: It’s someting that they could have done from start and the idea isn’t new for me either, but the Leagues what bought this up in me once again.

Scrubs: As a programer it seems logic to me to use the League system in matcmaking as a filter, new players arrive without skills and their MMR / Rank / League is at the bottom so old players not going to be matched up against them IF the matcmaking will use the Leagues as filtering arrays, so Tier 1 playes will fight against Tier 1 or max Tier 2 players, so you don’t have to worry as Legendary player to get into a full scrub team.

Performance/Server issues: The PvP instance is the least problematic map to host, there are basicly no other calculations made other than the players interaction with each other, the most resource intensive calculations are the path finding and the AI of the NPC; I don’t have exact numbers or any interaction with the source code, but from personal experience I say it takes more server resource to host 1 WB train map than 50 PvP match in the same time.

Economy: I rarely play PvE nowtimes because in PvP I have no use of the gold whatsoever and if you get dungeon armours you still can’t do no more than salvage it an sell the insignia, but in 1 hour at SW CF PvE players earn around 10-20 gold at bare minimum and the economy still carry that over. (Also I got a lot of ascended gear from PvP but it’s acc bound, and salvageing not gona make me a 100 gold so basicly it’s good for nothing as income)

F2P PvP models: Nope, I can’t list other MMORPG but I played a lot F2P back in the days and many of them were originaly P2P or B2P just the model did not made big enough player base. And when they gone F2P the game got into it’s golden age. (Look at AION, even tho the game was popular after it become F2P it overtook every other F2P mmo out there)

Income: I strongly belive that many F2P PvP player would buy the game just to get their hand on the rest of the content, PvE isn’t a big topic in this sub forum but the truth is even tho it’s not the hardest PvE game still much better then 99% of MMOs, do you remember the quests to kill 500 of the same mob turn in and get a new one with a different mob? Yeah, that’s still what most MMORPG all about. GW2 has a better gameplay but no1 knows about it, cuz it’s behind an untryable 50$ gate.

Marketing: Tao made a good point here, if you wana play GW2 you need to find it, I agree on everything you said there, but I can shovel one more pile of dirt to it.
You can watch some yt video on it, or twitch channel (30-50 viewer max on pve) but can’t try out the game for myself, I remember when they made this invite your friend to try out GW2 weekend, I told it 2 of my friend they tried it out, and bought it at the next monday!

F2P games has the advantage that you can go try out and see it for yourself, but GW2 losing a lot of attention and potentially good players just because they need to bet $50 blindly on a game that they may not gona like it in 2 hours.

Duster: Frostball from oRNG is 15 yr old now, he would own most the PvP player If the queue has 3 times more people than now you will be still matched up against r80 players, I know this for sure, cuz my friend a PvE only player and sometime when I go over and play PvP on his rank 10-20~ ish acc I continiously get matched up against similar players, meanwhile on my own acc. I always get serious matches.

Hot-Join: Lastly my concern isn’t the reward track but the bots which playing 0-24 and switching accs when they reached the gold limit / day.

Hope I answered most of the concern I didn’t wanted to write an even larger OP post because peeps will read half of the post and drop in their problems even tho it’s maybe answered in the post later.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

chibbi.3706

There is no point in making it f2p. There are very few ways to monetize MMORPG PvP games to make it worthwhile to f2p. Mobas can be f2p because you need to buy heroes, MMORPG however do not have that benefit and thus does not make it worthwhile.

Finally, how many people will give up LoL to come play guild wars 2. The point being making it f2p is a waste of money and resources.

It is easy to ask for things OP when you don’t have to think about the logistics and the difficulty it is to convert a game to f2p and still find ways to generate income without making it too causing a backlash.

You don’t need to buy heroes or anything in DotA and F2P still works perfectly fine. As a matter of fact i’m pretty sure 90% of the real money transaction are done in order to buy skins and not champions in LoL. (at least everyone I know never bought any champion with real money, but bought from a few to a lot of skins.)

And to answer the fears about community, as someone who plays both, GW2 community (in PvP) is not that much better than LoL.

(edited by chibbi.3706)

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Ulf.4937

Ulf.4937

I very much agree with the OP and his reasoning and I believe that considering the ugly armour starting characters have the F2P players would surely invest gems to get better skins like it happens in MOBAs just make F2P Players not get loot and u will force them to the gemshop for skins → money.

