How can we encourage stomping?

in PvP

Posted by: MiGFiD.1760

MiGFiD.1760

Not a lot of people practice this rare skill.

(edited by MiGFiD.1760)

in PvP

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

9/10 the people screaming about “get the stomp” just don’t want to die and aren’t looking at the big picture. Sometimes going for a stomp will lose you the fight.

in PvP

MiGFiD.1760

9/10 the people screaming about “get the stomp” just don’t want to die and aren’t looking at the big picture. Sometimes going for a stomp will lose you the fight.

9/10 of the time people who don’t stomp lose the battle. When two or more people are down (your teammates), and it’s an obvious kill, the one who can stomp just does not do jack all. The guy goes for the tank instead

in PvP

Fluffball.8307

Well we’re both just making numbers up at this point. Stomping isn’t always the best choice.

in PvP

MiGFiD.1760

Well we’re both just making numbers up at this point. Stomping isn’t always the best choice.

Agreed. Let’s agree to disagree.

in PvP

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

When someone is about to get stomped, they use their cc downed skill. Sometimes you want to avoid getting hit by this.

in PvP

Fluffball.8307

You’re saying stomping is always the best choice? That’s objectively wrong. Stomping is usually a bad choice, sometimes it’s a good choice.

If there are 2 or more rezzers on a downed body, cleave, stomping is useless unless you have some serious CC.

If you’re out of CDs, don’t get yourself killed attempted to stomp, that turns a bad team fight into a team wipe.

And so on.

in PvP

Posted by: Celine.6857

Celine.6857

There is a fine line of knowing when and when not to stomp and a lot of people are oblivious as to when either of these tactics/methods should be used. As has been stated above I’ve had people in downed state that could be rallied if a player would just stomp. AND I’ve been in circumstances where every single person on the team tries to stomp one person without doing ANYTHING else to support their team – quite often leading the downed enemy to be rezzed due to lack of cc and effort from the rest of the team… AND I’ve been in situations where people stomp too much and we have those pesky eles/thieves/engis coming back faster to annoy us.

People are just less aware of the tactics of when it is good to stomp and when it is better not to.

Samantha
Guild: Creators of Destiny Awakening [CDA] Disabled GW2 gamer; love all aspects of GW2!
Champion: Magus, Illusionist, Phantom and Shadow

in PvP

MiGFiD.1760

Just to be clear, stomping does mean to simply kill the downed person right?

in PvP

Posted by: Varezenem.2813

Varezenem.2813

Just to be clear, stomping does mean to simply kill the downed person right?

No, stomping means pressing F on the downed body doing the stomping animation. If you successfully stomp you get your finisher displayed.
Also you don’t want to kill the downed always, if they are of point you can let them bleed out for example.

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

in PvP

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

Nah man stomping IS NOT always the best choice cleaving during team fights can not only secure the kill but puts you in less danger when the opposing side has the ground covered in AOEs and or CC chains. If you say otherwise and is in a higher tier then I feel even more sorry about the state GW2’s spvp is in now.

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys

in PvP

Posted by: timmy.8732

timmy.8732

you cant, everyone believe cleaving them is the only way unless you have a thief who wants to show off the only finisher in the game.

Master Apex

in PvP

Posted by: shion.2084

shion.2084

To actually encourage stomping (which was the original post), you’d need to do things like reduce damage taken by stompers, reduce the effectiveness of AOE Condi, reduce cleave.

I don’t think this is a good idea, but it would encourage stomping.

in PvP

Posted by: Shiyo.3578

Shiyo.3578

To make stomping more attractive you need to reduce the amount of AOE cc/condis you can easily bomb onto bodies.

in PvP

Posted by: odstninja.1468

odstninja.1468

Not a lot of people practice this rare skill.

Actually I can’t tell you the countless times I’ve seen idiots lose a match b/c they tried to stomp instead of just killing.

For instance, thief has 10% or less hp, warrior tries to stomp, thief blinks away, warrior tries to stomp again, thief cloaks, thief’s teammates kill warriors teammates, thief revives and the 2 of them kill warrior easy. Warrior blames his teammate for dying instead of accepting the fact that he screwed up, b/c if he had simply killed the thief with an attack his ally would have rallied.

