Frenzy Nerf: Any reason to bring a Warrior?

in PvP

Posted by: Defektive.7283

Defektive.7283

I’m at work so I can’t confirm this but. The Frenzy attack speed increase has been halved, but the damage taken is still the same.

100B / Frenzy is what makes a warrior viable in high end PvP. That sector just took a hit.

But it’s ok our banners now give you 80 more stats!

Not to mention our useless utilities and traits (hello Confusion on stun) didn’t get a wiggle of a change.

Yet the development staff was more than happy to add in a whole new progression system for WvW with ‘WvW Ability Points’.

God help me with my frustration.

tPvP Warrior
http://www.twitch.tv/defektive
Team Blacklisted [Envy]

(edited by Defektive.7283)

in PvP

Posted by: IDarko.4709

IDarko.4709

Yeah it’s amazing that they managed to nerf the worst spvp class even further. A lot of good things in this patch but the balance and spvp part is really meh imo.

Dius Vanguard [DiVa]
Gandara – WvW Warrior

in PvP

Posted by: Ayestes.1273

Ayestes.1273

At the very least, the penalty on Frenzy and the associated Quickness skills should be looked at.

Virydia – Hearld
Tirydia – Scrapper

in PvP

Posted by: Kitcat.1739

Kitcat.1739

Same thing happened to Sword/Pistol thieves. Not sure where this leaves me….I’ll try to work around it, but I may end up rolling one of those stealth/burst thieves that everyone loves so much. :/

“Premade”
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

in PvP

Posted by: Oni.5429

Oni.5429

We’ve been able to be very dominant with out warrior pick and I never felt like it was a great handicap. Warrior was in an okayish position.

With this patch, however, we are dropping our warrior. I don’t think we’ll be able to beat top teams at all without frenzy or the great synergy war has with timewarp.

Crs Helseth, Mesmer for Team Curse

in PvP

Defektive.7283

We’ve been able to be very dominant with out warrior pick and I never felt like it was a great handicap. Warrior was in an okayish position.

If played in a team setting correctly a Warrior can do alright. But they have to be very aware of their teammates, condi cleanses from them etc. Other classes perform these abilities on their own so when comparing the two and determining which is more independent for different roles – a Warrior is usually shut out.

That’s not to say good teams can’t implement them successfully, the difference is the amount of effort needed to make it work and how that effort can’t be replicated for lower skill tiered players and their respected teams.

tPvP Warrior
Team Blacklisted [Envy]

in PvP

Posted by: Varonth.5830

Varonth.5830

That warrior could use some buffs and tweaks in certain areas, yeah.
But quickness was bad before (in my opinion it will still be bad with the 50% nerf, but have to test that first). Someone using a 0.25s skill reduced that time to 0.125s. I currently have a latency of 63ms.
So I would have to react to an incoming skill in 0.062s.

That’s just impossible.

in PvP

Defektive.7283

That warrior could use some buffs and tweaks in certain areas, yeah.
But quickness was bad before (in my opinion it will still be bad with the 50% nerf, but have to test that first). Someone using a 0.25s skill reduced that time to 0.125s. I currently have a latency of 63ms.
So I would have to react to an incoming skill in 0.062s.

That’s just impossible.

I understand that. So just remove quickness all together across the board and revamp Warriors traits / utilities (as well as other classes) to accommodate a less bursty environment.

tPvP Warrior
Team Blacklisted [Envy]

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

ofcourse you’ll want to bring a warrior! they can kick while moving!
so what if they can’t do anything else as well as the other classes can, they can kick while moving!
so OP!
on a serious note, yes it totally sucks, no attempt at compensating what-so-ever,
i’m not surprised though, i’m as disappointed as i expected i would be each patch

The warrior, the worst class in the game.™

in PvP

Posted by: R E F L H E X.8413

R E F L H E X.8413

Take a deep breath.

I bought this game for spvp.

However after playing both formats wvw is obviously the better one.

Don’t bash wvw updates, go play it and you will figure it out after a while, and wonder why you didn’t make the switch earlier.

Yet the development staff was more than happy to add in a whole new progression system for WvW with ‘WvW Ability Points’.

Sure I didn’t care for the player vs door part, but once you start getting gold at decent rates, being a guy throwing down the rams and stuff is kinda fun.

I must’ve missed the sign that said it was a fire sale.

(edited by R E F L H E X.8413)

in PvP

Posted by: PistolWraith.6732

PistolWraith.6732

If kick CD was 10 seconds instead of 20 it would be so fun to use.

in PvP

Posted by: Kwll.1468

Kwll.1468

Well, its unfortunate they made such a major change without good compensation elsewhere at the same time but in general the type of dps that could be put out in a short time span is not a good game mechanic. That’s the best way to balance a game is too slowly remove/modify bad game mechanics. It doesn’t matter whether the class as a whole is op or underpowered stuff that is not optimal for balanced pvp combat that is fun needs to be removed/modified and if needed the class affected boosted elsewhwere. That’s how balance works. You just don’t say ability X is justified because over-all a class is weak or average. Believe it or not its no fun to get locked down and killed in a couple seconds.

in PvP

Defektive.7283

Take a deep breath.

