How's pvp right now?

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: Rogue.2768

Rogue.2768

hello! Right now I’m trying to decide which mmo I should pick up and play, but I wish to focus on pvp. I would be really grateful if you were to please explain how the pvp is right now? Are there a lot of people that do it?

I played wow for quite some years. Are there any similarities with it? For example battlegrounds, 2v2 ect. arenas? Do you earn any kind of rewards from pvp? Is it balanced?

Thanks for your input!

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: OlrunTheBlade.1486

OlrunTheBlade.1486

The PvP scene isn’t all that large. The combat is much more immersive and streamlined than WoW, which I find more enjoyable. With that said, it only has one supported game mode of 5v5 Conquest. All balance is centered around that. For the most part, it’s balanced pretty well, but there are a few gimmicky mechanics. The rewards from PvP are less than that of PvE, but greater than WvW. It is receiving a lot of love from ArenaNet right now, though, so it’s only improving.

Captain of Never Lucky [NL]
Competitive Warrior, Ele, Mesmer, Ranger, Engineer, Thief

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

Not good due to the fact that Anet can’t implement the 1 class per team in ranked play. I feel if they could do that then it would be much better.

OR

They could actually balance the game better, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon going off their track record.

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Don’t play PvP. It’s not the worst of any MMO I’ve played, but it is getting to that point.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

Right now, WoW PvP is better. GW2 has a much better combat system and used to be better than WoW by a lot, but the Devs let power creep get out of control.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

Right now? No. It’s in a really bad shape and people are giving up on it. In general the MMO genre isn’t doing all that well when it comes to PvP nowadays, but GW2’s falling from grace like mad in this area more than any other title imo.

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: Tomiyou.3790

Tomiyou.3790

People are so cynical. If I had to give you an advice is to play it. First and foremost play the game for free and test the whole feel of the engine. IMO the whole gameplay is amazing, probably the best out of all MMOs out there due to the very good mix of tab-targeting and action combat system. It feels natural.
As for the balance, it keeps getting better. Maybe if it doesn’t suit you now, come back in 4 months and there should be a big improvement.

The amount of people playing will probably also rise since Anet promised big changes and people always come back and check it out when someone mentions “big changes”.

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Galtrix.7369

People are so cynical. If I had to give you an advice is to play it. First and foremost play the game for free and test the whole feel of the engine. IMO the whole gameplay is amazing, probably the best out of all MMOs out there due to the very good mix of tab-targeting and action combat system. It feels natural.
As for the balance, it keeps getting better. Maybe if it doesn’t suit you now, come back in 4 months and there should be a big improvement.

The amount of people playing will probably also rise since Anet promised big changes and people always come back and check it out when someone mentions “big changes”.

It will rise. And then it will fall again once they realize that the “big changes” weren’t great. It happens time and time again.

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: Trigr.6481

Trigr.6481

The PvP scene isn’t all that large. The combat is much more immersive and streamlined than WoW, which I find more enjoyable. With that said, it only has one supported game mode of 5v5 Conquest. All balance is centered around that. For the most part, it’s balanced pretty well, but there are a few gimmicky mechanics. The rewards from PvP are less than that of PvE, but greater than WvW. It is receiving a lot of love from ArenaNet right now, though, so it’s only improving.

Take the statement of whoever he is with a huge grain of salt, gw2 has a reputation of bumping one class out and another one in “sometimes multiple” every balance patch that takes quite a long time, don’t hold your breath. In terms of balance they balance it around conquest which is a 5v5 only game mode. However with a small Spvp playerbase that gw2 has you’ll often be finding yourself stuck in ques for long amounts of time. In terms of rewards they are negligent compared to pve. The community has begged gw2 to make a smaller gametype, but said requests have fallen on deaf ears.

Also on terms of balance they balance the entire game as a whole, only recrently starting to balance out skills specifically for SPvP, which will take a considerable amount of time to get it right considering gw2’s slow balance turn around time. I’ve played both games extensively, and the only thing gw2 has over wow that could be argued as better is the weapon swapping combat mechanic and slightly improved graphics. Overall wow has better build diversity, more players, more game modes, better balance, and a overall better scene. So just be weary and try out the free trial and get a feel for it, before actually thinking about spending your money.

