Gravity Well vs Plaguelands

in PvP

Posted by: TheDevice.2751

TheDevice.2751

As far as pvp, Gravity Well is just all around better lol.

The damage is comparable even thouh GW is more power-based. The cc’s are real and almost insure the final pulse to hit.

Plaguelands pulses 4 through 8 don’t even do damage. And you take 2 stacks of bleed.

The kicker? Gravity well has 90 second cooldown while plaguelands has 120.

You tell me Anet isn’t biased as kitten XD.

in PvP

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

The damage is comparable even thouh GW is more power-based. The cc’s are real and almost insure the final pulse to hit.

Plaguelands pulses 4 through 8 don’t even do damage. And you take 2 stacks of bleed.

Plaguelands will do way more damage in a condi build if everything hits than gravity well in a power build. The reason gravity well is perceived as better is that if you get locked in it without a stunbreak or instant cast teleport then you’re free to be wailed upon for 3s which is a long time in PvP.

Drop plaguelands on a downed enemy and that guy is never getting rezzed, no way. The enemy team would have to burn too many cool downs and take too much damage.

That’s without pointing out the extremely obvious: Not all skills are designed to be equally as popular in each game mode. Dropping plaguelands in WvW before you go down or before the enemy pushes into you can result in you killing several enemy players especially with deathly chill.

in PvP

TheDevice.2751

Plaguelands will do way more damage in a condi build if everything hits than gravity well in a power build. The reason gravity well is perceived as better is that if you get locked in it without a stunbreak or instant cast teleport then you’re free to be wailed upon for 3s which is a long time in PvP.

Drop plaguelands on a downed enemy and that guy is never getting rezzed, no way. The enemy team would have to burn too many cool downs and take too much damage.

That’s without pointing out the extremely obvious: Not all skills are designed to be equally as popular in each game mode. Dropping plaguelands in WvW before you go down or before the enemy pushes into you can result in you killing several enemy players especially with deathly chill.

Funny when I’ve actually done exactly that and people still get resd lol.

EVEN IF plaguelands did more damage.. their effects are equal in power budget. The cc offsets its lack of damage. SO WHY does Plaguelands have a higher cooldown? Anyone know?

Go on. Lets hear your unbiased opinion. Why are all of necromancers kitten on high cooldowns? Oh i know… nobody at Anet plays necro XD.

(edited by TheDevice.2751)

in PvP

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

plaguelands stays longer

in PvP

TheDevice.2751

plaguelands stays longer

it lasts 6 seconds longer.

How does that account for 30 second longer cooldown?

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Trying to make ability-to-ability comparisons across classes is silly.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

TheDevice.2751

Trying to make ability-to-ability comparisons across classes is silly.

I mean fine. Don’t even compare. I get it, thats a bad idea. Why the 120 seconds though? Whats the actual reason its not 90 or somewhere around there?

in PvP

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

I think 120 seconds is a bit long for this ability. However, I notice you avoided mentioning that you can trait to reduce this skill to just over 80 seconds. Can mesmer do the same with wells?

in PvP

Posted by: MethaneGas.8357

MethaneGas.8357

In total, Plaguelands does:
-10 stacks of bleed (12 with Deathly Chill).
-9 stacks of poison.
-8 stacks of torment.
-2 burning.
Along with all the other non-damaging condis. All of that is AoE. The way the skill works is that each pulse adds a new condi ON TOP of ALLL pre-existing condis. So basically each pulse stacks more and more condis. It’s actually a very very strong skill, if used well. It can turn teamfights in your favour easily, and it can deny ressing or help you res an ally.

And no, it only gives you one bleed stack on yourself, not 2… unless you trait it, in which case you also get poisoned but not a huge deal. And if you get the trait… the cooldown becomes something like 80 secs… and it pulses for 10 secs…

It’s a good skill in sPvP.

Necro, Ele, Mesmer, Guardian and Warrior, DR[OHai]
YouTube Channel

(edited by MethaneGas.8357)

in PvP

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

As mentioned above, you can trait to make it an 80s cool down, anything lower for such a high damage AoE would be extremely broken.

Maybe if you want to talk about silly long cool downs for effects you could look at timewarp or even Moa without CS and yes I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve been moa’s and died.

in PvP

Posted by: Spoichiche.1290

Spoichiche.1290

Soo… The ventari bunker rev thread, then the conspiracy theory on ‘everyone secrectly know that necro is trash tier, but no one is saying it’ and now this?

Do you want to become a meme? Because that’s how you become a meme.

in PvP

Posted by: Rarnark.5623

Rarnark.5623

Plaguelands is not underpowered in any shape, way, or form. Please stop

Spirit Bae
Bad Boy Teenager Club [BBTC]
twitch.tv/rarnark

in PvP

TheDevice.2751

In total, Plaguelands does:
-10 stacks of bleed (12 with Deathly Chill).
-9 stacks of poison.
-8 stacks of torment.
-2 burning.
Along with all the other non-damaging condis. All of that is AoE. The way the skill works is that each pulse adds a new condi ON TOP of ALLL pre-existing condis. So basically each pulse stacks more and more condis. It’s actually a very very strong skill, if used well. It can turn teamfights in your favour easily, and it can deny ressing or help you res an ally.

And no, it only gives you one bleed stack on yourself, not 2… unless you trait it, in which case you also get poisoned but not a huge deal. And if you get the trait… the cooldown becomes something like 80 secs… and it pulses for 10 secs…

It’s a good skill in sPvP.

