How do you deal with dardevil ?

in PvP

Posted by: Shiiroi.6035

Shiiroi.6035

Hello !

So I have a huge problem atm, I don’t understand how to deal with dardevil with some classes.

I’m mostly playing ranged class such as ranger and I don’t see how I’m supposed to face dardevil.

With the bound trait this guy is just PERMANENTLY dodging. Meaning I can’t land a single hit on that.

I find it quite OP but I don’t see a lot of people complaining about it.

I find DH and dardevil the most 2 OP things since HOTS but for some reason I find dardevil even worse. It’s just impossible to land a shot against it. And if by any luck I manage to CC it for a second it will just break stun and then start dodging again.

And I mean every of his dodge hit for at least 2K.

So I get it’s OP and I dunno if anet is gonna change this yet. So until then I just wanna know how do you guys manage to deal with that kind of things.

in PvP

Posted by: MrDire.6235

MrDire.6235

I see …

/15chars

Attachments:

Thief – Miss Dire
Thief – Ion Dire
Fort Aspenwood

in PvP

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

First, you’re going to feel some heat, because the community generally considers Thieves to be in a bad place in the immediate meta, so a large swath of folks will hide behind that fact and never try to get better or find something that works. They’ll use the competitive ESL tournament results as a reason for why they can’t play their class in an Unranked Queue successfully. Best to ignore them.

Second, many of the Thief/Daredevil abilities that evade have windows of opportunity where they aren’t evading, but the animation is still going. For example, the Shortbow evade had a window near the end where you can hit the Thief. If you’re a Ranger, use whatever instants you have, or get a feel for the rhythm of the evasion spam and time an ability to land during the predicted window.

Also, be sure to dodge any Vaults that look like they are going to land (the leap-slam ability). It doesn’t necessarily always land, but the Daredevil can’t spam it too often, because it costs a lot of initiative. I’m not sure what the window is for Vault, but play around with it.

Your best friend is the spam’s predictability. They have ingrained the muscle memory to spam evasions, so that’s what they are going to do. They often won’t know how to not do it, and they aren’t using their abilities to specifically evade yours, so you have that going for you. Just practice up against it and you’ll probably find your windows in time.

And don’t worry about losing/dying. It could be that evasion spam is really good against your build in a 1v1, and that’s OK. It doesn’t necessarily mean it is OP, just strong against your build.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in PvP

Posted by: XGhoul.7426

XGhoul.7426

You would get better constructive criticism if your build is just flawed, use a skill calculator and post it for better feedback, Cogbyrn gave some good feedback for just things in general, but that’s only half the battle.
Use this website to post your build: http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/

in PvP

Shiiroi.6035

Thanks a lot Cogbyrn for the tips ! I’ll try to do that and maybe I should play a bit thief myself to understand the animations better.
I can’t understand thief is maybe weak in the current meta with all the AOE from DH, ele and others, but it’s pretty efficient against ranged classes such as ranger.

For the builds I tried different builds but I’m usually running something close from the power ranger build from meta battle. It’s working well in general but dardevil is quite a problem.

in PvP

Posted by: Snow.2506

Snow.2506

Daredevil? Have….have you tried breathing on one? Or giving them a stern look? That usually does it.

For the love of the high damage, high mobility, glass cannon. Thief to the bitter end.

in PvP

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Best bet is practicing aiming for the tiny window in between dodges.

Take some prediction but yeah.

in PvP

Posted by: BeepBoopBop.5403

BeepBoopBop.5403

A nice comfortable slice of l2p

Koolgai Smurf – Thief | Dazin U – Mesmer | Whats Healing Power – Ranger|
I Bought Hot – Revenant | [QQ]

in PvP

Shiiroi.6035

Yeah BeepBoopBop that’s why I asked this here it’s was to actually Learn To Play, thanks for the obvious and useless comment.

in PvP

Shiiroi.6035

And Snow, I see your point, for instance when playing tempest I have no issues with dardevils because I have a lot of AOE. But when playing a ranger it gets really tought to land your skills…

in PvP

Shiiroi.6035

First no need to be agressive…
And then, I started 2 months ago but I still played a good amount of time during those 2 months and doing alright on PVP.
If I’m talking here it’s because I am looking for tips on how to improve and not just complain… If you aren’t happy just don’t answer and ignore me but I don’t see why I shouldn’t be able to ask for some help there. I actually got a few answer for instance the post from Cogbyrn that actually helped me and that will help me to improve.
So I totaly disagree with you : it’s not because I lack of experience that I shouldn’t ask for tips on how to improve, that’s actually how you get experience usually, by learning from others.