Countless

(edited by Trigr.6481)

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: Alex Shatter.7956

Alex Shatter.7956

Bad. Elite Specs and their refusal to do a complete PvE/PvP balance split has done irreparable damage to the game mode. What’s left of the dwindling population are achievement hunters and nasty, salty mean people

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

If you like WoW’s large choices of BG’s/arena’s (2v2, 3v3, 10v10, 15v15, 40v40), along with separation of casual, rated, and premades, etc.. you won’t like what you see here. Here all we have is 5v5 conquest, where pre-mades and casuals/soloers are mashed together randomly.

In terms of PvP system, ladder, progression, rewards, and gameplay variety, WoW is eons ahead of GW2. However, GW2 has 1 thing going for it, that’s action combat. Imagine the fluid combat, smooth animation, and controls that WoW is famous for, GW2 has all that along with action combat. This one thing has kept GW2 interesting for many in all game modes.

Game’s f2p so you might as well give it a try. Mechanically WoW’s PvP is superior in that cc’s have diminishing returns, you can’t be chain cc’ed as you eventually become immune. All classes have access to trinket & such to get out of a hard lock. Things make a bit more sense there, you just have to watch your cooldowns. You get sheeped in WoW, you get out of it when you are hit, or you can trinket to get out.

Here you get moa’ed, nothing gets you out of moa, no trinket or counters, you’re a sitting duck. You can be damaged/burst on and you stay in moa for the duration. Also no diminishing returns so you could get moa’ed the second time right after for the full duration. Moa is just an example but replace it with any cc, such as immob/stun, you can be chain immob’ed & stunned. These are just some examples that may frustrate someone coming from WoW.

I play both games and find them fun in their own ways. I love the action combat in GW2, it has me spoiled. But I really do wish it improves on the mechanics aspect and cut out the cheese so to speak.

(edited by gavyne.6847)

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Here all we have is 5v5 conquest, where pre-mades and casuals/soloers are mashed together randomly.

That’s supposedly changing in Season 5.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

PvP in GW2 sucks right now with trash matchmaking and zero competition and your time is better spent watching paint dry than to play this.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: Ubik.8315

Ubik.8315

It’s basically filled with people playing DH, but who don’t realise that no matter how low a skill floor the class has, you still need to actually rotate. (gotta love 4 DH all standing on mid while the points tick away on the others).

Either way, it’s basically all DH, druid and revs.

(edited by Ubik.8315)

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: Father Busho.2796

Father Busho.2796

You should try it yourself but at the moment it sucks really badly..
Alsp do consider Olrun’s advice with a grain of salt as someone already stated, he is a pro PvPer that is getting paid for GW2 tourneys and has a pre-made team to play with so he/she abuses or simply cannot see or all the garbage that is currently in game..

Band Of Royal Daggers [BORD]
Aurora Glade
ALL IS VAIN :(

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

OlrunTheBlade.1486

On the release of HoT, I’d agree with a lot of what people are saying. The Elite Specializations seemed like they were released with only PvE in mind, giving a lot of abilities way too many mechanics just to be fun to play in PvE. Balance was broken (Bunker Chrono), and ArenaNet was unwilling to make balance changes mid Pro League season. However, a lot of that has been improved since then, balance especially so. In the world championships, every class was represented except for Warrior, and I doubt anyone who queues would say Warrior is weak. The ingame Leagues have been pretty silly, but the fact that they were implemented and are being worked on is more than PvP has had in the past. Take what I say with a grain of salt, of course, but the same grain of salt as everyone else posting here. I see a few players who I know don’t even play the game anymore posting here…

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: Trigr.6481

Trigr.6481

The ingame Leagues have been pretty silly,

The fact that they’ve been swapping matchmaking algorithms every season is a clear indication that that are lost at sea, not to mention a clear indication that there’s no solution coming anytime soon.

but the fact that they were implemented and are being worked on is more than PvP has had in the past.

