Guard traps and Ranger traps

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

Can Rangers also have nice traps, pretty please?

in PvP

Posted by: Random Weird Guy.3528

Random Weird Guy.3528

Someone’s clearly never been to WvW.

Random Engineering // Trixxti // Random Noises (worst thief eu)
Svanir Appreciation Society [SAS]

in PvP

Posted by: HEDRO.2345

HEDRO.2345

Well I wasn’t going start another thread but if there is already one going….

The Guardian trap heal only lasts for one minute on the ground.
According to.. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2015-09-29
Traps have been normalized to last for 5 minutes before expiring.

After testing the ranger trap heal, it seems the guardian trap heal is the only inconsistant one.

in PvP

Yasha.5963

I am talking about spvp. I forgot they merged the WvW and spvp forum.

in PvP

Posted by: Random Weird Guy.3528

Random Weird Guy.3528

It’s the same traps.

Random Engineering // Trixxti // Random Noises (worst thief eu)
Svanir Appreciation Society [SAS]

in PvP

Yasha.5963

It’s the same traps.

Yeah same traps but WvW has food and so forth so balance is often different to spvp.

in PvP

Yasha.5963

In spvp it just seems like the new guard traps are way more powerful than the ranger traps. They can pretty much instantly kill you even if you have stun breaks and high toughness. There is also an elite trap which ranger doesn’t have.

in PvP

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

also dont forget ranger traps are condi duration based for nearly all its damage , with food reduced to 20% duration you’d need Trappers expertise(50% duration) + hidden barbs(20% more bleed damage) and atleast 1.4k condi damage , not done yet to regain the lost 20% duration / hidden barb scaling on spike trap you’ll need extra Duration ether vipers gear or a Givers weapon+ sigil of Agony (20% longer bleeds) or use Krait runes.

Traps got weaker on ranger and need More investment than before.

they also don’t have Utility effects apart from a single use KD on spike trap.
Frost trap should daze / freeze
fire trap should change to smokesfield now we have a Fire wyvern + already have bonfire, or fire trap should cause blind.
Poison trap ironicly is pretty perfect.

(edited by Zenos Osgorma.2936)

in PvP

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Ranger traps are condition based, DH traps are dmg based. You can’t compare apples and oranges.

in PvP

Posted by: Pink Ninja Man.4375

Pink Ninja Man.4375

Ranger traps are condition based, DH traps are damage based. You can’t compare apples and oranges.

I don’t think the problem is the damage. Is the utility you get from them. Dragonhunter has a stun-breaker, most of their traps give boons on trigger. Dragonhunter has 2 instant cast traps rangers are all .5 seconds like the remaining Dragonhunter traps. The only trap that rangers have the provides some utility is the spike trap with the knockdown. When Dragonhunter traits into traps they get the same 20% cooldown but Dragonhunter gets a daze where rangers get a cripple (man if rangers got a daze the synergy with the daze train would be 10/10). Also as mentioned no elite trap for rangers.

Healing spring and spike trap a in good spots, give the other traps a bit more utility. Maybe make the cripple on trigger a bit stronger in some way (add another effect or change it to daze). Give boons on trigger of ranger traps: might for flame, protection for frost, resistance for poison, stability for spike. Add an elite ranger trap (or make new survival and use entangling roots as a trap, it kinda fits well as a trap and is also good for conditions like traps). Make one of the traps a stun-breaker.

It’s nice to see that traps for Dragonhuters feel more like traps, if you can ‘bait’ someone to run over them they are going to get punished for it and they will be rewarded. Would be nice to see some love for the existing traps (ranger and theif) to feel this way as well.

Note traps might need some sort of on point balance in the future because it’s easy to force someone on your traps when they have to run on them to capture a point. However if they make them balanced on point they will be relatively useless elsewhere in the game. Then again you can say the same about regular AoE abilities and capture points.

Twitch – PinkNinjaMan [/\///\/_//\]
Main Class – Ranger [Bezerker/Trapper Hybrid]
Main Mode – WvW [Gate of Madness]

in PvP

Posted by: ghost.3208

ghost.3208

I don’t think the problem is the damage.