in PvP

Posted by: Angina.9314

Angina.9314

thank you OP, you made my day seriously, i am in much better mood now

in PvP

Posted by: Iohanna.4863

Iohanna.4863

Hey Shiiroi, don’t worry about the trolls – there is one situation where a Thief/Daredevil could seem untouchable.

If your build largely relies on short bursts to defeat an opponent, the seasoned Daredevil is absolutely your worst enemy. As long as the Daredevil is able to read your animations / habits, they can dodge all your hard-hitting skills and burst you down instead. If you rely on projectiles, keep in mind that the Staff auto-attack on Daredevil reflects projectiles on the 3rd combo; so an auto-attacking Daredevil has about 50% reflect uptime.

How much do you use your auto-attacks? Dealing with a good Daredevil mostly involves disrupting their ability to read you. If you mess up your own rhythm a bit – delaying some moves, include some auto-attack spam in your combos, save your dodges, and so on – the Daredevil will have a hard time reading you. You may need to tweak your build to be less bursty and more constant DPS – there are a lot of ways to completely negate a burst of DPS now.

in PvP

Shiiroi.6035

Thank you Iohanna, I’ll try to ignore the trolls.

I guess dardevil is less of a problem for more constant AOE damage dealers which seems to be the new meta. But as you say, for the type of character I play, daredevil is quite hard to touch.
I’m gonna try to learn the animations and timings of this class and maybe adapt my builds to have a more consistent damage output.

I know lot’s of classes have reflects and blocks nowadays and ranger is bit less powerfull but I still like to play it. But even like this, for most classes, even if they can reflect for a while it leaves big windows of actions in the middle. I have hard time to adapt to that constant dodging style from the dardevil. I guess it’ll take some practise !

Thanks for the tips again !

in PvP

Posted by: Ihales.3820

Ihales.3820

Get swiftness, get to medium range and run around unpredictably . Laugh at them as they can’t land single Vault/Bound on you. Kill them with AA.
Get to location where they can’t easily dodge to and kill them while they are getting there.
The only way to lose against evade spamming DD is by being squishy and trying to burst him in melee.

in PvP

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

Is dardevil the improved version of daredevil?

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

in PvP

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

This is the kind of behaviour you can expect from most thief players whether they’re at the bottom of the food chain or the top which is why I have little to no sympathy for the current state they’re in.

As for the topic, try posting your build as said above with the build editor, a few little improvements or changes can really help preserve your style and give you a better chance. At the bottom of the build window is a quick link box, copy it and paste it here please, don’t be shy, some people will help without being horrible about it.

Are you sitting in longbow a lot of the time? Switching to a melee set like great sword or sword and dagger or torch would be better when they close in on you and has good evasion on skills. Longbow does less damage the closer you are to targets.

Condition damage really hurts thieves that don’t have shadow arts and most don’t bother to spec for damaging condition clears so that’s always an option.

What pet are you using, some of them are better than others for dealing with different situations. You could also try asking in the ranger forums.

Finally, you should either make a thief and play around with the skills to see how they work and thier weaknesses. Get a friend and go to an empty server and duel them a bit, practise timing your interrupts on the vault, dodging it, finding how big the AoE is etc.

Finally to those who play thief, yes this is a learn to play issue but you don’t have to be a complete kitten about it. I know there is information “out there” on this but newer players aren’t as savvy with the forum and its many navigational problems.

in PvP

Posted by: princode.2750

princode.2750

To be frank actually DD is freaking powerful…I have a guild member that is undefeated in guild…he rekt half of my guild member and most of us had been playing pvp for years. DD is extremely hard to master therefore most DD perform badly in pvp. DD is 1 of the class that is the harder to learn but once master it can be very rewarding, Most good DD don’t really show off their build they are quite low profile.

