Getting Hotjoin Pts efficiently

in PvP

Posted by: Laserbolt.6731

Laserbolt.6731

Being the analytical person that I am, I have been studying hotjoin and who gets the most points.

I stay in a series of games and notice that the person who is top with 280 points on match, can be at the bottom the next match.

The only time the same people lead the points is when at least two or three really good players manage to stick together for lots of matches. They bring whoever is with them up by 150 pts or more.

So I try to spot them and then spectate at the beginning of the next match so I can join them.

But this effect is also what really can mess up the mind of a new player thinking that they were great one match, and that they screwed up the next match.

90% of hotjoin success is being on the right team. And when you are on a strong team, it feels like you are super powerful.

And when you are on a weak team you suddenly feel like you are terrible.

Scrapper: “Frank from Research”

in PvP

Posted by: Atlanis.6597

Atlanis.6597

To be entirely honest with you: forget about the points. Focus on winning the game. Even better, stop playing the 8v8 hotjoins and instead do 5v5s. You will rank up more slowly, but the game is balanced around 5v5 and playing it at that level prevents a lot of abuse cases that can happen in 8v8 (eg 8 players spamming their aoe can 1-shot a group of squishy players, leaving the tankier ones in an impossible situation). Even better, zerging doesn’t work in 5v5 unless the team being zerged doesn’t know how to handle it (which is pretty rare as its intuitive; you just backcap).

You are almost right on that percentage: its 80%. The other 20% is you. If you do exceptionally well, you can carry a team in 5v5. In 8s? It all comes down to who has the more effective zerg. The only reason 8s exist is to fit more players into fewer matches. I honestly don’t know why they chose to make 8s the default hotjoin mode.

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

Atlantis,

I understand. I used to think that. In the beginning I focused on winning the game. It turned out to be frustrating because in hotjoin , (regardless of what some people fervently want to believe) the outcome in 8×8 hotjoin is much more how well your team does, not primarily what you do.

That meant that I could do really well, and still lose, and have very few achievement points on top of it. It was totally disappointing.

Solo queue is worse because as a PuG player, you are more often than not on a handicapped team with no communication or real strategy, against a premade.

So really, I have come down to focusing on points, since that is the hotjoin “metagame” that is enforced by the situation ANet has created… for the next few months anyway. Or longer.

It’s my current “mini game”.

I’ll look into 5×5 as well. Those matches take a while to get in. But it likely is worth it.

(edited by Laserbolt.6731)

in PvP

Posted by: Atlanis.6597

Atlanis.6597

Just fyi there are 5v5 non-tournament matches. Filter the results from the normal match list for team size = 5.

in PvP

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

If you only care about rank points? I used to consistently rank top score or second top in hotfixes.. my method is to focus on capping, ignore large zergs, use map advantages like the sky hammer or cannon, always to kill treb after ur first cap then back cap enemy’s home point, always be first to chieftain/svanir on second spawn, always grab ferocities/ tranq if uncontested. 1v1, kill them fast, 1v2, kill them fast or run to your next point. If someone gets in your way between running to cap, pull them to the next cap point and kill them there. Don’t waste time on killing bunkers. I treat hotfixes like I am on my own, the teams are either trash or decent, I ignore them and focus only on my personal score. Team winning the game is for tournaments and that’s a whole different game where it actually matters if win/loss.

Tl/DR.. Hot fixes are an awful mess. It’s every man for himself.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

(edited by swiftpaw.6397)

in PvP

Posted by: Leohart.4610

Leohart.4610

What swiftpaw said, it’s mostly just farming those rank points in 8 v 8 hot joins though sometimes you’ll run into fairly balanced games but they don’t usually last too long. If you want to show off some skill go to 5 v 5s where each individual player’s efforts has a bigger consequence.

in PvP

Posted by: Caffynated.5713

Caffynated.5713

The secret to max rank points every match is Kaypud’s 10v10 Beach Brawl. How I miss the good times.

“We recognize that the changes to [ele] will essentially remove it from play. In the future,
we may consider whether or not there is an incarnation of [ele] that would be viable
but balanced. For now, we do not expect it to see serious use.” – ANet

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

Hotjoin mentality? I explained this like 4 weeks ago, told them to fix it on the last sotg, they aint do kitten because those players are the ones that are abusing hotjoins so they can be high ranks.

As you see in image 1 I got 591 points, the treb is everything when it comes to points on khylo, so easy to use all you do is aim it to where you see all the bright lights at (where the action is), my typical start with treb is at far point node because enemy zerg will go and cap it, then I aim it right in front of clocktower and bridge (where the enemy comes from) and time it right when they about to be in that area and just confuse the heck out of them because nobody else does what I do. Anyways when you playing against a bunch of newbs they aint going to treb anyways and with the new hotjoin system you can pick which team your on, obviously pick the team with the good players while the newbs pick random or the bad players team.

