Glory - What's it worth?

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

Posted by: Albane.8367

Albane.8367

I have asked around my world and I have searched these forums and google, but I am still unable to find a purpose for Glory.

I was under the impression that Glory was to be used to purchase PvP gear, but then I realised it is only used to by new skins for sPvP gear. Hopefully, I am completely wrong and just cannot find the proper information, but I would like to clarify what I know.

There is currently only 1 way to get new gear for WvW PvP and that is through PvE content. Is this a correct statement? If so, does anyone else find this bad design?

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

Posted by: auhfel.4129

auhfel.4129

Do you even get Glory for WvW? I’ve only WvW’d a couple times, but I dont recall getting glory for WvW. Why would you be able to use sPvP accrued currency for WvW gear, which uses PvE gear anyways? Wouldn’t that be a tad bit imbalanced?

Anyways, I don’t even buy the new sPvP skins with glory. I’m only going to use it to buy chests with the express purpose of getting 20-slot bags.

maybe when I’m Dragon, I’ll gather a skin set.

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

Posted by: Kronos.4876

Kronos.4876

Its time for you to leave gearcheck mountain and to enter skill valley.

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

Albane.8367

WvW is not a PvE environment, so why does it require a PvE grind to be competitive? That is my only concern with the game. I do not like PvE beyond running everything once and doing the story. Why am I being forced to run PvE over and over in order to get gear for WvW?

We should have different options on how we get our gear, and one of them should be through PvP.

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

auhfel.4129

Can you not use the WvW gained karma / those tokens you get from it (I dont remember off top of my head) to buy gear in WvW? You can get gear from WvW… Spend your karma. Sell items that you pick up from kills. Spend your trophies.

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

Albane.8367

Its time for you to leave gearcheck mountain and to enter skill valley.

So gearcheck mountain is WvW and Skill valley is sPvP? I totally agree. But I get bored of running the same 4 capture the point over and over, and my time spent doing them should offer similar rewards to someone who spent that time farming instances.

It just makes more sense that PvP rewards come from PvP and PvE rewards come from PvE. WvW and sPvP = PvP.

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

Albane.8367

Can you not use the WvW gained karma / those tokens you get from it (I dont remember off top of my head) to buy gear in WvW? You can get gear from WvW… Spend your karma. Sell items that you pick up from kills. Spend your trophies.

You get the most Karma in WvW from doing the PvE events. This distracts from the actual WvW purpose, which is taking and controlling keeps. Because of Karma in WvW, you get larger queues of players who are going in there specifically for the PvE. Remove Karma from WvW and change all of the gear to be Glory. Two birds, one stone.

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

auhfel.4129

WvW uses PvE gear for a reason – to appease the audience that enjoys both PvE and PvP, but want to use their accrued PvE assets in PvP, so that they have a sense of worth. Unfortunately, there is another crowd who believes that PvP should not be gear based at all, so they get PvP where gear is free and balanced for all.

Anet has appeased the two major PvP audiences, gear that makes a difference and gear that doesnt make a difference, and it’s fully intended to work that way.

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

Albane.8367

How about an option to use either Glory or Karma for gear? I would much rather spend 30 hours running scenarios than 15 hours farming Orr, as long as the gear options were similar.

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

auhfel.4129

Once you start mixing that in, you make the players who did farm all their gear feel useless because other players got it with very little effort.

That would be a very difficult thing to implement and would upset a great many players.

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

Albane.8367

Your use of the word “effort” is not properly being used. The only “effort” in farming Karma is time spent. So what I am asking is, “Why not allow players the option to use Glory instead of Karma to purchase gear?” Glory is earned through the same “effort” as Karma.

I like to PvP, but I am forced to PvE in order to compete in WvW PvP? I don’t have the patience anymore to repeat the same event/instance 500x for gear. I feel as though I am being held back in WvW because I prefer to PvP and not PvE.

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

auhfel.4129

I don’t think you’ve even used glory. You only get glory for sPvP, and glory doesn’t grant you any special gear anyways. Only looks, and bags. Even if you could use glory to buy WvW gear, it would mean nothing, because you’d have to sPvP to get glory.

All you are really asking for is an easy way to get the top gear in WvW.. WvW is already known to be severely imbalanced due to level/gear differences. If you don’t want that imbalance to exist, go to sPvP, If you want to participate in WvW competitively, then start farming.

That’s the way it is. WvW is about gear and levels, so yes, you will have to grind to be good at it.

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

Albane.8367

How is farming Glory easier than farming Karma or Tokens? They are all easy to get, some easier depending on your class.

Explain this statement to me, “Even if you could use glory to buy WvW gear, it would mean nothing, because you’d have to sPvP to get glory.” Are you saying that time spent running sPvP is worthless, so the rewards should be worthless?