in PvP

Posted by: fumcheg.1936

fumcheg.1936

Yea, I can confirm it. I was thinking DD is garbage until lately. But now I’ve got the skill and knew that secret build. Now I’m wreking DH and Scrappers literally in second. Revenants just do not even try to fight with me. Actually now it even seems little boring for me because enemies just run away when they see me (tbh even my teammates sometimes do) so I have to stay and capture the points all by myself during the whole match…

in PvP

Posted by: assassin.7895

assassin.7895

play druid instead of ranger and never use long bow. that way any daredevil is easily killed.

in PvP

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

To be frank actually DD is freaking powerful…I have a guild member that is undefeated in guild…he rekt half of my guild member and most of us had been playing pvp for years. DD is extremely hard to master therefore most DD perform badly in pvp. DD is 1 of the class that is the harder to learn but once master it can be very rewarding, Most good DD don’t really show off their build they are quite low profile.

You mean build that doing 9k dmg with Vault. And spamming 5,5,5,5? Thats really hard to master IMO.

in PvP

Posted by: Maris.3164

Maris.3164

Shiiroi, people are just upset because your thread is concerning thieves, the least wanted profession everywhere in the game. They have been nerfed to the ground on more than one occasion and thief has been generally just trash aside from decapping.

I wish I could help you with your problems versus Daredevils but as it is I haven’t played pvp since HoT launch because ranked games have been disabled.

in PvP

Posted by: roelvanesch.2817

roelvanesch.2817

Aoe dot fields would do the job most likely.

in PvP

Posted by: princode.2750

princode.2750

You mean build that doing 9k dmg with Vault. And spamming 5,5,5,5? Thats really hard to master IMO.

=) tht’s why I say there’s a lot of below average DD. This reply is a good example of a below average DD. Figure out yourself i’m not suppose to share my guild mate build

in PvP

Posted by: Ashkew.6584

Ashkew.6584

Best thing to try and do next time shiiroi is to avoid calling something OP before you understand the counters, and only ask advice for dealing with something.
There are a lot of frustrated players who will start acting like 12 year olds when you call something OP.
Not many ppl like Cogbyrn who look beyond that and give friendly useful feedback.

Personally i don’t seem to have much trouble with daredevils, but i play druid, and i just wait for right window like cogbyrn described and me and my pet can combine 2 hit the poor fellow. If he’s a good daredevil he doesn’t die, but gets out and finds a fight he can +1.
Good luck trying, and best is to try daredevil yourself in pvp.

in PvP

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

Leave hotjoin and join unranked. 95% chance you’ll never face another one again, or warrior for that matter.

in PvP

Posted by: foste.3098

foste.3098

Slot in signet of stone, use signet of stone when a staff monkey starts to jump on you (also known as vault spam), hit him with a couple of auto attacks. Congratulations he is now in the down state.

But in all seriousness most thief/daredevil players are not very good and in case of dd all they will ever do is spam vault (or pistol whip if they role with s/p), making them very predictable. As a ranger if you can land a taunt you will win, if you land 1 point blank shot you will win if you land 1 hilt bash you will win. Vault has a small aftercast as the thief stands up from smashing the ground, so this is you chance to land the above mentioned skills.

Also as a tip from one ranger to another, run with longbow/greatsword and i highly recommend the skirmishing line for the vigor and quick draw.
With quick draw you will be able to better control a fight by reducing recharge of key weapon skills for that encounter. In case of daredevil you will be able to swap from lbow to gsword as he gets in melee range of you and use counterattack. What this will do is stop his initial burst, and posible cc him, but more importantly let you use this skill again in a few seconds (i thing 4 can’t remember the exact number). Quick draw is amazing for things like this, if you need to peal quick draw hunter’s shot for more stealth, if you need cc point blank or hilt bash, need dmg rapid fire, need to run quick draw swoop. Also this goes without saying but, don’t use longbow in melee (unles you swap to it for a bps or can use hunter shot in melee to gain stealth). Way yo many rangers camp longbow for no reason.

Also if a daredevil lands a vault for ~8k on you he is probably using a berzerker amulet, so he is the definition of squishy. When people said all you need to do is breath on him to kill him it was not a joke, he has 11k hp and no additional armor.

see no evil ,until i stab you

(edited by foste.3098)

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

Best tip I can give you: Play all Thief builds and learn how Initiative flows. After that you will know when Thieves are expossed to danger and when to dodge against each weapon set. You will also learn which Thief attacks got build in evade/blind so you won’t waste your CDs during/after those.

in PvP

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

Lol grow up guys, put your egos to bed, and join them too.