Yeah, clearly pushing something out before it’s ready is going to do great. I mean they’ve had like what 4 seasons now, and it’s still in dire shape. That should tell you something. But don’t worry, they’re “working on it”, so everything is going to be ok.

I see a few players who I know don’t even play the game anymore posting here…

For good reason, people don’t like being led on by false promises.

Countless

(edited by Trigr.6481)

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: tico.9814

tico.9814

If you want good pvp that is very like wow arenas 2v2 and 3v3 then I highly recommend battlerite best wow like experience pvp I’ve ever had since wotlk. BR is a pure arena brawler pvp game no mmo or pve junk just straight deathmatch at it’s purest form. Let’s be honest the mmo genre is dead when it comes to pvp I lost faith in this genre. GW2 pve is fine but the pvp sucks.

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

hello! Right now I’m trying to decide which mmo I should pick up and play, but I wish to focus on pvp. I would be really grateful if you were to please explain how the pvp is right now? Are there a lot of people that do it?

I played wow for quite some years. Are there any similarities with it? For example battlegrounds, 2v2 ect. arenas? Do you earn any kind of rewards from pvp? Is it balanced?

Thanks for your input!

Pvp in GW2 was much, much better when it first launched and for some time after that.

It is still the best mmo for small scale pvp (much better than WoW, Rift, etc), but many people here have played it for a long time so when you ask “How is pvp right now?” The answer from almost any vet will be something like “It is bad right now” or “The worst it has ever been”. But they are comparing it to its glory days not to other mmos.

Compared to pvp in other mmos it is the most sublime, skill based game on the market. There are several maps where you go 5v5 against another team, there is no gear- or level-based advantages, and you can play any class and gear them out as you please with any ability available to the class.

The pvp games pop constantly 24/7 with little wait (unless you are playing during the competitive league season, when the queues can take longer to pop), and you get pretty good rewards for playing that you can use in pve or for crafting.

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: Marxx.5021

Marxx.5021

Combat system is great. There is no gear advantage which is good. Class balance could be better like in any other game I guess. The real problem I see is that match making is not good. For me a good match making system creates matchups of equal skilled players. In that GW2 simply fails.

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

OlrunTheBlade.1486

Honestly, a lot of it is that most matches are closer than they look. Most people don’t realize that a couple things going the other way could have completely turned a game around. Too many people give up or start playing dumb, and it snowballs out of control.

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

Artificially close matches by putting bads with the not as bads isn’t really fun though. Sure the score might be close but when you’re killing people 1v2 and your team wipes 4v2 it doesn’t make for a fun game.

I’ve also seen so many games in unranked where one team definitely has no chance of winning because they get like 2 totally new players on their team and the other side doesn’t have any new players.

I guess a 350-500 (non legacy) match could’ve been turned around but there’s just so many games where it is legit a waste of everybody’s time.

I added a screenshot of my last 8 unranked games as a solo q player. Only 2 out of 8 were what you could say “close” (> 300 points), the rest were pretty lopsided (even the 200ish points ones) and there are even 2 games where we have less than 50 points. With a proper matchmaking system this really wouldn’t happen.

Attachments:

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Overall a somewhat good game

Balance: Every class can be used at a competetive level when it pertains to ranked seasons. When it comes to pro league elementalists can also be used provided the right comp. DH can also be used but has a few issues bieng used in proffesiona play Same for warrior. Still not impossible to pull of(Carrion Hybrid by Drazeh) but yeah Meh. Not bad overall. U will generally ask yourself why developers nerfed or buffed this trait or skill in the first place.

Build Diversity: That is something which is kinda there. But at the same time it’s not. Metabattle. com list the top rated conquest builds which are called meta level builds. These builds are hands down the best builds in thier roles. However at the same time yes u have the other options listed as great and good. U can argue that the builds that considered great can atleast compete with meta builds if u are somewhat better then your opponents in terms of overall skill level. However I’d argue that between the meta and good builds. there is clear gap in effectiveness. To the point that if u fought your friend with equal skill level on meta builds and had each a 50 percent chance to win. U’d actually get yourself stomped if he used a meta build and u a good tier buid provided u are generally of the same skill level. In this thier u will see more core builds.

