Posted by: SaintSnow.6593

SaintSnow.6593

Säïnt

(edited by SaintSnow.6593)

Get hyped lads. This could be the one.

in PvP

SaintSnow.6593

But but but..“practice” mode! And and, map selection!

Säïnt

in PvP

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

This blog post is awful.

The game already uses Glicko for matchmaking. The press release says they’re tweaking the formula and how the ladder works, but it sounds like the matchmaking is barely changing. It’s certainly not using an entirely new system.

The biggest announcements in the press release are the new game mode and PvP seasons, but we don’t have substantial details for either.

It says significant improvements to matchmaking.

Sounds like good changes to me. I’m sure some people will want more but I’m happy about it. That being said we’ll see how it all pans out.

in PvP

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Not jumping on the hype train yet! New game mode could just be an unranked arena or something. While I’m pleased to finally hear about ladders, they are only testing it in mid December, so that means it’s still awhile until the final version gets implemented.

However, it’s always great to see them adding and at least trying to fix pvp. Shows they haven’t completely given up on it. So I’ll just wait and see, hopefully it turns out good.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in PvP

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

Is Phantagram a typo or did he pick a different name cz he plays both regions?

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in PvP

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

So, from what I’m getting:

- Practice Mode will be Hot Join skirmishes;
- Improved matchmaking;
- Improved dishonour system;
- Map selection;
- Ladder system;

Nothing mentioned on:
- Balance changes;
- New game modes;
- Improved rewards;

Seems like it’s be a much needed update on infrastructure, but I’m afraid the pvp experience will remain the same (conquest, same maps, same meta).

in PvP

Posted by: Cerpin.9152

Cerpin.9152

I am hype for ladders !!!!
Lets just hope they nail the system from the start ….

in PvP

Posted by: Acgsev.6931

Acgsev.6931

i am so hype you guys have no idea.

Forget it, Jake. It’s SoloQ.

in PvP

SaintSnow.6593

It didn’t mention it, but they better put in a match pause function or I’ll collapse a lung. Almost 3 years and still nada.

Säïnt

in PvP

Posted by: Penguin.7906

Penguin.7906

say bb to ur lung saint, its not gonna happen

Shuriyo

in PvP

Harbinger.8637

But yeah no “new” game modes. They are still working on those apparently.

That was poor wording in the press release, there is no “new game mode” in the traditional sense we’d think of (new map/ new rules) being released in this update, though our competitive team continues to work on new game mode options as we speak. As with all things, they’ll give details on this when it’s far enough along we’re able to talk about it.

The reference to “mode” is talking about how players will be organized in PvP games, details later this week.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in PvP

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Josh Davis.6015

Next

in PvP

Posted by: Vieteriukko.6075

Vieteriukko.6075

This is awsome news!

Thanks for listening players but you could have given at least a little light of hope during this atumn already but anyways GREAT NEWS.

in PvP

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

Ok I am hype now. Awesome community driven changes.

in PvP

Posted by: Arleii.5304

Arleii.5304

I’m so hyped! But a huge let down for me would be if the ladders weren’t in-game…I really hope they are in-game, looking for official game stuff outside the game is just not cool, but otherwise, I am so glad these changes are coming! Good work Anet, here, take a cookie. gives a cookie <3

Iin bhiin lan anath
. . .
ban galla nir

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

Why are you actually hyped? I’m disappointed.

The season is useless for everyone except the top 20 players.
A mini llama for the Top 250? I already have one, they have already thrown around with them…

It doesn’t look like the patch will bring any useful features for me…

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

in PvP

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Sounds good I hope it will be finally work as intended. Fingers crossed:-)

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

I feel like removing solo arena was a good move. Although I am sure people will be against it. For me, if the new system works (and it will struggle to work due to low population however robust the algorithm is) then this is HUGE for the game. It effectively adds support for duo/trio queue players to have some fun and balanced match ups. This is possibly the most needed thing in the game in my opinion as finding a roster of 5 is just time consuming and frustrating. Especially as 95% of the pvp community are babies who can’t take losing and then rage quit after one match leaving you needing to fill your spots again.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Hopefully this means that I never need to see skyhammer or spirit watch in a ranked game ever again.

in PvP

Posted by: Arcadio.6875

Arcadio.6875

While there is no new pvp mode or map, I gotta say this is a very good update. Unranked Arena was needed and I’m glad it’s coming.

