How many people quit because....

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

They insta-made everyone rank 80 with one patch?

I knew so many dudes who were grinding a ton to get to rank 80. Those people all quit because there was no rank system anymore.

It was maybe the strangest decision ever made. It seemed like someone who thought they knew everything about the game got giving free reign to just let their ideas run rough-shot unchecked over the game.

In fact that is what development has felt like for pvp on this game for 18 months or so. There seems no checks and balances on ideas at anet with some terrible ideas just suddenly popping up on live servers when nobody ever asked for them.

I have little hope for the expansion. It is like if ONE person (any of us) was put in charge of an aspect of the game it would suck. It is hard to find our own mistakes. Seems like collabarative development truely was just a PR exercise.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I’m surprised they didn’t make it like WvW ranks where you can still gain “PvP Rank” after hitting 80, and all it does is increase the number it shows.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in PvP

Posted by: Random Weird Guy.3528

Random Weird Guy.3528

I knew so many dudes who were grinding a ton to get to rank 80. Those people all quit because there was no rank system anymore.

It was maybe the strangest decision ever made. It seemed like someone who thought they knew everything about the game got giving free reign to just let their ideas run rough-shot unchecked over the game.

In fact that is what development has felt like for pvp on this game for 18 months or so. There seems no checks and balances on ideas at anet with some terrible ideas just suddenly popping up on live servers when nobody ever asked for them.

I have little hope for the expansion. It is like if ONE person (any of us) was put in charge of an aspect of the game it would suck. It is hard to find our own mistakes. Seems like collabarative development truely was just a PR exercise.

People quit because they couldn’t grind in a game that was advertised as being non-grindy? Right.

In saying that though, LEADERBOARDS LOL.

Random Engineering // Trixxti // Random Noises (worst thief eu)
Svanir Appreciation Society [SAS]

in PvP

Posted by: GhOst.4019

GhOst.4019

Rank means nothing………………Skill means everything. If someone quit because rank 80 was easier to get to, they probably were hiding their horrible skill behind their high rank they had to grind.

I don’t remember people quitting GW2 all together because lvl 80 was to easy to get to in PvE compared to other MMO’s. People were happy. I don’t remember people quitting the game after tomes were introduced allowing players to get insta 80 on new characters…….

Makes no sense…

Also, if they quit, I am pretty sure you won’t hear from them because they aren’t here….they quit.

#1 Player Granada
#1 Player Comoros

in PvP

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

If their only purpose was to grind rank they were going to quit sooner or later, so I am not really seeing the point you are attempting to make here. You are supposedly a smart guy, you should know that.

What you call terrible ideas might simply just be a difference in opinion. You assume your goals and arenanet’s goals are similar and that is not true. Also I really don’t understand the point of your last paragraph or are you just ranting?

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

If their only purpose was to grind rank they were going to quit sooner or later, so I am not really seeing the point you are attempting to make here. You are supposedly a smart guy, you should know that.

What you call terrible ideas might simply just be a difference in opinion. You assume your goals and arenanet’s goals are similar and that is not true. Also I really don’t understand the point of your last paragraph or are you just ranting?

^ That. The last paragraph is his rant about the expansion… His opinion of which I’m sure most of us disagrees with.

Never heard of anyone quitting because of no more “PvP Rank 80” grind… Rank means absolutely nothing. However, removing rewards, and titles is a completely different story.
If a patch removed these titles, and I was a few games away to get Legendary Champion, I’d be furiated!

Furiated: A word used in place of “infuriated” when one feels too angry to spell “infuriated” correctly.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Rank means nothing………………Skill means everything. If someone quit because rank 80 was easier to get to, they probably were hiding their horrible skill behind their high rank they had to grind.

I don’t remember people quitting GW2 all together because lvl 80 was to easy to get to in PvE compared to other MMO’s. People were happy. I don’t remember people quitting the game after tomes were introduced allowing players to get insta 80 on new characters…….

Makes no sense…

Also, if they quit, I am pretty sure you won’t hear from them because they aren’t here….they quit.

Saying rank means nothing is ridiculous.

The point is, for me grinding rank meant nothing. For you maybe it meant nothing. For a ton of people in this thread apparently it meant nothing.

But so what???

To SOME people it did matter. And they removed the feature (in effect). What is the point in that? What harm was it doing to anyone to have a ranking system which didn’t just auto put everyone at rank 80?