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

Posted by: Zogyark.4597

Zogyark.4597

What I’m wonderin about glory is the rewards of the chests, I’ve saved up all my glory so far because I simply do not like the rank 1 and rank 10 sets available and to my knowledge you can’t get the better looking gear until the higher ranks, which kind of sucks because I want to look cool.

Basically I’m aiming for the Nightmare and Corrupted PvP set but so far I’ve seen none with it and no info about it, so I assum this must be really high tier gear. So I guess I’m stuck with my glory until then eh?

Necromancer Lupicus Solo – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWkSkhmWiDU

Retired Until Expansion or Meaningful Content is Released.

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

auhfel.4129

In sPvP the rewards are worthless, they afford you zero advantage at all. In WvW, you want an advantage. you are trying to mix two systems that are strictly different, and were created to be so. Stop it.

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

Posted by: Elshagan.6342

Elshagan.6342

How is farming Glory easier than farming Karma or Tokens? They are all easy to get, some easier depending on your class.

Explain this statement to me, “Even if you could use glory to buy WvW gear, it would mean nothing, because you’d have to sPvP to get glory.” Are you saying that time spent running sPvP is worthless, so the rewards should be worthless?

Time spent running sPvP is worthless if you’re after a gear advantage. Anyway sPvP is supposed to be about skill there for all the “gear” in sPvP is equal and everyone got instant access to it.

Also the reverse is true if you’re an sPvP’r time spent in WvW is worthless if you’re just after looks to be used in sPvP since that ain’t possible.

Reason WvW share Karma and Gold with PvE is because they were assuming either people PvE lvl, WvW lvl or maybe a bit of both in which they’d earn Karma and Gold to get the gear.

While in PvE tho you got the dungeon gear you can get by farming dungeons and WvW you got badges of honor you get by farming people.

So in other words from what I understand you’re just looking for a way to avoid the current WvW zergfest and get free gear for it that lets you kill the people currently killing you most likely.

Ezrael Curzeblood: 80 Necro
Januk Monkeydoodle: 80 Engi
Knowledge is your friend: 1 of every class for sPvP except Ele.

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

Posted by: Joey.3928

Joey.3928

You can get gear from WvW. You don’t have to PvE in order to get gear for WvW.

Estel Wolfheart
Norn Ranger
Hardcorepwnograhpy [HARD] | Isle of Janthir

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

Posted by: GankSinatra.2653

GankSinatra.2653

What I’m wonderin about glory is the rewards of the chests, I’ve saved up all my glory so far because I simply do not like the rank 1 and rank 10 sets available and to my knowledge you can’t get the better looking gear until the higher ranks, which kind of sucks because I want to look cool.

Basically I’m aiming for the Nightmare and Corrupted PvP set but so far I’ve seen none with it and no info about it, so I assum this must be really high tier gear. So I guess I’m stuck with my glory until then eh?

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/55030-pvp-mystic-forge-recipes/

Yeah now that you mention it i dont see them either. Maybe its paid tournament stuff?

(edited by GankSinatra.2653)

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

Posted by: Larynx.2453

Larynx.2453

I have asked around my world and I have searched these forums and google, but I am still unable to find a purpose for Glory.

I was under the impression that Glory was to be used to purchase PvP gear, but then I realised it is only used to by new skins for sPvP gear. Hopefully, I am completely wrong and just cannot find the proper information, but I would like to clarify what I know.

There is currently only 1 way to get new gear for WvW PvP and that is through PvE content. Is this a correct statement? If so, does anyone else find this bad design?

Welcome to Guild Wars, not Gear Wars, where everyone is at equal footing.

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

Albane.8367

Except for the people who have farmed a ton of PvE content for badges and Karma, they have a huge advantage in PvP.

I was just curious if there was some form of reward that is useful for other aspects of the game, for my time spent doing sPvP. It seems I am the minority here, but I would much rather have a WvW full of people who earned their gear doing PvP than people who earned it through PvE grinds.

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

Posted by: Drivelikebrazil.3279

Drivelikebrazil.3279

Except for the people who have farmed a ton of PvE content for badges and Karma, they have a huge advantage in PvP.

I was just curious if there was some form of reward that is useful for other aspects of the game, for my time spent doing sPvP. It seems I am the minority here, but I would much rather have a WvW full of people who earned their gear doing PvP than people who earned it through PvE grinds.

I totally agree with the idea of sPvP being an alternate method of getting your WvW gear. It is definitely an inequitable situation where primary PvPers have to play a portion of the game that they don’t entirely care about just to be on equal footing in the game’s other form of PvP.

