How does matchmaking actually work

in PvP

Posted by: Bladicus.9078

Bladicus.9078

Hai there,

I was wondering how matchmaking actually works. The reason for this is because I have 2 accounts, one of them has a rating of 1860 and the other one has a rating of 1680 now. The other account was 1850, but the last 5 days I’ve been consistently getting harder and harder matches on this account, which just feels plain uncarryable (Like people dieing in 1 vs 2, even 1 vs 3, people dieing in 5 seconds at midfight, people dieing against classes they should have an advantage against , very bad rotation etc.), The matches I have on my 1860 account are like 3 times easier than the matches I have on my other account. So I was wondering how matchmaking works, does it like try to find 10 people and couple the 5 people with worst mmr? This could explain my sudden losing streak on my 1680 account, while as now I’m still consistently climbing on the other account (playing same class and build and alot of soloq on both accounts). If matchmaking was working properly, I should be climbing on the lower ranked account faster right?

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

I’m guessing that right now population is very low. If you you played the two accounts at different times of day (different population count) your match quality would vary a lot.

When there aren’t enough players in your mmr range, the matchmaker starts searching further out. I’ve been placed against an esl player while I’m in bronze ( unranked) to give an extreme example.

In another incident ( ranked ) I actually gained 5 rating points after a loss. The teams were that far out of being even.

Not much to do at this point but ride it out and hope for the best.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

I actually just updated the matchmaking wiki to be up-to-date if you’re interested, but I think your question has more to do with rating accuracy than matchmaking. Time of day definitely has an impact as well as day of the week. If we had an infinite population always playing, ratings would be wicked accurate.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/PvP_Matchmaking_Algorithm

If it makes you feel any better, I’ve also been getting dumpstered this last week. Maybe more people are trying harder towards the end of the season.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in PvP

Posted by: Dariya.9380

Dariya.9380

I actually just updated the matchmaking wiki to be up-to-date if you’re interested, but I think your question has more to do with rating accuracy than matchmaking. Time of day definitely has an impact as well as day of the week. If we had an infinite population always playing, ratings would be wicked accurate.

If it makes you feel any better, I’ve also been getting dumpstered this last week. Maybe more people are trying harder towards the end of the season.

Every single day I see completely clueless people in ranked matches (Gold 3) to a point where it’s too frustrating to keep playing. Ex: DH goes for the beast with Thief nearby, DH dies to the beast, beast stolen. Completely uncarryable situations.

If population is the issue, maybe make the season longer? Too much RNG affecting personal score.

in PvP

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Is that true where you get a separate rating for each profession? It would be awesome having a unique rating for each class because I feel stuck in rolling just one class sometimes.

Also, can we get the percentiles of each rating bracket?

in PvP

Posted by: alemfi.5107

alemfi.5107

Is that true where you get a separate rating for each profession? It would be awesome having a unique rating for each class because I feel stuck in rolling just one class sometimes.

Not Evan (obviously), but from what I know, it is tracked, but not used. Tracked so that in possible future adjustments/implementations of the match making, they can use their existing data. (Like queuing with a select pool of characters, or being able to queue from char selection screen etc.)

When ground-targetted bone minion explosions become a thing, I will change this signature.- 2013
http://twitch.tv/alemfi/

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

Not Evan (obviously), but from what I know, it is tracked, but not used. Tracked so that in possible future adjustments/implementations of the match making, they can use their existing data. (Like queuing with a select pool of characters, or being able to queue from char selection screen etc.)

This is correct. We have them, but do not use them.

in PvP

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Can we get this feature implemented in unranked? Have unranked display your personal rating (not visible to others) so that way you know how you rank as if you were playing ranked matches?

It’s helpful to see your own rating as it allows you to know how well your performing against others.

in PvP

Posted by: Khorg.2195

Khorg.2195

So….regarding matchmaking/teams… There’s multiple people posting threads on pvp teams in ranked.. yet you guys address everything but that. Can you at least acknowledge that a lot of your player base is upset about this?!?!

in PvP

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

So….regarding matchmaking/teams… There’s multiple people posting threads on pvp teams in ranked.. yet you guys address everything but that. Can you at least acknowledge that a lot of your player base is upset about this?!?!

It has been addressed already. They recognized there was some flaws in matchmaking and they would change some things during s6.

Evan, I think you said our rating would reflect our skill around ~200 games ( If it’s wrong tell me ). Do you know when the majority of the population reached that threshold ? I mean, in a perfect world, everyone would place themselves in the first quarter of the season then enjoy the game at their level of skill for the rest of the season.