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Conquest

Matchmaking: Honestly from my personal experience. it feel very random. While the last 2 seasons weren’t that hard for me. I found myself getting matched up at people either way above my skill level or way below. this seemed to even out towards the end of season 3 and was kinda okayish in seasons 4. But yeah to me I really don’t really know wheter to call it crap or whatever. What I do know is that unranked matchmaking is something u shouldn’t take seriously. And it’s prolly not something the matchmaking can save in unranked. Unranked u encounter newer players, trolls, vets who are testing new builds, People playing for dailies, Vets not giving it thier all.

The Phrase ‘’Who cares, It’s just unranked’’ is in my opinon a nice way to describe the game mode. to me the atmosphere is a lot less serious. regardless of skill level. I’d say use Unranked as practice for the very bare basics. but the moment u get the hang of it. Get your kitten to ranked. Because in ranked is where u will actually get a solid learning curve.

Community: Meh. I find the pvp forums generally very divided when it comes to class balance. Nerf class XYZ and rant threads are not uncommon. It’s my opnion that at the forums atleast a community feeling is not something u will find. Small groups is better description. Also lynch mobs against a class is also something u will see often. The flavour of the month this time was dragon hunters, Before it was warriors/tempests, then Mesmers, necro’s. Each class gets their turn. Ofcourse there is a class people will kitten about the whole year long and that is thief.

In game. I’d argue that most players know how to behave. However do keep in mind that sometimes u will get quite a bit of toxicity if u play a build or class that is percieved Overpowered. Or if u don’t play ‘’good enough’’ I’d say the community within the game is like any other mmo game. we all have our trolls here and there. PvP teams recruit fromt time to time. lively map chat.

Overall U should play the pvp is u like to play a fluid action packed mmorpg. I never expected an mmo rpg game to have such an action packed combat system. it really throws u of guard. It’s like a 3d figthing game and mmo rpg mixed together.

It’s not perfect but atleast good enough to give it a try.

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Few points, coming from someone that pvp’d mainly in few games including WoW:

The positive sides of GW2:
- amazing fluid action combat, not as cluttered with particle effects like asian games
- no gear/level requirement – make lv 1 , go pvp right away <<<HUGE plus
- separate pvp/pve build
- strategical pvp (5v5, conquest) instead of just death mode – this one in particular is great (despite everything posters above say) is because it allows even underdogs do ok in pvp thanks to strategical play and not being forced to play FOTM and rely on one shots (sup warriors in Cata)
- yes game got powercreeped as hell, yes classes are imbalanced like in every MMORPG but the game still has way better balance than in every single MMORPG i played so far
- rewards are actually decent, they are not as great/easy as from pve but if you pvp mainly you won’t really need gold as much – only time you would need lot of gold is for skins (fluff), legendaries(fluff), wvw and raiding really <<<neither of those is relevant to enjoy pvp
- yes, most maps have same mode but they all have bit different layout and special mechanics (compare to LoL or WoW with same map for 182082103812038 years)
- pvp system – you can queue alone or queue with friends, there is also league system, ranked, unranked, HJs – yes, they are not perfect but some games either have no queue system at all or just 1v1
- short matches – usually between 10 and 15 min. It is not LoL where you have to be glued to the screen for 1 hour basically.
- GW2 community = fluffy lovely rabbits compared to toxic crap you see in LoL. We have our share of trolls, afkers etc. but i think due to GW2 population being mainly on older side (25+ years old) you won’t see here as many raging griefers.

