Horrible MM system

Horrible MM system

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Hammer Hand.4815

Lord Hammer Hand.4815

so i was playing with my alt account which has the rating of 1512 (gold t2) and i was playing with and against top 100 players what gives? thats a difference of 300 or 400 +rating. is this why we not allowed to see others MMr during the match? so we cant see how imbalance the matches are?

Pacific Islander Legion [NoyP]
Black Gate
Ruthless Legend

Horrible MM system

in PvP

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

This is how they solved the issue of long queue times. They made it so players of greatly different MMRs can easily end up in the same team… lawl

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Horrible MM system

in PvP

Posted by: Honest John.4673

Honest John.4673

Off hours on NA seem to have barely anyone queuing. If they restricted the pip range to +-100 range I bet I could tell someone at home to turn on my computer, fire up gw start queuing and I’d still be in queue by the time I get home from work. They’d just have to up the max queue wait from 2 hours :^)

Horrible MM system

in PvP

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

The system does this the majority of the time during Off Peak hours since overall population is low and even more so during off peak hours, if you don’t play in off peak hours you won’t see this very often(woo population problems). and yes they should show all players Mmr and the average of each team Mmr, because Visibility should be a priority to ensure the system functions properly

Horrible MM system

in PvP

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

…they should show all players Mmr and the average of each team Mmr, because Visibility should be a priority to ensure the system functions properly

ANet kept our MMR a secret for 4 years… I hope they stop trying to hide things

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Horrible MM system

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

The longer you’re in queue, the wider the matching range you have. For players at the fringes (very top and very bottom) at off-peak hours, there may not be anyone near them playing. After they sit in queue for a while, they’re matched with the closest people who are queuing.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

Horrible MM system

in PvP

Honest John.4673

…they should show all players Mmr and the average of each team Mmr, because Visibility should be a priority to ensure the system functions properly

When they said they would show a clear measure of skill I knew they had to mean making our MMR finally visible. They painted themselves into a corner with that one. It is a big first step for a company as carebeary as anet though. It was always “muh toxicity!” as if it’d make it worse. Well, I for one haven’t seen people belittled for their MMR (you can add to friends) or heard of it here yet. The only thing I’ve seen people complaining about with regards to mmr is that they placed lower than expected and it must be the system keeping them down. Seeing team mmr on the scoreboard is the next logical step, even if it’s at the end of the match, after that it’d be individual.

Horrible MM system

in PvP

BlaqueFyre.5678

So do I it would accomplish a lot, allowing for better Player-Dev feedback and for peace of mind of players of the system actually working or not, instead of all the perceptions and incomplete information.

Horrible MM system

in PvP

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

Because the system is a sham, that’s why. Matchmaking is just a see-saw. ANet keeps our MMR secret for a reason, you know.

That you can make an alt account, get an mmr boost and climb leaderboard is egregious. It’s a shortcut to the top.

That being said, I think this matchmaking system would work only for 5-man, maybe even full solo queue. No duo, no 3-man, no 4-man, FULL solo. I’m not totally sure, but I think that was the case in the past when we had separate solo and team queues.

Horrible MM system

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

Because the system is a sham, that’s why. Matchmaking is just a see-saw. ANet keeps our MMR secret for a reason, you know.

ROFL. You know that number they display on the PvP tab? That’s your rating. So much for keeping it hidden…

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

Horrible MM system

in PvP

JTGuevara.9018

ROFL. You know that number they display on the PvP tab? That’s your rating. So much for keeping it hidden…

Yes, I know that. :P

I meant the mmr of your team, during the match.

Horrible MM system

in PvP

BlaqueFyre.5678

That you can make an alt account, get an mmr boost and climb leaderboard is egregious. It’s a shortcut to the top.

That being said, I think this matchmaking system would work only for 5-man, maybe even full solo queue. No duo, no 3-man, no 4-man, FULL solo. I’m not totally sure, but I think that was the case in the past when we had separate solo and team queues.

You are right the system is solely designed around a 5 man Static Team the same as the Game Mode was designed Soley for organized 5 man Premades, that’s one of the issues with the MM, that is why before they shipped season 5 I laughed when everyone wanted a Solo Queue, but players can have an Approximation of their skill level with this system under a Solo Queue.

Horrible MM system

in PvP

Posted by: Smoochoo.1086

Smoochoo.1086

MM gets worse with every season. How can they even say that they made it better when all you get are people that play on a level atleast two divisions beneath you…
This is merely getting frustrating. Every season you think they learn and yet all they do is make matters worse everytime…

Horrible MM system

in PvP

JTGuevara.9018

You are right the system is solely designed around a 5 man Static Team the same as the Game Mode was designed Soley for organized 5 man Premades, that’s one of the issues with the MM, that is why before they shipped season 5 I laughed when everyone wanted a Solo Queue, but players can have an Approximation of their skill level with this system under a Solo Queue.

True, people did want solo queue, but they put duo too. Even with duos, they mess the whole system up.

