How does one counter dragon hunter?

in PvP

Posted by: Swagatron.8065

Swagatron.8065

I have no idea. It just teleports in and blows people up with unblockable CC/damage…

in PvP

Posted by: glaphen.5230

glaphen.5230

DH players will tell you everything, real counter is nothing.

in PvP

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

http://youtu.be/EedZ5kFAvSw

watch this. you’ll feel a bit silly when you realise how easy the traps are to avoid.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in PvP

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

watch this. you’ll feel a bit silly when you realise how easy the traps are to avoid.

Not this stupid video again…

You need to get away from them. They use PBAoE, so stay out of it as best you can. Teleport, dodge roll, use skills to create distance. Cross your fingers and hope no one CC’s you while you try to escape!

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in PvP

Posted by: Aylpse.6280

Aylpse.6280

Never engage a Dragonhunter on their terms, make them come for you, if you see them squat, dodge roll or go invuln. Bring projectile denial and Stability as well. Just in case.

Taking the higher moral ground since 1993.

in PvP

glaphen.5230

This video is a load of bullkitten. 1, none of this is on points, you can avoid the traps all you want but the traps are still there besides Fragments which is still there giving him 5 stacks of Aegis. He says the daze is an identifier but never actually shows it once in the entire video. He only dodges the maw because he knows it’s coming, he doesn’t dodge the maw animation, he dodges any trap animation, good thing the DH wasn’t hitting him with his weapons at the same time or any allies at all on the map. He says melee pressure but hurrpy durrpy durrp the only problem is the weak kitten traps and daze spam and knockbacks at melee range. You go ranged and his weapon is better than the rest of the range weapons since True Shot has low cooldown compared to volleys, a projectile destroying attack every 10 seconds and more basic attack damage the rest of weapons besides 1k plus range Ranger LB that does around the same.

in PvP

choovanski.5462

This video is a load of bullkitten. 1, none of this is on points, you can avoid the traps all you want but the traps are still there besides Fragments which is still there giving him 5 stacks of Aegis. He says the daze is an identifier but never actually shows it once in the entire video. He only dodges the maw because he knows it’s coming, he doesn’t dodge the maw animation, he dodges any trap animation, good thing the DH wasn’t hitting him with his weapons at the same time or any allies at all on the map. He says melee pressure but hurrpy durrpy durrp the only problem is the weak kitten traps and daze spam and knockbacks at melee range. You go ranged and his weapon is better than the rest of the range weapons since True Shot has low cooldown compared to volleys, a projectile destroying attack every 10 seconds and more basic attack damage the rest of weapons besides 1k plus range Ranger LB that does around the same.

i feel like I understand why you complain on the forums all the time.

you’re not observant & your problem solving skills & defeatist attitude will take you nowhere.

in PvP

Posted by: Serious Thought.5394

Serious Thought.5394

I just pull them to me then stunlock em. Easy peasy.

Worst Thief in the world, yes I am.

in PvP

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

Not this stupid video again…

You need to get away from them. They use PBAoE, so stay out of it as best you can. Teleport, dodge roll, use skills to create distance. Cross your fingers and hope no one CC’s you while you try to escape!

Thank you for pointing out the effort put in that video is stupid, much appreciated. It goes over EXACTLY how to avoid them if you fight one on point and it’s undeniable. Bait out the traps, wait for the traps to disengage(while LoSing) and then go in.

in PvP

glaphen.5230

you’re not observant & your problem solving skills & defeatist attitude will take you nowhere.

