Hard Counters

Hard Counters

in PvP

Posted by: Chicago Jack.5647

Chicago Jack.5647

Stop it, Anet. It’s bad for the game. Each match should be determined by each player’s skill and which team has better team co-ordination, not blatantly by the build they run. We shouldn’t be able to get a good idea on which team is going to win within the first 10 seconds of the match. Rock Paper Scissors does not make for good game balance. Balancing around “roles” is good game balance, and by roles I don’t mean, “I’m going to create a build around directly countering some x build.”

I’ll give an example on a micro level: In GW1, there was a skill called Diversion. It was a very powerful hex that would be placed on a target, and the next skill used would be put on about a one and a half min cooldown. The problem with Diversion was that it had a rather long cast time and a rather long cooldown. This made it a prime target for interrupt bait. However, knowing this, the player could bait out interrupts by cancel-casting the skill. If done properly, the person with interrupts would waste the interrupt and diversion would be able to be used freely at a key time – which is another aspect to it; timing. It was used much like an interrupt would be used or during key times when the team needed to shut down a target for the duration of the hex (6 seconds). It gets even deeper than this with hex removal, but I’m sure we all get the point. The main build that used diversion had a “role” to play (shutdown – mainly against healers), but it wasn’t really a direct counter to anything to the point where you would see a player run this build, and a player run another build, and easily know which of the two players will win. Instead, you would have to ask whether or not these two people were good or bad at their roles.

(edited by Chicago Jack.5647)

Hard Counters

in PvP

Posted by: Peow peow.2189

Peow peow.2189

its more or less on whether the dev team has the knowledge and capability to balance the game.

Hard Counters

in PvP

Posted by: Sweetbread.2679

Sweetbread.2679

Honestly I’d just give up on this game ever being a sequel to Guild Wars in anything, but name. I’d love for it to be that game, but the devs have already abandoned everything that made Guild Wars the game it was in favor of cheap gimmicks, dumbed down gameplay mechanics, gear grinding, and generally shallow gameplay. It’s going to be a lot less grief to accept this game for the shallow cash grab catered to idiots that it is than the sequel it should have been.

Hard Counters

in PvP

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

Honestly I’d just give up on this game ever being a sequel to Guild Wars in anything, but name. I’d love for it to be that game, but the devs have already abandoned everything that made Guild Wars the game it was in favor of cheap gimmicks, dumbed down gameplay mechanics, gear grinding, and generally shallow gameplay. It’s going to be a lot less grief to accept this game for the shallow cash grab catered to idiots that it is than the sequel it should have been.

Guild Wars 1 was filled with cheap gimmicks, and it definitely had hard counters. I understand the anger many Guild Wars 1 players feel toward Guild Wars 2, but this seems like a really bizarre thread to lash out in.

Hard Counters

in PvP

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Diversion ADDED 53secs (at 14 Domination) to the recharge of the skill cast through it. It was such a cool spell and so well balanced. You could pull off tricks which crippled gimmick builds with it (offensvely diverting a WoH or BSurge, defensively getting a Martyr or Lingering Curse) and could be played around with interupts or using Insipred Enchantment or Inspired Hex (monks used to carry this before Glyph of Energy was buffed) through it nullifying its effect. Its 3sec base cast time made it basicly a mesmer only spell. It really was the flavour and power of the mesmer in one spell, beautiful skill.
As for GW2 I think it would be nice to see the return of EBurn as an attack on dodge energy since Diversion probably couldnt exist in this format because of the dependence on your own skills to survive.

Hard Counters

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

Rock Paper Scissors per class is bad for a game
Rock Paper Scissors per skill should be the goal

every counter should have a counter and all classes should have the Rock Paper and Scissors – not only rock paper OR Scissor

what im talking about is
player 1 heals
player 2 can counter with interrupt, poison or damage
player 1 can counter the counter with stability, condiremove or protection
player 2 can counter this with boonremove, more condis or boonremove^^

boonremove maby should be effected by blind to have another counter but this would be next thema

what im talking about is skills need counters – not classes

thx

Hard Counters

in PvP

Posted by: KrisHQ.4719

KrisHQ.4719

Good to see that we’re a small group that really wants the skill-cap to be raised in GW2.
I guess it’s pretty much the 80-20% rule, 20% want the skill-cap to be raised in order for the game to be competitive, while the 80% just want flashier rewards.
Unfortunately granting rewards is pretty easy compared to making a better game, so that’s the route Anet has taken. I think that’s pretty safe to say.

