Full Class Reworks

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Posted by: Anari.2137

Anari.2137

Q:

I’m attempting to do balance pass for all classes. You will find the links for each one below.

Please Sticky!

Currently Working On: Mesmer
Others: Coming Soon.

Note: These are rough drafts. A lot of the values behind these will need to be tested and changed. Please keep this in mind as it is a natural part of the process of balancing.
the Objectives are to bring all classes into competitive play with each Spec at what they focus at. For example, if a healer does 1.1m heals a game, all healers should do 1.1m heals a game, however they should do it different. For example, one can do it via auto attacks, one can do it by regeneration, and one can do it by direct heals. Each adding flavor and value, but being competitive and balanced.

Guardian
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Guardian-Class-Full-Rework/first#post6090048

Ranger
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Ranger-Full-Class-Rework/first#post6091060

Elementalist
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Design-Pass-Elementalist/first#post6095617

(edited by Anari.2137)

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Posted by: Asrat.2645

Asrat.2645

Im working on stuff like this too, and what Ive found out is that it is almost impossible to do only one class at a time.
You have to work on the entire picture, balance everything respectively and in comparison to other classes mechanics.
One thing I can definetly recommend you to do is: try to create builds. Several/class.
You will have to do tons of math for that, but it is the only way you can make sure, your balance patch is better than anets. Ive the final goal to include 36 viable builds, but of course you will have to exponentially do more work the more builds you have to compare.

From my first look at your guard it looked like incredible powercreep(will add detailed feedback over there). If thats the intention of your balance: ok, but dont expect to see much love for it.
From the current state of the game it should be your goal to make each and every profession weaker than it currently is, exept for warrior maybe.
Best ways to accomplish that:
-Less access to boons
-Less access to hard CC
-Elite specs should not prove a significant upgrade
-Less access to high damage AOE and ranged
-Less access to blocks, invulnerabilities and evades
-No or very few completely uncounterable mechanics.

But of course that is just an advice, strongly influenced by my own perspective and my own thoughts about the game and far from observant.

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

You are both wrong, overbuffing and overnerfing wil never balance anything

The aim of any class rework should be :

-Make all classes fun to play and fight against

-Make sure that each class will give different rewards based on the skill level of the user, the better and more experience you are, the better the results ( not like now where you have very easy to use builds with vast rewards and other whose reward is non existent no matter how you play)

Powercreeping/Nerfing to oblivion won’t change anything, what it’s 10 now, will be the same whether you reduce it to 8 or increased to 15, the difference between professions would not change if you simply tweak numbers considering your personal bias

For the record every person that try to propose these class rework always end up cutting ele healing by 50%+ and add few sprinkles of dmg there and there, on skills whose main problem are the obvious animation are extremely long CD, and ofc anybody who make these suggestions never take in consideration the relations between professions.

I mean nobody of you can imagine how each profession can interact with each other one, given its kitten nal and in a given situation….it takes more than a simple wish list to become a renewed game designer

(edited by Supreme.3164)

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Anari.2137

Im working on stuff like this too, and what Ive found out is that it is almost impossible to do only one class at a time.
You have to work on the entire picture, balance everything respectively and in comparison to other classes mechanics.
One thing I can definetly recommend you to do is: try to create builds. Several/class.
You will have to do tons of math for that, but it is the only way you can make sure, your balance patch is better than anets. Ive the final goal to include 36 viable builds, but of course you will have to exponentially do more work the more builds you have to compare.

From my first look at your guard it looked like incredible powercreep(will add detailed feedback over there). If thats the intention of your balance: ok, but dont expect to see much love for it.
From the current state of the game it should be your goal to make each and every profession weaker than it currently is, exept for warrior maybe.
Best ways to accomplish that:
-Less access to boons
-Less access to hard CC
-Elite specs should not prove a significant upgrade
-Less access to high damage AOE and ranged
-Less access to blocks, invulnerabilities and evades
-No or very few completely uncounterable mechanics.

But of course that is just an advice, strongly influenced by my own perspective and my own thoughts about the game and far from observant.

Actually its a lot of changing, but im doing a few key things

1 In general all trinkets (abilities 6,7,8,9) are getting more up time.
2 Guardian melee specs are under powered significantly, especially healing ones that require you you build healing, but still have to be survival. My initial thought was to create range attacks for the mace, but i negated from that because of the point because it would just make it another version of the druid. I have recently updated the text to change the third ability on basic mage to heal 900 range, it requires no attack just a straight fast cast heal. This will make that more dependable and give more livability to the healing concept.
3The buffs to toughness etc, was to help melee based builds which get nuked to fast. I can tell you even with a bunker build at 4300 toughness, i am by no means not squishy. (largely due to conditions hence the cleanse buff).
4 for all class reworks i will be looking at improving the stability to condition cleanse, making it a more active version of passive cleanse, as well as more stable passive cleanse. my thought is that passive should follow 2 cleanses every 5 seconds, and actives should cleanse more like full cleanse every 15-30.
5I buffed the condition based fire aspects of guardian, giving it a very unique fire/burn role in meta. It got slight buffs in most cases, but all around we should see about 22-23% more damage out of it. (Which will buff it to around 400-500k a game)
6Hammer, and great swords got some serious buffs, lots more stability, and significant increases to damage. I have also buffer swords to be a good pair for defensive aspects with it. Thus the general logic of builds should be 2hander + torch/scepter (condit) or sword/shield (Power).
7 Lastly i gave healing a slight buff to help it be more competitive to the other support specs, to offer a third option for support combinations to help new meta’s.

