Guide new players to hot joins

in PvP

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

A few times I’ve noticed brand new players in team tournament matches. These are not second accounts but are self-admitted new players. The reaction of the rest of the team is usually very negative, involves swearing, and generally not a good introduction for the game.

Obviously there is cause to be miffed as these are ranked matches and nobody wants to be at such an obvious disadvantage. I try to be more helpful however, whispering these new players and directing them how to get to hot joins and maybe give them a few playing tips.

I shouldn’t really have to do that though, the game should do it. It should be made more clear that tournaments are ranked matches and more direction given to new players. Perhaps have a confirmation popup for any rank 1s attempting to join tournaments?

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

in PvP

Posted by: Sensotix.4106

Sensotix.4106

I am currently working on a video series to show people the basics of pvp how to tpvp advanced tactics..build guides and yea everything u need to know about pvp actually

in PvP

Posted by: Leadfoot.9071

Leadfoot.9071

I don’t think some of the really new players (<10 glory rank) even know what they are doing. They just join it not realizing it’s a rated tournament where a lot of the people in there care about winning. I think if they knew that hot join was a better place to “learn” (even though this really isn’t even true at all – which is a whole other problem) then they might not join tournaments and go learn how to play there class in hot join. These people often just run around the middle and have no concept of capturing points but are more focused on trying to fight people because their main goal is to figure out how to fight other players, which is reasonable for a brand new pvper I think – it just sucks for more experienced people to get stuck with them in rated matches.

Making video guides is fine, but I think a lot of these people don’t come to the forums or research things on the internet – they just go into the game where there is little information about what they should or should not be doing.

in PvP

Posted by: Mrbig.8019

Mrbig.8019

i’m happy threads like this are popping out everywhere.

This game gives no clue about how new players should play, Hotojoin is terrible and doesn’t give you the necessary informations and capabilities to be good in ranked matches.

They should re-do the system and give players some kind of tutorials, like in LoL.

in PvP

Nabrok.9023

I don’t think some of the really new players (<10 glory rank) even know what they are doing. They just join it not realizing it’s a rated tournament where a lot of the people in there care about winning. I think if they knew that hot join was a better place to “learn” (even though this really isn’t even true at all – which is a whole other problem) then they might not join tournaments and go learn how to play there class in hot join. These people often just run around the middle and have no concept of capturing points but are more focused on trying to fight people because their main goal is to figure out how to fight other players, which is reasonable for a brand new pvper I think – it just sucks for more experienced people to get stuck with them in rated matches.

Making video guides is fine, but I think a lot of these people don’t come to the forums or research things on the internet – they just go into the game where there is little information about what they should or should not be doing.

Exactly, these people are there because they found tournaments before they found hot joins. When I talk to them they are usually very apologetic and appreciative of somebody telling them where they should go.

We could argue on how well hot joins teach the game, but a 5v5 isn’t really all that different from a tournament match that isn’t two pre-mades, and it gives a place to learn class and builds as well as the game mechanics. Strategy and tactics can come later.

All classes

in PvP

Posted by: Oxygen.5918

Oxygen.5918

The problem is that the first thing you see when you join the mists is the tournament queue, not hotjoin queue.

The fact that you can queue before even reaching rank 10 is absolutely beyond me.

I was the best at burning things. Especially bosses that
didn’t move.

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

I think new players should do tournaments. It’s unfortunate if a new player gets put in the same match as some really experienced players, but that’s a matchmaking/population problem, not his fault. I’d rather see new players in something other than loljoin because they’re more likely to stay and improve.

I care about winning too, but if I lose one out of every X matches because I had an inexperienced teammate, that’s okay. I’ve lost matches because a r50 insisted on dueling at far point all match, a r45 insisted on wearing no armor, and because the enemy team sync queued and was on VoIP. Those things are way more frustrating than getting one new player on your team, but it’s part of solo queue. Sometimes their team will be better than yours.

in PvP

Nabrok.9023

I think new players should do tournaments. It’s unfortunate if a new player gets put in the same match as some really experienced players, but that’s a matchmaking/population problem, not his fault. I’d rather see new players in something other than loljoin because they’re more likely to stay and improve.

They’re not going to stay and improve when their introduction to the game is people telling them to “gtfo noob”.

They’ll play one or two games and never come back.

For all its faults, hot join is a place where you can play for a bit and nobody cares that much if you win or lose.

I do agree that 8v8s should be avoided at all costs, but 5v5s are fine.

Oh, also I’m not really talking about solo queue. I’m talking about team queue. You can still queue up for it by yourself.

All classes

(edited by Nabrok.9023)

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

They’re not going to stay and improve when their introduction to the game is people telling them to “gtfo noob”.

They’ll play one or two games and never come back.

For all its faults, hot join is a place where you can play for a bit and nobody cares that much if you win or lose.

I do agree that 8v8s should be avoided at all costs, but 5v5s are fine.

Oh, also I’m not really talking about solo queue. I’m talking about team queue. You can still queue up for it by yourself.

Oh, I didn’t realize we were talking about new players in team queues. Yeah I can see how that would be a little weird.

in PvP

Nabrok.9023

ok, I’m done with team queuing with less than 5. At least until the LFG tool comes out next week.

We just queued as a group of 3 for 3 matches. Every time we got paired up with people with a rank under 5.

At the very least please move the “Game Browser” tab so that it’s above the “Arenas” tab.

All classes