Lysis Kawahara – D/D Elementalist
Zaphiel Faires – DPS Guardian

Hard Counters

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

dont get your point – i want both. Higher skillcap + good rewards. And i wanna have good and fair MMR + Leaderboards, and i wanna have new gamemodes …. and ……

ye i want it all^^

Hard Counters

in PvP

Posted by: Chicago Jack.5647

Chicago Jack.5647

It really was the flavour and power of the mesmer in one spell, beautiful skill.

I have much love for Mesmers and R/Mo’s in GW1. So many just brilliantly, beautifully created skills. A lot of duds as well, but the skills that shined bright really did just that. So did Warrior. Man warrior was an actual good, skill-full class back in the day.

Sure there was a reason why many called it build wars (mainly in its twilight years after the expansions started coming out), but the balance was there for certain builds. Most importantly, if you had the team co-ordination and skill to run a balanced team comp, you could kill anything thrown at you.

Also, for those who never played GW1, they had a mana bar – as expected. But since there were many different ways to shut people down, one way was mana denial. In response, casters took a low mana pool weapon set (something other than staff or scepter focus) to “hide” their mana pool so it couldn’t be drained. So when they wern’t casting, they would sit in the low mana pool set, dropping their mana pool to warrior levels, then switching to their caster weapon set when they wanted to cast something. This meant, if you wanted to shutdown someone with mana denial, you would have to wait for the caster to actually cast something (because their mana pool would be exposed) – you would actually have to time your casting. Man… now I’m having a nostalgia case.

(edited by Chicago Jack.5647)

Hard Counters

in PvP

Posted by: Sweetbread.2679

Sweetbread.2679

Guild Wars 1 was filled with cheap gimmicks, and it definitely had hard counters. I understand the anger many Guild Wars 1 players feel toward Guild Wars 2, but this seems like a really bizarre thread to lash out in.

Because in GW1 hard counters A. generally had a massive downside that made them require team play to be effective, B. were few and far between compared to the soft counter skills, and C. weren’t just passive get out of jail free cards or iwin buttons, they were actually interesting to use and required thought to use correctly. In GW2 it’s just flat out lazy design and really exemplifies how little thought is put into this game and how much it caters to the lowest common denominator who need their build to win for them as opposed to winning themselves.

Hard Counters

in PvP

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Shouldn’t each class have the OPTION to build for one thing or another? At the moment some classes have few options, and single, cheese/cookie-cutter builds are necessary due to illogical/crap traits and skills.

I think that as a player-base we would appreciate a re-evaluation and reimplementation of the lesser-used (you can measure this using your magical metrics) skills and traits.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Hard Counters

in PvP

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

Honestly dude no one gives a kitten about gw1. Give specific examples of hard counters in gw2 so we can all laugh at you.

Hard Counters

in PvP

Posted by: azuzephyr.7280

azuzephyr.7280

Honestly dude no one gives a kitten about gw1. Give specific examples of hard counters in gw2 so we can all laugh at you.

Zerker stance? Diamond skin?It doesn’t get much more hard counter than that

Hard Counters

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

I agree down with hard counters >=(

Sure you can best a hard counter but when you have to but in so more effort, and the other person can just sleep walk to victory it’s not enjoyable.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

Hard Counters

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

gw1 was all about hard counters, whatever build was annoying you,
you could make a build to ruin their day.

blind was a condition that could be kept up permanently and made you miss practically every hit (something like 75%). the death of any physical attacker
daze made skills take alot longer to cast and interrupted you any time you were hit while using that skill. the death of any caster

there were also skills that made you completely immune to damage, conditions or spells.

so when i see these necros (who can fear spam people to death in seconds) complaining about diamond skin eles i just have to facepalm.

we’ve survived 6 months of hambow,
knocking 2k off an eles health pool is hardly a challenge after that.

Hard Counters

in PvP

Posted by: gesho.9468

gesho.9468

castbars.

can anyone claim educated play? even if one is good, there are plant of big guns with virtually no tell. engi grenades or bombs for instance: is it a run of the mill bomb aa or concussion bomb? go figure. with such state of affairs (or rather – animation) most of the game is blind spam.