How is the PvP these days?

in PvP

Posted by: Alleviated.6930

Alleviated.6930

So I quit WoW a few months ago after playing for 10 years, being primarily a PvP’er, and I’m looking to scratch that MMO itch. I know WoW isn’t getting any better so I’ve come back to GW2 that I bought on launch day but only got to like level 12 before quitting.

I played about 2 hours today and can say I’m really enjoying it and I’m looking to buy the expansion to get the free boost and get into some PvP. The question I’m looking to have some input on is, for casual PvP… how is the game? I’m not sure what would equate to battleground from WoW (10v10/15v15/40v40) type games, but how do those stack up? How is WvW?

Thanks for your input.

in PvP

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

I’m not a PvPer, but just want to note that you can immediately enter PvP, no need to wait for level 80.

in PvP

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

With such a low-level character, the shortcut keys/options may not be available. You can travel to Lion’s Arch and use the Portals to enter the PvP Lobby, or WvW, though, and check them out for yourself. =)

Good luck.

in PvP

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Spvp is a better pvp experience than WvW in my opinion. A lot of hardcore pvpers will tell you it’s broken beyond repair and “muh elite spec power creep” but it’s really not that bad for casual players. Maybe I find it fun because I’m not interested in reaching MLG diamond platinum Mt. Dew™ Doritos™ league… I try to win but I don’t let it ruin my day if we lose. Everyone’s experience is different. What I find fun about pvp is different from what others find.

The best part of spvp over WvW is a more consistent experience. You queue up, find a match, and play. In WvW its a gamble. Some days there might be a commander. Sometimes none. Sometimes you might get ganked by thieves while trying meet up with your team across the map. Its not as straight forward or consistent as spvp.

WvW itself seems pretty dead. It was an awesome concept 4 years ago, but they neglected it far too much. The new map is a ghost town. No one plays it. I think a combination of toxic community and Anet neglect put WvW on a slow death spiral and it’s just now reaching rock bottom…

(edited by Xenon.4537)

in PvP

Posted by: iKeostuKen.2738

iKeostuKen.2738

WvW is basically follow the leader and spam all your aoe and cleanses as much as possible while running in a zerg.

PvP just sucks beyond belief. Its actually the worst it has ever been, the esport being shut down supports this. Useless builds, slow balance patches, low build diversity, buggy movements (will randomly get stuck on nothing), Projectile issues (Many times projectiles will go out of range when your upclose to players), Burst builds that can negate a lot of damage (while still fighting back).

I dont think this can compare to WoW at all.

in PvP

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

WvW is basically follow the leader and spam all your aoe and cleanses as much as possible while running in a zerg.

PvP just sucks beyond belief. Its actually the worst it has ever been, the esport being shut down supports this. Useless builds, slow balance patches, low build diversity, buggy movements (will randomly get stuck on nothing), Projectile issues (Many times projectiles will go out of range when your upclose to players), Burst builds that can negate a lot of damage (while still fighting back).

WOW pvp is an utter power creeping mess and has been for many years, don’t think it compares to any mmo out there including GW.

RE WVW, don’t follow the leader unless there’s some big juicy fights on the go or you want to farm, its a lot more fun.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

in PvP

iKeostuKen.2738

WOW pvp is an utter power creeping mess and has been for many years, don’t think it compares to any mmo out there including GW.

RE WVW, don’t follow the leader unless there’s some big juicy fights on the go or you want to farm, its a lot more fun.

Can you even do max level pvp without paying for the expansion in WoW? Pretty sure its gated.

Depending on your server you may just be out of luck cause all youl see is Outnumbered more then 50% of the time. Without a Commander pushing players through WvW, it just seems empty and half complete since i havent ever stumbled upon players using actual tactics outside of storming abandoned towers and keeps.

in PvP

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Gw2 pvp isn’t perfect but it’s not even remotely as bad a WoW… I’ve played both. WoW pvp is a joke. It is beyond stupid.

in PvP

Posted by: MyPuppy.8970

MyPuppy.8970

Quite salty, but it’s ok if you take it with a glass of water. Other than that, it looks like a ghost town. Or a small village where everyone knows each other, and where you can’t avoid people you don’t want to meet.

Lily Bertine [NG]/[GiRL]
Nerfentalist of Augury Rock

in PvP

Alleviated.6930

What does spvp stand for, folks? And what is a fun class to heal with in PvP. I’m not looking for OP, just pure fun.

(edited by Alleviated.6930)

in PvP

iKeostuKen.2738

Structured pvp. Class to heal with, Thinking Mantra Mesmer, Guardian(Meditation), Druid(Ranger). You could try your luck with engineer healing but thats…really unloved and probably will never see change.

in PvP

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Spvp= Structured PvP, basically the same as Wow arenas 5v5 on capture point maps, like Arathi basin, but much smaller.

As for pvp in both games, wow doesn’t exactly have power creep as gw2. You’re placed in brackets to your level, if you’re level 110 you’re playing with expansion players who all have access to the same, if you playing the base game up to level 100 you’re playing with those players, not the 110 players so whatever they got won’t affect you. The problem with Wow is they revamped classes this pass expansion and have some work to do still on balancing them, the developer for pvp seems to be kind of an idiot as well so meh.

For gw2 you can play spvp right away as you’re always boosted to level 80 in there, gear doesn’t matter, all accounts play in the same pool, free to play vanilla and expansion accounts. But the difference is free to play or vanilla players don’t have access to elite specs, which are all pretty much better than vanilla specs, so expansion players have an advantage in that.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

(edited by Xenesis.6389)

in PvP

Posted by: Rukia.9860

Rukia.9860

Gw2 pvp isn’t perfect but it’s not even remotely as bad a WoW… I’ve played both. WoW pvp is a joke. It is beyond stupid.

