Good at tpvp but bad at dueling?

in PvP

Posted by: DrDivine.5378

DrDivine.5378

I honestly never really knew if this game was balanced for 1v1s/dueling, but since that september patch I have sort of inconstancy with my abilities in pvp.

When it comes to tpvp, I’m not bad. I can cap points, kill other players just fine, but when it comes to entering dueling rooms I tend to die a lot. Is the game balanced for 1v1s? Or perhaps I just need to practice more?

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

i believe the game is balanced around 5 versus 5 conquest mode ranked arena, not 1 vs 1.

in PvP

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

Many people in dueling rooms run specs that would not be very good at all for Conquest. The game is balanced around 5v5 Conquest, so there are plenty of outlier 1v1 builds that would destroy many conquest specs given unlimited time and not needing to actually defend a node.

Ranger//Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

It could just be that those people who spend a lot of time dueling are just more skilled at that style of play than you. It’s good to know your tPvP, but also useful to be able to hold your own or win 1v1s. Dueling rooms are a good place to practice your personal skill for 1v1s should you need to defend a point or maintain the neutrality during a match when allied support is unavailable for a time. A lot of people seem to have this idea, as they duel using tPvP meta builds. However, some do use builds specific for dueling - they can still be helpful to fight against, but just be aware of that fact =P.

EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780

in PvP

DrDivine.5378

It could just be that those people who spend a lot of time dueling are just more skilled at that style of play than you. It’s good to know your tPvP, but also useful to be able to hold your own or win 1v1s. Dueling rooms are a good place to practice your personal skill for 1v1s should you need to defend a point or maintain the neutrality during a match when allied support is unavailable for a time. A lot of people seem to have this idea, as they duel using tPvP meta builds. However, some do use builds specific for dueling – they can still be helpful to fight against, but just be aware of that fact =P.

Thats where im torn at lol, for example on my mesmer, if I run torment shatter or phantasms I can win 1v1s. If I go in a dueling room with double ranged shatter I tend to lose. In tpvp though, my double ranged shatter outperforms those two builds for me and even when im thrown into 1v1 situations I can win them in tpvp, but not in dueling rooms lol.

in PvP

Posted by: Benjamin.8237

Benjamin.8237

It could just be that those people who spend a lot of time dueling are just more skilled at that style of play than you. It’s good to know your tPvP, but also useful to be able to hold your own or win 1v1s. Dueling rooms are a good place to practice your personal skill for 1v1s should you need to defend a point or maintain the neutrality during a match when allied support is unavailable for a time. A lot of people seem to have this idea, as they duel using tPvP meta builds. However, some do use builds specific for dueling – they can still be helpful to fight against, but just be aware of that fact =P.

Thats where im torn at lol, for example on my mesmer, if I run torment shatter or phantasms I can win 1v1s. If I go in a dueling room with double ranged shatter I tend to lose. In tpvp though, my double ranged shatter outperforms those two builds for me and even when im thrown into 1v1 situations I can win them in tpvp, but not in dueling rooms lol.

That’s because the dueling rooms are a fair, skill based area to practice your 1v1s in. I see most people play tournament builds in there but they do so to practice it, and it has less areas to kite and control like you can on a normal map hence why it’s more about reaction times and mechanical skill.

P R I N C E | Best Renger EU
You can find me in PvP | I normally answer PMs

in PvP

Posted by: Yelloweyedemon.2860

Yelloweyedemon.2860

1v1 means something, only if it happens durina a 5v5 match, at some point/other random location. It means that with your “effective” team build, you killed someone else at your own, and got the enemy team in trouble.

1v1 custom servers, are just useless. 90% of the people playing there, use builds that are only good in 1v1 situations, and are completelly useless in normal pvp.

Even if you play bunker point holder in PvP, it would still be better to train on normal pvp rather than 1v1, because you gotta learn how to move inside the point you’re suppose to hold.

1v1 are just brainless bunker survive games.

in PvP

DrDivine.5378

That’s because the dueling rooms are a fair, skill based area to practice your 1v1s in. I see most people play tournament builds in there but they do so to practice it, and it has less areas to kite and control like you can on a normal map hence why it’s more about reaction times and mechanical skill.

I can believe that, but what about builds like double ranged where you’re supposed to kite and use phase retreat to get to hard to reach places, things are generally not allowed in dueling rooms because you are required to stay within a certain distance?

in PvP

Posted by: Benjamin.8237

Benjamin.8237

Double ranged shatter can win a lot of 1v1 matchups on the beach which is where most 1v1 servers are situated. If you’re decent at ranged mesmer you should only really be losing to thieves, meditation guards and longbow rangers.

P R I N C E | Best Renger EU
You can find me in PvP | I normally answer PMs

in PvP

DrDivine.5378

Double ranged shatter can win a lot of 1v1 matchups on the beach which is where most 1v1 servers are situated. If you’re decent at ranged mesmer you should only really be losing to thieves, meditation guards and longbow rangers.

the good news is I’ve gotten better a little bit today, Im going in only using utilities and traits I would be using in tpvp such as portal as I wanted to make the situation similar.

whenever I didn’t mess up on healing, I actually won a few, against one dps guard surprisingly. with my double range build though I kite a lot, most duels they want at close range and while I don’t hide behind or stand on top of objects, I’ll be moving backwards a lot to keep distance.

in PvP

DrDivine.5378

the good news is I’ve gotten better a little bit today, Im going in only using utilities and traits I would be using in tpvp such as portal as I wanted to make the situation similar.

whenever I didn’t mess up on healing, I actually won a few, against one dps guard surprisingly. with my double range build though I kite a lot, most duels they want at close range and while I don’t hide behind or stand on top of objects, I’ll be moving backwards a lot to keep distance.

