Guide to winning in new SoloQ

in PvP

Posted by: Laserbolt.6731

Laserbolt.6731

This thread is for some serious and thoughtful advice on how to win games in the new soloQ games…

I know that I want to give a serious try for a place at the top of the new SoloQ leaderboards.

Top spots will be players who know strategies and who are all about helping their assigned team of strangers to maximize the chances for the win.

You might be teamed with some people who don’t have any experience yet doing anything other than follow a zerg and DPS from range. (Even higher PvP rank, who just farmed hotjoins).

I am sure there are some people with some perceptive thoughts on this and it would be great to hear from them (rather than angry people scoffing that “it’ll be all kittened up anyway, so kitten it”).

Scrapper: “Frank from Research”

(edited by Laserbolt.6731)

in PvP

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Get a lucky dice roll.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

Que with 1 or 2 of your buddies and check roster when it appears and disband if your not with them.

in PvP

Posted by: Thesilentflute.8761

Thesilentflute.8761

Stay out of hot join so you don’t pick up bad habits.

I see good ideas every day …good in theory. – Shawn Farthing
Masters in Geek Mythology
YOU ARE NOT THE INVENTOR OF WORDS!!! lol

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

Well, let’s get the “kitten it” comments out of the way first.

I plan to remain hopeful that maybe this time it won’t be random luck, and that one person will be able to make a difference through giving good suggestions to the team, and by smart supportive play based on their class strengths.

in PvP

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

This thread is for some serious thoughtful advice on how to win your games in the new soloQ games…where you might have some people who don’t have any experience yet doing anything other than follow a zerg and DPS from range.

I’m positive it still places other around your PvP level with you. So unsure of how any higher leveled players will be with inexperienced players. =/

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

tichorum,

That’s a good point. And encouraging.

in PvP

Posted by: Valkyriez.6578

Valkyriez.6578

Play balanced a d unselfish selft sustainable builds is probably a big one for me. You would want a decent mix of CC, healing, damage and mobility to cover yourself and set up kills.

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

When solo tournaments started, it was so refreshing to see people who tried to win, and not zerg for points.

Then, once the balance got out of whack with premades, soloQ people gave up and seemed to treat it like hotjoin and zerged/deathmatched because they did not feel they really had a chance to win, and they just started clusterkittening in a clump.

Hopefully now, if people feel they have a reasonable chance at winning if they play well and strategically, they will play for the win, not for the “zergpoints” towards rank. They can farm points in hotjoins.

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

Play a build that’s strong 1v1 and can bring something substantial to team fights, with reasonable mobility.

Always watch where your allies are rotating; don’t assume they’ll do the right thing and be prepared to pick up the slack and adapt if they make a bad call.

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Posted by: Tyler Chapman.1832

Tyler Chapman.1832

PvP and Balance QA Embed

Next

Few tips from me!

Basic Tips:

• Defend the capture points you have!
  • Use the map ping and drawing feature to better communicate with your team
  • Type out in /team when you have incoming and if you might need help

Advanced Tips:

• Do not push far point if an enemy is contesting it unless it is something you can beat or quickly neutralize.
  • Try to be quick to rezzing teammates who get downed, being fast at that makes a significant impact in the likelihood that player will be revived.
  • Don’t reinforce fights your team has no chance of winning, communicate and regroup!

Good luck, and try to work together!

in-game alias: Powerr
Skills and Balance/PvP Team Principal QA
Former active member of Team PZ

in PvP

Posted by: natsos.3692

natsos.3692

Play a support build and help mid-close points. A booning guardian can turn the game.

Natsos, Necromancer
Officer of Spartians GR[SPGR]
Gandara EU

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Que with 1 or 2 of your buddies and check roster when it appears and disband if your not with them.

