How can I beat mesmers post patch?

in PvP

Posted by: TheFamster.7806

TheFamster.7806

Before the June 23rd patch, it wasn’t very difficult to kill most mesmers. While the great ones usually owned me no matter what profession/build I played I felt like my loss was justified because I was outplayed. I know how and when to dodge the mirror blade and gs4 as well as sword 3 and not to walk into chaos storm. I know the cd on torch 4 is 30 seconds and the mesmer gets revealed after 3 seconds of stealth. I know how to distinguish the animation of moa and mass invisibility, and I know mesmers do remove boons including stability as well as use their shatter skills for their burst. I also know that stealth burst are completely fair game since they are predictable. I know how to distinguish real mesmer from its clones.

I am familiar with interrupt/shatter mesmers prepatch of June 23rd. In fact I strongly advocated mesmers to be buffed such as giving condi clear based on number of illusions they have and many other ways. But with their daze mantra which leads to stun if they do trait it feels as if I am punished for not random dodging. If I see a mirror blade, mesmer’s animations, leaping clones, and phantasm berserker, I will dodge most of the times. However with the daze mantra, I am constantly stun locked and then bursted. And there is no way to tell if a memser will cast mantra due to particle effects and stealth.

Now stealth is a fine game, I have no problem with that. But dazing mantra that also stunlocks me into undodgeable state, and F3 on mesmers, seems impossible for almost any class to actually use dodge against memsers. My stunbreakers are usually on 30+ sec cd, and invul skills have even longer cooldown. Also any form of stability is removed instantly as mesmers have options to remove boons in many ways.

Post patch of June 23rd, I have no idea how to dodge stunlock burst other than hoping that my teleports are always on cool down. Stun is suppose to be a powerful tool that should set up bursts like those, and I understand the role, however a class having so much access to stuns that literally prevents people from reacting even the most basic way seems a little out of the line.

Tour

in PvP

Posted by: vorpal.1497

vorpal.1497

Mesmers shouldn’t be the boon strip class AND the stunlock class, pick one and voila, the game is fixed. Oh wait what about grena— sound of explosion, followed by silence

in PvP

TheFamster.7806

Mesmers shouldn’t be the boon strip class AND the stunlock class, pick one and voila, the game is fixed. Oh wait what about grena— sound of explosion, followed by silence

Yep I refuse to play engi until they fix the grenade barrage. I also don’t play burn guardian for that matter

Tour

in PvP

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

Before the June 23rd patch, it wasn’t very difficult to kill most mesmers. While the great ones usually owned me no matter what profession/build I played I felt like my loss was justified because I was outplayed. I know how and when to dodge the mirror blade and gs4 as well as sword 3 and not to walk into chaos storm. I know the cd on torch 4 is 30 seconds and the mesmer gets revealed after 3 seconds of stealth. I know how to distinguish the animation of moa and mass invisibility, and I know mesmers do remove boons including stability as well as use their shatter skills for their burst. I also know that stealth burst are completely fair game since they are predictable. I know how to distinguish real mesmer from its clones.

I am familiar with interrupt/shatter mesmers prepatch of June 23rd. In fact I strongly advocated mesmers to be buffed such as giving condi clear based on number of illusions they have and many other ways. But with their daze mantra which leads to stun if they do trait it feels as if I am punished for not random dodging. If I see a mirror blade, mesmer’s animations, leaping clones, and phantasm berserker, I will dodge most of the times. However with the daze mantra, I am constantly stun locked and then bursted. And there is no way to tell if a memser will cast mantra due to particle effects and stealth.

Now stealth is a fine game, I have no problem with that. But dazing mantra that also stunlocks me into undodgeable state, and F3 on mesmers, seems impossible for almost any class to actually use dodge against memsers. My stunbreakers are usually on 30+ sec cd, and invul skills have even longer cooldown. Also any form of stability is removed instantly as mesmers have options to remove boons in many ways.

Post patch of June 23rd, I have no idea how to dodge stunlock burst other than hoping that my teleports are always on cool down. Stun is suppose to be a powerful tool that should set up bursts like those, and I understand the role, however a class having so much access to stuns that literally prevents people from reacting even the most basic way seems a little out of the line.

1. What class are you?
2. What gear set are you running?

Generally the playstyle of a mesmer hasn’t changed.