Lord Arcadio
League Of Ascending Immortals [OATH]

in PvP

Harbinger.8637

I’m actually pretty excited now, these changes are actually good. Ladders that have rewards, and also removing team/solo que and combining it into one playlist, this is great because it doesn’t spilt the community. As long as the algorithms work properly, this is exactly what PvP needed. It’s also a nice touch that you’re rewarding the current leaderboard before they are removed.

So I must say I’m now hyped, and I’ll actually start playing the game again. Sure some new game modes would have been great, but this is the much needed infrastructure update that pvp needs.

Faith restored

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

(edited by Harbinger.8637)

in PvP

Posted by: Kugkug.8795

Kugkug.8795

pretty awesome that they are working on improving the pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Avead.5760

Avead.5760

wow i check back the gw2 forum after so long..and what i see?!
The big next update is combining solo and team queue..a year ago the long waited big update was spliting them..go figure.
ALL YOU HAD TO DO was make soloq meaningful by puting better match making and TRUE decay. I guess lol and other pvp games are wrong having those seperated
Then again those have a community to split between those two..
Also wtf why do i only see 1 “balance” patch.Did time stop in Gw2?? hahahah

in PvP

Posted by: Trigr.6481

Trigr.6481

http://www.tentonhammer.com/news/guild-wars-2/guild-wars-2-launch-major-pvp-update
If this update preview doesn’t get you slightly tingly inside, you just might be dead.

No new game modes, ladders are a decent start. This patch seems more quality of life features which was long needed sure. Personally until this game comes out with either a bunch of new abilities, or a smaller pvp game type variant, I’ll probably save my hard drive space.

Countless

in PvP

Posted by: Brigg.6189

Brigg.6189

So is it armor for top 20 players on Dec 2 server restart, or armor for anyone that’s reached top 20 before Dec 2?

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Why are you actually hyped? I’m disappointed.

The season is useless for everyone except the top 20 players.
A mini llama for the Top 250? I already have one, they have already thrown around with them…

It doesn’t look like the patch will bring any useful features for me…

They did say these are the fundaments of the league structure. I assume leagues would have a better reward structure with different reward tracks tied to different leagues and scaled time/skill-wise.

But maybe not.. who knows with anet.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: Narkodx.1472

Narkodx.1472

FINALLLLYYY!!

The tears of joy are flowing – maybe not

Seems like someone lit a fire under the pvp teams kitten s

in PvP

Posted by: PSILO.4068

PSILO.4068

kittening sounds pretty sweet to me

in PvP

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

So, from what I’m getting:

- Practice Mode will be Hot Join skirmishes;
- Improved matchmaking;
- Improved dishonour system;
- Map selection;
- Ladder system;

Nothing mentioned on:
- Balance changes;
- New game modes;
- Improved rewards;

Seems like it’s be a much needed update on infrastructure, but I’m afraid the pvp experience will remain the same (conquest, same maps, same meta).

^ this right here!

I will probably update my client and have a go into pvp but I’m sure it wont last more than a couple of days, then I’ll go back to the game I’m playing right now that lauched with 2 different PvP modes… coff coff

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

So glad we can finally talk about the update! It’s been a long time in the making. I look forward to playing with you guys in a couple weeks! (though I’ll probably be nervously watching servers with the rest of the team)

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in PvP

Posted by: Mister Fluffkin.7358

Mister Fluffkin.7358

Im really hyped, these are great improvements to pvp! Anet is back again!