(edited by JTGuevara.9018)

Horrible MM system

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Hammer Hand.4815

Lord Hammer Hand.4815

Off hours on NA seem to have barely anyone queuing. If they restricted the pip range to +-100 range I bet I could tell someone at home to turn on my computer, fire up gw start queuing and I’d still be in queue by the time I get home from work. They’d just have to up the max queue wait from 2 hours :^)

yes its during off peak hrs 9am pst /11am est. my Q times is around 4 mins. you saying that it will be 2 hrs long is just being absurd.

Pacific Islander Legion [NoyP]
Black Gate
Ruthless Legend

Horrible MM system

in PvP

Honest John.4673

yes its during off peak hrs 9am pst /11am est. my Q times is around 4 mins. you saying that it will be 2 hrs long is just being absurd.

An exaggeration to be sure, but 2 hour long queues are not unheard of. If we wanted the mmr range to be reduced to be strictly around our level +-25mmr we’d be seeing much longer queues though.

Horrible MM system

in PvP

Posted by: MissCee.1295

MissCee.1295

What I find particularly frustrating with regards to player population and off peak hours is my geographic location. I live in Australia, I have no idea how large or small the player population is within my timezone, but I know it sure won’t match the population of NA timezones.

Most of the time my only option is to queue during what is essentially “off peak” hours. I see A LOT of variation in match quality. For me it would be incredibly helpful to see team mmr. At least then I might have some hope of figuring out best times to play.

My toons: Loki Thunderstruck, Loki Livewire,Loki Spellbound, Loki Meanstreak

Find pvp players: https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

Horrible MM system

in PvP

Posted by: Chapell.1346

Chapell.1346

I don’t even know what MMR is or does not even know it existed, since they introduce this league crap and copy paste other games system that leads the market all goes downhill. It should be I hereby to challenge you/your team or guild with other/few of my trusted companion on my own choosing and in return will you accept? as much as i care about my genre; oh well lets hope and put our fate in this system of theirs that other mainstream games bring them into market (not me).

[Urge]
Between a master and apprentice, i would love to see the differences.

Horrible MM system

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

I encourage you to add everyone in the match to your friend’s list at the start of the match and then screen shot the Friends Leaderboard before and after the match. This allows you to see the mmr of every player in the match to see how you were matched up, and then at the end you’ll be able to see how much rank they gained/lost which will tell you how volatile they’re rating was.

You can only do this for about 1 or 2 matches a day before they stop showing up on the Friends Leaderboard. Seems to be some sort of limitation Anet has in place. I’ve been doing this, but due to the daily limit I can only gather so much data per day on these matches.

What I have noticed so far is matchmaking will place 2-3 players on each team with roughly the same mmr. Then it fills the remaining 2-3 player slots with higher rated players on one team, and lower rated players on the other team. This seems to be matchmaking’s method to creating balanced teams, which is a flawed method. The flaws in this method become blatantly obvious when player population is low, because the variance in mmr between the two teams will be much higher, and with one team getting stacked with those 2-3 higher mmr players and the other getting those 2-3 lower mmr players, it creates the horrible lopsided matches you see all the time.

However, I am not seeing that I am always placed on the lower mmr team. So I just really can’t believe at this point in time that someone is so unlucky that they always get placed on the lower mmr team every time. It mostly happens to me after a good win streak, but during peak hours the mmr difference is usually small enough that my team can still overcome the odds and win the match.

As for queues, there has been a pure solo queue in the past, but there has never been a pure 5v5 team queue. What really needs to happen is we need a solo queue and a 5v5 only Team queue. There is no reason for anything in the middle or any mixing of the queues to exist as it just creates more problems.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

Horrible MM system

in PvP

Honest John.4673

I don’t even know what MMR is or does not even know it existed, since they introduce this league crap and copy paste other games system that leads the market all goes downhill. It should be I hereby to challenge you/your team or guild with other/few of my trusted companion on my own choosing and in return will you accept? as much as i care about my genre; oh well lets hope and put our fate in this system of theirs that other mainstream games bring them into market (not me).

It’s been in the game since its inception it’s just been hidden all this time. You’re basically admitting your ignorance about what it does though, which doesn’t really help your argument or the arguments of others that it leads to games going downhill.

Horrible MM system

in PvP

Chapell.1346

Can someone please show Honest John.4673 his/her MMR timeline cos rumour say it is changing upon how you perform during matches (unless change w/o prior notice) i’m quite intrigue tbh.

[Urge]

Horrible MM system

in PvP

Shaogin.2679

If you guys would like to help me find out more about how the matchmaking currently works, read up on my thread and post results in there.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Matchmaking-Question-3/first#post6449703

Gate of Madness

Horrible MM system

in PvP

Honest John.4673

Can someone please show Honest John.4673 his/her MMR timeline cos rumour say it is changing upon how you perform during matches (unless change w/o prior notice) i’m quite intrigue tbh.