Another issue I have is against other mesmers. The root of this problem comes from targeting. Even though I am aware which mesmer is the real one, I haven’t found a good way to change my target fast enough to get him. If I use tab it goes through all the clones first, and clicking has been a bit slow at times. Any advice on that?

in PvP

Posted by: SYPHA.9283

SYPHA.9283

Dueling rooms are useless. A bow before every match. Your opponent having time to build a counter to your build and then there isnt that unpredictable element. When running in a match you never know what will happen.

I have witnessed many duelists that are good in the 1v1 arena, get their butts handed to them in a match 1v1….because they dont have that 1 min between duels to buff up, get ready for next fight and so on.

Dueling is for kitten measuring and most have no clue wtf to do outside of the 1v1 arena.

in PvP

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

Use a dueling room that has restrictions on builds/amulets. Sounds silly at first until you enter an unregulated 1v1 server and 80% of the players are running PD thief, turret engi, hambow, celery ele, or whatever the current OP meta is.

in PvP

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

Turret engi is such a strong duel build.

Sarcasm aside, no the game isn’t balanced around 1v1, it’s a fun thing to do and require different aptitudes than conquest or teamplay. If I had to choose though, I’d take a good tpvp player in general than a good dueler. The best is being good at both.

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.9524

Archaon.9524

I honestly never really knew if this game was balanced for 1v1s/dueling, but since that september patch I have sort of inconstancy with my abilities in pvp.

When it comes to tpvp, I’m not bad. I can cap points, kill other players just fine, but when it comes to entering dueling rooms I tend to die a lot. Is the game balanced for 1v1s? Or perhaps I just need to practice more?

Most ppl in dueling servers run dueling specs that are utter crap in real world pvp, to make it even more worthless they fight on beach instead of fighting on points (Like it should be)…so you will see some terrible bs like condi mesmer and condi thief permastealthing around that would be total kitten in a proper conquest match and since celestial/ soldier are usually not allowed there rabid and zerk specs have a big advantage, there’s almost nothing reflecting “real” skills in dueling servers (Outside maybe thief vs thief since many thieves tend to use zerk meta specs in dueling too)

Pvp skill is more about proper rotations and holding points rather than winning 1v1 expecially on beach (This is an hardcounter’s game, and there ar some 1v1’s that you just CAN’T win, this is why rotations are way more important)

Anyway just remember that 1v1 should be on point (If it’s not thief vs thief)
If you can’t (At least) decap their point 1v1 in 1 minute you’re already failing…noone cares if you can win in 2 minutes, if you stay there for so long they can just rotate a thief there and you’re done. For example you can see plenty of hopeless dps rangers out there just pew pewing you 1v1 from outside point, you just kite and los them for some time, you thief rotates, ranger is dead in 10 secs, point is still yours and you’re 5v4 good to go. You don’t even need to kill ppl 1v1 if point is yours, cause if you keep them 1v1 on YOUR point you’re already winning…since on map it’s 4v4 but points are flowing on your side

Ark 2nd Account

(edited by Archaon.9524)

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.9524

Archaon.9524

Use a dueling room that has restrictions on builds/amulets. Sounds silly at first until you enter an unregulated 1v1 server and 80% of the players are running PD thief, turret engi, hambow, celery ele, or whatever the current OP meta is.

You know pvp is all about winning…ppl run meta because it’s the best for the job, noone gives a kitten about fair fighting, if you can outspec and roflstomp the other team it’s their fault for not having a proper comp. Not saying it’s not lame and kitten…i’m just saying that it’s how it works

Ark 2nd Account

in PvP

Posted by: Androlan.9487

Androlan.9487

Don’t even bother with dueling arena’s. They are a joke. If you want to get better, keep playing in real arenas. You have way too many variables in real games vs dueling arenas. Granted, its good to practice 1v1s I wouldn’t guage your “skill” on a 1v1. Like others have said, The dueling builds almost always get wrecked in a 5v5 game.

in PvP

DrDivine.5378

Don’t even bother with dueling arena’s. They are a joke. If you want to get better, keep playing in real arenas. You have way too many variables in real games vs dueling arenas. Granted, its good to practice 1v1s I wouldn’t guage your “skill” on a 1v1. Like others have said, The dueling builds almost always get wrecked in a 5v5 game.

That’s what I’m confused about,, I hear some people say dueling is a good testament of your skill in tpvp, but I find a lot of the builds used in dueling rooms lack mobility and other essential tools for a team fight. That and no element of surprise or predictability. I guess when I play an actual team, Ion’t get to switch my traits or bow before attacking, it’s whoever ambushes each other first.

in PvP

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

i would say if you are really good at dueling AND have good enough map awareness to be able to create/find as many 1v1 situations as you can in conquest, and win them quickly, then yes it can be very useful. but against a good team its incredibly hard to get a lot of situations where you get a 1v1 and win quickly before you are +1’ed. its not a reliable strategy to say the least.