I do not agree with removing boons accessibility. I think they should be consolidated into 1 buff however, and have significantly more uptime, but these is a core mechanic rework which i will not include here. For the most part, i want to see classes that are tank oriented, but their soul objective is boon application. I especially hope guardian will be good for this (as i have a build now that i apply 15,000-20,000 boons a game).

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Anari.2137

-Make sure that each class will give different rewards based on the skill level of the user, the better and more experience you are, the better the results ( not like now where you have very easy to use builds with vast rewards and other whose reward is non existent no matter how you play)

Powercreeping/Nerfing to oblivion won’t change anything, what it’s 10 now, will be the same whether you reduce it to 8 or increased to 15, the difference between professions would not change if you simply tweak numbers considering your personal bias

For the record every person that try to propose these class rework always end up cutting ele healing by 50%+ and add few sprinkles of dmg there and there, on skills whose main problem are the obvious animation are extremely long CD, and ofc anybody who make these suggestions never take in consideration the relations between professions.

I mean nobody of you can imagine how each profession can interact with each other one, given its kitten nal and in a given situation….it takes more than a simple wish list to become a renewed game designer

I really want to slap you for a comment you made in this. First i have been doing this for over 5 years now. I know what i am doing. There is intent behind my suggestions, to raise everything to a competitive equal play with out really nerfing crap to much.

Nerfing something from a 10 to an 8 does change the situation, because op is not always op. Op is only op if its a 10, and not an 8. Its all subjective to its value verse the other options.

my balance philosophy works like this

- Every build is fairly good at what it does, but it does not mean that it is not competitive with other guilds. For example, a melee healer can be the best melee healer, but it may not be the best healer.
- Keep everything in a smaller range (say 4-6 on the scale, as opposed to some 2’s with 10s).To much power creep breaks the game (and is breaking it)
- Try to make everything unique.

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

You may have been doing this for 5 years but I still don’t see any resemblance of proper balance, at a first glance with your guardian proposed changes I immediately notice two things:

Increase in instant activation skills
An increase in lower CD skill

Both these factors only contribute to an even less skillful game because people are far less concerned about their own mistakes and the enemy capability to predict their actions ( hallo dragon hunter-reaper etc etc)

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Anari.2137

You may have been doing this for 5 years but I still don’t see any resemblance of proper balance, at a first glance with your guardian proposed changes I immediately notice two things:

Increase in instant activation skills
An increase in lower CD skill

Both these factors only contribute to an even less skillful game because people are far less concerned about their own mistakes and the enemy capability to predict their actions ( hallo dragon hunter-reaper etc etc)

First of all,

If you owned a business, and someone came in and told you you had to ignore the complains and desires of 85% of your customers, what would be your reply?

Next,

I am not trying to make guardian over powered. The entire class system is massively out of wack, and needs a stat squish.

There is so much to involved in this i don’t know where to start with someone who (presumably) is not a developer; In fact this is why guild wars 2 is failing because the development team seems to be taking feedback from players, and not working out the problems.

Next in regards to my changes,

• 1 Long casting times is not viable in this very fast game play. This is why i removed or reduced a lot of casting times.
  • 2 To off set the power that was assigned to these long cool down, powerful effects i reduced their power, and their cool down (for more up time).
  • 3 Large amounts of the options are not mechanically a viable option
  • 4 In regards to traits (talent spec bonus’s) a lot of them seem to be really useless, so i put them more into line with a specific address. When we spec in the game we build for condition, or power. It’s really not in our mentality (out side of damage/heal) to do power/condition for example. Most of the time we are being efficient and trying to maximize our damage ratio and get the most out of stacking for big numbers (its a psychology issue). As such i moved talent specs into options. This means, there is 3 talents in each talent spec in each collumn, and i built it so that each one had 3 different variations of focus. For example, Talent row 1, Option 1 = healing, Option 2 = damage, Option 3= Defense. This will make hybrid specs more viable and will help to encourage new meta builds.
  • 5 Lastly, I wanted to help make some build options more viable, like melee aspects. So far because of all the cleave, condition damage, Cc and so forth melee is having a really hard time. I actually believe a lot of this has to do with the speed of the game but i am cautious to play with these aspects as much as i am to provide more healing and support against cc to make melee viable. for this reason i added more stability, and more health options as well as some more damage to really help encourage those builds.

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

Looking at your guardian changes, you clearly have never played GW2 PvP at a competitive level. Nor do you have any depth of understanding of its mechanics. I suggest you stop with your current effort and learn to play the game first.

Let’s look at some of your guardian changes:

• Smite Condi to 10sec CD with 3 conditions removed. This screams power creep. Condition clear is supposed to be limited, rewarding judicious use. The current meta is problematic because a few builds can crap out conditions continually. Nerf that instead
  • Wall of Reflection with a 20sec CD. This is just LOL. So you want to push ranged projectile weapons completely out of PvP?
  • Sanctuary at 35sec CD which offers complete protection. This is just laughable. ANet nerfed Well of Precognition to the ground after last season for doing less.

Asrat.2645 had a good list of general rules in his first reply.