It’s 1705 if you must know. And yes it does change going up or down on a win or loss respectively. If you want to learn more about it I recommend doing more research on Glicko2.

Horrible MM system

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

I encourage you to add everyone in the match to your friend’s list at the start of the match and then screen shot the Friends Leaderboard before and after the match. This allows you to see the mmr of every player in the match to see how you were matched up, and then at the end you’ll be able to see how much rank they gained/lost which will tell you how volatile they’re rating was.

You can only do this for about 1 or 2 matches a day before they stop showing up on the Friends Leaderboard. Seems to be some sort of limitation Anet has in place. I’ve been doing this, but due to the daily limit I can only gather so much data per day on these matches.

What I have noticed so far is matchmaking will place 2-3 players on each team with roughly the same mmr. Then it fills the remaining 2-3 player slots with higher rated players on one team, and lower rated players on the other team. This seems to be matchmaking’s method to creating balanced teams, which is a flawed method. The flaws in this method become blatantly obvious when player population is low, because the variance in mmr between the two teams will be much higher, and with one team getting stacked with those 2-3 higher mmr players and the other getting those 2-3 lower mmr players, it creates the horrible lopsided matches you see all the time.

However, I am not seeing that I am always placed on the lower mmr team. So I just really can’t believe at this point in time that someone is so unlucky that they always get placed on the lower mmr team every time. It mostly happens to me after a good win streak, but during peak hours the mmr difference is usually small enough that my team can still overcome the odds and win the match.

As for queues, there has been a pure solo queue in the past, but there has never been a pure 5v5 team queue. What really needs to happen is we need a solo queue and a 5v5 only Team queue. There is no reason for anything in the middle or any mixing of the queues to exist as it just creates more problems.

1) I disagree with your 5 vs 5 only and 1 vs 1 only theory. My guild team consists of 5 people but we are never on at the same time. When they were in amber/emerald rank we were winning 3-4 man ques against legendary players. So once again this is a match making issue.

2) Today i was maybe 60 points away from being in the top 250 again. I went like 2-9 today. There was about 5 losses that were determined in the first 3 minutes of the game. Now i had about 4 games that where close losses but the problem is they werent close because of the team. They were close because 1-2 players on my team literally could not live longer then 20 sec in a fight.

Lets call it what ever everyone likes. The system is not good for determining the top 250, its not good for matches since on teams i was that wanted to win there was alot of class swapping and tonight it was very obvious i was on the team that had the less skilled players.

Im ranting here tonight after seeing this necro game after game get owned in all his 1 vs 1 on my team. Only to have him destroy the DH on my team when he was against me. Also my win streak to get back up to around 1700 was like win 2 lose 1. So every 3 games i would +5-8 and then tonight BOOM! One game lost like 12 when we scored 46 and then another game lost 14 when the other team let us score 176. They literally left points and were like we will end it with kills.

So to answer your other question, yes there are nights where you will continuously get back to back to back, the lower MMR team.,

Horrible MM system

in PvP

Shaogin.2679

1) I disagree with your 5 vs 5 only and 1 vs 1 only theory. My guild team consists of 5 people but we are never on at the same time. When they were in amber/emerald rank we were winning 3-4 man ques against legendary players. So once again this is a match making issue.

2) Today i was maybe 60 points away from being in the top 250 again. I went like 2-9 today. There was about 5 losses that were determined in the first 3 minutes of the game. Now i had about 4 games that where close losses but the problem is they werent close because of the team. They were close because 1-2 players on my team literally could not live longer then 20 sec in a fight.

Lets call it what ever everyone likes. The system is not good for determining the top 250, its not good for matches since on teams i was that wanted to win there was alot of class swapping and tonight it was very obvious i was on the team that had the less skilled players.

Im ranting here tonight after seeing this necro game after game get owned in all his 1 vs 1 on my team. Only to have him destroy the DH on my team when he was against me. Also my win streak to get back up to around 1700 was like win 2 lose 1. So every 3 games i would +5-8 and then tonight BOOM! One game lost like 12 when we scored 46 and then another game lost 14 when the other team let us score 176. They literally left points and were like we will end it with kills.

So to answer your other question, yes there are nights where you will continuously get back to back to back, the lower MMR team.,

Well I don’t feel you should be locked to one specific 5 man team, that could be difficult due to player population, so you could just sub another guild member in. Also, it would be nice to see the pvp lfg system used more which would help a ton with players finding a team to queue with.

As for back to back getting stuck on a lower mmr team, I can see that happening after win streaks or when you’ve gone to far past your usual mmr, but I just don’t see that happening to the extent where it throws you far below a 50% win rate (which is what the system aims for).

Gate of Madness

Horrible MM system

in PvP

Chapell.1346

Smh this guy trying to pinpoint on how to beat a Grandmaster in chess is beyond my human capabilities. Can we have a Judo/Karate or even Muay thai point system instead please?

[Urge]