Negatives:
- abysmally bad matchmaking, regardless what system they picked for the season it was always bound to forced 50% win rate (Overwatch suffers from same issue); if you are lucky you might get decent matches, especially when your MMR is not settled yet; if you have high MMR however and play alone – enjoy having loss, win, loss, win, loss, win experience with total blow outs. 1 person simply can’t carry really bad teams that get literary spawn camped. Spawn camping enemy team is also hardly fun. Devs consistently deny that forced 50% exists but vets have those observations with thousands of games. Good news: league system next season is changing a lot supposedly.
- due to a lot of mechanics and being action based, not to mention it is all about strategy, getting into pvp in this game can be very hard and requires a lot of time and practice, if you want to get to higher tiers that is.
- the community is relative small (can’t compare to LoL for sure). Queue times are fine in lower tiers, in higher tiers (sup legend/diamond) you can sit for 1 hour in queue at begin of the season (too few of us there xD, my record is 1:28 hour), not so bad later when season progresses.
– Expansion (HoT – costs money, core game doesn’t) is must have if you want to compete in higher tiers. HoT powecreeped all classes so badly and made them so braindead compared to core game that no matter how good you are (and we are talking about really really good) you just handicap yourself too much with core build and half-decent enemies with HoT wipe the floor with you. I personally played core spec on worst class in s1&2 (it is better now) and i just had to give up in diamond in s2 and roll with HoT – the HoT mechanics are too punishing on core. You should have checked this game before expansion – it was way more skillbased (resource, CD management, timing, positing etc.) than it is now.
- forums are extremely restrictive: we can’t post screenshots from matches because they contain match ups, we can’t report pvp related bugs here because it is considered exploiting etc. Can’t post videos or recruitment – all get thrown in dead part of forums.
- pvp/wvw/pve skills are not separated – GW suffers from same issue that made me quit WoW – pvp is balanced around raids. Is change needed for pvp but would hurt raid? Not going to implement it. Someone complains about cheesy crap in wvw? Nerf it regardless how it actually hurts pvp. Frankly, all HoT specs were overtuned to increase sales and now they can’t nerf them because of raids. GG.
- class stacking in matches is possible which leads to huge disadvantage for teams vs other because game is actually balanced around no stacking in essence
- jojo class balancing and very very obvious class favortism
- no dueling system besides custom arenas and guild halls
- very bad tutorials (partly due to lack of bot games)

As others said, try the core game – it is great, costs nothing. Despite me being salty vet GW2 is still my main game and made me never want to go back to WoW – GW2 is definitely worth trying out. Note: don’t get discouraged too fast if you try pvp and get killed a lot – those players were in your situation not so long ago.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: xeonage.1253

xeonage.1253

Don’t play PVP.
PvP is very suck now. GW2 have good combat system and class balance but HoT power creep break them.

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: Mushin.3928

Mushin.3928

I think sPvP is actually reasonably fun right now and the classes are as balanced as they have been since HoT launched – although it took almost one year to get there, and there are still some screwed up classes. There are a few problems with it otherwise:
1) The in-game community can be annoying. I solve this by playing offline (so that I can’t get whispers) and disabling all chat. I’m at a strategic disadvantage at times, but for me, its worth it.
2) Conquest, the main mode, is a bit dull for me. I like fighting, but I don’t like the point rotation and the secondary gimmicks that are present on most maps. To be a good player, you have to be good at these things. I wish there was a simpler, classic game mode like CTF.
3) The matchmaking is deficient. They are working on this, but its probably a hard problem to get balanced matches if the player base is small.

By the way, you can play PvP on a free account but don’t expect to win much. Last I checked, it doesn’t give you access to the elite specs from the HoT expansion. Without those, you’ll get knocked around and roflstomped unless you are some kind of PvP god.

As for rewards, for me they are kinda meh. But I’m an average player (literally; my winrate last season was close to 50%), and better players probably get better rewards through faster reward track progress. I earn gold through PvE mostly.

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: Toll Booth Willie.6723

Toll Booth Willie.6723

To quote Atmosphere, “Trying to find a balance.”

*desalination process applied.

Sick Leg – Asura Necro
“The state charges a dollar-twenty five pop.”

(edited by Toll Booth Willie.6723)

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

No sorry don’t try to sucker him into something he’s not going to like with false information.

Here’s the state of GW2 sPvP.