I bought this game for spvp.

However after playing both formats wvw is obviously the better one.

Don’t bash wvw updates, go play it and you will figure it out after a while, and wonder why you didn’t make the switch earlier.

Sure I didn’t care for the player vs door part, but once you start getting gold at decent rates, being a guy throwing down the rams and stuff is kinda fun.

I don’t like WvW, and to clarify, I have played it a number of times. I bought and play this game for sPvP. Yet this sector of the game is just getting reamed patch after patch.

tPvP Warrior
Team Blacklisted [Envy]

in PvP

Posted by: R E F L H E X.8413

R E F L H E X.8413

It took me quite a while and quite a bit of kittening to get into wvw, and then I started liking it, however I was still kittening from server imbalances.

It just takes a while to get into it, you start finding certain things you can do as a player that you do like and then sometimes get in with the zerg also to take down key areas, or setup a large siege area to try to take down a fortitified tower while having to not let anyone near the siege etc,etc.

I must’ve missed the sign that said it was a fire sale.

in PvP

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

If kick CD was 10 seconds instead of 20 it would be so fun to use.

It can be 16 seconds if traited

Pineapples

in PvP

Defektive.7283

You just don’t say ability X is justified because over-all a class is weak or average.

Agreed, but to modify ability ‘X’ without compensation else ware only reduces the effectiveness of the class. In this case, it’s reducing the effectiveness of the (competitively) worst class.

tPvP Warrior
Team Blacklisted [Envy]

(edited by Defektive.7283)

in PvP

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

Like I said in another thread, nerfing burst is good for the game in the long term. It will likely require even more changes to warrior and thief down the line, but burst was a pressing problem, particularly for new people trying to get into structured PvP.

You also have to consider that, in a weird way, this change also buffs warrior’s and thief’s survivability.

in PvP

Posted by: IDarko.4709

IDarko.4709

Warrior is bad against condis. Add a trait that makes the war deal more damage for every condi on him. It gives the enemy a choice. Put condis on war and make him stronger? Of course this is just one trait idea out of many. I expected way more skills/traits that counter condis by now.

Dius Vanguard [DiVa]
Gandara – WvW Warrior

in PvP

Defektive.7283

You also have to consider that, in a weird way, this change also buffs warrior’s and thief’s survivability.

Explain your reasoning.

They increased the duration of Frenzy, but kept the damage taken. Thats an survivability decrease.

Other classes can already poop on a Warrior without Frenzy needed.

tPvP Warrior
Team Blacklisted [Envy]

in PvP

Posted by: ahuba.6430

ahuba.6430

Does this change warrior really that much?
Warrior relied on baiting out the opponents defensive skills and then punish with knockdown + hb, so they just have to do the same right? If the opponent doesnt have any stunbreaker they will still eat the full hb, right?

in PvP

Posted by: Jzaku.9765

Jzaku.9765

Well, its unfortunate they made such a major change without good compensation elsewhere at the same time but in general the type of dps that could be put out in a short time span is not a good game mechanic. That’s the best way to balance a game is too slowly remove/modify bad game mechanics. It doesn’t matter whether the class as a whole is op or underpowered stuff that is not optimal for balanced pvp combat that is fun needs to be removed/modified and if needed the class affected boosted elsewhwere. That’s how balance works. You just don’t say ability X is justified because over-all a class is weak or average. Believe it or not its no fun to get locked down and killed in a couple seconds.

Sorry but “Once per month” is not “Slowly”, it’s “Astronomically Glacial”

in PvP

Posted by: Davinci.8027

Davinci.8027

No, burst is a very healthy mechanic. It’s hard to deal with if you’re new , but it leads to strategic and smart play as well as a higher skillcap due to the need for high – precision, good teamwork/coordination, and great positioning to be able to do well…
But hey, these words are just gonna be countered by “ye buts i di in 1 seconds bcs of stopid thieves 1 shots me!”

I hate what the forums have become. There are very few people who actually have the knowledge and experience to give any valid and valuable information to what this game needs, and as a result, the devs are listening to a bunch of inexperienced players talking about mechanics they don’t fully understand… sigh

They nerf the one class that has the greatest weakness in tPvP, and decide to compensate it by buffing a bunch of worthless abilties. Bladetrail nerfed, Frenzy nerfed. Cya Hman.