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

It has been addressed already. They recognized there was some flaws in matchmaking and they would change some things during s6.

Evan, I think you said our rating would reflect our skill around ~200 games ( If it’s wrong tell me ). Do you know when the majority of the population reached that threshold ? I mean, in a perfect world, everyone would place themselves in the first quarter of the season then enjoy the game at their level of skill for the rest of the season.

There are changes to matchmaking coming for off-season. I’ve updated the wiki with the changes.

I just checked and it takes on average 43 (+/- 10) games to hit minimum deviation.

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

There are changes to matchmaking coming for off-season. I’ve updated the wiki with the changes.

I just checked and it takes on average 43 (+/- 10) games to hit minimum deviation.

Will these changes include a hard cap on skill rating to who is placed into your match?

I’ve been a little salty lately trying to climb as Silver against Platinum teams, Legendary players and even duo queuers who were top 20. I honestly wouldn’t mind the longer queue if it meant my skill rating was accurately reflected.

P.S: Good to see some red tags in the threads again.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

Something jumped out at me in the psuedo code. The off season max size for teams is 5. Does this mean ANET intends to pit premades vs randoms again in the off season?

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Something jumped out at me in the psuedo code. The off season max size for teams is 5. Does this mean ANET intends to pit premades vs randoms again in the off season?

Really? It specifically says on the unranked queue button ingame that the max queue size is 5 for unranked.

Yes you can run 5 mans in unranked. However the matchmaker tends to favor putting 5 mans against other groups, at least in my experience.

And why shouldn’t it have 5mans, are you seriously suggesting that people should never be allowed to run with guildies or friends in any mode?

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

The psuedo code shows a max of 5 for ranked in off season play. I think that would be a very serious mistake. It will drive off still more players.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Crinn.7864

The psuedo code shows a max of 5 for ranked in off season play. I think that would be a very serious mistake. It will drive off still more players.

Social bonds are the glue that holds players together. It’s what makes people log in everyday. Depriving players of the ability to play together socially and competitively destroys the biggest draw the mmorpg genre has.

The duo limitation was only placed on ranked because of the importance of standardizing the perceived value of ratings. There is no reason for removing groups from the casual queue.

YouTube

(edited by Crinn.7864)

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

Again, the code shows pre mades in ranked in the off season.

That would be re introducing a dynamic that lends itself to curb stomping and exploiting solos like myself.

I have nothing against premades per se. The trouble is that they have been and probably will be used as a tool to game the system and exploit.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Crinn.7864

Again, the code shows pre mades in ranked in the off season.

That would be re introducing a dynamic that lends itself to curb stomping and exploiting solos like myself.

I have nothing against premades per se. The trouble is that they have been and probably will be used as a tool to game the system and exploit.

Nobody does ranked in the off-season, and we would have been told if 5mans are being reinstated for the next season

I am curious that unranked has a 50ms limit while ranked has a 250ms limit.

YouTube

(edited by Crinn.7864)

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

This is correct. We have them, but do not use them.

Please use it and lock professions… It would greatly increase match quality especially if you balance sides after finding the 10 players (MMR, classes and team distribution).
Both feels mandatory to improve match quality and reduce blowouts.

in PvP

Posted by: Eiffel.8937

Eiffel.8937

please dont only look at classes only
but also at the builds they are using
you can have a big difference in your mmr depending on which kind of build you are using on one class

in PvP

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

please dont only look at classes only
but also at the builds they are using
you can have a big difference in your mmr depending on which kind of build you are using on one class

That’s just impossible to do in practice…How do you know which player is good with which build ? And against which composition.

I’m sure I do pretty well against a team of 2 DH with a p/p thief. But p/p is not viable against most compositions….

If you track every single build ( traits / sigils / weapons / runes / amulet ) with MMR, it’s not manageable….

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in PvP

Posted by: Khorg.2195

Khorg.2195

""Wargameur.6950:
Khorg.2195:
I just checked and it takes on average 43 (+/- 10) games to hit minimum deviation.""

Forgive me, but I didn’t specify what I fully meant.. I was a little upset when writing that, after 5 matchs in a row of people stating they gave up already because they’re just there for gear anyways…

What I meant was, people are upset about not being able to queue up as a 5 man. This seems silly to me.. That in competitive ranked play, I can’t guild group up.. Yet, When we do wanna team up, it kittenes off everyone in unranked, and they yell at us. I don’t really feel great about doing our pvp missions in unranked either and making new people suffer… Please guys.. You’re supposed to be the hardcore pvp devs.. you consider yourself competitive players..It’s why I’ve played this game since beta.. How can this junk sit well with you?