It’s not that bad especially 3v3 arena, the joke is gear in pvp which completely ruins it !

GW2 pvp is better than anything else on the market (MMO), but that isn’t saying much to be honest, mainly cuz there is no grind to it.

in PvP

Alleviated.6930

Spvp= Structured PvP, basically the same as Wow arenas 5v5 on capture point maps, like Arathi basin, but much smaller.

As for pvp in both games, wow doesn’t exactly have power creep as gw2. You’re placed in brackets to your level, if you’re level 110 you’re playing with expansion players who all have access to the same, if you playing the base game up to level 100 you’re playing with those players, not the 110 players so whatever they got won’t affect you. The problem with Wow is they revamped classes this pass expansion and have some work to do still on balancing them, the developer for pvp seems to be kind of an idiot as well so meh.

For gw2 you can play spvp right away as you’re always boosted to level 80 in there, gear doesn’t matter, all accounts play in the same pool, free to play vanilla and expansion accounts. But the difference is free to play or vanilla players don’t have access to elite specs, which are all pretty much better than vanilla specs, so expansion players have an advantage in that.

So there’s no instanced pvp between 5v5 and WvW? Like no 15v15?

That’s a shame.

in PvP

iKeostuKen.2738

Last time i played, Wow had a system set in place to help handle CC, diminishing returns and healers to outheal who gets focused. Unlike this game where theres only really 3 ways with how many spammable CCs there actually are. Condi clear shouldnt be whats used to clear CC either.

We also have energy, they could implement a system that uses up our energy when hit with a CC. Make it punishable if the player didnt dodge by draining their energy depending on what the CC is. But first, remove homing and lunging attacks. These have horrible pathing and need to just let the player run the course themselves. Skills like warriors Rush where itl run the distance, pause at times and then attack.

Burns need to be extinguished with rolls as well.
Immobolize should not allow a player to evade, but still allow them to move cause as it is now, its basically a stun atm.
Remove CD for failed cast since daze is a thing. (When a skill gets interrupted because a player moves out of sight before the skill actually comes out).

in PvP

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

What does spvp stand for, folks? And what is a fun class to heal with in PvP. I’m not looking for OP, just pure fun.

pvp stand for player vs point
stand still for win
ezpz

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in PvP

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

So there’s no instanced pvp between 5v5 and WvW? Like no 15v15?

That’s a shame.

No, but that’s what wvw would provide as you can do anything from solo roam, havoc size 5-10, 15-25 organized groups or GuildvsGuild, 25+ zerg/blobs on a public commander tag.

In a way wvw is a massive sized Alterac Valley that’s constantly going.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in PvP

Posted by: Toll Booth Willie.6723

Toll Booth Willie.6723

I haven’t played wow since Lich King and have only been on this about a year, but I find pvp and wvw both pretty fun to play. If for different reasons.

PvP is what i would imagine what a 5v5 would have been like in wow. I dig the gearing one gets in pvp via the amulets and sigil normalization, everyone gets the same stat pool to choose from. It’s a good way to test out new toons as well at max level, see if you like them or not before committing to leveling it up. HoT has the elite specs which vanilla does not, which is a thing but still doable to a degree if you’re not looking to go hard in the paint.

WvW is more gear dependent in that you can just swap out stats like in pvp. Ascended gears are ideal but you can get by with exotics just fine pretty much and getting trinkets (asc. ones) to offset the difference more is pretty easy. More build viability in wvw somewhat, which means you can get by with more non-HoT specs. Can be boring if there is no commander, is pretty server dependent on how the pairings will fair, kind of like the old farm-able brackets in wow when you still got marks from bgs. Solo roaming is an options in wvw which I enjoy maybe more so than the big zergs, though my computer is kitten, game lag in 30v30 “fights”. (on that note the game itself runs pretty well)

*The expansion goes on sale every so often so it may be worth it to wait, especially if you already have Gw2. I miss some of my toons from wow but for me at least this game has been pretty fun and scratches that itch. There is some merit surrounding the common complaints but it’s not total doom, and the devs here, imo, seem to pay a fair amount of attention to the forums unlike what i recall of wow’s fables blue ghost crawler (?) admin post(s) in those forums.

TLDR: I’ve played wow, this is pretty decent imo. Pvp and Wvw can both be pretty fun.
…and yea it’s pretty salty, but it may be a good ham yet.

Sick Leg – Asura Necro
“The state charges a dollar-twenty five pop.”

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

There is more to WvW that following a tag as a mindless zergling. Personally i roam either in a duo or upto 5-6 players. We move around to where fights are and take on group quite a bit bigger than ourselves. A lot of fun actually.

PvP i cant tell you how Season 6 is because ive not played any ranked matches this season. Only unranked matches. Most of my time is in WvW this season.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in PvP

Posted by: Rodzynald.5897

Rodzynald.5897

True, I left WoW pvp for the sake of GW2 pvp and it is much better. However nowadays pvp has some painful flaws but once I look back at WoW’s combat system I feel that it is not that bad (it needs to get better though).
My best PvP experience in GW2 was pre-HoT, now there is a lot of talk about “muh powercreep” and it appears to be silly at first, but later on it gets tedious and sometimes it really gets down on one’s nerves, especially when you recall good’ol pre-HoT pvp (excluding cele ele).
In the end of the day, I recommend PvP in here. It is still the best of all that I have encountered until now.

Guardian is meant for jolly crusading.