Guardian Trappers, create build diversity

in PvP

Posted by: bartrentenaar.8674

bartrentenaar.8674

How can it be that since like 8 months Guardian Trappers are by far the most played build and profession in PvP? Every team I’m with or against has atleast 2 of them in a party. Their damage and shutdown capabilities far exceeds any other profession, and yes of course they have their weaknesses. But I, as an other profession don’t feel like bringing 3 utility’s specifically against a trapper as it should be. How can it be that it isn’t fixed over such a long time? Are they blind or does Anet just don’t care about build diversity..?

in PvP

Posted by: GreenNekoHaunt.8527

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

I would actually say that thief damage is higher than guardian damage (from personal experience). :s
Plus there is some diversity to guardian.. I mean I’ve seen people play support guard or variations of trapper, partially only taking 1 trap.

Gamer & Developer; Playing games is part of making games! Gather experience and make games!

in PvP

Posted by: Tiefsee.3647

Tiefsee.3647

I would actually say that thief damage is higher than guardian damage (from personal experience). :s
Plus there is some diversity to guardian.. I mean I’ve seen people play support guard or variations of trapper, partially only taking 1 trap.

Only for someone who knows how to play thief, that’s the difference

in PvP

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

Those thieves that spam their staff 5 in the group deal enough damage that can be more than lethal to a guard or even a whole team when in a team fight.

Besides someone who knows how guardian plays can avoid like.. let’s say 40-60% of the damage.

Gamer & Developer; Playing games is part of making games! Gather experience and make games!

in PvP

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

Those thieves that spam their staff 5 in the group deal enough damage that can be more than lethal to a guard or even a whole team when in a team fight.

Besides someone who knows how guardian plays can avoid like.. let’s say 40-60% of the damage.

Hey man, spamming staff 5 is 0.0000001% harder that putting down traps. It should therefore have super insane damage and survivability attached to it to compensate for that increase in difficulty of use.

in PvP

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

Hey man, spamming staff 5 is 0.0000001% harder that putting down traps. It should therefore have super insane damage and survivability attached to it to compensate for that increase in difficulty of use.

Sounds like we found the scheme that’s being used..

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

guardian trappers are the most played? Maybe in bronze. in platinum, it is more common to see medi trappers, followed by symbol guards and burn guards.

Hell, full trapper guard isn’t even on metabattle. Unless that by guardian trapper, op means any guard that takes even one trap, which is a ridiculous simplification.

in PvP

Posted by: Gwaihir.1745

Gwaihir.1745

Swapping utilities based on enemy comp is a fairly core part of build diversity. Sure I can just take all my strongest utilities or I can take them because they counter the enemy team. I see no problem here.

in PvP

Posted by: oscuro.9720

oscuro.9720

If you are firing to full trap guard repeatedly, then you need to learn to kite. Full trap DH lacks sustained damage and sustain. They are a one trick pony. Just because most DH have a trap does NOT mean they are all the same build. That’s like saying all thieves use shadow step so they run the same build…
It’s this kind of thinking that makes any non-full trap DH be able to roll over people who think DH is OP…they don’t expect variation, and see a trap and assume that it’s all traps.
I run my own medi symbol build that’s slightly different than the ones on metabattle, yet I get called a trap stacking noob when i have one trap…
DH isn’t as OP as it once was. It’s been merged, but people prefer to falsely blame a class or build than accept they aren’t the best player…

in PvP

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

IMO guardians aren’t necessarily OP but they do have a certain appeal for solo queueing. They only have 1 real counter (druid), and since the sustain nerf of other classes they are both excellent 1v1ers and hold up decently in a teamfight. That makes it easier to adapt and jump in any fight you’re needed. It just gives it an advantage over quite a few other classes, like necro for example where it’s very hard to stay alive unless you’re duo queueing with an ele that knows what he’s supposed to do or an ele that can only support and is quite frankly useless when your team is unable to land any decent dmg.

How it holds up in a coordinated 5v5 scenario is another matter entirely ofc, but since there’s no new tournament on the horizon and I’m hardly the expert on that front I’ll reserve judgement on that.

Mind you this is coming from a high gold player. I have no clue how it is in legendary division as I don’t have the skill or ambition to get there.

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

A few tips to help:

1. If they have more than 2 DH, countercomp with a couple of eles with aurashare, focus, and even reflect shout if needed.

2. Engage the DH off-point. Watch how they blow CD’s and some even drop traps in random spots in a feeble attempt to just repeat what they know works on-point. Its very easy to remember where the trap is and just move the fight elsewhere, making their traps basically useless.

3. When there are traps on a point, just kite. Have a defensive skill in case you get pulled in, or save a dodge to get out.

4. If they get a point locked down with a couple guards, just out-rotate them. They are pretty slow, esp if they don’t have a team calling targets.

in PvP

Posted by: Loop.8106

Loop.8106

IMO guardians aren’t necessarily OP but they do have a certain appeal for solo queueing. They only have 1 real counter (druid)

This is plain out wrong. DH’s gets absolutly destroyed by Scrappers aswell as eles. Even revs stand a pretty good chance vs DH’s.

Optimise [OP]

in PvP

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

IMO guardians aren’t necessarily OP but they do have a certain appeal for solo queueing. They only have 1 real counter (druid)

This is plain out wrong. DH’s gets absolutly destroyed by Scrappers aswell as eles. Even revs stand a pretty good chance vs DH’s.

The issue is though, when you have 3 to 4 of them on the same team you can’t really counter them at all. Scrapper and Ele both would struggle on DH when you have to keep track of 3 or 4 of them with spears and traps.