I know it’s my fault for being zerker on PvP, but I was walking very calmly to mid in order to capture it “literally no foes or allies on the point” then to my surprise I triggered one of those traps (not sure if there were more stacked) and got insta-downed lol

I would say that served the purpose of the trap, but god kitten even on zerker getting insta-downed with a trap is ridiculous, I would had expected two hits to at least have chance to evade lol

Gliradda – The Lil Death – Too Drunk to Aim
Guerreros de la Ultima Alianza [GDUA]
#TeamKiel #TeamPrecipice

in PvP

Pink Ninja Man.4375

I don’t think the problem is the damage.

I know it’s my fault for being zerker on PvP, but I was walking very calmly to mid in order to capture it “literally no foes or allies on the point” then to my surprise I triggered one of those traps (not sure if there were more stacked) and got insta-downed lol

I would say that served the purpose of the trap, but god kitten even on zerker getting insta-downed with a trap is ridiculous, I would had expected two hits to at least have chance to evade lol

I mean the problem with ranger traps, my bad for not being clear. Ranger trap damage (as conditions) is fine, they could just use some utility. Dragonhunter traps may need a little damage reduction. As in all cases numbers can be tuned to balance I was trying to focus more on what traps bring for Dragonhunter vs Ranger (I think Thiefs are in a similar boat to rangers not 100% sure though I haven’t played much Thief).

in PvP

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

Flame trap is fine, Spike Trap is a bit high cd but also kind of okay. Viper’s Nest needs to strip boons or something like that. Frost Trap needs a complete rework.

in PvP

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

Ranger traps are condition based, DH traps are damage based. You can’t compare apples and oranges.

I don’t think the problem is the damage. Is the utility you get from them. Dragonhunter has a stun-breaker, most of their traps give boons on trigger. Dragonhunter has 2 instant cast traps rangers are all .5 seconds like the remaining Dragonhunter traps. The only trap that rangers have the provides some utility is the spike trap with the knockdown. When Dragonhunter traits into traps they get the same 20% cooldown but Dragonhunter gets a daze where rangers get a cripple (man if rangers got a daze the synergy with the daze train would be 10/10). Also as mentioned no elite trap for rangers.

Healing spring and spike trap a in good spots, give the other traps a bit more utility. Maybe make the cripple on trigger a bit stronger in some way (add another effect or change it to daze). Give boons on trigger of ranger traps: might for flame, protection for frost, resistance for poison, stability for spike. Add an elite ranger trap (or make new survival and use entangling roots as a trap, it kinda fits well as a trap and is also good for conditions like traps). Make one of the traps a stun-breaker.

It’s nice to see that traps for Dragonhuters feel more like traps, if you can ‘bait’ someone to run over them they are going to get punished for it and they will be rewarded. Would be nice to see some love for the existing traps (ranger and theif) to feel this way as well.

Note traps might need some sort of on point balance in the future because it’s easy to force someone on your traps when they have to run on them to capture a point. However if they make them balanced on point they will be relatively useless elsewhere in the game. Then again you can say the same about regular AoE abilities and capture points.

^sounds like legit suggestions for the ranger traps. I’d make a pulsing cripple trap elite for rangers that applies the prot/resist. Have frost grant regen. For the poison trap, give it a special effect that turns all healing the enemy does into extra damage so they can’t just panic heal and keep smacking away at you. Its about time anet started pushing their own boundaries and started giving classes more special effects instead of just giving everyone the same kitten with different twists.

in PvP

Posted by: zone.1073

zone.1073

I don’t think the problem is the damage. Is the utility you get from them.

The utility in ranger traps is the recharge. The shortest ranger trap recharge is 12 seconds. The shortest DH trap recharge is 24 seconds.

Combined with this: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Rune_of_the_Trapper

And rangers have all the utility they need.

in PvP

Posted by: glaphen.5230

glaphen.5230

I don’t think the problem is the damage. Is the utility you get from them.

The utility in ranger traps is the recharge. The shortest ranger trap recharge is 12 seconds. The shortest DH trap recharge is 24 seconds.