As someone mentioned before, i also hope ladders are visible ingame. But either way, this sounds great!

in PvP

Posted by: Chicago Jack.5647

Chicago Jack.5647

Finally. SOME level of structure in PvP. Hopefully this won’t be 2 years too late.

in PvP

Posted by: skullfaerie.7203

skullfaerie.7203

I thought that article was a mean joke ;o; But it was real….

Anet… Cookies? Donuts? Group hug? ;o;

in PvP

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

I’m generally very excited about this, but I’m afraid that I’m still fed with the 2-years old conquest mode and the never-ending known issues with the meta. However, the day a new game mode is added, I’m sure pvp will be much sweeter to me with all the December changes into account.

(However, playing casually with friends in unranked queue might be fun).

in PvP

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

I’m so hyped! But a huge let down for me would be if the ladders weren’t in-game…I really hope they are in-game, looking for official game stuff outside the game is just not cool, but otherwise, I am so glad these changes are coming! Good work Anet, here, take a cookie. gives a cookie <3

I don’t really mind them being visible only outside the game, but I can understand wanting them visible in-game. If it isn’t visible in the game, a /leaderboard command would be nice, and customizations to handle /leaderboard <arg> where <arg> is either “ap”, “pvp”, or “wvw” would be even nicer.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

in PvP

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

The improvements do sound like they will further help make sPvP more appealing. A good matchmaking system is essential for any PvP game. Emphasizing that solo players can get into balanced matches is something they need to do.

I might be able to convince my friends to join in some sPvP as a group, I assume we can make sPvP groups even if people are on different WvW home servers?

I really did enjoy sPvP when I tried it, but I keep getting ahead of the reward improvement ArenaNet makes to it and end up doing something else. I bored myself to tears grinding Empyreal Fragments through the horrible PvE options, then when I finally got all that I need, they start to offer Emps through a PvP reward track.

Now I’m grinding for Mawdry parts when I would certainly be doing sPvP if I could get them that way (relic fragments to be specific, but I’ve already posted that in another thread).

GW2 continues to seem intent on re-directing me away from playing the way I want, and pushing me back into very specific PvE content, often times PvE content that I’m doing just to get out of the way rather than because it is really that much fun. I hope this update will include even further expansion of the sPvP reward tracks offered as an alternative to tedious PvE grinding.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

(edited by DoctorOverlord.8620)

in PvP

Posted by: Phantaram.1265

Phantaram.1265

One of these days the internet will get my name right.

in PvP

Posted by: Chicago Jack.5647

Chicago Jack.5647

Okay Phanta-ranta-ranta-ranta-ranta-ranta-ranta-ranta-ranta-ram.

in PvP

Posted by: Phantaram.1265

Phantaram.1265

Okay Phanta-ranta-ranta-ranta-ranta-ranta-ranta-ranta-ranta-ram.

See! I even spell out that one part for them over and over.

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

Go back to your cave, Fataram

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in PvP

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

No In game guild/team rankings , kthanxbiaqq

[WM]give us in game ladder

in PvP

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

As long as skyhammer isnt included in the new ranked arena rotation this will be the best patch we’ve had in 2 years.

#esports?

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

in PvP

SaintSnow.6593

Every time I look back at this, I can’t beleieve my eyes, I’m still hyped.
#smellslikeprogress.

Säïnt

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

Couple things, is unranked play going to give same rewards as ranked play?

I assume unranked play is going to be a ghost town, that or hotjoins will be if they don’t fix hotjoins. Basically unranked and hotjoins is samething, just because you have Practice for one of them and Play for the other doesn’t make them any different.

Also, for the ranked games will we be able to chose maps like Raid of Capricorn, Skyhammer, Spirit Watch, AND Courtyard?