I said this weeks ago. That they have to watch this. If this is possible then anet fail big time and the whole ladder is invalidated.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Posted by: Tyler Chapman.1832

Previous

Tyler Chapman.1832

PvP and Balance QA Embed

The roster will be hidden in Solo Q so this doesn’t happen.

in-game alias: Powerr
Skills and Balance/PvP Team Principal QA
Former active member of Team PZ

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

EXXcellent!

in PvP

Posted by: Arheundel.6451

Arheundel.6451

+100

in PvP

Posted by: Shar.3402

Shar.3402

Perfect.

Shar Teel – Elementalist
Yolo queue FTW [YOLO] – Desolation (EU)
Champion Magus, Genius

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

And there will be a penalty for leaving a match, so you can’t do that either if you are not with your buddies.

in PvP

uberkingkong.8041

And there will be a nice big penalty for leaving a match, so you can’t do that either if you are not with your buddies.

See I want to like this, but recently I been getting disconnected from game, like once every 3-5 games. I know it aint my internet connection, cuz I seen someone get disconnected with me before too! Even though its just like 1-2 mins of me trying to get back into the game.

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

How to set map points and draw lines and circles to show paths or target areas.

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

Uber,

If you want to like it, then like it until you have a reason to dislike it.

Maybe they can set an hour wait before getting back into the match if an account disconnects more than a couple of times in an hour. Yes, abusers can claim it is not their fault.

But the reply is that PvP is not allowed for people with “unstable” systems, since it is a team effort and their team needs them.

So they can go play PvE in the meantime until their hour is up.

in PvP

uberkingkong.8041

Uber,

If you want to like it, then like it until you have a reason to dislike it.

Maybe they can set an hour wait before getting back into the match if an account disconnects more than a couple of times in an hour. Yes, abusers can claim it is not their fault.

But the reply is that PvP is not allowed for people with “unstable” systems, since it is a team effort and their team needs them.

So they can go play PvE in the meantime until their hour is up.

Oh hell no I aint going to like something where I get disconnected and it makes me wait an hour. You know what, I don’t experience any disconnections outside of PvP, I don’t recall ever getting dc’ed in PvE, or in WvW matter of fact. And when someone dc’s same time I dc it sure aint our fault, GW2 needs to check there gear. Also cant remember dcing in hotjoin either, it only happens in tpvp, like 2 mins into the game, and then I get that message telling me I got disconnected then I alt f4 out because I’ll just be stuck on some black screen and I check my connection, it is good, then goes bad for 2 seconds then goes good, then it takes 1 min to load and get back into GW2.

Should be the other way around, have 2 min wait timer when someone dc’s, because not everyone ragequits and when they do its obvious, it aint like when someone dc’s.

StarCraft esports game had wait timers when people dc’ed.

(edited by uberkingkong.8041)

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

Sorry pal, you have the 1-hour sPvP penalty on your account. Better stabilize that system. It’s all in the user’s agreement that you clicked on with the latest game build.

in PvP

Posted by: Tenebrous.2451

Tenebrous.2451

Few tips from me!

Basic Tips:

Too often it seems you do not have time to type out anything. Something to make communications in hot join and SoloQ easier would be a great help. It is sometimes difficult to know what a ping means, go here, need help, etc.

I wish we could make communication macros to ask for help at your location. I did this in WoW’s Battlegrounds when I was in a pug and it helped a lot.

Thursday Tenebrous – Necro * Sunday Tenebrous – Hunter
Tenebrous Fivetree – Guardian
Zelots of Shiverpeaks (ZoS) – Northern Shiverpeaks

(edited by Tenebrous.2451)

in PvP

uberkingkong.8041

Few tips from me!

Basic Tips:

Too often it seems you do not have time to type out anything. Something to make communications in hot join and SoloQ easier would be a great help. It is sometimes difficult to know what a ping means, go here, need help, etc.

I wish we could make communication macros to ask for help at your location. I did this in WoW’s Battlegrounds when I was in a pug and it helped a lot.