But in their defence our class has suffered a lot lately and is in a poor place in pvp (close to warrior) and a lot of other class’s can pulverise us with even knowing we are even there, so thief mains will troll just to make them feel good, but not all thief mains.

As people have said we have small windows where evade ends – mid animation (vualt evades at the start and ends as the thief finishes the flip and ‘stabs’ the ground with the staff) all evade frames have a weird white aura sort of effect when the skills is “evading” it’s when this ends then you can try to land your hits in.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

(edited by Fat Disgrace.4275)

in PvP

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Some DDs are very strong when used right.

Like Hit and Run DD can be a pain when fighting against a Reaper as well. they can turn the tide of battle.

in PvP

Posted by: Reem.3578

Reem.3578

Imo just play one. You’ll get to know its flaws pretty fast. And btw, you’ll also notice that there’s nothing such as “perma evade”.

“You judge too much with your eyes alone…”

And yes, i play [Teef] :)

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

=) tht’s why I say there’s a lot of below average DD. This reply is a good example of a below average DD. Figure out yourself i’m not suppose to share my guild mate build

LOL….the hubris is strong in this one. Ever since GW2 reduced build flexibility by locking us into 3 lines only able to choose one from each tier, builds have become brain dead easy.

And dont try and tell me your guild mate has a build that all the “pro” players who play for money havent already figured it out and realised that a thief just wastes a valuable PvP slot.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in PvP

Posted by: DrMatt.9408

DrMatt.9408

If you are running glass and having trouble with thieves, then that’s a good thing in my book, suggests a slight hint of balance in an otherwise broken meta. Of course you do have your invun skill as ranger – barkskin or is that d&d I don’t know/care. Use that and by the time it is up you should have your machinegun reloaded. Your pet might even have killed the teef if they were playing suboptimally, you never know. It’s not like we have any defense apart from dodge as daredevil.

in PvP

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

And Snow, I see your point, for instance when playing tempest I have no issues with dardevils because I have a lot of AOE. But when playing a ranger it gets really tought to land your skills…

The fact that you have a flying chance in hell vs anyone who’s dumped thousands upon thousands of hours into this game tells me what I need to know.

Sorry but Druids counter thief just like all the other classes in the game.

in PvP

Cogbyrn.7283

The fact that you have a flying chance in hell vs anyone who’s dumped thousands upon thousands of hours into this game tells me what I need to know.

Suddenly the Daredevil in question has thousands upon thousands of hours in the game? I’m curious how you found that out.

in PvP

Posted by: dank.3680

dank.3680

First, you’re going to feel some heat, because the community generally considers Thieves to be in a bad place in the immediate meta, so a large swath of folks will hide behind that fact and never try to get better or find something that works. They’ll use the competitive ESL tournament results as a reason for why they can’t play their class in an Unranked Queue successfully. Best to ignore them.

Second, many of the Thief/Daredevil abilities that evade have windows of opportunity where they aren’t evading, but the animation is still going. For example, the Shortbow evade had a window near the end where you can hit the Thief. If you’re a Ranger, use whatever instants you have, or get a feel for the rhythm of the evasion spam and time an ability to land during the predicted window.

Also, be sure to dodge any Vaults that look like they are going to land (the leap-slam ability). It doesn’t necessarily always land, but the Daredevil can’t spam it too often, because it costs a lot of initiative. I’m not sure what the window is for Vault, but play around with it.

Your best friend is the spam’s predictability. They have ingrained the muscle memory to spam evasions, so that’s what they are going to do. They often won’t know how to not do it, and they aren’t using their abilities to specifically evade yours, so you have that going for you. Just practice up against it and you’ll probably find your windows in time.

And don’t worry about losing/dying. It could be that evasion spam is really good against your build in a 1v1, and that’s OK. It doesn’t necessarily mean it is OP, just strong against your build.

The window for vault is as they are landing. For example if you vault on top of an engi lightning field you will get stunned the instant you land.