The sad thing about all of this, is that the devs, regardless of the feedback from the community, will think they did a “great job” and that they “hit the nail on the head” and that more improvements will “come soon”. They’ll choose to only focus on the positive feedback and infract anybody and anyone who has anything negative to say about this “amazing” game.
Welcome to USSR 1965.

in PvP

Posted by: Psybunny.8906

Psybunny.8906

Does this change warrior really that much?
Warrior relied on baiting out the opponents defensive skills and then punish with knockdown + hb, so they just have to do the same right? If the opponent doesnt have any stunbreaker they will still eat the full hb, right?

Because they didn’t increase our kd duration. Anyone with a breakstun off CD, knew when to dodge and a working set of brain, could easily break out of the 100b combo before. We got no compensation for the quickness nerf, so frenzy is pretty much suicide now. Less burst, but bigger timewindow to soak up more damage yourself, GG.
This patch pretty much broke the only viable tpvp build the warrior had.

My warrior is going on the shelf and will probably result on me playing tpvp a lot less. I might switch to my double shatter wombo-combos with mesmer and faceroll from time to time though. Ranger seems a lot more appealing now aswell.

in PvP

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

Same thing happened to Sword/Pistol thieves. Not sure where this leaves me….I’ll try to work around it, but I may end up rolling one of those stealth/burst thieves that everyone loves so much. :/

I too play a Sword/Pistol thief and it’s a dang shame, but look at something it seems they changed it so “Endurance can no longer be negative” so that would mean endurance immediately regenerates after haste :o.
However when I think Backstab haste combo for instance and the rendering issues that had on top of it’s absolutely ridiculous speed of execution? Lol had to happen.
Here’s hoping for Tactical to get reverted to it’s former glory with the reveal nerf and for Pistol whips dmg nerf to be reverted.
I don’t know why they didn’t revert them this patch shoot. Haste is reasonable, Reveal is reasonable. Revert the Sword nerfs…

Like I said in another thread, nerfing burst is good for the game in the long term. It will likely require even more changes to warrior and thief down the line, but burst was a pressing problem, particularly for new people trying to get into structured PvP.

The warrior burst with GS was not a problem as a result of being easily telegraphed. However making quickness more reasonable was a necessary change. Here’s hoping it doesn’t take them long to bring up the builds that were a little contingent on it, to be more respectable without it.

The great forum duppy.

in PvP

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

No, burst is a very healthy mechanic.

Nobody said it’s not. You just twisted my words to the extreme. The problem is burst was too high in some situations, particularly with haste.

Again, warriors and thieves will surely need buffs in the future as a result of this change, but the change is still a good starting point.

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

I personally don’t really think a warrior is going to help much with these changes. I wouldnt want a thief either. I would prefer 1 far point bunker ele. 2 ele roamers. 1 bunker guardian and 1 BM ranger.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Posted by: Psybunny.8906

Psybunny.8906

I personally don’t really think a warrior is going to help much with these changes. I wouldnt want a thief either. I would prefer 1 far point bunker ele. 2 ele roamers. 1 bunker guardian and 1 BM ranger.

Pretty much this, you can drop one ele for mesmer if you want some variety, but without sarcasm this actually sounds like the strongest setup atm.

in PvP

Posted by: Leadfoot.9071

Leadfoot.9071

nerfed the weakest class and buffed the strongest class… wtf?!?!

in PvP

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

100% for sure they need to nerf damage taken to 25% or something thereabouts.

in PvP

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

You guys are nuts.
Bannerway is here.
Only defense against turretway.

The great forum duppy.

in PvP

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

This change should have happened ages ago, but ehh, better late than never.

Its gonna take a few more months of tweaking to probably give warriors some reason to be, but yeah, Anet was saying the game wasn’t going to be really twitch based (to help latency and make the game more friendly) all Beta and earlier… with dodge rolling, interupts, quickness, and the turn of the pointedly-not-named-assassins into token-assassins…

Aaaaanyways, its a good step towards a more friendly game, something that, I mean after some more balancing plays out, might bring a few people to log back on and check it out.
—————————————-
Ideally they will give each class a base amount of cleansing so all the top builds aren’t the ones that go threw the 2~ ways to get a workable amount…
But ehh, I’ll just call that ‘too much work’ if that’s what your into…

Oh and better scoreboards/scoring, the ones at the moment tell menothing I want to see and just promote circle cap/zerging.

Maybe a non-trenchcoat medium armor or 2 too would be cool…

(edited by garethh.3518)

in PvP

Posted by: Noctis Assassin.4035

Noctis Assassin.4035

You guys are nuts.
Bannerway is here.
Only defense against turretway.

Banner will avenge you, for I’m here all alone. my team has fallen but I am still here. I cannot avenge you for I am too weak, but my banner will be there by my side until I die.

in PvP

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

100% for sure they need to nerf damage taken to 25% or something thereabouts.

And/or give immunity to crip/chill/imob for the duration. That could be kinda nifty.

in PvP

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

http://poll.pollcode.com/z2t57

Poll for players that playing warrior.