Pretty much if you had trouble with Lockdown before, your gonna have trouble with lockdown now. It’s basically the same build, same playstyle.
The thing that has changed is now the damage across the board for all classes is now higher.

So if you were built squishy then, you may want to change that now until you get used to fighting a mes.

I will say that evasion spam classes do well vs mantra spammers, they generally don’t know when to correctly use the mantra.
Condition’s also do well if you know how and what to dodge, and if you have access to burst condi.
Ele and Guard do very well because damage and burning.
A necro can do well as both a bunker and zerk.
Engies can lol 1 shot anyone from stealth ( probably working as intended btw)
a class that can stealth burst also does well if they get the drop.
And Real Bunkers can survive the burst.
AoE is still a thing.

p.s. Most mesmer’s take PU with their shatters. So they are actually gonna be stealthed for 6 seconds with decoy and torch 4, and 10 seconds with mass invis.

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

in PvP

TheFamster.7806

[quote=5239010;Solori.6025:[/quote]

1. What class are you?

Pretty much if you had trouble with Lockdown before, your gonna have trouble with lockdown now. It’s basically the same build, same playstyle.
The thing that has changed is now the damage across the board for all classes is now higher.

So if you were built squishy then, you may want to change that now until you get used to fighting a mes.

I will say that evasion spam classes do well vs mantra spammers, they generally don’t know when to correctly use the mantra.
Condition’s also do well if you know how and what to dodge, and if you have access to burst condi.
AoE is still a thing.

p.s. Most mesmer’s take PU with their shatters. So they are actually gonna be stealthed for 6 seconds with decoy and torch 4, and 10 seconds with mass invis. [/quote]

I play ele (cele and s/f), warrior, guardian and engi. and I never had trouble with interrupt memsers before. Even PU back then was no trouble for me as it was just a patient game of wearing each other down. Like I mentioned I had no trouble with mesmers of all kinds before June 23rd. I tried every spect but none helps against daze mantra mesmers (could be interrupts or not since the trait revamp). The problem I face is the unavoidable stun that will eventually wear me down or burst me instantly no matter what I do or play.

Tour

in PvP

Posted by: Zetsumei.4975

Zetsumei.4975

1. What class are you?

AoE is still a thing.

p.s. Most mesmer’s take PU with their shatters. So they are actually gonna be stealthed for 6 seconds with decoy and torch 4, and 10 seconds with mass invis.

Lockdown has changed a lot lol, they can take every single interrupt trait now all into one build where as before they had to make many choices between the interrupt traits on which to take. The sheer amount of things that happen when you interrupt makes quite the long list xD.

Kurodaraku – Necromancer | Kuroshikon – Ranger
Officer of [DEX] Deus Ex Machina Eu and [Fus] Fus Ro Dâh
Ruins of Surmia

in PvP

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Kite and duke. Getting in a mesmers face and button mashing (I love your list of classes you play btw, ele, warrior, guard, engie -_-u) is playing into their strength. Work with your team, the best players do. Been said many times on the forums: this isnt a 1v1 game, take note of that.

in PvP

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

1. What class are you?

AoE is still a thing.

I play ele (cele and s/f), warrior, guardian and engi. and I never had trouble with interrupt memsers before. Even PU back then was no trouble for me as it was just a patient game of wearing each other down. Like I mentioned I had no trouble with mesmers of all kinds before June 23rd. I tried every spect but none helps against daze mantra mesmers (could be interrupts or not since the trait revamp). The problem I face is the unavoidable stun that will eventually wear me down or burst me instantly no matter what I do or play.

….Try a burn Guardian or ele (3-5k burn is not fun or a joke)

Rampage for war with berserkers power is an i win button ( kinda like lich)

Engi has a boss condi spec that can survive when played well.
OR
you can grab nades, grab the nade trait, grab some stealth and one shot people

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

in PvP

Posted by: ResJudicator.7916

ResJudicator.7916

It really depends on your build. The general strategy is to play defensively to bait out the two mantra charges and then go heavy on pressure.

Bruiser-type classes like D/F ele have the upper hand against mesmer if you’re fighting over a point. You can bait out their initial stun-burst (either w/ an invuln, multi-block, or port) and then pressure really hard. The only way the mesmer has a chance of winning is to draw out the fight with a ton of kiting and stealthplay, which will almost certainly give you the point.

