Game Balance

Game Balance

in PvP

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

“Once every quarter, we’ll release a new, major balance update to shake up the meta for the next quarter.”

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-road-ahead-for-2015/

This sounds terribly tedious. Balance patches should be done to create a competitive environment. Sure players are happy that some new things have been added with the expansion, but myself, I’d like for the dust to eventually settle for a while. Balance out what we have now, and fix up the queue system so players can opt out of certain maps and also queue for deathmatch. Do not focus on suddenly giving each profession new tools and nerfing normally used ones just for the sake of change. This is my opinion, so hopefully other people can share theirs. Maybe I’m misinterpreting this, and they are just trying to say that they will release balance patches every few months. Either way, I think this merits some discussion. (And perhaps clarification

Game Balance

in PvP

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Yes, it sounds as if it’s meant to make classes OP and other classes Up just for the sake of “an interesting core shake”.
And I agree that the elites need to somewhat settle a bit.
But I disagree on how things have been handeled since June. More frequent balance patches would’ve been needed as from my point of view that what has happened is that we’ve had a massive power creep which is only survived by those who have enough invulnerabilities = less skill needed. It’s ok when this happens but it’s not ok to leave it in game for that long so people get used to it.
My poor D/D thief has been completely and utterly destroyed in June, so he will be dead for half a year when the next balance patch hits. Not sure if enough people are as stupid as me and stick around for that long. Balance is the core of competitive play.

Game Balance

in PvP

Posted by: Dakarius.3284

Dakarius.3284

Yes, it sounds as if it’s meant to make classes OP and other classes Up just for the sake of “an interesting core shake”.
And I agree that the elites need to somewhat settle a bit.
But I disagree on how things have been handeled since June. More frequent balance patches would’ve been needed as from my point of view that what has happened is that we’ve had a massive power creep which is only survived by those who have enough invulnerabilities = less skill needed. It’s ok when this happens but it’s not ok to leave it in game for that long so people get used to it.
My poor D/D thief has been completely and utterly destroyed in June, so he will be dead for half a year when the next balance patch hits. Not sure if enough people are as stupid as me and stick around for that long. Balance is the core of competitive play.

I’m just as stupid as you playing d/d. It’s sad, I can barely afford to stay in a fight long enough to CnD in melee, let alone having it actually connect.

Game Balance

in PvP

Jana.6831

I’m just as stupid as you playing d/d. It’s sad, I can barely afford to stay in a fight long enough to CnD in melee, let alone having it actually connect.

Yay, someone who suffers with me
Even defeating the noobiest ranger feels like a gigantic success.

Anyway, what I forgot to say in my last post: It might as well be that my thief will stay dead even after the next balance patch, then it’s another 1/4 to 1/2 years to hope – and that is really hard to be honest. I’d rather have some minor tweaks here and there and things not settled but “This seems off, we try to nerf/buff it, lets see how it goes, if it’s too weak we’ll buff it again, if it’s too strong, we’ll nerf it.” Rather a constant flow than “shake to the core” – I get that this is exciting to a lot of people who also like to play always different classes, but most people I know stick to their main.

Game Balance

in PvP

Posted by: Dakarius.3284

Dakarius.3284

Yay, someone who suffers with me
Even defeating the noobiest ranger feels like a gigantic success.

Anyway, what I forgot to say in my last post: It might as well be that my thief will stay dead even after the next balance patch, then it’s another 1/4 to 1/2 years to hope – and that is really hard to be honest. I’d rather have some minor tweaks here and there and things not settled but “This seems off, we try to nerf/buff it, lets see how it goes, if it’s too weak we’ll buff it again, if it’s too strong, we’ll nerf it.” Rather a constant flow than “shake to the core” – I get that this is exciting to a lot of people who also like to play always different classes, but most people I know stick to their main.

I don’t really have any confidence in arenanet buffing d/d. They don’t seem to care if multiple weapon sets aren’t viable as long as there is one viable one. Never mind it’s easy as hell to buff just the under performing weapon sets without affecting overall game balance.

(edited by Dakarius.3284)

Game Balance

in PvP

Jana.6831

I don’t really have any confidence in arenanet buffing d/d. They don’t seem to care if multiple weapon sets aren’t viable as long as there is one viable one. Never mind it’s easy as hell to buff just the under performing weapon sets without affecting overall game balance.

Yes, you’re right, they’ll probably tweak staff a bit, buff D/P a bit and also S/D to not lose someone I called “Canary bird of GW2 thief” today – as long as he’s there there’s hope (at least for me).
And that’s probably a huge mistake from their part – wouldn’t it be more fun if all weaponsets were viable? You’d have ~5 different specs per class instead of now 1-3 so it would be a lot more challenging to learn to counter all of that. But maybe that’s too little faceroll.

Game Balance

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

i dont need palace patches over and over and over.

How about this anet make all the class playable with multiple builds and then just create a league feature.

Actual casual gamer rewards, pulling us around all the time sounds like a dog who is mad at its reflection.

Game Balance

in PvP

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

It seems clear to me after the past failure at balancing they gave up on balance and instead just wanna “shake things up”. It seems to be a tendency with Anet that apparently wants to randomize everything, from map voting to class balancing.

Heavy class doing 14k damage with the press of 1 button = bad balancing
Squishiest class having ZERO good elite skills = bad balancing
Passive skills stronger than active skills = bad balancing
Class that can 1-shot people from stealth = bad balancing

These are the things that need immediate attention and precise fine-tuning much more than being thrown in the shake-things-up randomizer.

Game Balance

in PvP

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Didn’t they at some point (prior to HoT launch) say that they will have balancing patches every two weeks? Or did I misunderstand?

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!