I actually can’t even count the # of times I’ve seen this happen. Especially by warriors for some reason lol.

That’s why on my power shiro I almost always just use unstoppable odds and spam auto attack like crazy the downed player, can often kill them before they even get their downed skill, and if the enemy team tries to revive even better b/c of mass aoe cleave damage.

in PvP

Posted by: shion.2084

shion.2084

If I kill my opponent off point in a 1 v 1 I will sometimes draw out their death so they don’t respawn and get back in fight. Mortar has a big range If someone goes to heal them you drop your condi AOE’s … i fthey come for you, you lob a few condi AOEs fire the function gyro and deal with the new commer. I’ve eaten up tons of time with effective 5 v 4’s while recapping and having the opponent tool around trying to rez.

in PvP

Posted by: steelheart.7386

steelheart.7386

I don’t know if about encouragement or people just arent good enough to react to there surroundings correctly. A lot of people just run around spamming attacks. Its very rate with full solo queue for the body to be focus fired enough to stop a decent rez attempt.

in PvP

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

Stomping is encouraged by downing people first.

in PvP

Posted by: Shiyo.3578

Shiyo.3578

Hard to down people when it’s ok for druids to run around in circles and be invincible.

in PvP

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

Stomping is good if you can’t out cleave the revive attempts and are able to secure it without dying or getting interrupted.
Cleaving is better if doable because you get to burn the health and resources of those trying to revive.

How to encourage it...........................

......................Bring back and promote active stability skills and get rid of the passive nonsense.

EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780

in PvP

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

Let’s just say standing still for 3 seconds in the middle of a good fight is a little risky.

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in PvP

Posted by: Mysticjedi.6053

Mysticjedi.6053

Stomping should be encouraged, when safe.
When not to stomp
- The middle of a fight with 2 or more enemies around you
-At the end of the fight when your team has clearly won
-Any location where you can manage your cap and watch the enemy slowly die
- If you’re trying to take and keep far

When to stomp
- You are in a situation where it is 1v1 and you have an ally downed another enemy is incoming (use stability first) (even this is situational, because you could just go for the rez, but then risk the other person rezzing)
- When you’re just sick of that person
- When it will put your team ahead for the quick points
- If, and this requires you to pay attention, a quick kill can give your team a needed “power play” situation

There are probably more and there are probably more knowledgeable people than me who can add to this.

I do know that knowing when to stomp and cleave or cleave instead of stomping can change the course of major encounters, which can swing the game.

in PvP

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Reduce ammount of CC.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

in PvP

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Each profession is missing 1 heal and 2 elites in their core sets.

What about some finisher skills with varied mechanics and conditions for activation, so people have ways to finish other than staying in the middle of the fray for several seconds?

For example, warrior is missing 1 elite shout, it could be “And Stay Down!”: 120 recharge, 2s activation, range 1200. If target is knocked down, knocked back, launched, feared, dazed, stunned, or sinking they are knocked down for 2 additional seconds and lose up to 3 boons. If target enemy is downed and has less than 33% downed health, they are defeated.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in PvP

Posted by: infinitenoah.8296

infinitenoah.8296

Stomping is very hard to learn for most PvPers.

in PvP

Posted by: bLind.6278

bLind.6278

As a warrior, I have EXTREMELY limited ability to safe-stomp (one stack of stability IF I’m in Berserker, which means I’ll be doing kitten damage post-stomp,) so most of the time I just focus on trying to cleave, lay down fire fields on the corpse to damage anyone trying to revive, and CC people off the revive.

I’ve seen too many thieves never stomp for my liking when they have the easiest stomps in the game.

Most of the time, a couple of people cleaving will get the job done. No need to stomp unless it’s urgent.

One foot out the door, yet again.

in PvP

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

As a warrior, I have EXTREMELY limited ability to safe-stomp (one stack of stability IF I’m in Berserker, which means I’ll be doing kitten damage post-stomp,) so most of the time I just focus on trying to cleave, lay down fire fields on the corpse to damage anyone trying to revive, and CC people off the revive.

I’ve seen too many thieves never stomp for my liking when they have the easiest stomps in the game.