That is the point. Why remove something like the rank system that some people played because of? It makes no logical sense. None at all. Their reason was that it took too long to rank up. Well who cares. Let the people who want to go for it rank up. If your not bothered then no problem.

It would be like removing dungeons because the devs/alot of people dont care about them. But SOME people do care about them.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

GhOst.4019

Removing dungeons and rank grind is the worst analogy I have ever heard…

Secondly, no game creator/ developer can make 100% of people happy. I guarantee their reasoning was to get more people into PvP because some outside of it thought that rank mattered when technically, (playing wise) it does not. Then more people came in because it was more on par with getting to lvl 80 in PvE in time spent terms.

I lost all my games played in tournaments when the switch happened. 1700 tournaments played just disappeared off my stats and didn’t merge with games played. Some players it merged and some were somehow forgotten. I was a little peeved but got over it in a week. Why? Because rank & games played doesn’t prove you are a good player. Put the person in a match and then you can SEE how good they are.

It may have mattered to you and some others more than some. In the big picture, it means nothing. Look at all the people at the beginning of the game exploited and got to rank 80 in a couple weeks. Most were banned, some were missed. Then you see people in chat saying R70 lfg and the game has only been out a few weeks. Those players got ignored and no one wanted them because of their rank; knowing they hadn’t played a single match that would have contributed to them being even semi skilled.

#1 Player Granada
#1 Player Comoros

in PvP

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

Lowering rank requirements was a good change! I think they should’ve rewarded anyone 65+ before the update but instead those players received the least rewards! LOL! Anet logic! There is no greater #rekt than slaving away for hours at your computer playing this game’s stagnant PvP and Skyhammer for literally years and receiving less rewards than a casual rank 50 player! I’m surprised Chaith, Ostrich Eggs, Marvin, and the other r70+ still play after that huge slap in the face! Well… I know why Chaith still plays! Easy money because of the nonexistent competitive scene! But the others! Crazy guys!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

in PvP

Posted by: SYPHA.9283

SYPHA.9283

Removing dungeons and rank grind is the worst analogy I have ever heard…

Secondly, no game creator/ developer can make 100% of people happy. I guarantee their reasoning was to get more people into PvP because some outside of it thought that rank mattered when technically, (playing wise) it does not. Then more people came in because it was more on par with getting to lvl 80 in PvE in time spent terms.

I lost all my games played in tournaments when the switch happened. 1700 tournaments played just disappeared off my stats and didn’t merge with games played. Some players it merged and some were somehow forgotten. I was a little peeved but got over it in a week. Why? Because rank & games played doesn’t prove you are a good player. Put the person in a match and then you can SEE how good they are.

It may have mattered to you and some others more than some. In the big picture, it means nothing. Look at all the people at the beginning of the game exploited and got to rank 80 in a couple weeks. Most were banned, some were missed. Then you see people in chat saying R70 lfg and the game has only been out a few weeks. Those players got ignored and no one wanted them because of their rank; knowing they hadn’t played a single match that would have contributed to them being even semi skilled.

No one said rank made you a good player. He was simply stating(ill restate it for u so u can understand) some do enjoy the rank grind, alot infact. Removing it was useless and the analogy comparing it to the dungeons was spot on.

I enjoyed the rank grind… as a matter of fact. When they updated ranks and made them so casuals could get rank easily, it made my grind (that i enjoyed) a wasted time. Some do like to see titles, some do like to grind titles. Everyone has a niche in this game they enjoy.

Just because the OP ideas and yours don’t coincide, does not make him wrong.

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

Makes no sense…

The point is, for me grinding rank meant nothing. For you maybe it meant nothing. For a ton of people in this thread apparently it meant nothing.

But so what???

To SOME people it did matter. And they removed the feature (in effect). What is the point in that? What harm was it doing to anyone to have a ranking system which didn’t just auto put everyone at rank 80?

That is the point. Why remove something like the rank system that some people played because of? It makes no logical sense. None at all. Their reason was that it took too long to rank up. Well who cares. Let the people who want to go for it rank up. If your not bothered then no problem.

It would be like removing dungeons because the devs/alot of people dont care about them. But SOME people do care about them.

Terrible comparison.
1) There are 100x more pve players.
2) The majority of which do dungeons on a daily. Anet would never remove such huge content from the game.

The pvp rank patch changes affects a small percentage of the PvP community. The change affected <1% GW2 player base as a whole!
Here’s an example. If the GW2 population was 500, only 1 person left, if that.