Oh, and I’ll re-iterate. This is not WoW. Stop trying to make it more like WoW.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

you touch ranger and the ranger community will gut you for garters ranger is in a good postion right now it functions well enough even without druid , you don’t need a druid trait line to use a CC+_healing ranger role (healing spring does great if you trait for it)

all this condi hate ect ect is all comming from bad players that are still under the notion of the old meta where Very little support is enough to get by.

you need to focus on under effective Traits and skills rather than buffing ect or nurfing weak or strong ones.

and by under effective i mean skills like Hallowed ground(this skill has no play its a large cooldown and the effect does very little its so weak infact it should just be Deleted or reworked) ect those type of skills .

(edited by Zenos Osgorma.2936)

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Anari.2137

Looking at your guardian changes, you clearly have never played GW2 PvP at a competitive level. Nor do you have any depth of understanding of its mechanics. I suggest you stop with your current effort and learn to play the game first.

Let’s look at some of your guardian changes:

• Smite Condi to 10sec CD with 3 conditions removed. This screams power creep. Condition clear is supposed to be limited, rewarding judicious use. The current meta is problematic because a few builds can crap out conditions continually. Nerf that instead
  • Wall of Reflection with a 20sec CD. This is just LOL. So you want to push ranged projectile weapons completely out of PvP?
  • Sanctuary at 35sec CD which offers complete protection. This is just laughable. ANet nerfed Well of Precognition to the ground after last season for doing less.

Asrat.2645 had a good list of general rules in his first reply.

Oh, and I’ll re-iterate. This is not WoW. Stop trying to make it more like WoW.

I do not believe conditions should be freely unchecked like they are, so part of my design philosophy is to put strong passive, and active counters to it in.

if you want to talk about op, lets start by addressing how necro is doing almost double or tripple (if not more) of almost every other class (saver 1-2 builds like DH trap spam)

More condition cleansing will lower the damage output, and provide more of a challenge to condition based damage users which will put their damage in check, but still allow them to be a threat.

You tell me to learn to play, but you dont even know that said classes have pierce effects that can go through said blocks, right?

The Sanctuary provides a negative aspect to it, you cannot deal damage or negative effects from inside. It is purely an escape mechanic, or a support mechanic (for resurrections Which might i add can still be pierced by special talents.).

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Exedore.6320

Conditions are too plentiful currently because of power creep which needs to be reigned in. You’re adding more power creep to counter power creep. That’s what made WoW PvP suck.

Instead, start by removing power creep from necro:

• Heavy nerf to Deathly Chill
  • Remove boon corrupt on scepter auto-attack

You know, things most GW2 players have been saying since before season2 started…

I’m well aware of effects with unblockable. Most are control effects or area effects. There’s been power creep into damaging effects as well. But what does that have to do with anything – especially because your version of Sanctuary granted immunity.

Did you even read about season1? Bunker mesmer didn’t care if it won. It just sat on a node being un-killable. No one could cap any node. That’s what your sanctuary change is doing. If you counter saying “well it prevents contesting the point” then let me point you at Search and Rescue, which is a problem currently with less power and a longer cooldown.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Posted by: Varezenem.2813

Varezenem.2813

You tell me to learn to play, but you dont even know that said classes have pierce effects that can go through said blocks, right?

Pierce doesn’t go through block it’s actually stopped by it. DH has 3 on LB that is unblockable, warrior has signet of might, ranger has nothing.

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Posted by: Anapxist.5314

Anapxist.5314

Sorry mate, but thats why you need to learn to play and stop write your rework stuff. You trying make balance, while you have no clue about game basic’s. And you not alone sadly. Ppl have no clue about conditions mechanic, about retaliation meachanic, about other classes mechanic and skills, some ppl dont even know how to rebind they skill keys, and maybe even use skills with mouse cursor. But they all here, in this forum to blame team, balance, game, evil gods…

Friendly advice. Spend your time on guild wars wiki and pvp practice instead writing useless stuff. And you will start progress in divisions, you will stat kill necros and other “immortal” classes, and u will smile when you will read your own class rework after that

All goods to you

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Anari.2137

Pierce doesn’t go through block it’s actually stopped by it. DH has 3 on LB that is unblockable, warrior has signet of might, ranger has nothing.

Data on Wiki Does not agree with this.

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Varezenem.2813

“Piercing is a line area of effect property of some projectile attacks that allows them to hit multiple enemies in their path within the maximum range instead of stopping at the first enemy the projectile hits”

Not sure where you are looking at.
As a matter of fact I know that reflect, projectile destruction and blocks interrupt piercing projectiles since True Shot is a piercing projectile and I do block it with Magnetic aura, Protective Solace and Shield of Courage frequently.

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Anari.2137

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Varezenem.2813

Unblockable and piercing are different effects also unblockable effects are not so common for projectiles.

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

I really want to slap you for a comment you made in this. First i have been doing this for over 5 years now. I know what i am doing. There is intent behind my suggestions, to raise everything to a competitive equal play with out really nerfing crap to much.

Nerfing something from a 10 to an 8 does change the situation, because op is not always op. Op is only op if its a 10, and not an 8. Its all subjective to its value verse the other options.

I disagree here.

I’ll use Guardian as an example, Guardian can beat every class except Druid, Rev, Engi. You can’t simply upgrade DH to a “10” to be on par with these 3 classes because DH will be way too OP for the other 6 classes.

You would literally have to main each class and understand why class A can’t beat class B then change that class mechanically… not necessarily the dmg numbers associated with them.

It’s why some of your changes doesn’t make sense… you’re thinking too linearly and making the DH power creep explode.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Exedore.6320

Search of the page shows no mention of “pierce” or “piercing”. Last edit date of the wiki page was in 2015.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Anari.2137

I disagree here.