I still think your wording is bad and that one of the two are going to be a hardly active, talking about hotjoin, should be called Fun. Unranked should be called Practice, because your not ranked, its practice. Every style you chose is Play, whoever came up with Play is dumb. Both are same thing too, except unranked I assume it gives you a team. Unranked solo and ranked solo que… Hrmmm. I’m still going to play ranked solo que, because no point in Unranked (Play). If you want to practice for ranked by your terminology you do the hotjoin (Practice). unranked really has no spot in any of this.

Only way this would make any sense at all is to bring back tournament tickets and make people win in unranked matches to be able to compete in ranked matches. So very dumb of you guys to remove them because its one of the factors that limits the newbs from just doing ranked all day long.

I’m not going to play unranked solo que because the wins don’t go towards title, and your not even on the leaderboard so no point in unranked solo que. Also, you cant really practice in unranked solo que because they claim its just (Play), but the real factor is, solo que is mysterious if you have that one guy that dominates on your team you’ll win, you’ll get better at solo que by playing it like its the real thing (ranked). Nobody got time to do unranked solo que’s. If you got a team, why you do unranked match, go right into ranked and get better rewards, or practice in hotjoins. Unranked is so stupid, it only makes sense like I said earlier by being a stepping stone towards ranked by forcing people to play it so they get a ticket to do a ranked match.

I still think solo que and team que should be merged and just have a better matchmaking system where if you go solo it will pit you against solo players 100% of the time. If you duo, trio, quadro, wait at least 5 mins before pitting you against a full team. There should be an option that says “I’m ok with going against full team as solo, or I don’t want to face a full team”. The old system encouraged people to party up after the game, this new system, like I keep telling you guys, nobody even considers partying up and going for teamplay and thus creation of new teams or potential of that to happen.
I use to easily get a lot of pvp friends with the old system, I only got 2 friends with the new system and that was through the guild I was in and not because the environment of pvp was party friendly.

The current environment of pvp is opposite of party friendly. After solo que games people don’t whisper another person to party up, they whisper you telling you that you are a piece of kitten or something, lol. Threads like https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/So-it-finally-happened/first#post4548721 https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Meta-and-Arrogance-hand-in-hand
People just be hating instead of something like “hey man your good, lets party up and if we see other good players we will invite them to que up with us”……

You wonder why you see the same teams maybe some players switching around to different team, but same teams in all these tournaments. Or teams that appear for like a week and vanish.

The PvP environment just isn’t party friendly and that’s where you fail.

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

Yall at Anet need to update your forums, I don’t say much and my message gets cut off easily by the tiny word amount you guys have. Since I got 120 seconds to wait, lemme tell ya another thing yall at anet (the website IT’s) need to work on, and that’s the search button. You see this thread I’m linking, racial finishers, if you type racial in the search NOTHING appears, I’m pretty sure if you type racial finishers NOTHING will appear. Your search engine is bad and you guys (website IT’s) need to work on that.

You should have taken my advice instead of the preppy popular kids who think they know all.
If you added racial norn finisher chokeslam, that would increase your twitch viewership by at least 2k because people like seeing chokeslams https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/PvP-needs-racial-finishers/first#post4563254.

Another thing, if you made hotjoin FUN again it would bring more players into PvP, but since you continue to listen to those preppy popular kids and there beliefs, having an unfun/ all seriousness PvP system will only prevent the game from being as good as it should be.

Merge all them freaking tournaments into 1, and have a REAL tournament in game style, like GW1 did. Where its not just a phony tournament (2 teams, nothing special, not even a real tournament because real tournaments have more than 2 teams). Something like a continuous play style tournament, where you can drop out whenever you want too, but it goes off whose continuously winning and get pitted against other people continuously winning and get rewards for continuous wins, great rewards if both teams have high win streak and get pitted against each other (meaning theres actually people playing… like 100 people or so, rather than the current 15-25 people that que again and again., because you cant get a party that won 10 games in a row against another party with 10 games in a row wins, against each other with only 15-25 people playing, you need a lot more people active than that.)