But in the other maps, it aint about doing communes and capping all day long, its about tagging as many peeps as you can and following the right people. Leave the finishing and whatever else to the people who don’t know whats going on.

Another big indicator of which team to join when a game starts is when you cant join the red team and it stays like that for 10 seconds or so… what you do is don’t join blue team and wait for someone who isn’t patience aka newb to join other team while your spamming red team because that’s the team that’s going to be farming people all day long.

This isn’t such a issue but since the introduction of custom arenas and allowing you to pick your team it has become an issue and the people that attend the sotg don’t address this because they are the ones abusing this. Before you was unable to pick your team but you could swap, which was effective but not too game breaking, but swapping only worked every now and then (have to pay very close attention to it) and it made it so you couldn’t start out the game as powerful newbie killing force.

Last thing before I go on rant, 10 v 10 games aren’t good as a 8v8 game when it comes to points… You don’t want to be in a 10v10 battle, you want your battles to be something like 6v2 6v3, 6v1, you want the edge, in 10v10 hardly anyone dies but in 8v8 game if you got newb running into 6 people, that’s 15 free points for you, keep em coming. oh and if you don’t win your games you wont get full points, as you can see in img 1 and 2, if I won game with 591 points I’d gotten a heck of a lot of rank points from that, I only notice this when you go past the rank point cap, so if you don’t get 300 or so rank point per game, don’t worry about winning so much.

Now I could do this all day long and get rank 80 when the first massive group of people get rank 80, but I just don’t see the point in it anymore, rank 50 is the last good set of armor and the armor past rank 50 just doesn’t please me, theres no real point to being a rank 80 especially when a bunch of other people will be rank 80 along with you due to how easy it is to obtain, the only thing that takes effort is spending time doing so.

I haven’t played this game in awhile, its just not that competitive, sure I’m not the best but you cant tell if I’m good or not, the ladder is terrible, put from pve don’t even know or care about how great you are because everyone is running around with champ titles and those be top 5 in leaderboard and such titles are beyond lame, theres so many titles out there just having a title doesn’t even feel that important anymore because they just hand them out to everyone.

The tournament system in this game is a joke, as well the one in GW1 was better, just being able to see 8 different teams in a game and then being notified that such and such has won all those games, that’s how a tournament should be. There should be a massive tournament and you should be able to view how its going and how bad teams have beaten each other and etc. You should have massive tournaments regardless if they are real cash tournaments and what not. There should be one once a week or everyday at certain time.

Due to bad tournament system it forces tournament players to hotjoins. I don’t think tournaments should offer more rewards, it should just be more competitive and more fame worthy where people can take note of your winnings in game (im not talking about your win/loss record im talking about current games going on right now). Should have some kind of announcement thing before matches too, I feel the team names are shown too quickly, it should also announce win streaks before match to make the other team get hyped up or something because they about to face a 50 win streak team or so.

Attachments:

(edited by uberkingkong.8041)

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

uberkingkong,

Good tips. I knew some of them. But I learned some others.

in PvP

Posted by: Cyhann.2609

Cyhann.2609

1. Get a Team which whom you talk to via Teamspeak.
2. Get ranged AoE weps and the best fotm builds.
3. Be at least at average Turnament lvl.
4. Zerg around.
5. ???
6. Profit

in PvP

Posted by: dovrak.4376

dovrak.4376

Hotjoin isn’t different than wvw zerg fights.. It’s probably even worse, especially when you’re forced to play skyhammer, oh god, I always end quitting playing that map.

in PvP

Posted by: Celtus.8456

Celtus.8456

Some good points mentioned for the OP, as well as bringing up the flaws of the system. Some of the problems I see are that there is no focus on consecutive wins (or winning at all) as in Gw1 RA/TA/HA/Codex. In those formats, players would rank up faster if they won consecutively. Furthermore, it is unfortunate that spectator mode has now allowed players to choose teams, often stacking teams with better players/friends to make the match less fair and less fun for many of those involved.

If you do want to rank up fast, play something you enjoy and get good with it, I have seen every profession get top scores.

Josre
Zulu Ox Tactics [zulu]

(edited by Celtus.8456)

in PvP

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

Unfortunately uberkingkong is right. I can finish a game with most caps, neutralise, point defends, point attacks and still have half or even less then the guy on the other team who played to get points. I played the conquest gametype we are forced into and got less points then someone playing Team Death Match in the same game.

Reduce the points from killing and up the points for completing the objective. I don’t know if that would help or not since most zergs go point to point anyways.

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

The simple fact is they only had the resources to build a tournament scoring system. And it rewards zerging in hotjoins.

If they had the resources, they could have a “hotjoin scoring” alternative for hotjoin arenas, where you would get many more points for taking or holding objectives against overwhelming odds than you would from plinking as many enemies as possible from afar while following a zerg. And less points for piling on in a 5 v 2 situation.