I’ll use Guardian as an example, Guardian can beat every class except Druid, Rev, Engi. You can’t simply upgrade DH to a “10” to be on par with these 3 classes because DH will be way too OP for the other 6 classes.

You would literally have to main each class and understand why class A can’t beat class B then change that class mechanically… not necessarily the dmg numbers associated with them.

It’s why some of your changes doesn’t make sense… you’re thinking too linearly and making the DH power creep explode.

Part of my suggestions for DH and ranger is to prevent trap stacking. I think they should be more about stategic placement, as opposed to “trap stacking”. I advocate for a core mechanic change to prevent these effects, or at the very least make people spread them out (with out the circles crossing each other). However, i would look at changing the purpose people use them for to something like “long term slow/stun” “major healing reductions” or so forth.

The reason for this is because if you put a trap in the door way on the keep map, you will get a huge time advantage for the opening cap, or slow down enemies in a way that you have time to get to the node. These sorts of aspects empower traps to be incredibly powerful in their strategy value, but not in their battle oriented value.

This is opposite of what it currently is.

Additionally,

Numbers come down into an aspect of conditions. These conditions (design logic) i have is as follows

- Survival Rates Should be as follows
1 Glass Cannon : 15-20 Seconds
2 Range/Caster: 20-25 Seconds
3 General Melee: 25-30 Seconds
4 General Tanks: 35-40 Seconds.

- Damage Types in game should follow logic as follows
1 Continuous condition Application: The most consistent damage type over Longer Duration [None Burning/Torment]
1 Does not exceed the Target Time frames of live expectancy
2 Generally is used as a form Main source of damage.

2 Non-continuous Condition application: High Condition damage over short duration [ Burning/Torment]
2 Generally is used as a form High Pressure Damage Support Damage to secure a Kill.

3 Alpha Strike (aka burst) – Highest Damage over Shortest Duration’s.
2 Generally is used as a form of execute for the last 30% HP.

When we look at DH Trapping, and a few other things we see that condition 3 violates the survival rate aspect. This tells us that the trap stacking effect is breaking the game. Now we have two options:

1. Nerf the damage
2. Change the mechanic

If we nerf the damage the DH spec will become largely invalidated (because he relies on trapping massively as part of the core build concept)

If we change the mechanic, we may be able to provide a much more impact and new aspect for the dh, which is strategic trapping. These sorts of things will be very powerful in the hands of the more skilled players, but will just be a slight damage source for the less tactically inclined.

This means that the pro players will have better application and use for the class; largely due to timing a good stun, slowing enemies down, preventing boss steals, etc.

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

How much experience have you had with this game? I mean, the effects of piercing has been common knowledge forever now.

Really confusing when you claim to know what you are talking about and reference your experience as a developer, and then propose absurd balance changes and make blantantly false comments such as the effects of piercing.

I’m all for class reworks, but things like saying condi application is a problem, and then proposing an increase in cleanses instead of, you know, just toning down condi application……just really hard to take anything you say here seriously.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Anari.2137

How much experience have you had with this game? I mean, the effects of piercing has been common knowledge forever now.

Really confusing when you claim to know what you are talking about and reference your experience as a developer, and then propose absurd balance changes and make blantantly false comments such as the effects of piercing.

I’m all for class reworks, but things like saying condi application is a problem, and then proposing an increase in cleanses instead of, you know, just toning down condi application……just really hard to take anything you say here seriously.

You Misunderstand my positions i recommend more thought, and questioning if you dont understand it.

Condition application is not a problem because its applied, its a problem because there is no dependable counter to it. for me play and counter play are foundational concepts, if you dont have one you should not have the other. Thus i did not say (or mean) conditions are a problem, 1 cleanse every 10 seconds is.

Necro does twice the damage of other classes because of power/codition combination amulets, which is why i suggested that there should only be 1 stay on amulets, not 2-3.

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Posted by: Salamander.2504

Salamander.2504

Necro does twice the damage of other classes because of power/codition combination amulets, which is why i suggested that there should only be 1 stay on amulets, not 2-3.

Have you even played necro or bothered to check the post-match combat log? It does not due twice the damage.

Can you post your gw2 efficiency data? I’m interested in just how many matches you’ve played, because it’s getting really hard to see where you’re coming from.

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

OP:

Nice try but I disagree with both of your classes so far. I want to see nerfs to elite specs are part of a balance. That’s the biggest problem with the game right now.

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Anari.2137

OP:

Nice try but I disagree with both of your classes so far. I want to see nerfs to elite specs are part of a balance. That’s the biggest problem with the game right now.

No, That is an insane amount of work it wont happen (its almost a gaurentee not to).

Your talking about reworked every math value in the expansion, from gear to mobs, to bosses to damage, and so on. You might as well forget that position.

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

OP:

No, That is an insane amount of work it wont happen (its almost a gaurentee not to).

Your talking about reworked every math value in the expansion, from gear to mobs, to bosses to damage, and so on. You might as well forget that position.

You are confusing the elite specs with everything else that came with HoT. It’s not that hard to nerf a traitline to make it equal to the other traitlines that a class can use.

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Varezenem.2813

OP:

You are confusing the elite specs with everything else that came with HoT. It’s not that hard to nerf a traitline to make it equal to the other traitlines that a class can use.