#MAGSWAG: All class player. XOXO

in PvP

Posted by: Snorcha.7586

Snorcha.7586

moa -> then auto = dead

in PvP

Azukas.1426

Suddenly the Daredevil in question has thousands upon thousands of hours in the game? I’m curious how you found that out.

Notice he used the plural form of daredevil?

The only people I find religiously still playing thief are the long term vets of the class who have dumped thousands of hours into the class.

Either way he’s been playing for 2 months only and split between classes in that time. Someone who’s been playing even part time thief for the past 2 years should murder him without batting an eye lash.

You really seem anti thief. What class are you failing to kill thieves on?

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

persistent aoe (see fire fields), channeled spells, GOOD REFLEXES destroy any evade based thief build

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

On a power ranger, you can kite the thief (he does not have a lot of gap closers usually on staff, if he uses Bouncing Dodger), and your LB#2 is guaranteed to deal at least some damage, since it’s a channel. Practice with a friend to time your LB#4 in the end of their dodge. Your immobs (for example from the druid GM trait) can help, but usually they will be cleansed immediately.

Don’t listen to the loud mouthes: daredevils are hard to beat on a power ranger if you don’t yet have the needed reflexes. Good luck and see you in the Mists!

in PvP

Posted by: Ario.8964

Ario.8964

Hey Shiiroi, glad to hear you’re working to improve rather than complain. Thank you for being a constructive member of the pvp community

Now for your question:
When dealing with Daredevil, the big thing to remember is the fact that Daredevil is a naturally spammy spec. It takes getting used to fighting the spam but once you’re accustomed to fighting it you will smash most who try to fight you. Like many others said the biggest thing is timing. Make sure you take some time to familiarize yourself with the animations of each of their skills and what the effect is. Depending on your trait selections and such, you can take advantage of their selected dodge once you identify the dodge being used.

Dodges and how to counter them:
Unhindered Combatant- this one is the dash that removes inhibiting condis from the thief and grants them a damage reduction. When they run this dodge you may not want to waste your time trying to immob or cripple them as they can instantly remove it. Instead take advantage of the fact that their dodge doesn’t do damage and just keep high pressure on them to either force them out of the fight or waste their dodges and then kill them off once they run out of defenses.

Bounding Dodger- This one deals damage and grants a 10% damage boost. Often combined with daredevil runes for constant crits, this is the most common dodge found in the normal daredevil spam builds. It hits hard but it sacrifices a full dodge to do the damage. There’s a small window towards the end of the dodge that you can cc them in. Do that enough to force them to blow all their stunbreaks and you will be able to damage them down while they are stunned or knocked back. If you run the druid line use ancient seeds to immob them after you cc them in order to force them to condi clear or eat a ton of damage.

The other condi one is rarely used and is pretty much the same solution as the ones mentioned above.

Now unfortunately that’s just the first part of fighting daredevil, next part is identifying their weapon set and countering it accordingly. The three most common build defining weapon sets in pvp are D/p S/d and staff. Learning to counter each one will get you some great results very quickly.

Staff- dodge vaults to make them waste initiative, like bound there’s a small window at the end you can interrupt them in which will over time yield the same results as bounding dodger. Other attacks are highly telegraphed and easily countered but still try to keep some distance between you two in order to shut down their damage and force them to play defensively.

D/p- lots of blinds so make sure you remember to clear them before blowing larger skills. Avoid standing in their black powder field to avoid being blinded. Dodging skills like shadow shot will help you avoid blinds and force them to blow cd’s and initiative as shadow shot costs a good bit of initiative to activate and they can run out very quickly. Often they will take bounding dodger as a combo with their black powder field to get stealth without losing initiative, try to interrupt it at the very end of the dodge to stop them from getting stealth and if you don’t have an interrupt don’t stand near them. Aoe’s around their circles and around you will help you to prevent the thief from doing damage to you and force them to take a lot of damage if they try to burst.

S/d- Completely focused on evades to survive. Often combined with unhindered combatant to avoid getting rooted and grant them the best mobility possible. Their skills do more sustained damage then burst so if you can outsustain them you should be able to win the fight. Use hard cc’s (stun, daze, knockdown, etc.) to force them to use stunbreaks and when they run out, burst them to hell and back. If they prove to be a more difficult opponent who is more familiar with their matchups then they will be hard to force onto the defensive. Try to wear out their sustain by dodging flanking strike whenever they use it if you can. Without flanking strike making contact, they will be unable to burst you with larcenous strike and you will be able to out dps them, forcing them to either leave the fight or die. Counter pressure throughout the fight is key, don’t give them room to recover and save you damage immunity for when you fail to dodge a flanking strike and they try to burst.