They should have a new newb area that everyone attends before they can play PvP. You will go and fight where we ping. Map pings, then you do it over again. You will now have to finish someone without getting interrupted. Again. Again. You will now knockdown someone while they finish someone and then rez. Again. Again. You will now have to fight on a node and not let the enemy neut it for 1 minute. Again. Again. You will now capture a node. Again. Again. Finally you will now have to call for help by pinging the map. Again. Again. Congratulations you have passed the tutorial you are now skilled and ready to play PvP.

(edited by uberkingkong.8041)

in PvP

Posted by: Nikkle.4013

Nikkle.4013

They should have a new newb area that everyone attends before they can play tournaments. You will go and fight where we ping. Map pings, then you do it over again. You will now have to finish someone without getting interrupted. Again. Again. You will now knockdown someone while they finish someone and then rez. Again. Again. You will now have to fight on a node and not let the enemy neut it for 1 minute. Again. Again. You will now capture a node. Again. Again. Congratulations you have passed the tutorial you are now ready to face the real deal.

So bring back tutorial island but force people to complete the events before they can use the portal?

in PvP

uberkingkong.8041

They should have a new newb area that everyone attends before they can play tournaments. You will go and fight where we ping. Map pings, then you do it over again. You will now have to finish someone without getting interrupted. Again. Again. You will now knockdown someone while they finish someone and then rez. Again. Again. You will now have to fight on a node and not let the enemy neut it for 1 minute. Again. Again. You will now capture a node. Again. Again. Congratulations you have passed the tutorial you are now ready to face the real deal.

So bring back tutorial island but force people to complete the events before they can use the portal?

Yeah why not, its not like a waste of time, just got to do it once per account. If anything it teaches people to finish without getting interrupted which is a big factor in a lot of battles and knocking people down when you see someone getting finished. If people just learn how to finish properly and save someone you’ll be better off winning more games than not knowing how. You can be good in a fight but if they’re better in the downed game, they’ll win and not you. Because the numbers games will take into affect and its you vs them.

in PvP

Posted by: Juan Ignacio.8903

Juan Ignacio.8903

use some cheesy build go 1v2 / 1v3 if u die and the other 2 points are not capped by your teammates its their fault, thats how it works rigth?

in PvP

Posted by: SmoothHussler.6387

SmoothHussler.6387

Unleash a kitten-storm of profanities when you’re face tanking 3 people at mid and the rest of your team can’t cap a point or even stay alive.

Maguuma: Thug Life: [DERP][ME][PYRO] and other assorted dead guilds.

in PvP

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

My view of it is that it’l lbe mostly luck.

If you get guys doing dailies in tournaments, you’ll end up with stuff like 4 guys standing in the first capture point instead 1 standing there and 1-2 going for Svanir and the remaining ones going the other points. Then you know you probably lost.
And if dishonorable is there you can’t leave this match kitten ed to lose, so that’s the risk of the solo queue.

That’s good news. Syncing killed team arenas in GW1, as people synced their entries to get their teams into random arenas to get advantage over actual random teams, and when the got to team arenas after 25 matches, they just left and want back to syncing, as they lost the team advantage in team arenas.

GW2 has a much bigger playerbase, so I’m sure it will be fine.

But I wonder if you do something else to make sure syncing can’t happen at all.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

Bring a good Guardian with you.

in PvP

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

780 matches played, 610 are tpvp yoloq

i hate my life.

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

(edited by Lighter.5631)

in PvP

Posted by: Dufox.3150

Dufox.3150

best advise anyone could ever give is to get rid of the thought that pops inside your head when you die that sounds something like “what a noob”

wrap your mind around the concept that other people in pvp are not stupid & some even know things you dont.
then take the word “cheap” out of your vocabulary. its a disgustingly overused word that is completely and utterly false 99% of the time when people use it.

understand that everything has a counter, if you die then you simply haven’t figured out what to do when that situation comes up…or you just made a mistake.