In this case he is actually right. To do this they would have to nerf raids/HoT maps to keep the difficulty the same.
Unless you mean that they should nerf the specs and buff the base prof just about right to keep the power level….

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Shaogin.2679

You Misunderstand my positions i recommend more thought, and questioning if you dont understand it.

Condition application is not a problem because its applied, its a problem because there is no dependable counter to it. for me play and counter play are foundational concepts, if you dont have one you should not have the other. Thus i did not say (or mean) conditions are a problem, 1 cleanse every 10 seconds is.

I can see your point there as well, but the answer isn’t to just toss out cleanses like candy. That just promotes mindless condi cleanse spamming. And sorry, but Necro does not achieve twice the damage, that is a gross exaggeration. And responding to people with personal insults is hardly an appropriate response from someone trying to take a professional approach at this, and is also against forum rules here buddy. Your proposed changes so far have been over the top and only create more imbalances. With every post it becomes more apparent you do not have a proper understanding of this game. Maybe just stick to WoW? You seem to enjoy that. ^.^

Gate of Madness

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Exedore.6320

OP:

If it’s not done, the game will be a skeleton before the next expansion. Nothing is challenging because HoT elites are faceroll simple to play. So much so that someone playing a HoT spec poorly will still outperform a well-played core build.

Player skill has to matter. In order to accomplish that, HoT specs must be nerfed heavily. If that requires re-balancing raids a bit, so be it. The HoT zones will be fine without changes even if HoT specs are nerfed.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Posted by: Anapxist.5314

Anapxist.5314

Just add topic starter to friend in game with accaunt tag, and you will see he have 1300 a.p. Yes pvp only players didn’t have much a.p. in general, but 1300. Really. And if you search for his post’s in forum you will see he start them about month ago. If we add here poor game mechanic understanding and his wrong class rework suggestions we can have a result. He is new player, maybe 2 month in this game End of story

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Posted by: Salamander.2504

Salamander.2504

OP:

If it’s not done, the game will be a skeleton before the next expansion. Nothing is challenging because HoT elites are faceroll simple to play. So much so that someone playing a HoT spec poorly will still outperform a well-played core build.

Player skill has to matter. In order to accomplish that, HoT specs must be nerfed heavily. If that requires re-balancing raids a bit, so be it. The HoT zones will be fine without changes even if HoT specs are nerfed.

+1000

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

I am not trying to make guardian over powered. The entire class system is massively out of wack, and needs a stat squish.

It really isn’t, I think you’re just reacting to the fact that it’s not done your way.

My observations:

Each class has the following
-A core aesthetic
-A mechanic that is emphasized more on the class than on others. For Guardians it’s blocks and burning. For Theives it’s mobility. For Necros it’s Fear and Corrupts, etc.

Digging into the specializations. Each class’s spec’s follow this pattern
1 defensive spec
1 power damage spec
1 condi damage spec
1 support/utility spec
1 class mechanic spec.
+elite
Elite specs emphasize one of the above categories. For almost all classes the category emphasized is whichever the class was the weakest at.
For instance core guardian’s power builds are generally inferior to core condi or support guardian builds, and guardian lacked good ranged options. So Anet made DH a ranged power spec.
Core ranger had inferior support compared to other categories, so it got the healing focused Druid.
Core Mesmer lacks good defense and support, so it gained the defense and support focused Chronomancer.
etc etc.

I could go dig further and find even more and more patterns, but that’s beside the point.

The system isn’t flawed, the gameplay and balance issues stem from a few specific errors with how potent/synergistic some traits are with others.
Reaper is one example of such flaws. Looking at Reaper the traitline was clearly intended to be a power and utility traitline. The only condi trait in the entire reaper traitline is Deathly Chill (without DC chill is considered a utility effect) However Deathly Chill synergizes way to well with the core condi traits and weapons.

The only real issue with the system is the fact that Guild Wars 2’s combat system was never designed to accommodate expansions. The core classes where fully fleshed out to the point that any addition would invariably result in unbalance.
Unfortunately it’s a unspoken requirement for mmorpg expansions to include new abilities for class.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

(edited by Crinn.7864)

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Posted by: Lettuce.2945

Lettuce.2945

This is what happens when a player with minimal knowledge of the game if you can even call it that with only 1300 AP and just recently started the game….tries to balance? Good try but abandon the concept of trying to balance. Go learn the game first. “This is to prevent ranger and guardian trap stacking”? What? Trap ranger isn’t even meta right now. It’s one of the most unviable ranger builds right now. Why are you even discussing this? Don’t even mention pve. You’re posting on pvp forums.

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Posted by: Electra.7530

Electra.7530

Why do we always have people telling the devs how to build the characters, rework them, rebalance them or nerf them?

IT MAKES ME SO MAD.

They do a great job. I cringe enough as it is thinking about the possibility they will wreck my characters any more than they already have.

My power MESMER IS USELESS NOW after I put all that time and effort into her ascended gear and weapons. I don’t know what to do with her now. I can’t even work with her effectively in pve let alone pvp.

STOP NERFING AND STOP TELLING DEVS TO REBALANCE OR NERF OR REWORK CLASSES.

end rant. (I’ll feel better after a cookie.)

