How do I beat/counter a guardian?

in PvP

Posted by: Gwaiyn.4395

Gwaiyn.4395

So, me and a friend were dueling each other, with me using my classes and him using his dragonhunter, and I’m having trouble figuring out how to beat it

The main problem I have is with the traps, I’ve been browsing the forums and people have been saying things like just avoid it or don’t walk into it, but the problem I’m having is that the traps auto-activate if your in melee range of the guardian

It SEEMS like an easy fix, just stay out of melee range, but guardians have SO MANY gap closers and pulls that it’s nigh impossible to not get into melee range at some point in the battle, and that’s usually where the battle ends

Guardian GS 5 is a pull
Guardian GS 3 is a gap closer
Guardian F1 is a pull
Judge’s Intervention is basicly thief’s steal

You can evade two of these if your timing is perfect but then your drained of your endurance, after that, you really just kind of have to get lucky but this isn’t even the most annoying part

The thing I find hardest to anticipate is the auto attack CC, it looks like a regular attack but it knocks you back, it’s at this point the guardian can use any of the skills above to reel you into their traps

also longbow 2 hits hard

Gwaiyn – 80 Thief
Ryfaul – 80 Warrior
Fluene – 80 Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: Daharahj.1325

Daharahj.1325

Might want to clarify your class because they all play the matchup differently.

in PvP

Posted by: Gwaiyn.4395

Gwaiyn.4395

sorry about that, they’re listed in my sig, thief, warrior and mesmer

Gwaiyn – 80 Thief
Ryfaul – 80 Warrior
Fluene – 80 Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: Pizz.3698

Pizz.3698

Try not to move when you trigger the traps and try to use a block or stab until they run out. Afterwards the DH is just an easy kill. The only exception is if they’re running procession of blades, then try to trigger the traps and run out, most classes can proc the traps with pets/minions/gyros, etc.

Piiz

in PvP

Posted by: Rekt.5360

Rekt.5360

Ehhh, Idk in 1v1s I don’t rly have trouble with DH’s since the traps aren’t instant and you can dodge roll them as soon as you see the daze. So if you spot a DH get rdy to press ur dodge roll and roll backwards not forward since you’ll still be in the trap when you roll is over. Other than that dodge the true shots and you should be good. If you run shield reflecting 1 single true shot can often be a game changer. My only problem with DH is rly them teleporting into group fights and dumping traps when I’m trying to rez/stomp somebody or just plain fighting because you get nuked in an instant.

If you ever win against a DH in a 1v1 on a point make sure to hop on top of them tho, that’s a necessity.

Vanov {Warrior} ~ Still waiting for “Guide on Making Proper ||#1 Warr NA|| Sig”

(edited by Rekt.5360)

in PvP

Posted by: Zelulose.8695

Zelulose.8695

Relax everyone using their cheezy DH knows they going to get nerfed. The whole community has been crying.

Lucky Leaf, Ángël, Clergyman, Side Kick -Lets make Gw2 a better game

in PvP

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

Relax everyone using their cheezy DH knows they going to get nerfed. The whole community has been crying.

yep, then weeks later the classes that call for the nerf get their nerfs, rinse and repeat. FUn times.

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

https://youtu.be/EedZ5kFAvSw

this video has great tips.

my personal advice is don’t play warrior, the class is pants right now.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in PvP

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

Scrapper is your only way to counter Dragon Hunter in 1v1. Dragon Hunter pummels everything else if wielded correctly.

I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

Yup as Choovanski says dont bother with Warrior. Its one of my 2 level 80s (the other being my guard) and i stoppped playing warrior as soon as HoT was released and there were no changes to the berserker spec.

It is without doubt the only elite spec that makes the class worse than before and since every other elite spec improves on the class you are at a serious disadvantage if you play a warrior.

With all the QQ around DH will get nerfed in one way or another. But as the previous poster said, the focus will shift to the next most powerful class and so on. Its just the way it is. The only difference is when Anet gets to it. Sometimes the nerfs are very quick sometimes it can be months (in the case of DD Cele Ele).

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in PvP

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

I’ll speak for thief (since its the only class I use aside from DH).

Shadow step right on top of him. Two things happen here. You either trigger all the traps OR you don’t. If you do trigger them, shadow step out and dodge roll immediately after. Usually, once you’ve triggered the traps, they’re charging a true shot (feel free to not dodge if they’re not true shotting) which is why I recommend the immediate dodge roll. Now, you’ve triggered 2-3 of his utilities at the cost of one of yours. Sounds fair, no? Of course, if you havent triggered anything, go to town on his kitten , but he careful. He might know what you’re doing and is probably waiting for shadow step to expire before dropping his traps.

^thats literally all you need.