A lot of people were using PvP ranks as a skill comparison. The Rank could be confusing for many players. I’m sure Anet had their own reasons for changing it.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Sebastian.4610

Sebastian.4610

grindboards i mean .. leaderboards and poor match making have made me stray away from the game. I only log in to flip stuff on trade post and daily login reward =/

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

Makes no sense…

Im sorry thats just you, i also know about 10 people who quit playing the game and 5 more who dont play nearly as much. Im sorry but when you were rank 65(1 of my friends) and rank 72(a person from my guild) and your doing these ranked games. Ranked games with tickets and winning to get the titles and finishers exclusive to pvp. That means something, your idea that they werent good is 1 idiotic and 2 your other point about the tomes is exactly the point. PvP players had nothing to strive for since they “PvP” and not pve and they might have had no intersnt in pve.

in PvP

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

People need to let this go, it’s almost been a year now since it happened. It was a change for the better. Did higher rank players get screwed over? Yes, I was +60r when it happened, and it was rough. However, it was the way Anet handled it, if they would have just gave high ranked players something ( exclusive title, weapon, or whatever) nobody probably would have had an issue.

So yeah, it was a good change, just handled terribly.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in PvP

kdaddy.5431

Makes no sense…

But so what???

Terrible comparison.
1) There are 100x more pve players.
2) The majority of which do dungeons on a daily. Anet would never remove such huge content from the game.

The pvp rank patch changes affects a small percentage of the PvP community. The change affected <1% GW2 player base as a whole!
Here’s an example. If the GW2 population was 500, only 1 person left, if that.

A lot of people were using PvP ranks as a skill comparison. The Rank could be confusing for many players. I’m sure Anet had their own reasons for changing it.

You mean like the grindy leader boards? Or people who arent good in pvp and still talk. Or the old solo que players who wont ajust to playing with a team. Maybe the people who cant beat the cheese builds like turret engy which by the way i cant beat on every class except thief and mesmer and i know people who handle turret engys easy with those classes. OR maybe the other million ways people compare ranks.

You tell me if its better, seeing someone whos a elite player trolling newer characters with the deer and dolyak finisher in unranked/ranked games or the player whos never used a thief,mesmer, or warrior with the dragon finisher complaining everything is op.

Heres the truth, people left the game because of the pvp patch and you find it ok cause it was a small group. I hate that notion because lets have you spend money on a game. Work really hard to get to shark/phoenix and almost dragon finisher and anet say well who cares about this small group of players. Lets tell them to go **** themselves. Also the people i knew from Fort trinity who had 5 level 70’s in premade and Galaxy Princesses who were all 68+ level premades in pvp left the game because they didnt want to pve. I hate that patch and i hate the fact we have people who say who cares about the players trying to achieve soemthing in the game.

Seriously, there was no grind for gear. No grind for bosses. No grind for anything, gw2 has become one of the easiest mmos ive ever played and yet this community was still like its too hard to get dragon finisher, make it easy for me and they did it. PvP was the one place i could get a challenge from a content and a competitve aspect. Now i either dominate new dragon players coming in/ or lose terrible to elite premades especially before these big tourneys for money. So tell me why shouldnt i care about that patch since a ruined a big part of the game for many?

in PvP

kdaddy.5431

People need to let this go, it’s almost been a year now since it happened. It was a change for the better. Did higher rank players get screwed over? Yes, I was +60r when it happened, and it was rough. However, it was the way Anet handled it, if they would have just gave high ranked players something ( exclusive title, weapon, or whatever) nobody probably would have had an issue.

Explain how its better and for who? How about add all the new things from pvp to pve but keep the ranking system, would that have been so bad? Also its hard for some of us to get over it, when you play with people for 1 year plus in pvp and then they just stop playing because there voices werent heard. Am i just suppose to not say anything when my friends are like wow, they really just threw us aside? I really love the gw2 lore and story behind the fights and find it to be the best mmo out there but i lost around 3 guild members and 5 people i use to mumble with who no longer play the game. It changes the playing situation for people still playing the game. Are you suggesting i have no right to complain?

in PvP

Harbinger.8637

Explain how its better and for who? How about add all the new things from pvp to pve but keep the ranking system, would that have been so bad? Also its hard for some of us to get over it, when you play with people for 1 year plus in pvp and then they just stop playing because there voices werent heard. Am i just suppose to not say anything when my friends are like wow, they really just threw us aside? I really love the gw2 lore and story behind the fights and find it to be the best mmo out there but i lost around 3 guild members and 5 people i use to mumble with who no longer play the game. It changes the playing situation for people still playing the game. Are you suggesting i have no right to complain?