So since the tooltip doesn’t exactly explain it that way.. I get it now. Thank you. I am wrong, I admit it. It’s a perfectly good elite. My apologies.

in PvP

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

80 second cooldown. You should practically never take Plaguelands without Master of Corruption.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

Stepping into a necro when he has dropped plaguelands, well of corruption and when he’s landing marks on you is practically a death sentence.

in PvP

Posted by: Kadj.6725

Kadj.6725

Also, most chronos will still pick something other than Gravity Well. The biggest thing GW really has going for it is that it is the lowest cooldown for elites that mesmer has that doesn’t potentially screw over allies. It’s a good CC, but only if enemies have exhausted ALL forms of counters to it. Stun Break, Stability, free shadowsteps… It’s not even a terribly large radius.

Also, Mesmer’s primary role isn’t to be in the team fight for more than a few seconds.

So you gonna tell us Signet of Humility is more OP than Plaguelands…?

in PvP

Posted by: Troll.7854

Troll.7854

Funny when I’ve actually done exactly that and people still get resd lol.

EVEN IF plaguelands did more damage.. their effects are equal in power budget. The cc offsets its lack of damage. SO WHY does Plaguelands have a higher cooldown? Anyone know?

Go on. Lets hear your unbiased opinion. Why are all of necromancers kitten on high cooldowns? Oh i know… nobody at Anet plays necro XD.

r u retaardeed necros hav AT LEAST 3 ccs when play condi, one is staff 5 another is warnhorn 4 and if ur reaper u cleave on kittening plaguelands or even fearing away, as deathshroud u just use 5 and immob them on plague them and they full wipe. I’m legendary rank and this is what I do every match, very unbiased indeed. In fact, plaguelands is one of THE STRONGEST elites currently in gw2 due to its mass wipe potential, decap potential, down cleave potential or even epidemic potential, think before u speak lul. :P

Thane X- worst pleb NA

(edited by Troll.7854)

in PvP

Posted by: Zintrothen.1056

Zintrothen.1056

These two skills are completely different. One applies extremely high condi damage, and the other CCs and does some power damage (and not very much either). Simply put, Plaguelands has more potential power long terms, even though GW has some power in the short term. In terms of area denial strength, I’d much rather be hit by GW than Plaguelands.

And if with more analysis we can somehow come to the conclusion that GW is more powerful, then we’ll just use the good ol’ elite spec vs baseline skills argument.

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

The skills differ and it is useless to directly compare. But if you have to:

They both offer set up, cover for damage, or cover for stomps.

Yes, the duration condones the cooldown. Many effects in the game with a duration of 3 seconds can have a cool down upwards of 30 seconds, and we’re adding 6-7.

The nature of condi nec and power mes (the builds that arguably benefit most from these elites) being taken into account also justifies the duration and cooldowns of both, and how much control over a point a class/build is given. Also given the average for how long each one will stay on point, or in what way they will contribute to a team fight.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

in PvP

Posted by: Huskyboy.1053

Huskyboy.1053

Stepping into a necro when he has dropped plaguelands, well of corruption and when he’s landing marks on you is practically a death sentence.

kitten someone figured out my secret. So many peeps ignore the red circle and I just dodge around inside it.

in PvP

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

80 second cooldown. You should practically never take Plaguelands without Master of Corruption.

I don’t use it in PvP. I use Path of Corruption. Only because it synergizes better with my build and the only Corruption skill I use is Plaguelands.

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Velar.1509

Lord Velar.1509

I wouldn’t say that gravity well is better….at all…..

I run a condi necros from time to time which means 9/10, I already have condis eating away at you, now more specifically for melee or if its a group fight or I’m about to be downed Ill cast PL, anyone dumb enough to try and finish me up close gets ripped apart, anyone not paying attention is going to get eaten alive.

Plague lands is extremely powerful if utilized correctly, I use it especially for thieves, teef can step back and shoot with his pistol all he wants but he has two options, do that and play his luck that I don’t condi bomb him (I usually do anyway) or step near me while pl is active and get bombed that way

As for a couple conditions not being damage dealers I’m fine with that because at that point with the condis its already stacked you don’t need damage and the blind etc come in handy

Lastly, these are two different class abilities meant to do different things in different situations with different utility

It’s extremely stupid to compare them, however saying that PL is bad in comparison is worthy of a response

in PvP

Posted by: SuperduperMLGbsns.9345

SuperduperMLGbsns.9345

Actually Ive never seen anyone using Plague lands in PvP. Most seem to stick with Chill to the Bones and Personally I also wouldnt pick it as well.

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.

in PvP

Posted by: LouWolfskin.3492

LouWolfskin.3492

I play on a core build with plague lands and it works just fine.

in PvP

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

plaguelands stays longer

it lasts 6 seconds longer.

How does that account for 30 second longer cooldown?

It lasts 3x as long as gravity well does. 300% longer AoE field, which stacks an increasing number of conditions on each tick. 30 measly seconds for an AoE that lasts 3x as long is completely justified, not to mention gravity well cannot be traited to reduce its CD, but plaguelands can

in PvP

Posted by: Kadj.6725

Kadj.6725

not to mention gravity well cannot be traited to reduce its CD, but plaguelands can

I’m not really taking the opposing side here, but just to point out, chronos can fire two Grav Wells off every 90 seconds via CS.

Which really just again cements how incomparable the two are…

in PvP

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

2 gravity wells every 90 seconds, at the expense of losing CS and the other plays you could possibly make with it. Its a fair tradeoff, and again, that’s still only 6 seconds total of GW over those 90 seconds, compared to 10 second duration of plaguelands. There really isn’t any sense in trying to say that 1 is objectively better than the other in all situations. But plaguelands definitely has a very high uptime compared to GW.

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Velar.1509

Lord Velar.1509

Plague Lands is a condi reaper ability, stepping on plague land well being used by a condi necros will easily cut your health in half little time, all of its abilities doesn’t need to do damage cause the ones that do stack and are still effected from boons. With the right amulet and rune, even an ele is dead if theyre dumb enough to stand still that long