The Dom/Duel/Chaos build that most mesmers are running now also have 0 condi cleanse. So any condi cleanse really just has to survive the initial burst and then manage to land a few condis onto the mesmer. One good blowtorch and a poison nade, or a good burnstack from burnguard will result in a dead mesmer unless he can get his teammates to cleanse (but it sounds like you’re talking about 1v1s).

in PvP

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

You win one forum point, my good sir. Cherish it

in PvP

Posted by: BlackTruth.6813

BlackTruth.6813

1. What class are you?

AoE is still a thing.

….Try a burn Guardian or ele (3-5k burn is not fun or a joke)

Rampage for war with berserkers power is an i win button ( kinda like lich)

Engi has a boss condi spec that can survive when played well.
OR
you can grab nades, grab the nade trait, grab some stealth and one shot people

That’s pretty fail if you’re complaining about Rampage as Mesmer. You can portal out of the fight and let him waste it or abuse z-axis teleport to wait stances and rampage out.

You’re not very helpful.

twitch.tv/blacktruth009
Schwahrheit, #1 Fuhrer NA, Just your everyday typical rager

in PvP

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

It really depends on your build. The general strategy is to play defensively to bait out the two mantra charges and then go heavy on pressure.

Bruiser-type classes like D/F ele have the upper hand against mesmer if you’re fighting over a point. You can bait out their initial stun-burst (either w/ an invuln, multi-block, or port) and then pressure really hard. The only way the mesmer has a chance of winning is to draw out the fight with a ton of kiting and stealthplay, which will almost certainly give you the point.

The Dom/Duel/Chaos build that most mesmers are running now also have 0 condi cleanse. So any condi cleanse really just has to survive the initial burst and then manage to land a few condis onto the mesmer. One good blowtorch and a poison nade, or a good burnstack from burnguard will result in a dead mesmer unless he can get his teammates to cleanse (but it sounds like you’re talking about 1v1s).

I like you. You know how stuff works. I am one of those Dom/Duel/Chaos LockDown Mesmers and I know how condies can hurt, if I let my opponent burst me with those. However, I myself try to play generally very defensively and patiently. And this is where LockDown actually shines. Because suddenly you are screwed, because your vital skills get interrupted. I have no interest into bursting someone down, but love to wear them down slowly and efficiently. And LockDown allows to do that.

I also consider LockDown an offensive support build (and imo the damage could be tuned down a notch). So I avoid 1v1ing with the build. But in the current state I can 1v1 almost anything to a point where it sometimes gets almost too easy…

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

in PvP

Posted by: Buzzcrave.6197

Buzzcrave.6197

Lol when the only solution to fight mes is to use another broken build is just… balanced.

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.9524

Archaon.9524

I’m playing shatter mes without MoD and PU and ppl still die horribly and whisper me “mesmer op” 24/7….

So no, it’s not stunlock or stealth…it’s just stupid ppl

Wasn’t much of a surprise tho

Ark 2nd Account

in PvP

Ross Biddle.2367

I’m playing shatter mes without MoD and PU and ppl still die horribly and whisper me “mesmer op” 24/7….

So no, it’s not stunlock or stealth…it’s just stupid ppl

Wasn’t much of a surprise tho

Rofl, right?

I got plenty of pre patch gameplay vids on mes rolling people throughout matches.

in PvP

Posted by: atreyu.9624

atreyu.9624

How can you beat mesmers post patch?

You gotta hope that it is just one of those fotm rerollers that have no idea what they are doing

little big wizard – Eu

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.9524

Archaon.9524

You gotta hope that it is just one of those fotm rerollers that have no idea what they are doing

Or you just need a good thief…braindead ones spamming hs and shadow shot don’t work anymore

Ark 2nd Account

in PvP

TheFamster.7806

I guess my question was kinda long.

The real question is how am I suppose to dodge daze that is instant, can be used in stealth, and prevent me from dodging other than blowing all of my cds that are above 50sec?

Tour

in PvP

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

The funny thing about the power of the interrupt mesmer is that it was powerful even before the patch, it’s just that no one wanted to play it because reasons. I’m sure when they fix confounding, it will go back to obscurity when really it’s one of THE most powerful builds of the Mesmer.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in PvP

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

Or you just need a good thief…braindead ones spamming hs and shadow shot don’t work anymore

surprisingly, from a Mesmer PU discussion thread, someone mentioned thieves still own Mesmers hard in higher tier PvP tournaments:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Opinions-on-PU/page/2#post5240402

Any high ranking thief / Mesmer can confirm that’s true?

