How comes ppl hit 5-10k dmg in PVP???

in PvP

Posted by: Mokoko.9825

Mokoko.9825

I have been playing the game for a few months now. So far i like the game even tho i dont like the combat style.

Been doing pvp every day since its rewarding, not gear depended and its what im looking for in a mmorpg mostly.

But there is one thing i dont understand here, i have seen many ppl doing 5 to 10k dmg regularly, even with condition dmg i can see ppl doing 5k per tick. I have tried builds from metabattle and tried out my own but i dont see this being possible with any build.

I have checked forums and everything, ppl say they do like 500-1k dmg with auto attack and about 2-3k with other attacks. thats about the same as mine with all toons and builds.

How comes ppl hit 5-10k+ in PVP if its not gear depended?

in PvP

Posted by: Searven.4820

Searven.4820

Well, most classes have some kind of skills that can do up to 10k dmg if they play berserker or marauder amulets for example.
Often its a combination of different skills in an instant as well…

Just look for spvp videos and see for yourself how people can play.

A good timed shatter combo from a power mes can easily deal 15k+ dmg.
If you walk on point with a trap guard most classes can die instantly.
Thiefs deal massive dmg if they jump you from stealth.

Its one of the basics in gw2 pvp to learn to predict those kind of things and deal with them either with dodges, blocks or whatever counter your class has in that situation.

(edited by Searven.4820)

in PvP

Posted by: Vitali.5039

Vitali.5039

Guardian’s burn can reach 420 damage/second per stack with no vulnerability stack.
If you stack enough burning you can do some high damaging tick, conditions are very dangerous if you don’t know how to manage it..

in PvP

Posted by: JDjitsu.7895

JDjitsu.7895

I have been playing the game for a few months now. So far i like the game even tho i dont like the combat style.

Been doing pvp every day since its rewarding, not gear depended and its what im looking for in a mmorpg mostly.

But there is one thing i dont understand here, i have seen many ppl doing 5 to 10k dmg regularly, even with condition dmg i can see ppl doing 5k per tick. I have tried builds from metabattle and tried out my own but i dont see this being possible with any build.

I have checked forums and everything, ppl say they do like 500-1k dmg with auto attack and about 2-3k with other attacks. thats about the same as mine with all toons and builds.

PvP may not be gear dependant, but the Amulet,sigils,runes and synergy of you and your team’s traits and your experience with that build will get you the damage you’re seeing. And I think you still need chest, boots and pants though to get armor stat(unless that’s changed?)

If you’re running support or bruiser build, you’re probably not going to see the damage you’re seeing DPS players get. It’s not ppl cheating if that’s what you’re insinuating by this thread. Well, probably not. Watch some vids and/or streams of top players to get an idea how it’s done. There are certain modifiers that will get you big crits. You just need to learn and get some more experience under your belt. Something doesn’t seem right though if you’re playing a power dps meta build and only getting 500-1k AA’s. If you’re Condi, yea. Maybe you always have weakness and getting those weak attacks? Condition dps is about stacking that condi with as much cover condies so the big damage ones like Burn don’t get cleared so you can keep stacking them. Maybe try recording yourself and watching or having one of your experienced friends take a look. You might be overlooking something simple. Practice is your friend. Mess around in a Guild Hall if you don’t already. Or 1v1 servers or something.

Wiggin/LittleEnder/XeroCool/Filthydirtyrotten/MizDemeanor/EnderThaXenocide/ShadowOfWiggin-
Maguuma & A Few alts on other NA/EU servers

in PvP

Posted by: Caine.8204

Caine.8204

Might stacking and vuln stacking definitely helps. There are some warrior/mesmer builds that are gonna crush you pretty fast. Thief does a lot of power damage too.

Burn guardians can generally hit you with 3-10k ticks of burn on their own if you’re with your team.

in PvP

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Caine my max was 12k burn ticks with the full combo.

@OP

5k-10k is a normal value :\ it actually happens alot.

Just adapt and play somethign that is easy to play due damage and defense.

learn2leach, gw2 isnt a good game for pvp.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in PvP

Posted by: Mokoko.9825

Mokoko.9825

i must say, great community, great advices and everything. in other games i would expect some “get good” jokes etc.

i have to agree with aeolus here. this is not a good game for pvp since your damage can vary between 1k to 10k+ but your defenses wont really vary that much. this is basicly BS. however there is no better game out atm….

There is no game that will offer anything better at the moment, i know that but this is unbelievable that game developpers can not make a simple calculation that if you go defensive, it doesnt mean u cant killl anything, u just take less dmg and do less dmg, which still leads u to be able to compete with any offensive build player.

all the kitteng games out there only offers offensive builds for players that will succeed. this is just bad design, bad thinking, failure.

and dmg variying so much is just BS. one build doing 1k dmg other one doing 10k? wtf really.

wish i had enough money to start a gaming company, it is not kitteng rocket science:

- u go defensive; u take less dmg but u still do some dmg, u go offensive; u do lots of dmg but u are kitteng squishy!!!! even a defensive build should hurt u!! why do games not work like this nowadays?? u can be both offensive and defensive…

its so sad we have to get by with these games until some smart company comes out with a better game….

thanks everyone for your replies.

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

I think you need to toy around with things a bit more. GW2 still has a few "bruiser " PvP builds, which seems to be what you are looking for. You can build for more sustain while still dealing respectable damage, just don’t expect to burn through foes like a glass cannon.

GW2 isn’t the best for PvP, but that has nothing at all to do with the range of damage.

For the bruiser builds, check out the Scrapper (Engi elite spec) and Druid (Ranger elite spec). The Scrapper is a great bruiser class. It has many attacks with built in defense mechanics, good projectile defense, decent condi cleanse, decent might and boon stacking, great for ressing allies, and decent damage.

I myself play a Shoutbow Druid. I can apply mild consistent damage, with strong bursts, while also having great mobility, disengage, and healing for myself and my team. Also great at ressing allies as well.

The Reaper (Necro elite spec) also has a pretty decent bruiser build, but requires more support from teammates to be effective. They have great damage and can soak up quite a bit of damage as well to stay in the team fight, but unlike the others they can’t handle being focused very well and can’t really disengage either.

Lastly, if you’re just doing outright pathetic damage, you are probably playing something that can bunker a point against a couple of enemies. If you are unable to bunker a point though and you have crap damage, then you are just doing something wrong.

No class should be an incredible bunker and be able kill enemies too. That is just poor balancing. We’ve been through that already, it was horrible. We’re actually at a pretty decent spot in balancing right now as far as damage and sustain are concerned.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in PvP

Posted by: Luci.7018

Luci.7018

i must say, great community, great advices and everything. in other games i would expect some “get good” jokes etc.

i have to agree with aeolus here. this is not a good game for pvp since your damage can vary between 1k to 10k+ but your defenses wont really vary that much. this is basicly BS. however there is no better game out atm….

He told a good word for the community !
Lynch him !!!!

On break

in PvP

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

Unfortunately, the game has a pretty steep learning curve for newer players.

The PvP combat is very skill cool down dependent rather than HP pool dependent. You are expected to know what skills hit hard and how to counter them by defensive measures(movement, position, dodge, defensive skills). Don’t expect to tank hits solely by large HP pool or defensive stats.

That being said, to lose 10k HP in a short time, it requires most of enemy players invest in a lot of offensive skills(except for maybe thief). So if you can avoid the burst, you are usually in a good spot. It will take another 10-15 sec for enemy player to recycle his skill cool downs.