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Posted by: Asrat.2645

Asrat.2645

‘They do a great job’
‘They one of my favourite builds unplayable’
Makes perfect sense.
Why would we stop? Ofc noone is actually expecting to ever see proposed changes on the live servers, but this work we do is an important feedback.
How do you want to develop a game if your players just quietly accept every change you make and never tell you if they liked it or not. The forums are here for a reason.
If you wish something would become part of the game or you are unhappy you share those feelings with people who can make it happen.
And if you reason well enough, provide math, evidence, if other support you idea and back you up, if you present it in a convincing way, it eventually happens.
You have to see this as a source of inspiration.
(Thankfully) No dev will ever add ‘permanet protection’ to the guardian class (even tho they indirectly did it for revs) but the idea behind it: that melee guards lack sustain and should be able to stay in combat for longer might catch on and lead to another, better solution of the problem.

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Posted by: megilandil.7506

megilandil.7506

Why do we always have people telling the devs how to build the characters, rework them, rebalance them or nerf them?

IT MAKES ME SO MAD.

They do a great job. I cringe enough as it is thinking about the possibility they will wreck my characters any more than they already have.

My power MESMER IS USELESS NOW after I put all that time and effort into her ascended gear and weapons. I don’t know what to do with her now. I can’t even work with her effectively in pve let alone pvp.

STOP NERFING AND STOP TELLING DEVS TO REBALANCE OR NERF OR REWORK CLASSES.

end rant. (I’ll feel better after a cookie.)

this is PVP oriented forum, and all the proposers asume that anet have to take soon the skill split pve/pvp.
pvp equilibrium needs a continuos tweek(for that reason pvp equipmen is free :-) ) if you tweek down an hability other can be op and if you tweek up and hability other can run useless in an enless spiral

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Anari.2137

‘They do a great job’
‘They one of my favourite builds unplayable’
Makes perfect sense.
Why would we stop? Ofc noone is actually expecting to ever see proposed changes on the live servers, but this work we do is an important feedback.
How do you want to develop a game if your players just quietly accept every change you make and never tell you if they liked it or not. The forums are here for a reason.
If you wish something would become part of the game or you are unhappy you share those feelings with people who can make it happen.
And if you reason well enough, provide math, evidence, if other support you idea and back you up, if you present it in a convincing way, it eventually happens.
You have to see this as a source of inspiration.
(Thankfully) No dev will ever add ‘permanet protection’ to the guardian class (even tho they indirectly did it for revs) but the idea behind it: that melee guards lack sustain and should be able to stay in combat for longer might catch on and lead to another, better solution of the problem.

Yes They would, They’ve done it to many classes.
Example, Ranger’s “when struck gain protection”.

The entire statement in that is unfounded (unless you lead the dev team or the balance for gw2).

The game wont get fixed, I’m calling it because the players are the one telling the devs how to fix it, instead of them doing their job (or the ceo hiring someone that actually knows what they are doing).

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Electra.7530

Every single game I play, the player base is telling the devs how to “fix” or “balance” chars and what needs nerf. And … it is always intimated they aren’t doing their jobs. Every game I play, the devs won’t fix anything because they aren’t “doing their jobs.” Did it occur to someone that maybe they DON’T NEED FIXING and it’s just players complaining about skills or mechanics they aren’t able to understand or handle well?

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Shaogin.2679

@ Anari
If you’d been around long enough you’d know that the players have offered many great suggestions in the past, most of which never make it in game. Some good suggestions have of course, and some bad suggestions have as well. But the majority of what has made it into the game has not been what the players asked for. They have been decisions made by Anet. Some good, some bad of course. But to say they are just doing whatever players suggest instead of doing their job is just plain incorrect.

But of course, you wouldn’t know that cause again, you haven’t been around that long and are clueless as to what has been going on here and even more clueless as to what changes need to be made to the game.

Gate of Madness

(edited by Shaogin.2679)

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Electra.7530

I’ve been around this game quite a while and many other games too. And I see the same whining in here (called suggestions) that I see from multiple player bases in other games. Coincidence?

But, I could make a suggestion about allowing a warrior to have a one shot kill type skill and nerf it nerf it nerf it! And, if they did, warrior would be even less attractive to play that apparently it is now.

So, I’d say beef up the warriors a bit. It’s as good a suggestion as any other player (busy telling me how clueless I am) and it might not make it into the game. So, why wouldn’t it make it into the game? It’s a good suggestion. Why not put in game?

Maybe they are doing something else for warrior even better or maybe not so good.

But, no, devs don’t do their jobs, do they? So, here we are, needing the player base to tell them how to build characters, how to nerf them to our satisfaction — well, not really. Balance will never be achieved because your perception of balance is different than mine. So, if I think the game is imbalanced and you don’t, what do the poor devs do — besides their jobs apparently?

Players aren’t equal. Characters will never be perceived balanced between the skill levels of players. Devs know this. They know this even better than I do. They know this and they develop characters of varying degrees of complexity for the challenge and enjoyment of a diverse player base. You can balanced characters, but you can never have “balance” between players. Players are not equal and never will be.

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Shaogin.2679

I’ve been around this game quite a while and many other games too. And I see the same whining in here (called suggestions) that I see from multiple player bases in other games. Coincidence?

But, I could make a suggestion about allowing a warrior to have a one shot kill type skill and nerf it nerf it nerf it! And, if they did, warrior would be even less attractive to play that apparently it is now.

So, I’d say beef up the warriors a bit. It’s as good a suggestion as any other player (busy telling me how clueless I am) and it might not make it into the game. So, why wouldn’t it make it into the game? It’s a good suggestion. Why not put in game?

Maybe they are doing something else for warrior even better or maybe not so good.