On the issue of F2P MMORPGs I can think of “Starwars the Old Republic” which also gets it´s money from transfers via their ingame “Cartel Market” equivalent of “Blacklion” and subscribers with F"P having reduced privilages but access to wise parts of the game.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

I think that the monetization wouldn’t be problem at all.

They’d have to make Reward Tracks a little more accesible, since “F2P players” would not be able to do dungeons. Maybe more zones in “free rotation” and buyable reward tracks with gems?

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Free to play PvP

in PvP

chibbi.3706

just make F2P Players not get loot and u will force them to the gemshop for skins -> money.

That, however, would be bad. You need to get something when playing games, it feels good and gives you the incentive to continue playing. People would still buy gems because it’ll go faster.

In dota you get skins by playing, it’s just a lot slower than by paying.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

hisorange.3957

I only did like 2 or 3 dungeon’s story so I got my dungeon skins from rotation only.
But if you look at the good side if for e.g. CoF runs out the rotation and the play dont wana wait 7 week to get back to it, they would always buy the game :O Income

The PvP atm based on the players who doing it only for the “easy” daily and the players who already on the top and playing with each other for years now, since HoT annonunced I didn’t seen any kind of player base bloom or anything, and I don’t think the actual release day gona bring any difference. :/

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: SnowCow.5914

SnowCow.5914

I strongly agree with this!

Pvp needs a lot more players and this will generate it.

-More people equals more support for the pvp scene, more teams, more revenue (I’m pretty sure people will buy the game once they are invested), and overall more support due to a larger player-base which equals moar ESPORTS!

Isn’t more ESPORTS anets goal?

Can’t win team fight’s without me; can’t hold points without me. #BunkerGuardLife
Teszla

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: duster.7013

duster.7013

F2p isnt an automatic success. There have been plenty of failed f2p games, its an over saturated market. Just being able to make a game, advertise it, and result in sales is huge, and devs should be doing that while they still can. F2p is always there as a last resort.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Lucifer.7289

Lucifer.7289

FTP MMOs are the biggest failures community wise. If Arena Net opens up pvp as FTP, Guild wars 2 good friendly community that we are known for, would vanish. We would have large amount of Toxic trolls.

Free to play models work on MOBAS……..that’s about it. Counter strike CS:GO is the 3rd most popular Esport in the world and it’s Buy to play.

Business model has nothing to do with a games success in the Esport world. Buy to play works great for guild wars 2 and keeps the toxicity level at a low in our pvp community.

No one wants troll FTP accounts in guild wars 2.

Hellion

Free to play PvP

in PvP

hisorange.3957

“Guild wars 2 good friendly community” I agree there are some old sport player, but there is no pardon in competitive games, but let me give you point of view:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp

16 thread from 27 is nothing more than rant and QQ, I counted it not just guessing. I read most of it, we had a topic collection not so long ago which collected rants about all of the 8 class is “OP”;

I don’t think any1 who has their map chat turned on didn’t got messages like.

“kittening zerker” → just because the other one ran 0 surviveability build
“noob tanker kitten ” → just because burst didn’t bought you down.
“easy kitten ” → 2-3v1 you are weak cuz can’t counter their team alone
“no skill condi trash” → in this game if you plan longer than your cast time, you gona be a noob by some merit.
… I could go on PvPer community will always compete, if one loses a fight will compete with words afterwards.

It’s ok, this is part of the game, no game out there where it doesn’t go the same way.

Still many does not considering that a new troll account will be useless, they will be matched in the lowest level and will be out ranked almost instanly.

Nothing can hold the trolls back at the current system either, you can troll at rank80 too, reports make no difference, and dishonor only applies if you leave the match, a troll cares the less.

CS:GO cannot be compared in many way, I said only F2P the PvP part 99% of the game is still B2P and the PvP would allow to get a quick peek before buy.

Also because of the matchmaking system if you are a player who played PvP for at least a month you will never see totaly new players around.

Btw if ANet sets a gate like Rank 20+ on (Un)Ranked arenas you will get players in there if they already know how the game mechanic works.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Lucifer.7289

Lucifer.7289

“Guild wars 2 good friendly community” I agree there are some old sport player, but there is no pardon in competitive games, but let me give you point of view:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp

16 thread from 27 is nothing more than rant and QQ, I counted it not just guessing. I read most of it, we had a topic collection not so long ago which collected rants about all of the 8 class is “OP”;

I don’t think any1 who has their map chat turned on didn’t got messages like.

