GW2 is not Just a Team Game. Dueling Next?

in PvP

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

Finally with the latest patch where players have to get into arenas solo with bosses Anet has acknowledged that team play is not the be all and end all of competitive play. Going solo and relying entirely on your own skills definitely has a place. Just look at the amount of experimentation and new builds that are coming out to beat Liadri.

Is this a prelude to dueling in the mists? God I hope so!

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Solo q and team q are the same: People sync que into soloq, and noobs still solo que into team ques. Guess what they accomplished: Splitting the pvp crowd even MORE. I think its time to just ditch hotjoin and make a “Non competitive and a Competitive” que, or Solo Join/Team join and have a checkmark box as to whether you want it to count towards the leaderboards or not. We don’t need 3 of the same kitten thing with a low population.

THEN add 1v1 and 2v2 arenas. 1v1 because people like to do things alone sometimes. Every class has some build that works for 1v1 so it’d work just fine, again people could turn on or off leaderboards rating, it gives people a solo way to grind glory (I’d ply the hell out of it), and 2v2s would allow small group team fights.

That’s what this game needs. There are so many builds that stay in unviable area because its only good for “1v1” or “2v2” but it doesn’t have its place. Every class has these builds so let them play somewhere for goodness sake! And I personally KNOW 1v1 arena ques would be an absolute hit.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Sync que only gives a big advantage if voice comm is used. In my 60+ games I have yet to come accros syncers, unless they hide it. But even then, I’ve never felt that the other team had syncers.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: Ostricheggs.3742

Ostricheggs.3742

If the game remains a 5v5 conquest game then team play will always matter more than individual skill. I’ve seen it more so than maybe anyone else having been in a competitive team and having possibly the most solo tourney games than anyone else in GW2.

I wouldn’t count on dueling to make it in in the near future. If anything I would expect something like 3v3 conquest. It makes the most sense for future game modes. In the mean time I would just make due with dueling in duel servers if that’s your thing.

Also, the game is most definitely not a balanced 1v1 game. Quite the opposite I would say.

twitch.tv/ostricheggs MOTM/TOL 2/TOG NA/WTS Beijing winner. Message me for PvP Coaching
@$20 an hour! It’s worth it!

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

If the game remains a 5v5 conquest game then team play will always matter more than individual skill. I’ve seen it more so than maybe anyone else having been in a competitive team and having possibly the most solo tourney games than anyone else in GW2.

I wouldn’t count on dueling to make it in in the near future. If anything I would expect something like 3v3 conquest. It makes the most sense for future game modes. In the mean time I would just make due with dueling in duel servers if that’s your thing.

Also, the game is most definitely not a balanced 1v1 game. Quite the opposite I would say.

If you watch any NMCC games, there are more balanced/successful 1v1 builds (IN 1v1) than there are non 1v1 builds in tpvp…… In tpvp it’s basically necro/engi/spirit ranger and maybe burst ele or go home… That’s THE meta. In 1v1 All of these can stand a fighting chance:

Shaman Turret Engi
SD Engi
Spirit Ranger
BM Ranger
Trap Ranger
Tons of Thieves
Several Mesmers
MM Necro
Condi Necro
Burst Ele
0/0/10/30/30 ele.
Meditation Guardian
Condi Warrior
Stunemup Warrior
Mace+GS warrior

And I’ve seen every single one hold their own versus almost any of the others on this list. The hardest to deal with on this entire list is Mesmer in 1v1, but that comes down to understanding the Mesmer more than how OP the builds are (granted in 1v1 they can be a bit over the top). I’d venture to say 1v1 is more balanced than team pvp WHEN everyone is built FOR 1v1.

in PvP

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

Why dueling in structured pvp?

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

PvP is pvp, it doesn’t have to be called structured pvp… Structured PVP is Conquest. And regardless 1v1 and 2v2 is still structured, it’s just structured on a smaller basis. A build is a structure to over come obstacle, including the obstacle of being able to win 1v1 fights.

in PvP

Posted by: Lian Olsam.9541

Lian Olsam.9541

Solo q and team q are the same: People sync que into soloq, and noobs still solo que into team ques. Guess what they accomplished: Splitting the pvp crowd even MORE. I think its time to just ditch hotjoin and make a “Non competitive and a Competitive” que, or Solo Join/Team join and have a checkmark box as to whether you want it to count towards the leaderboards or not. We don’t need 3 of the same kitten thing with a low population.

THEN add 1v1 and 2v2 arenas. 1v1 because people like to do things alone sometimes. Every class has some build that works for 1v1 so it’d work just fine, again people could turn on or off leaderboards rating, it gives people a solo way to grind glory (I’d ply the hell out of it), and 2v2s would allow small group team fights.