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

in PvP

TheFamster.7806

The funny thing about the power of the interrupt mesmer is that it was powerful even before the patch, it’s just that no one wanted to play it because reasons. I’m sure when they fix confounding, it will go back to obscurity when really it’s one of THE most powerful builds of the Mesmer.

BAck then interrupt mesmers didn’t really have shatters to back them down. Now its shatter combination with interrupt, and daze mantra literally stops you from dodging. So basically with 3 skills, Gs2, daze, and mind wreck, you are already able to 1 shot other zerkers. Daze mantra can also be activated in stealth. You tell me How i can dodge that

Tour

in PvP

Dirame.8521

BAck then interrupt mesmers didn’t really have shatters to back them down. Now its shatter combination with interrupt, and daze mantra literally stops you from dodging. So basically with 3 skills, Gs2, daze, and mind wreck, you are already able to 1 shot other zerkers. Daze mantra can also be activated in stealth. You tell me How i can dodge that

You can’t. Confounding suggestions is definitely the culprit but I’ve seen some Eles, take them on and come out on top.

And that combo you just said, mesmers could totally do that before, it’s just squishies are squisher now and bunkers are bunkier now.

in PvP

TheFamster.7806

You can’t. Confounding suggestions is definitely the culprit but I’ve seen some Eles, take them on and come out on top.

And that combo you just said, mesmers could totally do that before, it’s just squishies are squisher now and bunkers are bunkier now.

So basically you are saying that those combos have no counter yet they are fine? I don’t see how that is balanced and having a few people able to grasp a win or two doesn’t make it fine imo

Tour

in PvP

Posted by: Michael.9517

Michael.9517

theif should use sb 100% after their opening burst

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfey.3407

Wolfey.3407

What class(es) do you play?

Really can’t help out much besides telling you to dodge if we can’t suggest skills/traits/weapons/ class mechanics to counter.

Former PvP Forum Specialist
2015-2016
Fort Aspenwood

in PvP

Ross Biddle.2367

surprisingly, from a Mesmer PU discussion thread, someone mentioned thieves still own Mesmers hard in higher tier PvP tournaments:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Opinions-on-PU/page/2#post5240402

Think of it this way. Who gets the drop on who, putting who on the back foot first?

Also: Consume Plasma was never nerfed :p

in PvP

ResJudicator.7916

Think of it this way. Who gets the drop on who, putting who on the back foot first?

Also: Consume Plasma was never nerfed :p

In a straight up 1v1, I’ve found that chaos/dom/dueling mesmer has the upper hand over d/p thief by a pretty sizeable margin. The only time I end up losing to a thief in a 1v1 right now is if I whiff both my MODs and eat the initial steal, which is a pretty large margin of error. But you definitely notice skill differences in thieves a lot more now. The good ones that know when to dodge and shadowshot continue to be a pain in the butt. And all the bad thieves that just BP+HS+backstabbed continue to die like they did before the patch — nothing has really changed for them.

But in a teamfight scenario, the thief will generally be able to get the jump on the mesmer. Being able to open with steal to apply weakness really screws the mesmer over for the first few seconds, and if the thief crits with the backstab, that’s usually enough to trigger panic strike, which means the mes will need to burn distortion or a blink (or a blurred frenzy if the thief didn’t have venom active). Once the mesmer’s burned his cooldowns, he becomes a much easier target for the thief’s team (or from a follow-up attack from the thief).

Consume plasma also gives the thief immunity to interrupts from the mesmer, and can be applied twice per steal w/ improvisation.

I think one adjustment a lot of thieves will need to make is to not open with basivenom + mug + bp-hs / backstab. A lot of mesmers take mirror anguish in chaos now, which will cause the thief to also stun himself (thus interrupting his whole combo and wasting all those skills). It’s much better now to just open with mug (so you and the mesmer both get dazed), and then to apply venom on the next stealth attack.

in PvP

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

man it looks like people don’t know about stun breakers. If I as a mesmer can learn to use stun breakers to save myself from basilisk stun burst why shouldn’t you people learn how to do the same vs a daze shatter burst??

in PvP

TheFamster.7806

man it looks like people don’t know about stun breakers. If I as a mesmer can learn to use stun breakers to save myself from basilisk stun burst why shouldn’t you people learn how to do the same vs a daze shatter burst??