“kittening zerker” -> just because the other one ran 0 surviveability build
“noob tanker kitten ” -> just because burst didn’t bought you down.
“easy kitten ” -> 2-3v1 you are weak cuz can’t counter their team alone
“no skill condi trash” -> in this game if you plan longer than your cast time, you gona be a noob by some merit.
… I could go on PvPer community will always compete, if one loses a fight will compete with words afterwards.

It’s ok, this is part of the game, no game out there where it doesn’t go the same way.

Still many does not considering that a new troll account will be useless, they will be matched in the lowest level and will be out ranked almost instanly.

Nothing can hold the trolls back at the current system either, you can troll at rank80 too, reports make no difference, and dishonor only applies if you leave the match, a troll cares the less.

CS:GO cannot be compared in many way, I said only F2P the PvP part 99% of the game is still B2P and the PvP would allow to get a quick peek before buy.

Also because of the matchmaking system if you are a player who played PvP for at least a month you will never see totaly new players around.

Btw if ANet sets a gate like Rank 20+ on (Un)Ranked arenas you will get players in there if they already know how the game mechanic works.

Your going by the forums and basing our community on that?? You are misguided and misinformed greatly if you think a games forum is a good way to judge the community.

Every online gaming forum has whiners. Guild wars 2 was voted “Nicest” community. I been playing Guild wars 2 since beta and guild wars 1 and all their expansions. Guild wars pvp community has always been the least Toxic community.

FTP would be terrible for Guild wars 2 and a slap in the pvp communities face. All FTP for pvp only would do is create a toxic community period.

I love Arena Net because they have no tolerance policy for breaking their TOS, they ban exploiters and people who take part in violent verbal harassment in game.

Free to play would destroy that aspect. League of Legends and Dota 2 have some of the worst communities.

At the end of the day Guild wars 2 is not developed and created as a pure Esport game like Dota 2 and LOL were.

You would be destroying paying loyal customers experience making changes for “Esports” which is a very very very small minority of players in pvp. Not everyone who takes part in pvp takes this game seriously or gives a crap what’s on ESL.

If Arena Net wants the mainstream Esport community to take their game seriously, they need to start by balancing the classes better and putting more competitive infrastructure in place that promotes that type of play, which hopefully leagues will do when they add it in the expansion.

Hellion

(edited by Lucifer.7289)

Free to play PvP

in PvP

hisorange.3957

I still don’t see how peeps connect F2P with bad community, B2P makes any difference? ToS? You mean when anet banned 10.000 account because they converted karma to gold , but if you clear you block list, you will get gold selling messages instantly even tho the acc was reported 2 year ago?

I like this community, there are some posts in this thread which explains their point of view with reasons behind it, and it’s a topic to talk about, which we do.

But please don’t just drop the “toxic” bomb, COD is a B2P too, and you never seen so much trash at one place other than that XD

By the way, I strongly belive our ingame community’s calm and nice side is strongly connected to the way the game is designed, no KS here so peeps not QQ about drop teefs, no drop share, so no need to go in arguments who deserves what, PvP is equal so hard to QQ about unfair advantage (still happens just on builds), WvW the names are hidden, PvP even the ranks and MMR are hidden so can’t argue about who made the team lose.

Shows how well the game is designed in this aspect, but you will still get kicked from party if you got less than 5k AP for a dungeon

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Acandis.3250

Acandis.3250

It would work if F2P accounts would:

• Not be able to generate, earn, or receive gold.
  • Can still receive or purchase Gems from Trading Post.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

You are completely wrong. F2P would bring in more players which is what we need. ANET could make money then through:

1. Heroes sales for stronghold
2. Upgrades to buy the elite specs
3. Boosters
4. Custom Arena rooms

Everyone wins.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

It would work if F2P accounts would:

• Not be able to generate, earn, or receive gold.
  • Can still receive or purchase Gems from Trading Post.

you can also not let them whisper and many other things.

WvW and the temptation of large map huge scale pvp would cause many F2P players to buy the game i feel. HotM is cool as is pvp, but seeing and talking to all the players who own the full game will tempt them. for instance you could make friends who happen to also run fractals and would like you to come along, so you buy HoT to join them.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: HamHat.5201

HamHat.5201

I don’t want to alarm you but anet doesn’t care about pvp. Fact.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Ravenmoon.5318

Pretty bold thing to say now that they announced pvp leagues …. o.O

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Tao.1234

Pretty bold thing to say now that they announced pvp leagues …. o.O

Considering balances, previous statements, and other stuff…it’s a Fact.

Or after 3 years you want to tell me, that their magical announcement about Leagues and overall balance is something to believe in?