That’s what this game needs. There are so many builds that stay in unviable area because its only good for “1v1” or “2v2” but it doesn’t have its place. Every class has these builds so let them play somewhere for goodness sake! And I personally KNOW 1v1 arena ques would be an absolute hit.

i hope that anet will listen our voices cause as i wrote in topic, i'm out with pvp cause i cant have team, and soloq its just hj and soloq leaderboard its only a list of lucky man, not good players... we need something competitive for solo player, and also like 2v2 all games have more of that i cant understand why gw2, dont have it... i really think thakittens the best game ever made, and anet team are briliant, but they have to do something asap for adding 1v1 and 2v2

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

I agree, it’d be so popular, not that hard to implement, I don’t see why it’s not a priority. They don’t even have to make new maps, just “cage” a part of current pvp maps for 1v1/2v2 such as the center of Foefire or the beach/middle of Niflhel. If they’re going to split the PVP community at all at least make it something different. We literally have 3 things that do the same thing. Its not needed…
IF they feel its necessary to weed out premades from the not premades that’s fine… I guess… But even that isn’t necessary. Banding together is PVP.

All that they needed was a check “Ranked” (whether or not your ques currently will effect leaderboards), Then let people go at it, that’s how WoW did it for years and guess what, the people got better, and the good players banded together. Simple. All hotjoin does is gives people an excuse to never learn anything.

Then add arenas (which are HUGELY popular by the way) and especially 1v1 would be innovative since there aren’t many games that have a proper and rewarding 1v1 system, that’s a selling point right there… The games 1v1 balance is GREAT save 1 or 2 builds, at least moreso than tpvp build balance, so I don’t understand why it should be a backburner item if anything at all. Sure, not everyone wants 1v1/2v2 but for those people saying that you don’t want it so why even add it? Because others do. Just because you don’t want it doesn’t mean they shouldn’t add it. 1v1/2v2 arenas would do MUCH more for this game than adding 10 more ways to play the same conquest pvp on the same maps (Hotjoin, soloque, team que) its all the same, and widely not unique to GW2.

in PvP

Posted by: Mbelch.9028

Mbelch.9028

I hope they add dueling everywhere… A dueling map in WvW, dueling options in PvE and dueling competitions and servers in SPvP. That’s a huge part of any game.

-Nex, [FEAR] Elementalist
https://www.youtube.com/user/GW2FearGaming

in PvP

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

I hope they add dueling everywhere… A dueling map in WvW, dueling options in PvE and dueling competitions and servers in SPvP. That’s a huge part of any game.

Uhh… Why can’t dueling just be an open WORLD option.

Why should people go to WvWvW to duel, that just disrupts and makes it where people who actually wanna support the World unable to get in.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in PvP

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Lol. DuelingQ. Expect great amounts of bunkers and troll builds designed to outlast everything and annoy the other player. Just no. I already see plenty of people speccing for bunker with high sustain and going to these duel servers. This lasts until the owner of the arena arrives and kicks them out. Now imagine in a Q system, with no admin putting an end to the fight.

Besides the game is 5v5 focused, dont expect 1v1 queue because it would be far more broken than our current meta.

Perhaps a casual right click option to duel a friend right in the heart of the mists or in the open world.

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Lol. DuelingQ. Expect great amounts of bunkers and troll builds designed to outlast everything and annoy the other player. Just no. I already see plenty of people speccing for bunker with high sustain and going to these duel servers. This lasts until the owner of the arena arrives and kicks them out. Now imagine in a Q system, with no admin putting an end to the fight.

Besides the game is 5v5 focused, dont expect 1v1 queue because it would be far more broken than our current meta.

Perhaps a casual right click option to duel a friend right in the heart of the mists or in the open world.

Sounds like a good case of: If you cant kill 1v1 builds then don’t do it… Clearly 1v1 is just not for you so why are you even commenting on it? Troll builds aren’t hard to handle with any solidly made build, and Arenas much like WoW(And Conquest matches) can have 5-10 minute timers and would be much smaller to make trolol run away builds less effective. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out how to handle this. Not to mention after 8-10 mins like in BloodlineChampions a sudden death can trigger that stacks an Agony buff that does % HP over time, someone is going to die. Believe it or not bunker builds aren’t that great in 1v1 and can very frequently be killed by a real 1v1 build. You’re not even trying to think of how easily it would be to get to work, you’re just assuming it can’t.

in PvP

Posted by: aaron.7850

aaron.7850

I dont understand why people complain when we suggest dueling to be introduced.

I dont like dungeons, but I dont complain about them, I know a lot of people are into it but I dont mind it.

I would love to be able to duel my friends outside of spvp. I dont like the mysts. I didnt invest hours and hours running TA to get my exotic armor only to not be able to use it in the mysts….