Hope most of this was helpful to you. If you have any more questions feel free to ask and I will do what I can to help you out. Now none of this is easy and will require lots of practice so you can always head into a duel server and fight daredevils to get used to it 1v1. And you’re on NA you can always pm me and I’ll practice a bit with you if you’d like. Good luck with your quest to fight daredevil

[Teef] Dragonbrand Thief and Engi main www.twitch.tv/ariodoesgaming and Ario Does Gaming on Youtube!

in PvP

Cogbyrn.7283

The only people I find religiously still playing thief are the long term vets of the class who have dumped thousands of hours into the class.

Either way he’s been playing for 2 months only and split between classes in that time. Someone who’s been playing even part time thief for the past 2 years should murder him without batting an eye lash.

You jump to so many conclusions in so few sentences that this post should be framed. I don’t even know where to begin because everything is so everywhere, so I’ll say this:

As a solo Power Necro roamer for years, I know what it’s like to get frustrated fighting Thieves. My ability to empathize with the OP inspired me to post constructively in a thread I knew would receive trolls and flames. The OP has been nothing but responsive to constructive criticism, and is probably out there now striving to be a better player because of it.

So what are you saying again, exactly? Because I think it’s irrelevant, or inflammatory, or unnecessary.

in PvP

Posted by: that baby stealing dingo.7216

that baby stealing dingo.7216

Hello !

So I have a huge problem atm, I don’t understand how to deal with dardevil with some classes.

I’m mostly playing ranged class such as ranger and I don’t see how I’m supposed to face dardevil.

With the bound trait this guy is just PERMANENTLY dodging. Meaning I can’t land a single hit on that.

I find DH and dardevil the most 2 OP things since HOTS but for some reason I find dardevil even worse. It’s just impossible to land a shot against it. And if by any luck I manage to CC it for a second it will just break stun and then start dodging again.

So I get it’s OP and I dunno if anet is gonna change this yet. So until then I just wanna know how do you guys manage to deal with that kind of things.

Welcome to the PvP forums, Shiiroi.

You may have noticed some thoughtless or outright hostile responses to your question. There is actually an explanation for this. You see I’ve done some research and discovered that when you ask an honest question in these forums, you have a 76% chance to receive one of the following answers in return:

“Get good”
“U suck”
“Honestly, it’s a l2p issue”
“If you think this community is toxic, try League of Legends”

So there you have it!

Now, as to fighting daredevils and thieves I like to use cripple, chill, and immobilize. Also any, and I mean any, AOE.

With daredevils you need to be ready to dodge when they get within about 1000 range. They can close the gap with their spammy spam attack faster than you think, and many of them will run straight at you which is how they telegraph their next move.

For ranger specifically I have had success using:

Muddy Terrain
Entangle
Torch #5

In that order. Muddy terrain will force them to burn their anti-immobilize skill, setting them up for entangle. Torch #5 is pure heck on thieves of any stripe. You don’t even have to see the thief to use the above strategy; they will always try to close the gap so just cast muddy terrain shortly after they go stealth.

Also, Ranger has some tanking skills (some signet that grants invulnerability?), and you can use that when you first see the thief. Many thieves (myself included, sometimes) will burn up most of their initiative while you stand their and laugh.

Good luck and keep practicing.

I have a sword, a dagger, and an estimated life span of 2.47 seconds.

in PvP

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

Hello !

Welcome to the PvP forums, Shiiroi.

You may have noticed some thoughtless or outright hostile responses to your question. There is actually an explanation for this. You see I’ve done some research and discovered that when you ask an honest question in these forums, you have a 76% chance to receive one of the following answers in return:

“Get good”
“U suck”
“Honestly, it’s a l2p issue”
“If you think this community is toxic, try League of Legends”

So there you have it!

Now, as to fighting daredevils and thieves I like to use cripple, chill, and immobilize. Also any, and I mean any, AOE.