“skill” is another word used wrong but its not an unbearable lie, it just leads people to the wrong frame of mind. “skill” is considered to be something you learn as you play the game & by playing the game you will simply get better. that is FALSE.
“skill” is and always will be a learning process that does NOT end. (id go into detail but that would require a few paragraphs & this post is long enough already^^ )

learning the game is easy…. once you break free of the prison your mind has made for itself^^.

if anyone wants to learn more, this is quite literally one of the best pieces of gaming literature on the internet & will help virtually anyone who plays competitive games. (kinda long but absolutely worth reading)

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/intermediates-guide.html

dont need a sig, im famous *#!@& :D

(edited by Dufox.3150)

in PvP

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

good stuff here!

looknig forward to geting back into tPvP, especially with these changes!

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in PvP

Posted by: Krayiss.4926

Krayiss.4926

Few tips from me!

Basic Tips:

I am usually dead by the time I finished typing my message!

“Hello my team I am inquiring that I receive help at the waterfall because it seems that a thief & mesmer are in stealth and coming at me (I just know it) How do I know it you ask? I just get the eerie feeling that I will be pounce’d on in the near future! con. And I am hoping that either the guardian and/or the rest of my team sjfhsjkdfhjeh oh kitten jesus what half my hp why aren’t my skills working oh I am still typing on no Im downed whered they go, oh stealth stomp my fear missed! ok I am just letting my team “blue” know that I failed at the waterfall and that a thief & mesmer killed me and would like to know where I should go next? … No answer ok I’ll zerg mid with the rest!"

Sadly I have yet to see my teammates respond to my plan because well, since noone seems to like typing!

Any shot at getting voice chat like WoW has?

Necro 10/30/0/0/30 7/26

in PvP

uberkingkong.8041

One of the best things is communications, letting people know 3 at mid, 2 at near… That means far is wide open.

in PvP

Laserbolt.6731

Lately I just click a “ping” onto the map when I need help. A big red flashing splash appears for a few seconds, and people notice.

in PvP

Posted by: Tenebrous.2451

Tenebrous.2451

Few tips from me!

Basic Tips:

They should have a new newb area that everyone attends before they can play PvP. You will go and fight where we ping. Map pings, then you do it over again. You will now have to finish someone without getting interrupted. Again. Again. You will now knockdown someone while they finish someone and then rez. Again. Again. You will now have to fight on a node and not let the enemy neut it for 1 minute. Again. Again. You will now capture a node. Again. Again. Finally you will now have to call for help by pinging the map. Again. Again. Congratulations you have passed the tutorial you are now skilled and ready to play PvP.

It was the op talking about typing. Sheesh.

Thursday Tenebrous – Necro * Sunday Tenebrous – Hunter
Tenebrous Fivetree – Guardian
Zelots of Shiverpeaks (ZoS) – Northern Shiverpeaks

in PvP

Posted by: KingClash.3186

KingClash.3186

I see soloQ being the new hot join at least until its shine wears off.

in PvP

Posted by: hamsteak.1368

hamsteak.1368

don’t run hotjoin builds (ie p/p thief, glasscannon 100b warrior) or builds that rely heavily on team support (ie staff ele, venom share thief, banner warrior…), you seriously cannot trust anyone to help you

if you know you have zero chance of killing the bunker/neutralizing the point, then don’t bother

if you’re a necromancer run the res signet, if you’re a warrior then run battle standard, don’t be selfish

don’t zerg mid

know what classes/specs you’re strong against and what you’re weak against

in a team fight target/focus the biggest threat damage-wise… they’re also usually the weakest defensively

be smart with your cc, for example, a rifle engineer can launch someone and then immobilize or stun them to neutralize the point

call incs, don’t be the silent guy (especially if you’re a bunker…)

if you know you’re playing a build with little defenses then don’t rush in guns blazing

if you’re downed and have virtually no chance of getting up (ie no teammates around) then don’t bother using your 2 or 4, the quicker you can get back to the waypoint, the better seeing as you aren’t helping your team at all by bleeding out on the ground

don’t try to roam if you’re a slowpoke (ie no leaps or movement skills)

edit: don’t waste dodges in combat, i see people senselessly dodging around all the time for no reason

edit 2: if can stomp without fear of dying/being cced then stomp, keep in mind that instant skills can be used while stomping (ie smoke vent, stand your ground, dolyak signet), if you have no stability/blind/aegis then dodge the 2 ability, it’s usually very obvious, either thieves (ie steal, infiltrator’s signet, shadowstep) or guardians (judge’s intervention… i’m not sure if flashing blade works though since it activates the auto attack) can stomp thieves