People are for long already into:
- Actions first, words later.

Murican law 2015.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

hisorange.3957

Not really sure how ANet standing with PvP seemslike they invest money into it by paying for the ESL / WTS.

My biggest concern with PvP is the way ANet taking feedbacks, like teef was day 0 OP in 1vs1 and it’s just the recent patch where they become a decapper / skirmisher which I think is their role and atm there is alot QQ topic about how a class is too strong for their role, I agree d/d ele has too much role at the current patch and shatter mesmer’s burst + surviveabiliy isn’t in the level with any other class.

But on the global picture if they tune those stats we could end up with a viable PvP, no 8k AA from power necro, no stealth execution from teef, rampage strong but the CD is in the perfect spot for it, enginers got alot versatility, rangers are kinda good with condi if they against a full zerker they may need a bit more dmg tho.

So the overall picture is close to be good, ofc elite spec will mess up everything XD

If they react just a bit faster to balance changes things will work out.

Please don’t charge ANet on patch day and say this is OP and that is OP, we see how meta changing because even if something seems OP at first glance a month later noone playing it cuz the community learned to counter it. (e.g. burning guard is still strong but soo much less topic you see about it, cuz players started to counter it)

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: PlatinumMember.5274

PlatinumMember.5274

You don’t need to buy heroes or anything in DotA and F2P still works perfectly fine. As a matter of fact i’m pretty sure 90% of the real money transaction are done in order to buy skins and not champions in LoL. (at least everyone I know never bought any champion with real money, but bought from a few to a lot of skins.)

And to answer the fears about community, as someone who plays both, GW2 community (in PvP) is not that much better than LoL.

Did you read what I wrote or did you just skim through it?
Skins for what? Champions?

Why don’t you give an simple example of how guild wars 2 could be monetize that makes making it f2p worthwhile from a business standpoint. Something that will generate revenue.

Also I notice since you replied to me that you did not give me an example of an PvP only MMORPG, why do you think those are rare or nonexist? (I know you did not bring it up).

You are completely wrong. F2P would bring in more players which is what we need. ANET could make money then through:

1. Heroes sales for stronghold
2. Upgrades to buy the elite specs
3. Boosters
4. Custom Arena rooms

Everyone wins.

More players are not inheriently beneficial IF there isn’t a good way to monetize the game to support the increase population.

All those things you listed are not enough to sustain the game.
1. Booster what would you be boosting that makes it worthwhile? have you wondered why they decided to change booster this last patch? Not even PvEer bother with it and they have a lot of reasons to.
2. Upgrade to elite spec, that could work but that is a one time purchase unless they constantly release new ones, which I doubt they could pull it off. Let’s not forget that doing this removes a very critical reason why people should buy the expansion aka it kittenes off the largest base in the game PvEer. Totally worth it, right.
3. Heroes, you don’t really need heroes to play strong hold, you could find a friend that has it. The heroes are not even game changing or critical.
4. Custom Arenas could work.

All those things you listed are things that could be monetize but none of them are things are attractive enough to push players into buying it. Also all your points assume that players would want to leave whatever current MOBA to play guild wars 2. You have no numbers of back up your claims, either.

In any case, at this stage of the game converting PvP to f2p is not a worthwhile venture. It takes a lot of work to make proper cash shop items, change system but more importantly it splits resources far too much. I can see why it looks attractive to you, to make guild wars 2 f2p more players good. But like a terrible lot ideas on this forum (non balance related), they hand wave the business aspect of suggestions thinking it is easy to pull off. It is not.

(edited by PlatinumMember.5274)

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: HamHat.5201

HamHat.5201

longbow ranger was a thing for how long? If they really cared about the pvp system, they would be making balances at least every other month not every other year.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

hisorange.3957

LB/GS was good in solo q but not in teams sadly ANet may thought, ok ranger’s pro is strong in random 1v1, and their con is no team support.

I assume this cuz they said exactly the same about necro in PvE situations, where the class’s them is a greedy but high surviveability.

As I said there are flaws, but now times we got more patches and I sincerely hope this will go on.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

chibbi.3706

Did you read what I wrote or did you just skim through it?
Skins for what? Champions?

Why don’t you give an simple example of how guild wars 2 could be monetize that makes making it f2p worthwhile from a business standpoint. Something that will generate revenue.

Also I notice since you replied to me that you did not give me an example of an PvP only MMORPG, why do you think those are rare or nonexist? (I know you did not bring it up).