Higher rank requirements were ridiculous to achieve, lowering the rank requirement brought new players into pvp because they are actually achievable now, without living in the Mists.

You have every right to complain. Like I stated, I was upset about it too. However, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Overall it was a better change, however it was handled poorly.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in PvP

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

They did give people something, they kept a system they wanted to get rid of. Keeping rank was their way of throwing a bone to people who enjoy torturing themselves.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in PvP

kdaddy.5431

Higher rank requirements were ridiculous to achieve, lowering the rank requirement brought new players into pvp because they are actually achievable now, without living in the Mists.

You have every right to complain. Like I stated, I was upset about it too. However, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Overall it was a better change, however it was handled poorly.

Im sorry you didnt answer my question,

1) who was the patch for?
2) it benefited who and to already reply didnt they get what they wanted when they made dungeons/bosses/world events easier? Not to mention making legendarys easier to make, the laurel system, asceneded weapons and armor for those bored in pve.
3) what did the leave for the serious pvper?
4) What needs did the many have to have that the few earned?

If were gonna play he has what i want why cant you make it easier for me game, lets play the abjured rolled my team in the tourney so can we make it so they have to face my team 4 vs 5?

in PvP

Harbinger.8637

2) it benefited who and to already reply didnt they get what they wanted when they made dungeons/bosses/world events easier? Not to mention making legendarys easier to make, the laurel system, asceneded weapons and armor for those bored in pve.

If were gonna play he has what i want why cant you make it easier for me game, lets play the abjured rolled my team in the tourney so can we make it so they have to face my team 4 vs 5?

The patch was for the gw2 community as a whole, they wanted pvp to feel less disconnected with the rest of the game. They did this by adding the reward system, lowering the rank requirements, adding ways to level up in pvp, and also with the wardrobe. This gave a lot of meaning to players, since pvp progression didn’t halt their pve/wvw progression and vice versa.

If you want to sit here and complain about something that happened almost a year ago, be my guest. However, it’s not going to change anything, nor will it turn back time and revert the changes.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

(edited by Harbinger.8637)

in PvP

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

I don’t blame you for being jaded, pvp is still unfinished in my eyes. However, the bigger picture must be seen.

Anet only have so much on their plate in developing GW2, so pvp is what it is. For the most part I accept it. I support the reward tracks, matchmaking, current leaderboard systems, but there IS one thing I DO NOT accept & that is merging the arenas.

When SoloQ was taken out of the game in favor of TeamQ of unranked/ranked, it ruined pvp competition & favored teams over individuals. So now soloQers need a team(5 or less) just to compete and stay alive. People of all skill levels are affected by this, hotjoiners, solos, teams, pros, EVERYONE. Nobody can get a good game.

Of course there’s exceptions in skill, but for the most part, to go SoloQ is to go to A LIONS’ DEN.

THIS is the thing Anet needs to correct if they want a healthy pvp community. To do that, you need to restrict the teams to ranked just like before. It’s the ONLY way out or pvp is dead and buried.

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

I don’t blame you for being jaded, pvp is still unfinished in my eyes. However, the bigger picture must be seen.

Anet only have so much on their plate in developing GW2, so pvp is what it is. For the most part I accept it. I support the reward tracks, matchmaking, current leaderboard systems, but there IS one thing I DO NOT accept & that is merging the arenas.

When SoloQ was taken out of the game in favor of TeamQ of unranked/ranked, it ruined pvp competition & favored teams over individuals. So now soloQers need a team(5 or less) just to compete and stay alive. People of all skill levels are affected by this, hotjoiners, solos, teams, pros, EVERYONE. Nobody can get a good game.

Of course there’s exceptions in skill, but for the most part, to go SoloQ is to go to A LIONS’ DEN.

THIS is the thing Anet needs to correct if they want a healthy pvp community. To do that, you need to restrict the teams to ranked just like before. It’s the ONLY way out or pvp is dead and buried.

+9000

Can’t imagine playing Premade (in any form bigger than duo) vs Solo in Esportz.

in PvP

JTGuevara.9018

Thanks for the bump, Morwath.