Auger Claw (PvE/Spvp) – Thief
Notalkingplz (PvE/Spvp) – Guardian
Rough Trade (PvE)/Urok Ashpaw (Spvp) – Engineer

(edited by hamsteak.1368)

in PvP

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

I see soloQ being the new hot join at least until its shine wears off.

And it should be. Because this way new players can improve, learn and make some progress as they get better and better.

Currently, they go to hotjoin, grind rank, can earn r80 faster than from tournaments and will still play like r1 PvE dudes.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in PvP

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

Try to hold 2 points, pushing to the 3rd can be risky, but if you are losing a teamfight, decapping the farpoint can win you time.

To newbies: don’t capture an empty node together. You are no longer in hotjoin.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in PvP

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

The biggest tip I can give is to talk out strategy with your team. That phase before the battle begins, discuss things.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

in PvP

Posted by: Mammoth.1975

Mammoth.1975

Few tips from me!

Basic Tips:

I am usually dead by the time I finished typing my message!

“Hello my team I am inquiring that I receive help at the waterfall because it seems that a thief & mesmer are in stealth and coming at me (I just know it) How do I know it you ask? I just get the eerie feeling that I will be pounce’d on in the near future! con. And I am hoping that either the guardian and/or the rest of my team sjfhsjkdfhjeh oh kitten jesus what half my hp why aren’t my skills working oh I am still typing on no Im downed whered they go, oh stealth stomp my fear missed! ok I am just letting my team “blue” know that I failed at the waterfall and that a thief & mesmer killed me and would like to know where I should go next? … No answer ok I’ll zerg mid with the rest!"

Sadly I have yet to see my teammates respond to my plan because well, since noone seems to like typing!

Any shot at getting voice chat like WoW has?

2 wf?

If you’re not playing to win, don’t complain when you lose.

in PvP

Posted by: Cyhann.2609

Cyhann.2609

Be at least rank 10-20, try out some 1 v 1 servers first, to check if your build or you can
even hold yourself at least a little, since if you get wrecked to fast you won’t do your
team a favor.

Lately I just click a “ping” onto the map when I need help. A big red flashing splash appears for a few seconds, and people notice.

The draw function is nice too, I use it to give directions by drawing arrows, and
circles, but people rarely care.

(edited by Cyhann.2609)

in PvP

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

I like playing only with my brother. So our only choise is roam/zerg thief/mesmer fest hotjoins now?

in PvP

Posted by: Cyhann.2609

Cyhann.2609

I like playing only with my brother. So our only choise is roam/zerg thief/mesmer fest hotjoins now?

Look for random people in your server, or via lfg.

in PvP

Posted by: Socram.6587

Socram.6587

The introduction of soloQ will not remove the standard teamQ. I expect that you can still queue with 2/3 man teams, but the wait times will propably be longer.
Queueing with 4 players might be useless, though, as you’ll need a solo player that entered the teamQ – which should still be possible, but who wants to do that? ;-)

in PvP

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

The introduction of soloQ will not remove the standard teamQ. I expect that you can still queue with 2/3 man teams, but the wait times will propably be longer.
Queueing with 4 players might be useless, though, as you’ll need a solo player that entered the teamQ – which should still be possible, but who wants to do that? ;-)

Interesting, if it still works like that, we will mostly face more 5 organized teams than before, our lose ratio will rise and our rating will be non existant, but we don’t care, we just want to play together, so it’s fine. Thanks for the answer.

in PvP

Posted by: Oni Link.4621

Oni Link.4621

Will the team chat be enabled before entering the arena or not? It may be VERY helpful to discuss roles before entering since we don’t have templates yet.