Combined with this: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Rune_of_the_Trapper

Shortest is 20 seconds on https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Procession_of_Blades Test of Faith has 24 but it lasts 8 seconds and gives 6 seconds of protection, Fragments of Faith has 36 but it can be used twice with the trait, also comes with an elite that Rangers don’t have and has the longest CC in the game that can’t be stun breaked or condition removed besides their longbow 5 with the same one and all traps come with 1 second daze.

in PvP

Pink Ninja Man.4375

… and Dragonhunters can use those runes too. The trap cooldowns between the classes are close, but I would agree Rangers are lower however Dragonhunter gets an elite to fill in the gap and doesn’t have to slot a different utility for a stun-breaker or for stability.

Edit: Messed up the quote >_<

in PvP

Zenos Osgorma.2936

ya right now , a set of ranger traps can not down someone unless they wait 3-5seconds and get condi wiped.

unlike DH traps which just Trigger and do massive Damage you can not react to somthing that has already happened plus the one shot combo traps DH has are also Unblockable so they are effectively Much better at killing targets with Very little counter measures and a hard area to escape from as leaving the ring from test of faith at 50% hp Will get you killed as DH aslo as what we rangers call a LB with a 4second cooldown high powered Stability granting Trueshot so ya we can;t even interrupt to counter on that point.

Straight up DH LB trapper Beats Ranger LB or SB trapper bue to boons/Utilities and lots of Aegis.

in PvP

Posted by: Gabriell.4856

Gabriell.4856

kitten. Can thief have it too?

in PvP

Zenos Osgorma.2936

… and Dragonhunters can use those runes too. The trap cooldowns between the classes are close, but I would agree Rangers are lower however Dragonhunter gets an elite to fill in the gap and doesn’t have to slot a different utility for a stun-breaker or for stability.

Edit: Messed up the quote >_<

Just pointing out the utility of ranger traps. 3 seconds of stealth, and 3 seconds of super speed on 12 and 16 second cooldown is good utility.

when it comes to Balancing things , i’d discount any Runes as those are bonuses not somthing that is taken to make somthing viable.

in PvP

Yasha.5963

So after playing more, all I can say is wow, just wow. The DH is basically a super-trap ranger.

Here are some of the utilities DH traps come with on top of (possibly) doing more damage than ranger traps:

Daze, stability, blind, swiftness, vulnerability, stun break, instant cast traps, revealed, protection, fury, slow, ageis, cripple, might, and instant high damage (instead of condi over time)- enough to “one shot” my ranger running rabid (high toughness) and a protection trait.

A ranger’s offensive traps can be traited to cripple, that’s it. If you run with trap ranger you get no other utility.

Then you have the synergy built into DH such as an 1200 instant cast unblockable pull and a trait that procs knockback every 10 secs AND grants stability on ANY longbow attack. And the fact that a DH has a trap ultimate so a DH trapper can benefit from trap traits (CD reduction daze etc), while a ranger has to take a grand master trait in a different tree for the ultimate that synergizes best with traps (entangle).

Imo from the perspective of SPVP, base class specializations need to be reworked to increase synergy and bring the power up to the level of the new specs or its hardly worth running them.

In the case of ranger, the pew-pew LB/GS version still works well thanks to the prior LB buffs (stealth/KB etc) and a few other changes, but now the role of trapper is completely eclipsed by DH, and I am sure many would agree that some of the other new specs are even MORE powerful than DH.

in PvP

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

Ranger traps give good condition damage, but they are in dire need of secondary utilities linked to them.

in PvP

Posted by: Kovu.7560

Kovu.7560

Burn trap is fine.
The other three utility traps need reductions in their base cooldowns of about 25%, or other effects. The chill trap is absolute garbage, I’ve never seen anyone run it.

I’d also reverse the effects of Glyph of the Tides so you have a non CA option to pull enemies towards you while trying to maximize the effects of your traps. Usually while in CA you want enemies to kitten off a moment so you can heal without being cc’d, anyway.

My two cents.