Great counter argument there. Try linking the video again maybe it will work this time.

in PvP

Posted by: cakeonroof.7385

cakeonroof.7385

try revenant

EU since Aug 2012

in PvP

glaphen.5230

try revenant

Yes Revenant is probably the only true counter in a 1 vs 1 but that is a broken class is the first place.

in PvP

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

my staff marauder druid eats dragon hunters for breakfast. I have mobility, stab, a couple of stun breaks and some big damage. stay at 1200 and bring him down with staff #1 spam and pet. dodge/block true shots and pulls. bait traps.

traps dragon hunter isn’t actually a competitive spec. it’s great for wiping scrubs though, and it’s hella irritating as a soloq q’er watching 3 of my teammates get one-shot by stacked traps on point.

in PvP

Posted by: Fizz.8763

Fizz.8763

Play Scrapper and fight op with op.

in PvP

choovanski.5462

Great counter argument there. Try linking the video again maybe it will work this time.

I’m not here to make you better at pvp. I actually don’t care if you lose all the time.
it’s not my problem that you can’t extract any useful information from the video. I’ve been able to learn from it and use it to improve my play and so have many others. I’m not having any problems with dragon hunter, but you are. refusing to learn won’t make you eat any less dirt.

in PvP

glaphen.5230

I’m not here to make you better at pvp. I actually don’t care if you lose all the time.
it’s not my problem that you can’t extract any useful information from the video. I’ve been able to learn from it and use it to improve my play and so have many others. I’m not having any problems with dragon hunter, but you are. refusing to learn won’t make you eat any less dirt.

Video doesn’t teach a single thing.

in PvP

choovanski.5462

¯\(?)

the only person you’re hurting is yourself

in PvP

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

I literally run circles around dragon hunters on my scrapper…no chance they can beat me. 1v1.

in PvP

choovanski.5462

I literally run circles around dragon hunters on my scrapper…no chance they can beat me. 1v1.

fist bump

u know how we do

in PvP

glaphen.5230

¯\(?)

the only person you’re hurting is yourself

Teach me what it taught you please. I didn’t learn a thing and everything it tries to teach just isn’t true or isn’t even useful.

in PvP

Posted by: Drennon.7190

Drennon.7190

Glaphe, I’ve pointed this out before and I’ll do it again. You are terrible at adapting to a changing game. Your play style is so predictable and always the same. You run to mid, whip out your shortbow, and spam 3/dodge in a circle hoping that your teammates get kills for you. You don’t like DH because it punishes your predictable play style. In fact every build you complain about, is a build that punishes your 3 spam.

Learn to adapt or deal with it.

Although you’ll probably just keep crying and raging in map chat.

Baer

in PvP

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

Try to force the DH to come to you, and if it teles be ready to dodge away from it and keep kiting. (Especially if your ranged).
Stability, stealth, invuln, maybe block. That sort of stuff helps also.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

in PvP

Swagatron.8065

But you can’t block, cause their traps will daze through your block. I feel like this is the strongest +1 class at the moment.

in PvP

Posted by: Terimac.5871

Terimac.5871

as a rev i just use hammer #3 on his traps.

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBunny.3681

BlackBunny.3681

You counter it by being range (lol jk they teleport on you drop all traps instantly and you die)…. lets keep it simple you counter a dragon hunter by rerolling dragon hunter.

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBunny.3681

BlackBunny.3681

Im on a unoffical oceanic server where most people play in the oceanic 200+ ms…. the timing on the dodge is impossible.

in PvP

Posted by: Inflames.8026

Inflames.8026

First off, Ive been against just how strong Dragonhunter is from the start. They have amazing survivabilty coupled with some great escapes, high damage and onpoint denial.
To figure out how to deal with dragonhunters you need to identify each one.

Some dragonhunters run full traps. Their whole gimmic is to lock you inside it and watch you die.quick and painful. They usually run marauder with s/f LB and are suspectable to condition damage. Here is the kicker tho. Its deadly to even try melee them because of low cd traps and insane damage. Make them chase you, then condi bomb and evade them is my best option for this. They also have scary block on focus and reasonable fire damage stack outside of traps.

Best tools is condi bombing, or substain
Counter classes: scrapper, cele signet necro, tempest aura ele, another DH, PU mesmer.