Most of the time, a couple of people cleaving will get the job done. No need to stomp unless it’s urgent.

heh As a fellow warrior, that’s mainly what I do, cleave. I got the DPS to do it, and at times it’s actually QUICKER than stomping.

in PvP

Posted by: DutchRiders.2871

DutchRiders.2871

Why would you stomp when you can leave your opponent bleeding out of position off point? Or when you can apply pressure with cleave+CC on the ress attempt?

Stomping is only good if ya really need the kill quick on a relatively healthy downed body.

in PvP

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

Why would you stomp when you can leave your opponent bleeding out of position off point? Or when you can apply pressure with cleave+CC on the ress attempt?

Stomping is only good if ya really need the kill quick on a relatively healthy downed body.

Because most of the times your opponents die within the point

in PvP

Celine.6857

As several have pointed out, including myself, not stomping is often a very good tactical choice, as well as the only choice in some circumstances to ensure your entire team isn’t wiped. But I will reiterate; there’s a fine line between knowing when and when not to stomp and people still clearly are unaware of this line.

Just yesterday, we had a situation where people were down (on our team) and one guy was down their team with one of ours up. I shouted for our guy to stomp him, he didn’t and our guy went down and we all died. More to the point, he was fighting him in no man’s land wasting time.

It is often good to choose not to stomp because it tactically delays the opposing team coming out faster to cap etc but you have to have a good sense of what is happening around you to know when to practice this tactic.

Samantha
Guild: Creators of Destiny Awakening [CDA] Disabled GW2 gamer; love all aspects of GW2!

in PvP

Celine.6857

Even all this depends on the situation though.

Stomping should be encouraged, when safe.
When not to stomp
- The middle of a fight with 2 or more enemies around you

This is situational, if the enemy has a good chance of being rezzed you should try for the stomp to eliminate that enemy and really you shouldn’t have 2 or more enemies around you alone so your team should be able to help in achieving the stomp. If you’re outnumbered you’re likely to die anyway. But it depends on your build as to whether you can cope with this many enemies around you and still defend a capped point.

-At the end of the fight when your team has clearly won

This is an issue of respect more than tactics.

When to stomp
- You are in a situation where it is 1v1 and you have an ally downed another enemy is incoming (use stability first) (even this is situational, because you could just go for the rez, but then risk the other person rezzing)

As you say, situational. Sometimes it’s good for the rez even if the enemy is rezzed if you know your team mate and you can kill the 2 enemies better together than trying for the stomp, stability running out and you ending up 2v1. Literally depends on team make up and situation as you say.

- When you’re just sick of that person

LOL… not a tactic but love it :P

- When it will put your team ahead for the quick points

This should be obvious to anyone in ranked PvP :/

- If, and this requires you to pay attention, a quick kill can give your team a needed “power play” situation

You and your team should always be paying attention #facepalm.

There are definitely more scenarios and it does take time to learn when stomping is appropriate to cleaving and it baffles me why people don’t stomp to ensure a rally of an ally. A lot of people seem hungry to show off their finishers too and then we get all the team trying to stomp one person off point while the tank ele steals mid and no one can ever get it back. Nightmare.

Samantha

in PvP

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

When its safe to stomp depends pretty heavily on what class your playing. If your a druid and SoTP and Signet of stone are down stomping is extremely risky unless you can manage it from stealth. Combine that with the fact that druids can’t cleave except for AF 5 then its much safer to try to disrupt/kill the people that go for the rez (Lunar impact, Glyph daze) than it is to go for the stomp yourself. Of course invuln rezzing nullifies this.

If the enemy has a condi reaper in the field stomping is also really difficult to pull off and that same reaper risks alot when it goes for a stomp without people supporting it.

If there is a scrapper rezzing then unless you have a team mate performing heavy down cleave you simply aren’t going to get the stomp in time. They rez too fast and the scrapper will be covered by stability making disrupting the rez difficult. Your best bet is to perform as heavy a cleave as you can with multiple people forcing the engis elixir s to proc and then focus firing the downed body until it wheres off and the scrapper has to pull back.

Knowing when to stomp is very important. But knowing when stomping is something that won’t work and infact may cost you the team fight in general is also important*. Theres no point stomping the guy if you down immediately after and your comp isn’t one that can pull off a rez in a high pressure area

Ghost Yak

(edited by Shadelang.3012)