But, no, devs don’t do their jobs, do they? So, here we are, needing the player base to tell them how to build characters, how to nerf them to our satisfaction — well, not really. Balance will never be achieved because your perception of balance is different than mine. So, if I think the game is imbalanced and you don’t, what do the poor devs do — besides their jobs apparently?

Players aren’t equal. Characters will never be perceived balanced between the skill levels of players. Devs know this. They know this even better than I do. They know this and they develop characters of varying degrees of complexity for the challenge and enjoyment of a diverse player base. You can balanced characters, but you can never have “balance” between players. Players are not equal and never will be.

To clear things up in case you thought my post was in response to you, it wasn’t. I had to go back and specify that since your post went through as I was typing mine. Just to clear up any confusion there. ;-P

Gate of Madness

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Anari.2137

@ Anari
If you’d been around long enough you’d know that the players have offered many great suggestions in the past, most of which never make it in game. Some good suggestions have of course, and some bad suggestions have as well. But the majority of what has made it into the game has not been what the players asked for. They have been decisions made by Anet. Some good, some bad of course. But to say they are just doing whatever players suggest instead of doing their job is just plain incorrect.

But of course, you wouldn’t know that cause again, you haven’t been around that long and are clueless as to what has been going on here and even more clueless as to what changes need to be made to the game.

That’s funny because a mutli-legendary was just telling me that he and another person were directly involved in the balance choices of the game, In fact he stated very clearly
“the devs listen to this (player name) person for all the balance for the game and they pretty much do what he says”. Im not saying he is dong the balance himself, but im pretty sure that they are not doing all they can to fix the issues (if what gazzy says is true).

Additionally, If the devs were doing balance based on psychology and metrics like they should be, then we would not be seeing massive amounts of instabilities like this, especially if anet has their own “amazing Specialist team” full of statistics majors etc working on it.

What i learn from this is most likely 1-2 people are doing the balance on this game, likely with some decent level of math background. It’s been the norm in the past, because the specialist needed to make a game well balanced are not cheap (if you get a good one anyways) so i’m willing to bet john the coder back in the content box is not only making pretty dungeons with flowers, but is also running numbers for the balance based on what gazzy, john or who ever says.

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Anari.2137

Lets make something clear,

A Developer who is creating content like new dungeons, pvp maps, models for new bosses, etc are not equal to people that have climbed the ladder and become lead developers/designers.

You can bring me 100 developers from this industry, or even 1000 of them and i will prove the majority of them wrong in their positions, because the majority of them do not go out of their way to study games, their design aspects and so forth.

They work from week to week creating planets, models, dungeons, etc. While this does give you some insight on that process and maybe a few issues that will arise in the aspects of the system(s) design of the game, it does not make them an expert in the system(s) design of the game(s) they work on.

To put it in a more clear way,

A person understanding how to put a dungeon in a game, is not equal to a person who understand why the dungeon needs to be no longer then 26 minutes. People who spend time on controlling these aspects and directly the way the game is progressing is in no way equal in their knowledge to a developer working on dungeons, just as the one working on dungeons is not equal to them.

When you understand these aspects you will understand why i make the statement “the developers are not doing anything”, its not ment in the context of “sitting around” its ment in the content of making progress.

Their core positions seem to be non-existent, or very very illy founded. You say you concept of balance is different; Ok I get it.

So as a designer of a game (Literally, I designed a game) And someone who has spent 5 years studying AAA, and Indy games and their systems. I’m Asking you

“what is balance to you?”
“What balance system are you using”?

Because in my knowledge of this industry, it seems to be a really warped version of cyclical balance with forced spec game play (almost PRS But with the “flavor or the season” Built in). And like i said, “do it all” and “Play the flavor or suck” is hypocritical and detrimental for the game.

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Shaogin.2679

@ Anari

That’s funny because a mutli-legendary was just telling me that he and another person were directly involved in the balance choices of the game, In fact he stated very clearly
“the devs listen to this (player name) person for all the balance for the game and they pretty much do what he says”. Im not saying he is dong the balance himself, but im pretty sure that they are not doing all they can to fix the issues (if what gazzy says is true).

Additionally, If the devs were doing balance based on psychology and metrics like they should be, then we would not be seeing massive amounts of instabilities like this, especially if anet has their own “amazing Specialist team” full of statistics majors etc working on it.

What i learn from this is most likely 1-2 people are doing the balance on this game, likely with some decent level of math background. It’s been the norm in the past, because the specialist needed to make a game well balanced are not cheap (if you get a good one anyways) so i’m willing to bet john the coder back in the content box is not only making pretty dungeons with flowers, but is also running numbers for the balance based on what gazzy, john or who ever says.

So you are basing your statements off of assumptions and what a couple of guys told you vs what has actually happened over the past few years in the game……….

Seems like sound logic to me. Can’t possibly argue with those facts there.

Lmao, I love you man. I sincerely do. ^.^

Gate of Madness

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Anari.2137

@ Anari

So you are basing your statements off of assumptions and what a couple of guys told you vs what has actually happened over the past few years in the game……….

Seems like sound logic to me. Can’t possibly argue with those facts there.

Lmao, I love you man. I sincerely do. ^.^

They are not assumptions.

This person had direct interaction with the developer with the other person involved in helping make the changes. So either he is a liar, or you are ignorant of it.

As i have stated, I have no reason to doubt him, he seemed to really only be interested in being the best (ie ranked high in pvp).