It’s important that this message gets continously stressed, that with the merging of arenas. THIS is the one thing causing all the mismatches and what Anet needs to correct. THIS is the one thing that didn’t need to be changed.

in PvP

Posted by: SYPHA.9283

SYPHA.9283

It’s important that this message gets continously stressed, that with the merging of arenas. THIS is the one thing causing all the mismatches and what Anet needs to correct. THIS is the one thing that didn’t need to be changed.

Of course ANET needed to change it. Their precious few tournament teams didn’t have anyone to queue with for practice. No one was joining team queues because they were tired of getting rekt by the top teams. So, in anets infinite wisdom,,,lets combine the queues so the top .005% of the pvp population that is good enuff for tournaments can get some practice. **** the general population, they wanna be E-sports sooo bad, they are just going to cater to the few.

in PvP

kdaddy.5431

I disagree with this aswell, according to some of the top PvP players in eu. NA has far more people in pvp yet our teams are not as good. Helesth and Blu talked about the solo que mentality of alot players and how its ruined competitive play in na. Blu went on to say that The Abjured would struggle when they do these money tourneys in eu because there community is far more competitive even though its much smaller.

in PvP

Posted by: Mighty Assasin.3816

Mighty Assasin.3816

I am a huge salt lord about this topic.

PvP progression is stale if you don’t care about reward tracks since the rewards are meh. Would rather have an exclusive title/finisher/weapons/armor to work towards and be able to show off rather than some dungeon armor/weapons or more worthless ascended mats.

-Glorious hero’s armor doesn’t count as exclusive armor, since there is an EXTREMELY similar armor set for the reward track which you can just farm for.
-And they look like crap.
-Leaderboards don’t show anything except that you play this game 10x longer than anyone else.
-Most games you can’t reach top PvP rank for a number of years (even playing religiously).
-And PvP rank is an “optional grind” since it doesn’t give you an advantage in the game just something to show off your progress/dedication.

The change basically catered to casual players, a good compromise would have been to include reward tracks, buff the rank points per win (like they did), and keep rank points the same. Possibly adding better rewards the higher you rank (for rank up chests). This would make it so that you are getting progression short term from reward tracks and long term from your rank.

Lite
The Prestige [pTg]
Twitch.tv/Lite_lite

(edited by Mighty Assasin.3816)

in PvP

JTGuevara.9018

Of course ANET needed to change it. Their precious few tournament teams didn’t have anyone to queue with for practice. No one was joining team queues because they were tired of getting rekt by the top teams. So, in anets infinite wisdom,,,lets combine the queues so the top .005% of the pvp population that is good enuff for tournaments can get some practice. **** the general population, they wanna be E-sports sooo bad, they are just going to cater to the few.

If the top teams don’t have anyone to play with, THAT’S THEIR PROBLEM. Let them play each other.

in PvP

kdaddy.5431

The patch was for the gw2 community as a whole, they wanted pvp to feel less disconnected with the rest of the game. They did this by adding the reward system, lowering the rank requirements, adding ways to level up in pvp, and also with the wardrobe. This gave a lot of meaning to players, since pvp progression didn’t halt their pve/wvw progression and vice versa.

If you want to sit here and complain about something that happened almost a year ago, be my guest. However, it’s not going to change anything, nor will it turn back time and revert the changes.

As i will continue to argue my point i will point out that everything you said was for the pve side of players. The PvP communtiy does feel like its getting jipped when it comes to everything. Pve better rewards, more money, no unique skins for the elite players.

Once again your point was it brought the community together yet if you read many of the pvp topics, its split between the 2 still. This class is op(pve warrior) old PvP players saying no its not, get better. Turrets are op(pve warrior) PvP players saying learn your role and quit trying to solo it.

They did successfully bring more people into pvp and in my opinion better games in ranked/unranked. They also did this at the expense of the serious pvp players. Once again they didnt need to change the levels. Im sorry people thought 150k glory was alot for a level but guess what people did it to get to the next tier of 250k. You and other people are spitting on the people who put the time in. They made it more accessible to the casual player which is making for uneven pvp games which another topic.

in PvP

Posted by: Quadox.7834

Quadox.7834

I actually didn’t like the rank change, but some people probably did. I feel like in a game with such a long lifespan, it should be HARD to get to pvp max rank and be a dragon or a phoenix- a couple of years maybe. But then again, rank farming kind of ruined this vision a long time ago. In my opinion the old “slow” system combined with limiting hotjoin farming (perhaps max rank through hotjoins should be 30?) would be nice. Of course this isn’t going to happen, but its a fun prospect.