With daredevils you need to be ready to dodge when they get within about 1000 range. They can close the gap with their spammy spam attack faster than you think, and many of them will run straight at you which is how they telegraph their next move.

For ranger specifically I have had success using:

Muddy Terrain
Entangle
Torch #5

In that order. Muddy terrain will force them to burn their anti-immobilize skill, setting them up for entangle. Torch #5 is pure heck on thieves of any stripe. You don’t even have to see the thief to use the above strategy; they will always try to close the gap so just cast muddy terrain shortly after they go stealth.

Also, Ranger has some tanking skills (some signet that grants invulnerability?), and you can use that when you first see the thief. Many thieves (myself included, sometimes) will burn up most of their initiative while you stand their and laugh.

Good luck and keep practicing.

Just to let you know, a staff thief dosnt need to burn anything to remove imbolize. Staff 3 cures it and dash dodge trait also cures it.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

in PvP

Posted by: Serious Thought.5394

Serious Thought.5394

I feel like I’m being ignored. I burst engage, I don’t just mob run. =( Unless I’m hardcore trolling.

Worst Thief in the world, yes I am.

in PvP

Azukas.1426

As a solo Power Necro roamer for years, I know what it’s like to get frustrated fighting Thieves.

That is all I need to know is that you are basing biased PvP opinion on years of WvW roaming.

Thank you and I wish you well.

in PvP

Posted by: Mefiq.7039

Mefiq.7039

As a solo Power Necro roamer for years, I know what it’s like to get frustrated fighting Thieves. .

PVP and WvW, pick one! These are 2 diferent modes and requires diferent skills. When in wvw you have Year to kill someone as thief(and can use imbalanced item stat types and runes) compared to 30 min match that is race to 500 points? This is PvP forum keep it pvp.

how to kill thief/daredevil , spam aoe, spam channeled skills, spam godmodes, use any conditions that deal dmg, move around. Easy. There is not a single class that doesnt have atleast solid 60-70% winchance vs daredevil/thief, thier dmg output survi is a joke, thier mobility is all they got, If you see him spamming vaults for real dont stay in place like idiot, just move around it wont ever hit. Fun fact more and more ppl start learning thief spells(before they never had to) and they start to realise that if thief just burned his agility signet they will do +2 evades.

1st thing as thief when i trained thief i did when i had trouble with other class i created this class recreated build and tested for strong/weak points. As thief there is almost 0% chance to win vs DH and its pain in kitten to even consider 1v1 any other class. You basically get 2 options, or go all out with dumb glass cannon build with 0 condi cleanse – lasthit someone and pray that you dont die, or you go for less dps and run around like madman, never getting into any fight cuz you will die easy.

Just try thief/dd for 2 days, you will be sick how much time you spend in downstate.

If that are only 2 classes that give you hard time then how the F you kill druids with 10000000000000 maul dmg and perma daze? You play permastability class or what?

“Im speaker of Truth” – Mefiq.7039 2015

(edited by Mefiq.7039)

in PvP

Cogbyrn.7283

The reference to WvW roaming was used to illustrate how I understand where the emotion of frustration comes from when fighting the Thief class. WvW solo roaming is a known Thief playground, and has been since forever. I was also the first one to provide constructive criticism, without a hint of suggesting Thieves are OP. I’m not suggesting anything about PvP balance based on WvW experience. If you think I am, please read through my posts and highlight where.

Please. Some reading comprehension. It won’t hurt you to try.

in PvP

Shiiroi.6035

Thanks all for the answers, I wasn’t expecting that much. There is a few trolls but I saw there is also a lot of people that actually tried to help so I thank you a lot.
I already improved a bit against daredevils thanks to your tips, but I still need some training. I will keep on the work until I have no more problem with them.
I also created a thief so I can try out it’s skills and understand them better.

Many of you also seem to confuse Druid and Ranger. I’m not playing Druid, so when you say it’s easy using AOE / Daze / conditions, etc, I can’t.
I don’t really have a define build those days because I keep on changing it and trying different things in order to adapt. I’m usually running something like power survival, but I’m trying to tune it up a bit.
I’ll try the druid line to see if it can help, but I don’t feel like playing full druid.

Again, thanks for the help, I’ll try to learn and improve from this