Yes people buy skins for champions. And you could very well do the same system in GW, heck they’re actually doing it right now, selling armor and weapon skins for gems.
So that’s how you monetarize it, you just sell armor and weapon skins to those ugly kitten lvl1 characters.
And yes, you can buy gems with in game gold, but considering what PvP player earn, they will still buy gems if they don’t want to farm for 3 months to buy a skin.

Also I didn’t answer to the MMORPG part of the question because I don’t know much MMORPG in general.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Jekkt.6045

Jekkt.6045

people crying about how f2p would bring in immature scrubs
people saying that cs isn’t f2p either

so… the obvious result…

make a pvp only version of the game and sell it for 5-10$, even if it’s with the new elite specs and revenant.

Ex player of PeanutButterJellyTime, Heavenly Annoying and Visceral Gaming.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

Making anything F2P gives the appearance of desperation. That the game is dieing. There is no need.

… I still want tengu.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Jekkt.6045

the game is dying, there are 2 eu longtime top teams and 1 in na… esl go4 cups rarely have a full bracket..

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

GW2 is arguably panned as the most friendliest mmo community going.

Making the games PvP F2P would completely destroy that.

people crying about how f2p would bring in immature scrubs
people saying that cs isn’t f2p either

so… the obvious result…

make a pvp only version of the game and sell it for 5-10$, even if it’s with the new elite specs and revenant.

Or instead of being restricted to one game mode for a cost of 5-10 dollars, they can just wait for the base game to go on sale (because it frequently does) and pick up the entire package for that same price you suggested.

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Jekkt.6045

i don’t think that’s gonna happen anytime soon anymore now that the expansion is coming out and the base game does not get sold anymore.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

hisorange.3957

For those who saying F2P communities are bad:
COD B2P <— new words made to trash talk each other
CS:GO B2P <— hackers buy the game over and over again
WoW P2P <— had a kinda good community, but old players just looked down on new ones

Hearthstone <— F2P, immense playerbase from the start.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Chapell.1346

Chapell.1346

No, this game doesn’t need that. all we need is people like YOU who constantly keep brainwashing people in forum with one of your 50accounts. how about go get your main account when HoT release and start pvp-ing with me. more teams more esport.

[Urge]
Between a master and apprentice, i would love to see the differences.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

I think it would be good for the game in an ideal world to have F2P PvP. But in reality, you’d have the problem with cheaters/hackers. Ban them and they’ll just make new F2P accounts.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Ravenmoon.5318

WoW P2P <— had a kinda good community, but old players just looked down on new ones

You can’t compare 50$ purchase to a 10$ purchase with steam discounts down to 2$ (that’s how much I got my CS:GO for). WoW has millions of players. You are bound to have jerks in that pool

Hearthstone ….. let’s just say….be glad hearthstone has no chat in-game. Or rather, no player interaction at all.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

hisorange.3957

No, this game doesn’t need that. all we need is people like YOU who constantly keep brainwashing people in forum with one of your 50accounts. how about go get your main account when HoT release and start pvp-ing with me. more teams more esport.

Uhm what? I have only one account and I PvP everyday more or less depends on my mood till, I ran into players who rather throwing trash than ideas.

Sorry guys I am trying to have a 2 sided conversation here, thanks to those actually trying to come up with pros / cons. Of course we cannot influence ANet’s decisions directly but we can have our own chit chat here, and in this world everything started out as an idea.

roamzero.9486 I would say doesn’t matter F2P or B2P bugs / hacks need to be fixed anyway.

Ravenmoon.5318 Every competitive game will be rounded around agression and, I don’t think the $10 gate half year ago bought in cheaters or any worse players.
Hearthstone is in the list to prove F2P isn’t a dead / last resort model.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

F2P should offer no access to market, or player trading by making all items BoA and disabiling all currency types.

HoTM only.

There needs to be far stricter dishonour rules for the F2P crowd, and the ability for B2P players to opt out on all communication with F2P players (essentially a global ignore feature) as well as F2P players put on seperate servers with restricted guesting privelages.

With a model like that I can’t see how people will lose out…

Phaatonn, London UK

Free to play PvP

in PvP

hisorange.3957

Separated world, hmm that’s not even a bad idea but how about a small plus, if they get rank 40 (at those lvl peeps are already know the basic) let them play with everyone else, no1 wana troll away an acc with like 600-700 serious match.