Yaniam [Mesmer]

^ Usually only characer that i play on

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

As i will continue to argue my point…

You’re the only one so knock yourself out. Other than others who are disappointed in the fact that “it could have be handled differently”, in the end, it just doesn’t matter.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

kdaddy.5431

As i will continue to argue my point…

You’re the only one so knock yourself out. Other than others who are disappointed in the fact that “it could have be handled differently”, in the end, it just doesn’t matter.

I just want to make sure that that everyone knows that as a whole alot of pvp players didnt forget. Of course nothing can be done, of course complaining changes nothing but making sure everyone knows a few PvP peoples displeasure with it shouldnt change it. Its why i think the poster posted it but i could be wrong.

in PvP

Posted by: Israel.7056

Israel.7056

There’s no way to know how many people quit strictly because of that one change.

in PvP

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

Personally I find that them letting these “rank servers” exist where people don’t even PvP more strange, in other MMOs I’ve played, Rift for example they rolled back peoples accounts who did win trading to rank up fast.

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

Personally I find that them letting these “rank servers” exist where people don’t even PvP more strange, in other MMOs I’ve played, Rift for example they rolled back peoples accounts who did win trading to rank up fast.

In Rift for example, PvP ranks = PvP gear.
In Gw2, PvP ranks = PvP ranks which are completly meaningless.

in PvP

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

In Rift for example, PvP ranks = PvP gear.
In Gw2, PvP ranks = PvP ranks which are completly meaningless.

Well yes I agree it is more of an issue in games that have PvP gear attached, but I still think it is strange to let people basically use an exploit / essentially not PvP to earn PvP ranks & reward track rewards, and whilst I am not interested in rank or the reward track stuff, clearly some people are to say it is ‘completely meaningless’ is not true.

(edited by zinkz.7045)

in PvP

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

The reason they removed ranks as progression is because Skyhammer farming had gone of for ages and the rank system served no purpose and had no legitimacy. So they just removed it from the game – you can’t say Anet killed it for no reason it was destroyed for a very obvious reason (them letting Skyhammer farming exist for so long is another argument).

Note I’m not saying there shouldn’t have been something else put in its place but the old system was nonsense and needed removed.

(edited by Coulter.2315)

in PvP

Posted by: Amstel Steel.2058

Amstel Steel.2058

I disagree with this aswell, according to some of the top PvP players in eu. NA has far more people in pvp yet our teams are not as good. Helesth and Blu talked about the solo que mentality of alot players and how its ruined competitive play in na. Blu went on to say that The Abjured would struggle when they do these money tourneys in eu because there community is far more competitive even though its much smaller.

Anet had to offer a refund because it had no ladders for competitive play. This game doesn’t even have clearly listed advantages for its cancel mechanic which leaves whoever knows how to break the aftercasts becomes more competitive. Both the addition and removal of soloq did not have any effect on the competitive play in NA. A game with a skill gap way to large between beginner and advanced players along with no real form of progression or support is what ruined competitive play along with its competitive population in NA.

More on topic to the op, ranks being lowered was a good thing that was implemented horribly since there was no additional ranks introduced afterwards to achieve which meant no more progression in that form for those that wanted it. There were far fewer people that left the game from that change versus the vast amount of people that took the refund for this game not having ladders.

in PvP

Posted by: Thiefz.3695

Thiefz.3695

I disagree with the OP and several others about direction. I played since beta. I played PvE for a year and then did WvW and PvP. Unless you played PvP all the time, it was difficult to grasp the rewards vs PvE. It happened to me. WvW was easier to understand in terms of reward. So they change PvP reward to something that casual PvPers could understand. That’s not a bad thing. They put in eSports to provide a path for truly competitive gamers. That is also not a bad thing. The problem from this rant and from others is that the person in the middle, the person who is not going eSports and is more than casual has nothing for them. What you had was rank but then rank was farmed. Now you have leaderboards which is also farmed. Both have to do with how much you played.

I think that if the matches are bad due to MMR, or stale due to Conquest, or annoying due to mismatched teams vs solo then those people will complain about rewards. Simply put, if playing the game is not fun or the rewards for winning are not worthwhile then the game suffers for those players. People could be ok with one or the other being really great.