The secound you are likely to phase is a GS LB medi DH.
This build offers quick burst with GS in range and the heavy LB nuke on far.
This build offers plenty condi clear and burn stacking and quite good survivabilty through aegis. They will run the arena trap and thats it so its much safer as long as you bring enough condi clear and burst to take them down.
The dragon hunter will try and use GS 5 and F1 to pull you through the ring.
Best tools is burst, stuns and interupts
Counter profession is : Shatter mesmer, pewpew ranger, reaper, scrapper and again other DH.

While most would agree that this DH counters thief hard, a really good thief can try and poke the DH down. Its certainly in the DH favor but possible.

Feel free to share more or if you disagree with me.

in PvP

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

Im on a unoffical oceanic server where most people play in the oceanic 200+ ms…. the timing on the dodge is impossible.

That’s a legitimate excuse, those with decent latency shouldn’t be up in arms as much. At the end of the day, if your internet/latency is solid, it really is an issue of reaction timing.

in PvP

choovanski.5462

That’s a legitimate excuse, those with decent latency shouldn’t be up in arms as much. At the end of the day, if your internet/latency is solid, it really is an issue of reaction timing.

I’m in NZ and my ping ranges from 200-5000. I can dodge traps with that ping.

in PvP

choovanski.5462

in PvP

glaphen.5230

That is some ping, 11 minute late double post.

in PvP

Swagatron.8065

What does one do when in a team fight as a dps and the dragon hunter teleports onto them?

in PvP

Posted by: Inflames.8026

Inflames.8026

What does one do when in a team fight as a dps and the dragon hunter teleports onto them?

You dodge out of the cluster, look at what you are seeing and judging based on that.
Be ready to save one dodge incase of traps, have afinger on a teleport/blink skill.
That is, if you think the teamfight is in your favor.

If not, get out of there. The dragonhunter is aslow and docile animal.

in PvP

glaphen.5230

You dodge out of the cluster, look at what you are seeing and judging based on that.
Be ready to save one dodge incase of traps, have afinger on a teleport/blink skill.
That is, if you think the teamfight is in your favor.

If not, get out of there. The dragonhunter is aslow and docile animal.

Except for the free leap on F2, free pull on F1, GS pull and LB being an amazing ranged weapon.

in PvP

Posted by: grahf.7540

grahf.7540

It’s a good video. Not sure how people can say they learn nothing, well in that case you already knew most of the DH counters.

I think the main thing that the video misses is that it is very rare that you are fighting a DH 1v1 and he is only dropping 1 trap. In that scenario, yeah of course it is easy to dodge out of. But if he is placing traps intelligently, you can be smashed by 3-4 traps (dazed most of the time) in quick succession. During that time you are probably being bombed by his LB and maybe pulled by Justice. AND there is probably a big teamfight going on with lots of other kitten happening. Oh and if the DH had time to bunker up on the point, probably his traps are off CD now and you’ll have to deal with a 2nd wave of traps and you have no dodges or escapes left.

So while I am not discounting the validity of the counters in the video, I do think in real-world conditions it is never that easy.

in PvP

Posted by: Schurge.5194

Schurge.5194

It is easiest to counter DH on points because you know where the traps are. Unless you are playing a Thief it shouldn’t be hard to counter a DH fighting on point. It is harder to counter them on maps like Stronghold where you are in all likelihood not even paying attention to the DH.

Champion Phantom
We are not friends.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

It’s a definite L2P issue if people are saying they can’t beat a DH on fair 1v1 grounds. The same goes for Thieves, a class that has always had issues with Guardians in TPvP. At best, a good Thief will stalemate the fight until either two classes makes a mistake.

People need to talk about DH performances in a team vs team setting. DH is only as strong as the team he’s on and the comp he’s playing against. As an example, Necro/Thief/Mesmer is a worse comp for a DH compared to War/Engi/Ele.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Firebird.8324

Firebird.8324

Hit [insert your invlun or block/stab combo] and walk through traps, proceed to kill DH.