Also, I keep hearing people complain about GS/LB. You guys do know that he sacrificed shield of wrath and ray of blinding for this setup, right? Also, you shouldnt have issues dodging GS and its 2/5. Work on your dodges, OP.

in PvP

Posted by: Lavexis.5360

Lavexis.5360

https://youtu.be/EedZ5kFAvSw

this video has great tips.

my personal advice is don’t play warrior, the class is pants right now.

it should be easy for warrior

1. use endure pain to bait the trap.
2. shield slam – AA chain
3. rampage

in PvP

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

Thieves are lunch for guardians. Doesn’t even have to be DH.
Mesmer should use clones to wreck traps, also the GS pull is easy to dodge.
Warrior whirlwind is a power attack that is near impossible to react to at close range. Use this once you start getting that health down.(Assuming you using GS +Axe/shield)

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

The trouble with the counters people give is that they assume the DH is just standing stupidly on all his traps waiting for you to get wrecked or inviting pets/clones to trigger them.

It depends a bit on what class I am up against, but in general when playing a trapper ranger I don’t stand on the traps all the time. The best set up is usually to put them down somewhere and then stand somewhere off the traps where minions can’t trigger them. You then goad the opponent over your traps and have them all off CD to apply a double burst.

DH also has other options like teleport to instant trap daze/burst, or goading out CDs and dodges with true shot or the auto proc knockback, etc. Their traps also give a lot of defensive boons/utility so it would be hard to use counters typically employed against ranger trappers (cc).

in PvP

Posted by: Drekor.5217

Drekor.5217

The trouble with the counters people give is that they assume the DH is just standing stupidly on all his traps waiting for you to get wrecked or inviting pets/clones to trigger them.

It depends a bit on what class I am up against, but in general when playing a trapper ranger I don’t stand on the traps all the time. The best set up is usually to put them down somewhere and then stand somewhere off the traps where minions can’t trigger them. You then goad the opponent over your traps and have them all off CD to apply a double burst.

DH also has other options like teleport to instant trap daze/burst, or goading out CDs and dodges with true shot or the auto proc knockback, etc. Their traps also give a lot of defensive boons/utility so it would be hard to use counters typically employed against ranger trappers (cc).

9 out of 10 DH’s ARE standing stupidly on their traps waiting for someone to come wreck themselves.

The Shipwrecked Pirates
Tarnished Coast

in PvP

Posted by: Vapour.7348

Vapour.7348

I beat dh with herald. I beat herald with scrapper.

Mini Unagi – Iuther – Iiq – Trend – lancaster

in PvP

Posted by: that baby stealing dingo.7216

that baby stealing dingo.7216

I’ll speak for thief (since its the only class I use aside from DH).

Shadow step right on top of him. Two things happen here. You either trigger all the traps OR you don’t. If you do trigger them, shadow step out and dodge roll immediately after. Usually, once you’ve triggered the traps, they’re charging a true shot (feel free to not dodge if they’re not true shotting) which is why I recommend the immediate dodge roll. Now, you’ve triggered 2-3 of his utilities at the cost of one of yours. Sounds fair, no? Of course, if you havent triggered anything, go to town on his kitten , but he careful. He might know what you’re doing and is probably waiting for shadow step to expire before dropping his traps.

^thats literally all you need.

Also, I keep hearing people complain about GS/LB. You guys do know that he sacrificed shield of wrath and ray of blinding for this setup, right? Also, you shouldnt have issues dodging GS and its 2/5. Work on your dodges, OP.

Slayer is it possible to shadow step in then back out without taking at least one proc from the traps? I tried that today (using infiltrator’s strike/return) but the traps just burst me down to nothing in an instant.

I have a sword, a dagger, and an estimated life span of 2.47 seconds.

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBunny.3681

BlackBunny.3681

Reroll your warrior to DH, trust me…. Warriors are bad right now DHs are great… just lvl one to lvl 3 and find out how great they are in pub games… Complete stomper…. If you ask any question on the forums you will just have DHs saying they are easy to kill and you just have to … and every1 else saying they are OP. Best way to learn a class is to play it.

in PvP

Posted by: iZallen.9074

iZallen.9074

If its a dumb DH who sits on traps, Revenant Sword 3, Hammer Leap, will force burn all of them, alongside shield hunkering (or charging with War). Much of their burst comes from their traps, and often require to go almost glass cannon for it.

in PvP

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

As thief is not your role to counter a bunker.

Just stay out of everything and come in just when needed ( if was all about a “duel”, outplay him and take your time through blind and stealth. He can afford to make mystakes. You can’t ).

Also hope in dodging judge’s intervention ( its random, but could happen to dodge it ) and try to blind all trueshots ( remember he have 1 knockback every 10 sec which gives him 6 sec stability and also trapps daze, so dont’ waste shadowstep or infiltration signet ).

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

9 out of 10 DH’s ARE standing stupidly on their traps waiting for someone to come wreck themselves.

Yeah I know. Traps have never been so powerful (at least the synergy between traps and the rest of the build) so even the stand on trap strategy can work a lot of the time.

But after a few games most people playing DH will learn to move off them and try to LoS when they see a ranger/Mesmer/necro coming along. That basically negates half of the suggested counter play.

DH really is a beautifully made spec, it would be great if Anet could adjust some of the normal specs to give them such amazing synergies (rather than gutting DH).