Because daze mantra has cd of 5 seconds and most stunbreakers have cd of well over 30 seconds? Also basilisk venom can be evaded/blocked as thieves have to land the attack as well as it being over 40 seconds of cd and its not an instant cast?

Tour

in PvP

ResJudicator.7916

MoD is definitely really strong when combined with Confounding Suggestions. You can try to bait out the MoD by starting a long-channel skill and then immediately dodging.

Otherwise, I think it’s more productive to focus on timing the mind wracks (12s CD, plus you can see the setup) rather than the MoD. Even if MoD is on a lower, 5s CD, if the mesmer’s mind wrack isn’t up then he’s not going to be doing as much damage. The exception is if he MoDs right next to you for the mirrorblade, but you can see that coming (since he’ll be moving right next to you), so you can just pre-emptively blind/block/dodge/whatever.

If he does the blink/stealth opener to do a point-blank MoD + Mirror Blade, then he’s burned a long CD utility so you’re not at a loss by using one of your stunbreaks.

Once the mesmer has used both his MoD charges, you can pressure really hard and abuse the mesmer’s low sustain.

But it’s pretty hard to give specific advice without knowing what build you’re running. If you want a really easy fight, just run burnguard. One instantcast judge’s intervention and a ranged Purging Flames on the mesmer will put on enough burning to almost guarantee a down on a Dom/Duel/Chaos mesmer.

(edited by ResJudicator.7916)

in PvP

Dirame.8521

So basically you are saying that those combos have no counter yet they are fine? I don’t see how that is balanced and having a few people able to grasp a win or two doesn’t make it fine imo

I’m saying….. it’s funny how the community swings just because of an update.

in PvP

ResJudicator.7916

I’m saying….. it’s funny how the community swings just because of an update.

To be fair, the update changed a lot for mes, the present combo wasn’t really possible before. Pre-patch, mesmers could not grab CS without giving up DE or IP, which no one would do. CS also wasn’t a guaranteed stun.

The only other way to get an instant “stun” out of MOD would be to grab CI from Chaos (so you get daze + immob), but that meant giving up IP and Illusionary Elasticity. Giving up both IP and Elasticity severely reduces the amount of damage you get from a point blank mirrorblade+mindwrack combo.

in PvP

Mogar.9216

Because daze mantra has cd of 5 seconds and most stunbreakers have cd of well over 30 seconds? Also basilisk venom can be evaded/blocked as thieves have to land the attack as well as it being over 40 seconds of cd and its not an instant cast?

how do you dodge a steal from stealth? Same way you dodge a daze from stealth maybe?… Daze mantra has a cool down of 30 seconds not 5 seconds. Maybe get your facts straight before QQing next time.

in PvP

Posted by: Silinsar.6298

Silinsar.6298

how do you dodge a steal from stealth? Same way you dodge a daze from stealth maybe?… Daze mantra has a cool down of 30 seconds not 5 seconds. Maybe get your facts straight before QQing next time.

He probably meant Power Lock http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Power_Lock

in PvP

Posted by: Celtus.8456

Celtus.8456

No it should also be the portal/stealth class, the support class, the tanky invuln class, the AI clutter class, did I miss anything? Mesmer is fine guys, everyone just got really good at it overnight.

Luckily every profession also has at least one ridiculously tuned build to compete.

Josre
Zulu Ox Tactics [zulu]

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

Especialy Rangers got one ridiculously tuned build… Oh wait, did I said “Rangers”?

in PvP

Posted by: baylock.1703

baylock.1703

My advice is to still dodge mirror blade if we use mantra we use it split second after casting mirror blade but it is hard to deal with it I agree

in PvP

Mogar.9216

He probably meant Power Lock http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Power_Lock

He meant confounding suggestions that turn a daze into a stun with 5 sec internal cool down. That requires the mesmer to land a daze . The memer have few ways to land daze but the only way that is nearly unstoppable is cast mantra of distraction from stealth. Like I pointed out in my post , casting mantra of distraction from stealth is no different from getting hit by a steal from stealth. I just didn’t bother wasting time pointing out everything because it’s very clear that he had no idea about both the mesmer class and the thief class.