GW2 sPvP

GW2 sPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Azraeel.1238

Azraeel.1238

Hey Everyone,

I’m not a PvP fanatic, however I had my good share of instanced PvP, even maxed my rank in many of the previous MMOs I’ve played before. I loved the different flavors each instance brought to the players:
1 – You need to take a ball to the opponents goal to score.
2 – Holding grounds and gathering of resources.
3 – Destroying the opponent’s facilities/lord
4 – Holding an artifact and trying to last as long as you can.

Out of all of these, GW2 seems to only focus on one aspect, holding grounds. I know there are some ways to gather points in different instances, such as killing the lord, catapults, orb. But still, it feels the exact same thing!!! Hold your points, seize theirs… You don’t even need to plan out anything at the start, just go in and kill left and right. For example, in SWTOR, if you didn’t plan out before the match starts, even with pugs, your team might lose in less than 5 min.

I’m still rank 7 in GW2, and I can’t get myself to play more than 2 or 3 consecutive matches. I already have 7200 AP from PvE, and want to get the rest, however that sPvP is so kitten boring it feels like a grind.

GW2 isn’t the first MMO, and there are tons of MMOs before it, why didn’t they at least research which instances were most fun to play in previous releases, and implemented them here? No need to reinvent the wheel…

I don’t understand how can you guys go through it. Anything I’m missing?

80 Necromancer (Main) | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 80 Warrior
Engineer and Elementalist in progress…

GW2 sPvP

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

Try WvW.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

GW2 sPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

Ew Try PVE+? are you trolling? There’s a reason why there’s a 0 balance approach to wvwvw why you have pve skills and food/consumables available, mainly it’s that it’s not pvp it’s high end PVE…

If you enjoy pvp you’ll enjoy tournament mode, even soloque tournaments can be fun..

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

GW2 sPvP

in PvP

KarlaGrey.5903

He has an issue with the core pvp design (i.e. holding/capping points), which is identical across all pvp arenas. I know quite well what wvw (aka zerg vs zerg) is like, but the only other thing left to say would be ‘uninstall, the game has nothing more to offer’.

GW2 sPvP

in PvP

Darnis.4056

I dunno… it feels like this guy has just been doing hotjoin and is bored..(r7)
Of course this is the case there are no strong players in hotjoin and the style of play is LETS MAXIMISE GLORY GAIN.

I agree that new game modes would be good for Gw2 though… everyone wants some new game modes I think it was voted top request in a recent poll.

GW2 sPvP

in PvP

Posted by: sorrow.2364

sorrow.2364

I dunno… it feels like this guy has just been doing hotjoin and is bored..(r7)
Of course this is the case there are no strong players in hotjoin and the style of play is LETS MAXIMISE GLORY GAIN.

I don’t know how a r7 player may find a 5vs5 with gigantic waiting times more fun than a fast-joining 8vs8 considering that the mode and the maps are still the same.

Seriously, it’s like tPvP is a whole other world with ponies, fun and rainbows and it isn’t still the same conquest with the same design you find in 5v5 hotjoin arenas…

GW2 sPvP

in PvP

Darnis.4056

It’s like playing chess and checkers :/ same board different game.

GW2 sPvP

in PvP

sorrow.2364

It’s like playing chess and checkers :/ same board different game.

…and different rules too.
It doesn’t apply to tPvP and hotjoins, though. The rules are the same.

The only difference is that tPvP is ranked and you can play with a premade team. That’s all.

GW2 sPvP

in PvP

Darnis.4056

That’s not really true, the style of game play in hotjoin is completely different, we are talking about “fast-paced 8v8” right? where 8 people zerg one point while the other 8 zerg a different point? Where Winning doesn’t matter and all the points are made up? The difference between hotjoin and tpvp is huge… it’s hectic unrefined unstrategic everybody is running either a troll build or a troll build, hotjoin is supposedly there to “teach people pvp” but it really just teaches them how to farm glory by fighting off point always rushing far never defending and never working with your team.

GW2 sPvP

in PvP

KarlaGrey.5903

The game objectives are the same, the only difference are the strategies, or lack thereof, players deploy, which are ultimately connected with the rewards players are after (glory farm in hotjoin vs beating the opposing team in tpvp).