However, I think that ANet may have handled this as gracefully as they could. As it stands, people grinding in PvE for WvW gear don’t step on each others’ toes or reduce the fun of other PvE players because of the fact that grouping is encouraged and there’s no fighting over resources. This would not be the case if sPvP granted you some kind of points for WvW gear, as then we’d be joining games where people just farm. In sPvP, farming hurts everyone else who just wants to get on and play a fun game. sPvP is intentionally left without a gear grind so that we can play it just to have fun or we can have truly competitive games based on skill. People are already working to farm glory, and it’s not worth anything mechanically. Could you imagine what it would be like when people have something worth farming?

Ultimately, I agree that it sucks for PvP enthusiasts like myself, but I’d much rather sPvP be less full of farmers and more full of people playing for the fun of the game. Maybe they can work a better delivery system for the WvW specific currency so that it’s possible to gear up from that currency alone while contributing meaningfully to the battle.

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

Posted by: Dust Bunny.1652

Dust Bunny.1652

Your use of the word “effort” is not properly being used. The only “effort” in farming Karma is time spent. So what I am asking is, “Why not allow players the option to use Glory instead of Karma to purchase gear?” Glory is earned through the same “effort” as Karma.

I like to PvP, but I am forced to PvE in order to compete in WvW PvP? I don’t have the patience anymore to repeat the same event/instance 500x for gear. I feel as though I am being held back in WvW because I prefer to PvP and not PvE.

Honestly, farming glory is sPvP is easier than farming Karma, or at least at the same level.
Just go 8v8 zerg mode, use a necro, ele or other good team fighter class, aoe tag everyone. Profit.
Generally rank and glory are not accurate at all when considering the skill level of someone. Glory/rank can be farmed in random even better than in free tourney if you have the right class/build for it.
You can get to rank 40 loosing every 8v8 faster than someone winning all the 5v5 tourneys in the same amount of time.
WvW and PvE are as they should be, messy and unbalanced.

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

Posted by: LanceHavenbay.2067

LanceHavenbay.2067

They should give you a cool rank emote like in GW1.

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

Posted by: Tomahorc.9607

Tomahorc.9607

“WvW is not a PvE environment, so why does it require a PvE grind to be competitive? That is my only concern with the game. I do not like PvE beyond running everything once and doing the story. Why am I being forced to run PvE over and over in order to get gear for WvW?”

^^This

Let everyone use their SPVP gear in WvW, and you’d probably see a big increase in participation.

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

Posted by: Equivocat.8246

Equivocat.8246

So basically, if I understand this correctly, you want to upset the current working system to suit your particular needs, because you don’t want to spend the time that other people did in PvE (and/or karma and/or gold farming) to be “competitive” (air quotes because WvW is a joke) with them in a format where it’s rarely or never about individual contribution. It was said so well earlier: glory gear is worthless and doesn’t grant you an advantage, where you want an advantage in a completely separate entity.

WvW has its own pseudo-currency anyway in Badges of Honor, and still you want glory to apply?

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

Posted by: Streaks.5076

Streaks.5076

Lol… PvE’ers. WvW is PvE, there’s far too many NPC’s everywhere amongst the battlegrounds. We don’t need to use your silly PvE unfair advantage gear. We like it even where skill is the only thing tested in battle. Not some +1000 Toughness to Chest or whatever kitten stats you PvE’ers receive.

Noob – Revanent

Looking for a good guild for PoF

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

Posted by: Nargaroth.1482

Nargaroth.1482

WvW scale your itens to the top too. So theres very little advantage from gear.

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

Posted by: Zogyark.4597

Zogyark.4597

@ Naragaroth – I found that WvW enemies specially upscaled ones are too easy to beat even with my necro, I’m level 80 necro and I think it does make a difference, or WvW players are just that bad.

Necromancer Lupicus Solo – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWkSkhmWiDU

Retired Until Expansion or Meaningful Content is Released.

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

Albane.8367

I didn’t think about the consequences to the sPvP environment if more and more people began to play games to farm Glory. That would be a down side, but I would still like to have more options for Glory.

I switched servers a couple of days, because the queues on JQ were obnoxious and prevented me from playing a couple of hours of WvW every day. During this time, I was left with the choice of sPvP or PvE content while waiting. I chose sPvP to get better at PvP for WvW. This was my decision, and I see now I traded gear for skill. I am happy with my decision and in time I will have the gear to match the skill I earned.

See you guys on the battlefield.

Glory - What's it worth?

in PvP

Posted by: Scrag.8765

Scrag.8765

This is a PVE mmo so it seems. Only rewards are given for PVE. If the foolish statements about “leave gear grind mountain”, or “play for skill” have any validity then remove all rewards from PVE. Please use some sense. Bring in pvp rewards.