Getting into top10 in soloQ is like luck?

in PvP

Posted by: Kitt.2567

Kitt.2567

Hi.
Personally my best rank I hit so far is top20 in soloQ.
After that I have usually been rotating between top20~50. (on lucky day I was close to 20, on a bad luck day I was close to 50 lol)
Getting into top100 was easy since I made the build that works better than builds I previously had.

But getting into top10 is very hard.
What do you guys have thought and perspective on this?
It is because I still don’t have build to get into top10 or is it just a luck?

Gimme some your idea please.
What kinda position and build I need to get into top10 in soloQ then?

Ah, luck I mean here is about getting good teammate definitely.

I really wonder what kinda builds and positions current top10 players running.. then analyze them. any1 knows builds and positions for their major classes?

Visit “http://www.twitch.tv/the_korean_gamer/profile” for best warrior builds!

(edited by Kitt.2567)

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

It is luck, I managed to get into Top5 SoloQ at one point, then found out about the better rewards and went to TeamQ….now we get no rewards in either so I don’t even bother anymore :/

But all in all, I ran a non-meta warrior, just roaming and pinging out locations was enough to secure wins.

Builds are one thing, especially given how out of control some are (decap engi), but alot of your success will be based on how you are able to control and monitor the enemies movements.

Proper node rotation and keeping your teams points in outnumbering situations will allow more freedom of movement for your team, and as long as they aren’t pants-on-head dumb, should be able to maintain proper zoning.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in PvP

Posted by: Zirith.6429

Zirith.6429

Probably like 30% luck 70% being war/engy, honestly, it was really easy at one point but really slow, I got to top 50 then won like 12 games in a row and only got to 30th because the queue times were 12 min long and I was making almost no progress, the best way is to actually beat the people above you but that barely ever happens due to inactivity.

And ya, If you get like 2 noobs and the other team has no noobs you are probably going to lose, one game I got 24 kills in 8 min and still lost because 2 of the ppl on my team were basically afk (run to node, do nothing, die)

in PvP

Posted by: JinDaVikk.7291

JinDaVikk.7291

95 percent build related (decap engi hambow etc) 5 percent luck and time. Eventually you will get there. 4v5’s will happen and ruin it though. COUGH ANET FIX COUGH

Team Radioactive
Crysis, Lil Damage, Ovi, Jindavikk, Guard
Causing cancer all day.

in PvP

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

It really has nothing to do with luck. Yeah you might get unlucky sometimes and have 4v5 matches, but you should be able to get your rank back up quickly enough if you are good, and have a good build of course

in PvP

Posted by: Abazigal.3679

Abazigal.3679

How do u explain #1 has only 20 wins and 11 loses if this isn’t luck then ?
Experience isn’t really reflected in lb, which makes it rather based on luck. And 4v5’s are making you lose too many points too..

in PvP

Posted by: Zirith.6429

Zirith.6429

Well that might not be his record since the reset, he could be 20-0 :P

in PvP

Posted by: Dwaynas Avatar.1562

Dwaynas Avatar.1562

It’s about winning against high ratet players, this will boost your MMR insanely.
I personally am staying permanently in the top 25 SoloQ if I play – when I take a break (say 1day up to 2 weeks), I dropp out of the leaderboards, and then if I play 1 match again (even if I loose) I get back to my spot – most times I hit exactly place 16.

Maybe Evan can explain this better to you, how exactly the Rating is made.

all is vain – #BelieveInKarl – #EvanForPresident

in PvP

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

1/3 Luck (Cant always avoid 4v5 or really bad inbal teammates)
1/3 Build & Carrying Ability.
1/3 Queuing Time (You can increase/decrease your odds depending on what day and time frame you queue at.)

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

in PvP

Posted by: Rickster.8752

Rickster.8752

Everytime I play on this account I go straight back to rank 1 due to no decay on the system and because when I was giving full effort in solo q on this game then I did just crush everyone with my necro. I carried so hard in team fights. But this was before decap engi was played as much, and before the thief iniative buff lowered the skill cap for them to make them all a threat.

I have another account which is in the same position. Whatever I did I just trended to the top of the leaderboards so I don’t think it was luck.

However, for the last 2+ months I have just given up completely with this game. On my lordrosicky account I just messed around with troll builds and got myself way lower in rating. And this is the only place you can have fun. Lower down in the leaderboards you get way less queue times which really does make the game more enjoyable. However, right now I have more or less quit solo q on all accounts because of decap engis.

The lack of permanent decay sucks totally. I basically can’t play on 2 of my accounts because I go straight back to where I was before I stopped playing (rank 1). I don’t want to go back to rank 1 because:

1, Queue times are insane
2, I am so much worse now than I was then so I can’t justify my rating whilst playing which sucks

So I have to play on my mess around account. Which is now how I see solo q – as a joke.