So sick of these top tiered players having good leaderboard stats because they que up when the other good players aren’t queing up. There needs to be some serious rivalaries and serious competition not this fake, I got 30 wins 0 losses (I told the other good players, don’t que, I wanna show community I’m l33t by playing against newbs) Hence my rewards based on high win streak vs high win streak = really great rewards and not just I did 30 games continuous and won them all, but I had all the good players on my team and told the rest to just (Play) in unranked games and wait there turn for super crazy win streaks with little to none competition.

Another thought came to mind, its about good players not queing up when other good players are on. Its because your leaderboard system, you can make it to the top by just winning, you don’t necessarily have to BEAT any of the other good players.

If I really was insisted on getting to top 25, I’d befriend every good player and see what they doing, and pick good times to que up (when they already in game or not online and maybe risk it if they in WvW or doing something outside hearts of mist). You need to get a real leaderboard system that’s TRUE, and shows who your pitted against and potential of raising or lowering in the leaderboard. If a rank 700 lb player plays with a bunch of people not on leaderboard he shouldn’t jump up to 600s, should be a minor increase if anything, and when you get close to top 100 it should be minor increases and decreases.
I made another thread on my theory about the leaderboard, its better than what I’m saying here, aint got time to figure out what title of it is though, but it’s basically less harsh when you lose games (drop 50 spots) and you go up like 90 spots if you win. Encourages knocking people off the leaderboard that are inactive because you don’t get hurt too much from losing and when you win, it feels good. So losing doesn’t really make you too angry anymore (although 17 losses in a row will), and winning will be more enjoyable. Leaderboards more accurate too, or active at least.

Oh yaaaa…
Wheres the PvP template system that you offered us so long ago? I still don’t see any option to go from template to template in the PvP build tab, that you spiffed all up for that thing alone (I aint dumb).

(edited by uberkingkong.8041)

in PvP

Posted by: johnsonade.9547

johnsonade.9547

Can we get some Kill, Death, Assist, special map stats (i.e. lord kills, treb hits, etc.) and profession stats as well? Or have they been there all along and I just haven’t found them? I’d even like some kind of 2v1 or 1v1 stat sooner or later. All those stats don’t have to be on the ladder, but they can definitely add excitement for shoutcasting and pregame strategy purposes.

in PvP

Posted by: Kicast.1459

Kicast.1459

Could someone tell for how long we have been promised a new game mode ?
I feel this is geting freaking ridiculous…
What they offer is a … no more skyhammer on ranked.
And they talk about new game mode by just changing the wording on existing modes. This is a joke, isn’kitten Provocation ? Troll ?

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Could someone tell for how long we have been promised a new game mode ?
I feel this is geting freaking ridiculous…
What they offer is a … no more skyhammer on ranked.
And they talk about new game mode by just changing the wording on existing modes. This is a joke, isn’kitten Provocation ? Troll ?

I almost guarantee that the new game mode will be released as hotjoin only. So it is irrelevant anyway.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Posted by: Celtus.8456

Celtus.8456

Interesting stuff. But, I really disagree with having a ‘practice mode’ (hotjoin). Unranked arena will likely be casual enough, that I see no reason to have unranked arena and hotjoin. I can imagine people maybe exploring the map and afking more in ‘practice’ mode, but honestly who cares if they do it in unranked.

Further, we will still have custom arenas I assume. Let custom arenas be the new hotjoin/practice areas for those who want such a thing, and then just have unranked/ranked queues. I was under the impression that ArenaNet was opposed to splitting the player base into too many segments. Why then would we create this unnecessary split?

Josre
Zulu Ox Tactics [zulu]

in PvP

Posted by: KingMango.9785

KingMango.9785

I’m on the hype train!

The fixes I found important:

-Matchmaking
-New players “hopefully” find the button “practice”.
- If population is not enough to give you good rated games, you can go unrated and just play.

Sounds good for me.