Barely if anybody competitive bothers to play this game’s sPvP. It’s not fun. It’s not competitive at all. The match maker stacks matches highly into one team’s favor 9 out of 10 matches. So you either win 500 to 50 or you lose 50 to 500. This is because the match making system is trying to do too much at the same time. So instead of giving fun and competitive matches it does the compete opposite.

It’s the only mainstream MMO with a Ranked sPvP mode that allow class stacking in matches. This tends to make balanced classes appear to be game brokenly over-powered. This also leads to highly not fun or competitive matches.

On top of it all. You have the non competitive so called leet sPvPers who couldn’t make there fame in competitive sPvP games. So they come here to GW2 lobbying to kept the game anti competitive. So they can continue to get their effortless wins as pre made teams against random PUG teams.

However if you are more so into PvE with a slice of WvW and sPvP in one package. GW2 is current 2nd to none in this area atm. GW2’s story and PvE content is amazing when not in a group of player who don’t know their left hand from their right hand.

WvW has it’s problems atm. More so with the play style ANet has been pushing. Full on PPT and PvD(Player versus Door/Structure) all the way in WvW right now. There was a time where the WvW community praised players and guilds abilities to fight. That time is long gone. Now the community praises players and guilds who can manipulate the player counting system, and stack their servers beyond full. And Players who can run away from every fight to avoid PPK, while back capturing and PvDing the whole matches. Players in WvW will only fight for the most part if their blob is just so superior in flatout numbers that there is little to no chance of losing said fights.

In conclusion if you are looking at GW2 just for sPvP, then honestly don’t even bother. Atm it’s sPvP game mode is not only the biggest joke in mainstream gaming. It’s also the most non competitive of the bunch as well. Player skill means nothing because of too many balancing issues with the match maker and the way ANet currently handles sPvP in GW2. Go save yourself the headache and heartache surely to follow, from trying to play GW2 seriously just for it’s sPvP, and go play a MOBA (Smite is my current favorite, tho Paragon looking to have some potential if they finish that MOBA). GW2 is such a amazing game however it’s sPvP is currently lacking by huge amounts, it’s pretty much cringe worthy. Only the non competitive sPvP players who can’t play a real competitive sPvP game will tell you otherwise.

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Rogue.2768

Wow! Thanks for all the input! Was wondering how Guardiands(or Dragon Hunters) faire in pvp? Are they alright? I’ve got a guardian I’d like to continue playing, but I’d be willing to switch over if I’ll have a bad experience due to bad balance.

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: Rolisteel.1375

Rolisteel.1375

Guardian is one of the most overtuned and hated easy to play classes that a lot of players play and stacking guardians are very frequent in pvp. Its a very good class for beginners or peoples that like to get rewarded for doing like nothing and still win. just run around without thinking a lot, just take the beating, survive everything like a boss while having good damage and you will kill someone in the end.

(edited by Rolisteel.1375)

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Wow! Thanks for all the input! Was wondering how Guardiands(or Dragon Hunters) faire in pvp? Are they alright? I’ve got a guardian I’d like to continue playing, but I’d be willing to switch over if I’ll have a bad experience due to bad balance.

DHs (not guards) are FOTM atm. Easiest class to jump into pvp with probably and most overtuned atm – so yes, they are more than fine.

If you don’t have HoT, you might consider engis (but they are relative hard to learn for new player), warriors (relative easy to learn and give plenty of room for errors).

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

As a game mode it’s really suffering. Major balance issues are kind of driving people away so the scene appears to have shrunk. You can still have some fun here and there, but literally everyone is running a build straight off metabattle now, even in the lowest divisions which is so dull. I would recommend taking a look at WvW too if you’re interested in coming up against more variety and having some more wiggle room for your own build needs. But I must warn you that WvW has some even bigger balance issues, so it can get rather frustrating.

Gandara

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

WvW variety has sunk about as low as sPvP. The powercreep from HoT is so massive the core and more diverse builds that may have been slightly less effective before are just pitifully bad now.

The state of profession and gear design in the game is probably one of the worst I’ve ever seen. There are Asian imports whose developers don’t even speak English that do a better job at figuring out how to balance the game in more timely ways than ANet.

