How do I get better at pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Kirigato.7183

Kirigato.7183

I just started playing pvp a week ago it’s really fun but I’m really bad at it are there any effective ways for me to improve other than playing pvp for a hundred hours per day

in PvP

Posted by: ReaperJr.5967

ReaperJr.5967

Watch youtube videos. Profession guides. Learn what’s the meta. Duel. Duel more. Dueling is the shortest route to being good mechanically. Rotations are merely a matter of analysis, so no matter how much you grind pvp you won’t be able to improve your rotations unless you analyse your matches.

Lord Ninth \\ Champion Magus
- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

in PvP

Posted by: Moonlit.6421

Moonlit.6421

There’s some good advice in the above post, one thing I want to highlight is the meta. I’m not saying meta is the best builds or anything but it does help you learn how the class functions until your ready to start tweaking your own builds and it also helps knowing the meta because if you see an opposing player with a meta build you hopefully remember all it’s tricks. Another good piece of info is don’t go immediately into que matches, start out in hot join and work your way up as you learn more of the mechanics. Also try to play multiple classes a little, even if you don’t like them necessarily, because once you can recognize other classes mechanics such as their heals and bursts they are easier to fight against and predict. Lastly find someone to help you who knows a little about pvp and can help set you up with the right build and teach you how best to use it. I know I personally have helped quite a few people just by taking them to my guilds pvp room for a little while and just helping them tweak their build and then dueling each other until they grow confidence in it. That being said I’d be more than happy to help you in game if you have any questions or just want to duel a little bit for practice. ^^ If you don’t mind my asking what class do you play?

in PvP

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

in PvP

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

Get a build, watch streamers who play that build, ask them questions if you got some, watch tournaments (there’s a weekly cup today starting in a couple of minutes).

Avoid youtube btw (as 99% of youtube pvp content is bad, super outdated, or both).

in PvP

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

My advice would be to learn exactly what your skills do and when you think you should use them. and along with that, learn what combo fields/combo finishers are if you haven’t already, they can be REALLY important depending on your class/build.

Also, posting you build here can help us tell if there’s any problems stat-wise, if you’d like (there are multiple online build editors, just try google )

edit: i’d also like to point out that if you join hotjoin, expect matches to be unbalanced. that’s simply the nature of hotjoin. unranked is a lot more balanced (but not quite as balanced as ranked, IMO). just thought i’d letcha know so if you keep getting zerged in hotjoin, it’s not necessarily your fault

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

in PvP

Posted by: DranerFox.5348

DranerFox.5348

play an engineer like everyone else

in PvP

Posted by: Highlie.7641

Highlie.7641

If you don’t mind dieing, start with a glass build.
Positioning is Extremely important in this game.

in PvP

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

I just started playing pvp a week ago it’s really fun but I’m really bad at it are there any effective ways for me to improve other than playing pvp for a hundred hours per day

Google search “Guild Wars 2 pvp build meta”, you’ll find the most popular pvp builds. That’s good place to start. Spec that build on your character (you can do this at no cost and at any level thanks to how Pvp works in GW2. The only sin is not to go in and spec out at least a meta build). Take your build into Hearst of the Mist and duel each NPC profession. You should be able to clear all of them without giving yourself time to recoup between matches. Until you can beat all NPC classes in Hearst of the Mist a few times in a row don’t play with real people as you’ll likely just bring the team down. You can play the game how you want, it’s just being polite to know your build and to be reasonable skilled with it before you start playing with other people.

Play unranked matches. Stay with at least one other player who will complement your skills. Don’t worry if you loose in Skyhammer, Spirit Watch or Courtyard. While these maps add some fun to the game they aren’t well balance and a win on one of them doesn’t always parallel with the skill executed by the team. I assume this is why they aren’t allowed in in ranked games.

(edited by SamTheGuardian.2938)