Over Powered Necro [dk] (Bird of Fire)
One spam to rule them all!
Mains Power Necro for team Radioactive[dk]

in PvP

Posted by: Evilek.5690

Evilek.5690

You counter it by being range (lol jk they teleport on you drop all traps instantly and you die)…. lets keep it simple you counter a dragon hunter by rerolling dragon hunter.

Wait a minute. Guardian teleport on you and instantly palce TRAPS with cast time and activate time ? This is really interesting.

Evilek lvl 80 Charr Thief Why no ?
Fredy Brimstone lvl 80 Mighty Warrior
Oupí lvl 80 Immortal Guardian

in PvP

Posted by: sinject.4607

sinject.4607

It’s a definite L2P issue if people are saying they can’t beat a DH on fair 1v1 grounds. The same goes for Thieves, a class that has always had issues with Guardians in TPvP. At best, a good Thief will stalemate the fight until either two classes makes a mistake.

People need to talk about DH performances in a team vs team setting. DH is only as strong as the team he’s on and the comp he’s playing against. As an example, Necro/Thief/Mesmer is a worse comp for a DH compared to War/Engi/Ele.

well to be fair war/engie/ele is a stronger comp for just about anything compared to three of the lower skill floor professions in the game.

the issue with thief is how bad shortbow is. without having a viable 1v1 ranged weapon (p/p can work in very specific matchups like DH but is very gimmicky and is overall a worse choice in most matchups, especially in tpvp) guardian is in general an uphill battle most of the time because greatsword will always win the melee fight and s/f or longbow will always beat thief’s shortbow making both approaches ultimately unsavory for the thief. you have to ridiculously outplay a DH to win with thief because of the shear volume of blocks, heals, and melee punishment that make DH a stupidly easy and forgiving build against any power build. now, if shortbow was made to be an offensively strong weapon (which it deserves to be at this point) it would help thief greatly with this hardcounter, same goes for making p/p a considerably more desirable choice.

but anyways, i don’t expect DH to be as strong as it is much longer given the fact it’s easier to play but yet more effective than every other power-oriented spec in the game. even power herald can’t compare.

i defended burn and medi gaurd because they were actually balanced, but there really is no defending this.

in PvP

Swagatron.8065

Hit [insert your invlun or block/stab combo] and walk through traps, proceed to kill DH.

Traps are unblockable and daze you. If a player is to [insert block/stab combo] and they get bursted the odds are that their block will be interrupted and they might actually have all their stab stacks burned through… That leaves [insert invuln here]. Not every class has access to invulns for 1. and 2. An invuln on a 60s CD < trap CDs. Favor: Dragon Hunter.

I’m not so much talking about 1 v 1s as team fights. You are in a team fight, as a mesmer or something. You get jumped on by a dragon hunter… you are dead. There is nothing you can do.

in PvP

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Traps are unblockable and daze you. If a player is to [insert block/stab combo] and they get bursted the odds are that their block will be interrupted and they might actually have all their stab stacks burned through… That leaves [insert invuln here]. Not every class has access to invulns for 1. and 2. An invuln on a 60s CD < trap CDs. Favor: Dragon Hunter.

I’m not so much talking about 1 v 1s as team fights. You are in a team fight, as a mesmer or something. You get jumped on by a dragon hunter… you are dead. There is nothing you can do.

Mesmer have teleports, stealth. You are doing something wrong.

in PvP

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

Traps are unblockable

You are missinformed, only one of them is unblockable.

9 Guardians later…

in PvP

Posted by: Adjust.6903

Adjust.6903

I play rev necro and dh. I absolutely destroy dh in nu necro its hilarious. Gonna play a bit on nu druid also and when i watch rom, he also destroys them.

Far too much whining on official forums

in PvP

Posted by: grahf.7540

grahf.7540

Reaper is definitely one of the counters to DH, true. Tons of HP, can sustain through traps. AND can put out lots of different conditions, which is the main weakness of DH – no reliable condi cleanse.