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

GW2 sPvP

in PvP

sorrow.2364

I’ve mentioned 5vs5 hotjoins.
The point in hotjoin is still winning over the enemy team, since you gain more glory hence you get more of what you want.

5vs5 hotjoin and a 5vs5 tPvP SoloQ vs SoloQ are exactly the same thing.
Also, you’re talking like in tPvP is not full of troll builds too.

GW2 sPvP

in PvP

Azraeel.1238

What Sorrow said.

I understand there may be different strategies done in tPvP, however at the end of the day you would still strive to hold points. You don’t see different game designs in different instances, such as the points I mentioned in the opening post.

I even asked a guildie who does a lot of sPvP as how he can bear through it, and he said he only likes killing people. I bet many who grind sPvP, do it for the killing, and not for the fun of acquiring objectives. As it is repetitive and boring imo.

GW2 sPvP

in PvP

Darnis.4056

Your arguments sound like a lot of theorycrafting and not actual play in tpvp or even hotjoin :/
“I asked a friend?” lol..

Bottomline; rank 7 is like 20 hotjoin games and really not a indicator of anything; play some tpvp to check if your “theorycrafting” is right..

If you don’t like it go to wvwvw as Karla Gray has purposed.
If the semi-competitive side of the game isn’t intriguing to you
maybe the casual side will be.

GW2 sPvP

in PvP

sorrow.2364

Your arguments sound like a lot of theorycrafting and not actual play in tpvp or even hotjoin :/

Bottomline; rank 7 is like 20 hotjoin games and really not a indicator of anything; play some tpvp to check if your “theorycrafting” is right..

The point is that the competive side of the game is intriguing not even the 5% of the buyers, according to how many people have watched the last highly publicized tournament (ESL test tournament) and highly exaggerate the numbers (5% are 150.000 players, only about 1000-2000 watched the finals).

You can clearly see that the competitive side is almost desert just checking out the massive matchmaking waiting times in tPvP and it’s not by suggesting players “go play WvWvW or PvE” that you’ll fix this problem, neither dismissing the point of view of someone who is interested in competition but not in GW2 PvP.

GW2 sPvP

in PvP

Darnis.4056

Ugh . what even is this.. you came for esports?..
I came for good fites.

“Waiting times”?
Que times are almost instant.. again you have no idea what you’re talking about..

“Go play wvwvw or pve not the answer”
No really ? :/ I didn’t suggest that they play wvwvw I quoted an above poster who I disagreed with.

GW2 sPvP

in PvP

sorrow.2364

Ugh . what even is this.. you came for esports?..
I came for good fites.

“Waiting times”?
Que times are almost instant.. again you have no idea what you’re talking about..

“Go play wvwvw or pve not the answer”
No really ? :/ I didn’t suggest that they play wvwvw I quoted an above poster who I disagreed with.

I came for a good PvP game like Guild Wars 1 was. Sadly, it isn’t and numbers are by my side.

I don’t know in which hours of the day you play or if you’re just lucky, but each time I try to queue I have to wait at least 5 minutes.

GW2 sPvP

in PvP

Azraeel.1238

My argument isn’t “theorycrafting”, and I actually asked more than one person, and not even one told me he actually enjoys the objectives of the instanced pvp as much as the killing. You don’t need to play 1,000 instances to realize that the objectives are the same, “Hold your points, seize theirs.”

My point is that there are tons of ideas out there to bring new objectives in different PvP instances instead of having the same look and feel everywhere. They actually apply this, to some extent, in mini games. Like the current mini game where you need to pick a crystal and drag it to your base. Why don’t they apply the same thing, where one needs to carry the crystal back, in a bigger map, the rest support using our own skills and weapons? This is just an idea, and many others can be easily done…

GW2 sPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

The point in hotjoin is still winning over the enemy team, since you gain more glory hence you get more of what you want.

1. Glory is a useless currency noone is hunting for.
2. Winning in hotjoni is just a side-effect
3. The actual reason why ppl grind hotjoin is for rank-points not glory

So don’t mix glory and rank-points. They are two totally different things.

Read It Backwards [BooN]