(edited by Laserbolt.6731)

in PvP

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

The simple fact is they only had the resources to build a tournament scoring system. And it rewards zerging in hotjoins.

If they had the resources, they could have a “hotjoin scoring” alternative for hotjoin arenas, where you would get many more points for taking or holding objectives against overwhelming odds than you would from plinking as many enemies as possible from afar while following a zerg. And less points for piling on in a 5 v 2 situation.

Check damage source’s on player that dies, hit by 5 players in last 10 seconds, score is divided amongst those 5 players (2 points each)

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

in PvP

Posted by: dejay.2598

dejay.2598

The secret to max rank points every match is Kaypud’s 10v10 Beach Brawl. How I miss the good times.

:)

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

There used to be a Gasm glory farm server too, not sure where that went T_T

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

in PvP

Posted by: Axis.1085

Axis.1085

Who is on top and who is on bottom in hotjoin doesnt mean nesseserly how well they played the game since its depends on the role of the class and the way its played (you will rearly see a guardian on top)

A good, experianced player may also hold a point and protect it alone and thus let the rest of the team fight on the other points. At the end the good player maybe scored very little points and is on bottom, but it was actually he who won the game for the team.

If you see a higher ranked player (R40+) at the bottom in hot join then either he a) joined the game late or b) he played the game as its played in tournaments.

in PvP

Posted by: Mammoth.1975

Mammoth.1975

You’re grinding so your gear looks better while you grind.

If you’re not playing to win, don’t complain when you lose.

in PvP

Posted by: kito.1827

kito.1827

in case of learn to play / teach new players how to play correctly / etc, etc, hotjoin is just a pain in the kitten and i have no clue why it still exists.

i know that a lot of people are playing it and so it counts as popular, sure it may be fun for some players.
just for the sake of the beloved game and its healthy population remove hotjoin as stated so many times by so many players for so many good reasons.

pls anet

<3

Karl Otik
no gutz no glory
“Tranquility has a beard.”

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

Just want to show you how bad the tournament system is and how all the pro’s aka people that attend sotg (they don’t invite newbies or solo que’ers, so they get bad feedback) abuse the hotjoin rank points.

Well okay its not all of them but a couple of them that want to be higher ranks than others. As you can see 2 leaderboard pictures one from today and the other from 26 days ago…
As you can see Dreamer, Synti, Doggie, Kaypud, Borisisgod, DoReMi, MRTIME all played under 5 games out of 26 days worth, the most games played was by Follidus, it shows that Team Sleepy still remains comepetitive in the NA due to still playing tournaments but I know those guys that played under 5 games don’t care about tournament system because it is indeed uncompetitive system and doesn’t really give you any fame (by announcing your on a massive winstreak to everyone in GW2 and what not) and the only fame you get in game is by being a super high rank, so I have no doubt in my mind those guys are farming hotjoins to get super high ranks.

If you see Versaint blah blah in hotjoin you’d better join his team because if you don’t your going to get farmed by him.

I don’t got anything against those guys, but it just shows how bad the current tournament system is. I’m not going to blame the leaderboards for being bad and whatnot if you fix the tournament it will fix the leaderboards. People shouldn’t just be playing 1 tournament game just to stay in top 25 on leaderboard, as of right now GW2 has the worst tournaments in history this isn’t even a tournament at all, people should be playing in a real tournament not this terrible GW2 tpvp desgin because they’re suppose competitive and fameworthy as what a tournament should be, GW1 tournaments were fameworthy, I’m not saying you gotta have same modes as GW1, I’m just saying you gotta announce it to whole game that this team won its 5th tournament in a row, note I said tournament not 5th game.

Also don’t tell me those guys been getting ready for the pax tournament because the best way to get ready for a tournament when your at there skill level is continually beat other teams in tournament games. 1 game in 26 days yahhhh somebody is just chilling on top 25, no wonder why when you lose you go down faster because most of the top 25 hardly even play at all. I have respect for team sleepy, I can see that they are playing the touraments, they continue to show they deserve and are a real top 25 leaderboard player. Also got respect for jumper, I don’t know who he playingwith but he got a 25 win streak in 26 days… That’s what I call having a good friends list and know who and who not to play with.

Theres issues with hotjoins but one of the biggest issues is extremely poor tournament design which pushes the professionals to play hotjoin games and they clearly influence good players to stack on there team so they can easily crush the newbs into never playing gw2 pvp because they are being dominated spawn after spawn game after game.

Lastly, the hotjoin farming doesn’t happen in only game like that kaypud 10v10 one (I’ve never knowed about it until now to be honest), it happens in regular games, so don’t get the confusion that it doesn’t happen in regular hotjoin games because my pics are of regular hotjoin game.

Attachments:

(edited by uberkingkong.8041)