~ Kovu

Charr Ranger, Necromancer, Thief
Fort Aspenwood. [CREW], [TLC], [ShW], [UNIV]

(edited by Kovu.7560)

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

spike trap, snake trap and fire trap, stack them up and watch your enemy melt in 3 seconds.
plus they all have really short CDs
when they fix the bug thats stopping Ancient Seed from proccing off Spike Trap it will be a truly terrifying combo, immobilized with a massive stack of bleeds ontop of 3 traps

in PvP

Yasha.5963

spike trap, snake trap and fire trap, stack them up and watch your enemy melt in 3 seconds.
plus they all have really short CDs
when they fix the bug thats stopping Ancient Seed from proccing off Spike Trap it will be a truly terrifying combo, immobilized with a massive stack of bleeds ontop of 3 traps

It is nothing compared to DH traps, and I don’t know why people keep talking about non-spvp related issues here.

in PvP

Posted by: triggerhappy.3871

triggerhappy.3871

Buff short bow range first.

in PvP

Yasha.5963

Well I wasn’t going start another thread but if there is already one going….

The Guardian trap heal only lasts for one minute on the ground.
According to.. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2015-09-29
Traps have been normalized to last for 5 minutes before expiring.

After testing the ranger trap heal, it seems the guardian trap heal is the only inconsistant one.

How does the DH heal trap work?

Is this guy saying the guard can lay a Purification trap, get the initial heal, and then have the trap active for up to 1 min and if someone walks on it during that 1 min they get the secondary heal and be able to potentially cast it again straight away if the CD is up?

in PvP

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

Exactly.

/15char

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

That’s how all traps currently work. The CD starts on trap setting, not trap activation. It allows a trap user to set up their trap immediately after it is triggered if enough time has passed. In other words, a trap user is rewarded for setting up their traps before hand and not by triggering them immediately after they are off cooldown, which is what most people in this forum are complaining about when it comes to DH using judge’s intervention to drop traps from 1,200 range.

in PvP

Yasha.5963

That’s how all traps currently work. The CD starts on trap setting, not trap activation. It allows a trap user to set up their trap immediately after it is triggered if enough time has passed. In other words, a trap user is rewarded for setting up their traps before hand and not by triggering them immediately after they are off cooldown, which is what most people in this forum are complaining about when it comes to DH using judge’s intervention to drop traps from 1,200 range.

What are you referring to? The ranger’s heal trap certainty doesn’t work like the way I described the DH trap.

in PvP

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

What are you referring to? The ranger’s heal trap certainty doesn’t work like the way I described the DH trap.

It does.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in PvP

Yasha.5963

It does.

No it doesn’t. A ranger’s heal trap heals when cast-if you have taken damage. If you are at full health when cast, it appears on the ground as a “trap”, but if you later step on it for a heal when you get damaged it does not trigger the heal.

in PvP

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

It does.

No it doesn’t. A ranger’s heal trap heals when cast-if you have taken damage. If you are at full health when cast, it appears on the ground as a “trap”, but if you later step on it for a heal when you get damaged it does not trigger the heal.

That’s because if you cast it when at full health, you actually “wasted” the healing part on yourself. Believe me, I was confused about this for a while as well.

The only thing that the actual “trap” of healing spring provides, is the condition cleanse, the regen and the water field, not the actual healing because that part, like I said, is cast the moment you use the skill.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in PvP

Yasha.5963

It does.

That’s because if you cast it when at full health, you actually “wasted” the healing part on yourself. Believe me, I was confused about this for a while as well.

The only thing that the actual “trap” of healing spring provides, is the condition cleanse, the regen and the water field, not the actual healing because that part, like I said, is cast the moment you use the skill.

I am not confused about it, I am trying to clarify the difference between this trap and the DH version.

As I understand it, the DH trap triggers the main part of the heal once an enemy steps on it, so it could be used to give a double heal, unlike the ranger trap. At any rate, the two traps work quite differently.

in PvP

Posted by: zone.1073

zone.1073

Yasha is correct. The two heal traps work very differently. Both traps have a small heal and a big heal.

The DH heal trap gives a small heal on cast but doesn’t give the big heal until it is triggered. The trap is actually a trap while in-combat that needs to be triggered, just like most other traps.

The ranger’s gives a big heal on cast and a small heal on cast, too, from regeneration; the trap automatically triggers on cast while in-combat. Does that make sense? On cast, the trap is activated right away while in combat and does not require a 3rd party to trigger it. It’s a “trap” by recent classification only; by design it wasn’t a trap before until recently when ANet slapped the word “trap” onto the skill’s tooltip.

(edited by zone.1073)