Right now the way to get ranked and stay there =
1, You have to play either decap engi, thief or warrior as these specs do whatever is needed can can carry
2, You have to be good

That is it really. Luck doesn’t come into it. Before I just gave up on this game when I was consistently top 10-20 on 3 seperate accounts then I was there because I was amazing at the game. The people who can’t take that will say solo q is luck or whatever. But the truth is if it is so easy to get to the top of solo q with a good win % then why don’t they?

Even if I try harded now I would have a terrible solo q ranking (as an active player) because I am way worse now. Which shows skill is required.

Obsidia above is probably one of the most under-rated players in game. Sure he runs OP thief but he is a good player. Way better than most of the guys on top teams. He is near the top because he is better than most people, even people on “top” teams are way worse than him, as team q revolves more around running to empty points, 1v1ing and team comp. Which all require less skill than carrying team fights/games in solo q.

Duke Henry/Henry Rank Million

Official winner of solo queue MMR leaderboards – EU

in PvP

Posted by: Kitt.2567

Kitt.2567

Well Lets see current top10 people play games or not, so if they play and then current top10 changes their positions within 2~3 days I will say it is luck otherwise it is their skills.

Visit “http://www.twitch.tv/the_korean_gamer/profile” for best warrior builds!

in PvP

Posted by: Jinx.7258

Jinx.7258

I moved 1,729 placed forward with a single win lol. Lost next game and got the 3rd place /so pro

#VoTF4Life

in PvP

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

It’s a bit of both. You have to deal with 4v5 and team comp, neither of these you can control. Sure skill plays an important, but you can only do so much. It’s very hard to remain in top 25 if you play actively. Most people will get high, then simply stop playing. Come back after a week or so, play one match, and automatically shoot back to where they were. However I really don’t blame them.

Here’s an example, I haven’t played soloq in a couple of weeks:

Attachments:

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in PvP

Posted by: Jazrak.1749

Jazrak.1749

I think many things (including luck) play a factor, like who you win against, how many games played (or lack of games played, so defaulting to higher value, if/when beating harder teams) When I just started trying the SoloQ out (had not touched it really, mostly do teamQ) I ranked very high (8th place) but as I played more games, I leveled out to what seems to be a more “real” placing (hovering between 50-200ish) Really I think getting 8th place was just a fluke due to having played so few games in the SoloQ at that point, the more games I play the better it seems to be at placing me where I belong (around 50ish to 200ish area).

>edit/added< yea 4vs5’s suck, and can really make it hard too.

Attachments:

(edited by Jazrak.1749)

in PvP

Posted by: Pyroathiest.4168

Pyroathiest.4168

Getting to a ranking within some sort of deviation is skill. Past that, it’s luck. I’d say that probably your rank +/- 100 spots or so is the range in which luck dictates where you’re placed.

in PvP

Posted by: Mrbig.8019

Mrbig.8019

if you deserve to be there, it’s really about pure luck or system abusing ( unless you really play a lot, like collero lel).

In my case, i play about 7-8 solo q each day, so if it happens that nobody is playing when i play ( since i always play at the same hours) it will mean that i’ll be matched with randoms, and my winning chance will be 50/50 no matter what ( due to pure randomness).

You can’t carry 4 people, especially on maps like temple unless you play carry builds like nec, decap engi or bunker guard ( also thief to some extent, but thieves work better in an efficient team).

yesterday i lost like 8 matches in a row because kitten happens, lol. Now i’m just back to my usual place, so if you don’t play THAT much, luck is a really big factor.

in PvP

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

I remember playing vs a guy* that was an obvious beginner. Capping empty points with 2, backpaddling, running to random spots where he shouldnt be, dieing absurdly easy etc. I mean this guy wouldve been subpar for hotjoins even. People where literally running circles around him.

So i checked his rank and he was like top 20 with 15 games played or something like that. When i talked to him he asked me why he was playing vs such experienced players. So i told him that its due to anets horrible MMR system.

What followed is that he lost like 15 in a row (mostly since he dragged his team down) and stopped playing pvp shortly after.

http://www.gw2score.com/PvP/player/Olfwen8609

(edited by Locuz.2651)

in PvP

Posted by: Bheezem.7041

Bheezem.7041

Well that might not be his record since the reset, he could be 20-0 :P

I am the rank 1 hes talking about in this post i believe, I can tell everyone here, I dedicated a crap load of time to this game when it first released and have more tourney games than I do hotjoins, that being said this was all way back before solo ladder came out, and while I did compete in top tier spvp, no I wouldnt say my “skills” are what are keeping me afloat on this leaderboard atm. My win records usually go more like win 6-9 matches and then lose 1 and tank 30 ranks. I would imagine whatever bizzarre feature is keeping me on this leaderboard has something to do with hidden match making values. I used to have competitive dreams and aspirations in this game, but most of those died when my team quit.

I dont dedicate nearly as much time to this game/leaderboard as i used to, or even compared to the other players on that board, so something is funky.