Also F2P players get a separated reward track, similar to the old skin system where we only got blue / green etc.. skins out of the matches? I mean setting up simple restictions wouldn’t be hard.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

Separated world, hmm that’s not even a bad idea but how about a small plus, if they get rank 40 (at those lvl peeps are already know the basic) let them play with everyone else, no1 wana troll away an acc with like 600-700 serious match.

Also F2P players get a separated reward track, similar to the old skin system where we only got blue / green etc.. skins out of the matches? I mean setting up simple restictions wouldn’t be hard.

By having a reward track only providing BoA items(no trash), and no access to currency (ie wallet) items, there would be no issue providing F2P players with regular gear.

Non-trash (removal of everything except exotic)reward tracks should be an option for regular players too, but that’s a separate issue.

And yes guesting privelages with higher ranks would work well.

Phaatonn, London UK

(edited by Phaeton.9582)

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

CoD B2P – Can communicate with the players easily.
CS:GO B2P – Can communicate with the players easily.
WoW P2P – Can communicate with the players easily.
Hearthstone F2P – Yeah not so much.

You’ve also just compared the community of first person shooters and an MMO to a Card game.

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Chapell.1346

Chapell.1346

Ideas.

I already gave it, you only need to read good sir. And I dont think Anet is foolishly enough to make this game a f2p cos they already know the consequences.
Oh and comparing this game against MoBa’s and other clicking stuff? Really? And Heartstone? Really? Please ignore my jokes.

[Urge]
Between a master and apprentice, i would love to see the differences.

Free to play PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Nyans.9280

Nyans.9280

Arena Net is a business; they need $$$ incentive for this to happen. I as a player don’t mind it if there are restricted access F2P players boosting the sPvP playerbase for when Leagues comes out (those queue times I potentially worry about, especially if people want team and solo queues).

Trick is restricting F2P playerbase while still providing incentive to play/grind and spend in gem store. So that it’s reiterated, restrict them to HotM/sPvP only; no WvW or PvE.

*Limit character slots and bank/bag access; the player needs to use gems to expand. Although, what just stops them from having multiple accounts for several characters. Then again, each account/character will have its own MMR, so I do not know on that end.

*Could potentially restrict ranked game access until either a high rank level (less trolls due to amount of time committed) and/or purchased access via gem store.

*To continue on with that idea, limit interaction with community; isolated on F2P lobbies, restricted mail/whisper access (e.g., cannot whisper someone unless they have you added on friend’s list or they a F2P player). Reward more access as the player’s rank gets higher to a limit (e.g., permission to whisper people freely at X rank, access to trading company at Y rank, etc); give option to maybe buy early access to these features via gems or full-game upgrade.

*Leave reward tracks, but maybe slow progression down to something like half or third of the current rate. Got to leave the incentive there to keep playing for unlocks; they stay playing means more people to potentially buy from the gem store for outfits and other aesthetics. I’m unsure about hotjoin reward track progress though.

*Got to remember they need transmutation stones to alter gear appearance and you get very little dyes inside sPvP to my current knowledge (maybe via laurels…). That there is potential incentive.

*If uneasy about the idea, use it as a ‘promotion’ marketing type thing for a few weeks or a month. If it is successful, think of it for long term; if it is not, well, you gave yourself a backdoor to use.

These features I mentioned above could potentially be purchased via gems separately, and the purchase of the game could just be a ‘bundle’ type deal. I do recommend leaving full character build access compared to standard player; just restrict their community interactions, convenience, and aesthetics.

I’m sure I could brainstorm more crap up, but I’ll leave it to others for now. The pros of this is an increased playerbase resulting in faster queues (i.e., can make more league tiers and/or solo/team queue without the queue times being potentially large), potential popularity boost in the game esports/twitch wise, trial edition, and provides a potential increase in revenue via gems. The cons of course is that the player base may potentially be toxic and/or full of youth (con to many people… I know I was a youth once too…), f2p reputation (although could be great marketing ploy as most people I know nowadays have never heard of this game…), and the risk of this backfiring.

As a disclaimer, I got very limited knowledge on what the design and maintenance cost of this endeavor would be, so I cannot actually do a cost vs profit analysis. I do not know how many people would initially bombard the game, as well as how much it would cost for the server upgrades, data storage, and crap like that.

Got carried away typing… GJ to anyone that actually read this; it’s more for skim read and brainstorming ideas with my opinion(s).

TL;DR – Yes, this can be good; just limit the F2P access and reward them with some access as they level rank up. Provide them with gem store incentives for aesthetics (dyes, transmutations, outfits, etc.) to generate some $$$. The above goes more indepth.