That said, playing DH I’ve only extremely rarely been killed by Reaper. Most of them play GS and they just get dazed and kited to death. I think once people learn Reaper better, it will counter DH very well.

in PvP

Posted by: triggerhappy.3871

triggerhappy.3871

Traps are unblockable

You are missinformed, only one of them is unblockable.

He informed that daze is unblockable.

And you know F1 is unblockable, right?
F1 connects to pull.

Blocking in 6 sec Maw barrier is waiting for death.

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Playing against a trap guard is easy, getting punished severely for not paying attention seems fair to me.

Mesmers and rangers and MM necros: Use your AI to activate traps.

Every other class, just range them down for a while, before you go on point make sure to dodge or use an invul skill before hand, if you’re rev use that damage converts to heal skill or what ever…

If a DH teleports to you, dodge strait away! don’t wait for him to place traps, just kittening dodge! You know what he’s going to do, don’t wait for it, DODGE!

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in PvP

Swagatron.8065

Buuuut the DH is behind a wall and starts to lay a trap and ports to you. Its an instant trap!

in PvP

Posted by: Brew Pinch.5731

Brew Pinch.5731

Avoid traps.

Carry at least one stunbreak or have some available stability.

Kite.

Marauder Trap DH is just as easy to beat as any other easymode Reddit cheese build designed to dominate PvE-ers.

The trick to fighting DH is to best avoid triggering it’s whopping 9k+ heal trap, the rest are essentially negligible as you can stunbreak and dodge out of their radius and the profession otherwise does meager damage, almost all of which can be kitted, interrupted or mitigated (block, evade, Invuln, dodge).

If you treat the DH like some PvE NPC though, you’ll get completely wrecked. Just as you would any PvP build.

How people are complaining about DH traps or Rev Unrelenting Assault is beyond me when we’ve all had months to get used to similar yet arguably much more potent burst builds like Rampage Warrior or Well/Lich Necro.

There seems to be boatloads of unskilled players flooding to PvP though, maybe these complaints are all coming from new players, I don’t know.
It is nice to have so many people interested in playing PvP if that is the case, but it is eyebrow-raising to see so much qq directed at such simple builds.

(edited by Brew Pinch.5731)

in PvP

Posted by: AWACS.6537

AWACS.6537

Channel your inner Admiral Akbar and avoid the traps.
If you absolutely have to go through the traps, avoid walking over test of faith too many times, you may get knocked in and out for massive damage.

Dragon’s Maw is also a killer, you’ll be trapped unless you have a means to escape, so remember if that particular dragonhunter is using that elite or not, some guardians say it is useless, but I find it to be a lethal tool.

When you get hit by a spear of justice, there’s a solid chance that you’ll be pulled into a barrage of traps, so watch out. Position yourself between an object if you have to, or dodge the spear. I found that pulling foes into a maw combined with procession of blades to be a deadly combo for enemy targets with no valid escape options.

Interrupt the healing skill if you can, the one with wings, as it can be interrupted and you can deny a heal to the enemy team. If you don’t, you’ll be punished by a healed dragonhunter who also may have just healed some of his people.

Notice the patterns of traps. If he puts it right on you, there probably isn’t another trap around, at least, not the same trap. If he dumps his whole load on you, then you’ll have an opening after the traps are wasted. Also, traps from dragonhunter have a distinct audio cue, listen for those.

Also, if they don’t drop them at your feet, there are probably traps at chokepoints. This is to control movement and punish players who walk into the trap. ’It’s a trap!’ Preemptive activation of the traps will essentially waste the trap for them, unless you get pulled back into the trap. Also, if you’re playing with conditions, don’t hit the giant blue shield. Every block will remove a condition if they’re running hunter’s fortification.

Again, the elite is lethal, especially if you are mainly melee and have nothing to defend yourself with and nothing to escape with.

Classes with blocks, invulnerablity, or a way to teleport out, will have a better chance of avoiding the upcoming burst that usually comes after the maw.

No.