If you’re looking to PvP – don’t even bother. Talking about the game on the forums because it was once so good is more fun than actually playing it in its current state, to be honest.

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: duster.7013

duster.7013

Don’t play PvP. It’s not the worst of any MMO I’ve played, but it is getting to that point.

You must not get around. I can name ten with worse pvp. Gw2 is up there. Even games whos pvp I enjoyed more (rift) are objectively less balanced.

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Galtrix.7369

You must not get around. I can name ten with worse pvp. Gw2 is up there. Even games whos pvp I enjoyed more (rift) are objectively less balanced.

I’ve played more MMOs than most people I know of. I’d give you a list of mmos I’ve played, but it’s not worth the time it’d take.

And I didn’t say that GW2’s PvP was the worst. I said it’s getting there. As of now, I’d put it at a little less than the halfway mark of the best to worst mmo pvp. If the trend of imbalance and boringness continues, it will soon be one of the worst.

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: ThatNAESLGuard.6238

ThatNAESLGuard.6238

DHs (not guards) are FOTM atm. Easiest class to jump into pvp with probably and most overtuned atm – so yes, they are more than fine.

wrong

Darek.1836

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: Rickster.8752

Rickster.8752

It sucks, dont get it. Power creeped to death.

You should listen to me as i had the highest mmr in the game as a solo player, so i was factually the best solo player. And even i grew to hate the game.

Official winner of solo queue MMR leaderboards – EU

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: duster.7013

duster.7013

I’ve played more MMOs than most people I know of. I’d give you a list of mmos I’ve played, but it’s not worth the time it’d take.

And I didn’t say that GW2’s PvP was the worst. I said it’s getting there. As of now, I’d put it at a little less than the halfway mark of the best to worst mmo pvp. If the trend of imbalance and boringness continues, it will soon be one of the worst.

I’m sorry but you’re off by miles. It’s better than stuff like tera, dragons crown, wow, swtor, lineage 2. Those games don’t even show up. Gw2 is at least a piece of poop, those games can’t afford that much.

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Rogue.2768

Hello, guys! I tried WvW. The gameplay is interesting, however the need to run to the front lines for 5 minutes is really off putting. Maybe I’m not doing something right, are there any kinds of teleporters other than the waypoints on the map?

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

Despite the ccmplaints, there currently is no class that is considered so weak that it will lose you the game in soloq. The two classed that could be argued to be lowest on the totem pole (ele and necro) are used in tournaments while all the other classes are perfectly good to bring to solo q.

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Azukas.1426

Despite the ccmplaints, there currently is no class that is considered so weak that it will lose you the game in soloq. The two classed that could be argued to be lowest on the totem pole (ele and necro) are used in tournaments while all the other classes are perfectly good to bring to solo q.

Currently thief is the worst class in the game.

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

Even thf is still useful in solo q. It’s just the only class i never want to see stacked though since it actually requires the thf to know how to rotate. Unless he runs condi evade spam thf.

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Azukas.1426

Even thf is still useful in solo q. It’s just the only class i never want to see stacked though since it actually requires the thf to know how to rotate. Unless he runs condi evade spam thf.

Problem with thief solo q is they have to top 5% in terms of player skill and be facing significantly lower skilled opponents.

In today’s game it’s very likely to see 2-3 DHS with druids/scrappers opposite of the thief. In those situations a thief is a detriment to your team.

How's pvp right now?

in PvP

Posted by: Paprikaspice.8462

Paprikaspice.8462

Its pretty good; better than WoW when I played years ago. New and interesting maps are FINALLY being introduced, after years of either nothing new or fairly lazy additions. The que and matchmaking are really good, usually no more than a 5 min wait.

The general combat has become very monotonous though. Class balance is not bad in the sense that all classes have at least one very good build but very few classes have more than one decent build, though you can make multiple minor adjustments to the same basic build. Worse than that is that all meta builds are basically the same. They all have excellent sustain, at least one great burst combo, lots of cc access and some cc immunity. Theres no benefit to more specialized builds, leading to games that just play out in the same ways over and over.