Please allow us to duel our friends anywhere, add a “block duel invites” with it too for the nay-sayers.

in PvP

Posted by: BurrTheKing.8571

BurrTheKing.8571

Dueling proves absolutely nothing because the game isn’t balanced for 1v1 engagements. Certain builds are elites are so broken in 1v1 beating someone with it isn’t impressive. Typically these builds are weaker in team fights so in PvP they’re fairly balanced.

Adding duels would likely lead to players demanding that 1v1s be balanced. Not to mention that GW1 and 2 have both been about team game types. Now they haven’t perfected this yet by any means but it’s highly unlikely that if they never added a duel mode in GW1 that they would consider it in 2.

Eve if you have a refuse option you’ll still have kids that harass you with “1v1 me bro” if you kill them in PvP. Even without the duel mode I get this kind of crap and I’ll probably just end up blocking a lot more people. I can get why some would want a mode like this but GW2 just isn’t that kind of game. I’d rather see time and resources put into improving organized PvP rather than a game mode that would be horribly imbalanced.

Just an angry old man…

Old Man Burr (War), Bad Hat Ben (Engi), Manly Manny Manson (Guard)

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Dueling proves what people want it to prove… That you are a proficient one on one fighter… AKA arcade style fighting, people do enjoy that, hence the popularity of it on so many consoles and arcades over the decades… It proves more than who can either burst the kitten out of the bunker or who can bunker the longest standing in a circle… There is far more “play” in 1v1 2v2 arenas than there is in conquest and that has been proven in many games.

Also with the exception of maybe a few abilities needing to be changed/nerfed (say, moa) 1v1 is balanced better than tpvp IF people build for it. It doesn’t seem like it in tPVP because generally people don’t build for 1v1 or 2v2 there, but having been in the 1v1 crowd for some time, there are heroes of every class in1v1. If you don’t want it because you don’t LIKE it, then just stop. No one wants their fun stomped on because it’s “not your thing”

in PvP

Posted by: reedju.5786

reedju.5786

No, this still is a team only game. Solo Q is simply a way for players without a team to get matched with others in a similar situation in team conquest. There is no true way, currently, to succeed without team coordination as most classes can only carry so far and only against new/inexperienced players (barely).

EDIT: That being said I still think dueling is a fun and casual way to ease players into fighting and new builds even if they are meant for a team setting, all the while letting experienced players prove their stuff. Like the above post said, even if 1v1 isn’t you thing, I don’t see any reason it shouldn’t have already been implemented. Lack of certain features really makes me wish GW2 had launched PvE as it was, with tPvP being released as “Beta”.

Black Avarice

(edited by reedju.5786)

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

It stays a team build. I never said “get rid of conquest give us only 1v1” holy kitten. Let people play the way they want, that’s what a good game IS, is options, it wouldn’t effect you in the slightest if others could play how they like to play. I guarantee you a little more 1v1 balance would help even 5v5 conquest.

Besides, it’s not JUST a team game. I’ts an “MMO” and mmo meants massively and multiplayer. 1 person would be playing with a LOT of others 1v1 or 2v2 as they continue quing. They’d still end up playing with more players than someone leveling up then soloing all the story mode and living story stuff. Stop fighting it, more is good for the game, and any type of “balance” is better than no balance. They don’t even have to go out of their way since there is always good 1v1 builds for everyone. Like I’ve said, if it doesn’t fit your liking, then just stay out of it all together, it won’t effect your favorite stand in a circle and get AoE bombed to death “pvp”.

in PvP

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

It stays a team build. I never said “get rid of conquest give us only 1v1” holy kitten. Let people play the way they want, that’s what a good game IS, is options, it wouldn’t effect you in the slightest if others could play how they like to play. I guarantee you a little more 1v1 balance would help even 5v5 conquest.

Besides, it’s not JUST a team game. I’ts an “MMO” and mmo meants massively and multiplayer. 1 person would be playing with a LOT of others 1v1 or 2v2 as they continue quing. They’d still end up playing with more players than someone leveling up then soloing all the story mode and living story stuff. Stop fighting it, more is good for the game, and any type of “balance” is better than no balance. They don’t even have to go out of their way since there is always good 1v1 builds for everyone. Like I’ve said, if it doesn’t fit your liking, then just stay out of it all together, it won’t effect your favorite stand in a circle and get AoE bombed to death “pvp”.

Check the arena list. There’s always a 1vs1 custom arena. I’ve been asked to leave a few matches that weren’t even named as such.

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Check the arena list. There’s always a 1vs1 custom arena. I’ve been asked to leave a few matches that weren’t even named as such.

I get that, but there’s always trolls, this that and the other thing, and most of all no reward for doing so. In fact I’ve been rank 29 for about a month now because 1v1 is the only pvp that doesn’t bore me to tears.