Even if this is (true or) false, it does not matter. What does is that the game is clearly against stated design concept like “do it all”, which should of never been stated anyways. It needs a PR clean up of “were changing from this position to help stability in the game”.

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Crinn.7864

Oh please, saying “oh such and such player/guild has the devs in their pocket” is something that people say in practically every game. Here it’s the proleague players people accuse, when I played SW:TOR it was <Zorz> that everyone accused of being in cohorts with the devs.

The fact of the matter is devs interact with members of the playerbase from time to time, and salty players often like to use such interactions as ammunition for their conspiracy theories.

Believing the devs are blindly following what some players says is silly.

YouTube

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Anari.2137

Oh please, saying “oh such and such player/guild has the devs in their pocket” is something that people say in practically every game. Here it’s the proleague players people accuse, when I played SW:TOR it was <Zorz> that everyone accused of being in cohorts with the devs.

The fact of the matter is devs interact with members of the playerbase from time to time, and salty players often like to use such interactions as ammunition for their conspiracy theories.

Believing the devs are blindly following what some players says is silly.

You obviously have never done NDA level of testing or have not had any involvement in early stages (alpha, and pre-alpha) of development. I know with Certainly that one of my former employers explicitly did this with super testers.

Im not going to go around believe the world is full of liars (Ie everyone does it for no reason) In fact most of the time lying is done to get out of trouble. Thus, i really have no reason to doubt that Gazzy is lying about this until he proves himself a liar, or until the developers prove it to be false (or claim it is, in which i will request evidence from both sides to distinguish who is not telling the truth).

It’s not a conspiracy from some random player. It is one of the most well known players in the game (who i understand is widely hated, but very good at pvp) who has played since launch. I think he has some credibility to his statements.

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Crinn.7864

You obviously have never done NDA level of testing or have not had any involvement in early stages (alpha, and pre-alpha) of development. I know with Certainly that one of my former employers explicitly did this with super testers.

Taking feedback from testers particularly testers that have been vetted to the level that internal testers are is a whole different ballgame.

There is also a very large gap between “taking feedback from” and “only listening to.” Also believe it or not players occasionally come up with decent workable ideas that don’t conflict with design goals.

Im not going to go around believe the world is full of liars (Ie everyone does it for no reason) In fact most of the time lying is done to get out of trouble. Thus, i really have no reason to doubt that Gazzy is lying about this until he proves himself a liar, or until the developers prove it to be false (or claim it is, in which i will request evidence from both sides to distinguish who is not telling the truth).

There is a difference between a liar and someone who is just wrong.
You can go over to the revenant forums and find players that believe Anet is out to screw revenants over. Obviously that’s incorrect, but that doesn’t mean those players are liars, it just means those players are really jaded and have adopted irrational and incorrect viewpoints.

It’s not a conspiracy from some random player. It is one of the most well known players in the game (who i understand is widely hated, but very good at pvp) who has played since launch. I think he has some credibility to his statements.

If he is popular as you say he is chances are the devs interact with him as a PR stunt, much in the same way devs might occasionally grace some random streamer or podcast with their presence.
Heck I’m willing to bet the devs he interacts with are actually the marketing team.

And dude you’re being extremely hypocritical. The entire point of this thread of yours is to convince the devs to see your side of things, yet you’re bashing the devs for potentially listening to other players.

YouTube

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Anari.2137

Taking feedback from testers particularly testers that have been vetted to the level that internal testers are is a whole different ballgame.

There is also a very large gap between “taking feedback from” and “only listening to.” Also believe it or not players occasionally come up with decent workable ideas that don’t conflict with design goals.

There is a difference between a liar and someone who is just wrong.
You can go over to the revenant forums and find players that believe Anet is out to screw revenants over. Obviously that’s incorrect, but that doesn’t mean those players are liars, it just means those players are really jaded and have adopted irrational and incorrect viewpoints.

If he is popular as you say he is chances are the devs interact with him as a PR stunt, much in the same way devs might occasionally grace some random streamer or podcast with their presence.
Heck I’m willing to bet the devs he interacts with are actually the marketing team.

And dude you’re being extremely hypocritical. The entire point of this thread of yours is to convince the devs to see your side of things, yet you’re bashing the devs for potentially listening to other players.

No, its not being hypocritical, because i do not see myself as a player.

I have no objections to a heart surgeon talking to another one from another hospital about an operation. It’s not equal to taking advice or opinions from one of the people in the ER room because he stubbed his toe on the table.

Full Class Reworks

in PvP

Crinn.7864

No, its not being hypocritical, because i do not see myself as a player.

I have no objections to a heart surgeon talking to another one from another hospital about an operation. It’s not equal to taking advice or opinions from one of the people in the ER room because he stubbed his toe on the table.

You are a player, your employment elsewhere has no power here. You think you are right? Then make your case in a rational and reasoned way. Throwing your resume around means little particularly when discussing a industry that values talent above all.

Yes Developers do see and experience games differently than a general player. Devs tend to not just focus on if a game gives them a good experience, but on why a game gives them the experience that it does and what elements are employed to do so. A dev tries to understand why another developer did what they did.

But I don’t see any of that in your posts. You make no attempt to understand why things are done the way they are, you’ve simply barged in with your agenda. Heck you’ve already demonstrated a brazen ignorance on how some mechanics work

How can you expect ArenaNet to take your suggestions seriously if you don’t take their work seriously?

YouTube