But at the end of the day, if you quit a game because your grind is not equal to another person’s grind, then you have an issue. My sense is that most people leave because they no longer find the PvP enjoyable. However if you say, “Well I like the PvP but I didn’t like the implemented change because it diminished the value of my accomplishments.” Then they hurt your pride and you need to get over yourself.

in PvP

GhOst.4019

I disagree with the OP and several others about direction. I played since beta. I played PvE for a year and then did WvW and PvP. Unless you played PvP all the time, it was difficult to grasp the rewards vs PvE. It happened to me. WvW was easier to understand in terms of reward. So they change PvP reward to something that casual PvPers could understand. That’s not a bad thing. They put in eSports to provide a path for truly competitive gamers. That is also not a bad thing. The problem from this rant and from others is that the person in the middle, the person who is not going eSports and is more than casual has nothing for them. What you had was rank but then rank was farmed. Now you have leaderboards which is also farmed. Both have to do with how much you played.

I think that if the matches are bad due to MMR, or stale due to Conquest, or annoying due to mismatched teams vs solo then those people will complain about rewards. Simply put, if playing the game is not fun or the rewards for winning are not worthwhile then the game suffers for those players. People could be ok with one or the other being really great.

But at the end of the day, if you quit a game because your grind is not equal to another person’s grind, then you have an issue. My sense is that most people leave because they no longer find the PvP enjoyable. However if you say, “Well I like the PvP but I didn’t like the implemented change because it diminished the value of my accomplishments.” Then they hurt your pride and you need to get over yourself.

Well said. The changes overall helped more then it hurt. People with pride issues left, but PvP gained more people. Win for Anet.

#1 Player Granada
#1 Player Comoros

in PvP

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

…if you quit a game because your grind is not equal to another person’s grind, then you have an issue. My sense is that most people leave because they no longer find the PvP enjoyable. However if you say, “Well I like the PvP but I didn’t like the implemented change because it diminished the value of my accomplishments.” Then they hurt your pride and you need to get over yourself.

I’m going to bookmark this.

in PvP

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

People quit cause others got to rank 80 quickly lol? I’m going to hazard a guess and say it was less than 10 people.

in PvP

kdaddy.5431

People quit cause others got to rank 80 quickly lol? I’m going to hazard a guess and say it was less than 10 people.

ummm no i lost 3 guild members, 5 friends and another 8 people who i casually knew and played with.

Its a giant kick in the face to spend 1,200 hrs in pvp and for them to change the ranking system for the casual player. If this was a way to get more people into pvp, all i have to say is when you lose elite players to mass amount of noob players you get a bunch of the new forum topics.

Nerf turret engies- nerf lb warrior- nerf shatter mesmer- nerf good team players- why is there so many bad players- what about them turret engies-

Im sorry, anyone who watch the tourney. Hero Battle Tactics ran 2 turret engies and they faced the abjured and there 2nd match was 500-0.

2 things happened here, they beat a couple of teams who were average players( pvp patch) thought it was good enough. Ran into a old pvp team, those players who put 1,000 hrs before the pvp patch. Im pretty sure NA pvp field would be alot better with teams from fort trinity and galaxy princessess didnt quit.

in PvP

kdaddy.5431

I am a huge salt lord about this topic.

PvP progression is stale if you don’t care about reward tracks since the rewards are meh. Would rather have an exclusive title/finisher/weapons/armor to work towards and be able to show off rather than some dungeon armor/weapons or more worthless ascended mats.

-Glorious hero’s armor doesn’t count as exclusive armor, since there is an EXTREMELY similar armor set for the reward track which you can just farm for.
-And they look like crap.
-Leaderboards don’t show anything except that you play this game 10x longer than anyone else.
-Most games you can’t reach top PvP rank for a number of years (even playing religiously).
-And PvP rank is an “optional grind” since it doesn’t give you an advantage in the game just something to show off your progress/dedication.

The change basically catered to casual players, a good compromise would have been to include reward tracks, buff the rank points per win (like they did), and keep rank points the same. Possibly adding better rewards the higher you rank (for rank up chests). This would make it so that you are getting progression short term from reward tracks and long term from your rank.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

why is it when people go sky hammer farming ruined ranking, ummm im sorry it was 400k to level. 400k!!!!!!!!!!!! how many games of skyhammer is that please do the math since you guys were talking about that