How to Implement Dueling in GW2

in PvP

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

Just a thought, I’m trying to appease ANet and Duelers with this idea, but the idea at a high level is a simple concept.

Simply allow 2 players to request a duel with each other, take the players to a duel instance, and when the duel starts leave behind in the map they were in some kind of interactable object for interested parties to spectate on the duel (information indicating who is dueling and the professions they are, or other useful information). After the duel is over provide some kind clear indicator for the winner/loser such as the victor coming back alive and the loser coming back in the down state.

I think this would get around objections ANet has about implementing dueling, assuming the objections are along the lines of the things that I think they are.

I think this would also be enough to satisfy the player base that is clammoring for dueling.

Discuss.

*Added
It would also be REALLY COOL if ANet could make the Arena an instance of the area the duel request happens in. Some kind of personal story like instance with a fair radius size.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

(edited by Shockwave.1230)

in PvP

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

I like this idea lot. I’m not even a big PvP fan but this is the kind of feature that should be in GW2.

I would only change one thing. Have dueling in specific areas of these maps. Maybe arenas like we have in the Queens Gauntlet. I could just see the Centaurs “Death Pit”, The Charr’s “Steel Cage”, The Sylvari’s Tangle Thorn Arena". These would be cool places to see and would give predefined locations for duels keeping the constant, “Hey wanna fight about it?” peeps from sending request everywhere.

Plus I love the spectator aspect of it all. Humm… maybe add a little wager system to each fight as well. Could be a Black Lion Bet NPC near by.

in PvP

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

How to implement dueling:
-designate an area of the game for Player vs. Player combat
-give players the option to create their own customized PvP instances
-mission complete

in PvP

Posted by: Syrpharon.7491

Syrpharon.7491

-mission complete

If only this was already possible… oh, wait…

in PvP

Posted by: Pibriamal.8719

Pibriamal.8719

-mission complete

Not the same. You can’t use your PvE/WvW gear. If I wanna test my WvW build with my buddy, I can’t. Going into SPvP isn’t the same. The numbers are different. I don’t get why people are against having dueling. Just make it so you can only duel people on your friend list.

I’m on TC; I don’t roleplay, but I don’t mind watching it. You ever see an RP duel? It’s really boring. If only they had a way to actually fight each other instead of doing the in game equivalent of LARPing.

in PvP

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

-mission complete

Not the same. You can’t use your PvE/WvW gear. If I wanna test my WvW build with my buddy, I can’t. Going into SPvP isn’t the same. The numbers are different. I don’t get why people are against having dueling. Just make it so you can only duel people on your friend list.

I’m on TC; I don’t roleplay, but I don’t mind watching it. You ever see an RP duel? It’s really boring. If only they had a way to actually fight each other instead of doing the in game equivalent of LARPing.

What you’re suggesting is open-world PvP, which is a dead horse that has been beaten to a bloody pulp, so don’t insult my intelligence with nonsense about wanting to test your build with your friend. Yes, the ‘numbers are lower in PvP, but the gear is balanced in the same manner so the outcome of your ’build testing’ will be fairly reliable.

As for the RPers need open-world PvP to spice up their “boring” playstyle, you said yourself that you’re not an RPer so you don’t have any business making assertions on their behalf. I also think that most of them would be offended at your degrading claims/opinion of their preferred style of play. Surely, when they can’t to truly fight things, they go out to an appropriate location and ‘hunt down the Champion Troll that wrecked their close-friend’s villa’.

In just this same manner, if you want to do battle against other players, you can venture off to one of the SEVERAL designated PvP areas and duke it out till the cow’s come home. Trying to put a silly new spin on a very old (and largely undesired) debate is insincere, and seems even more so when you drag a group of players into the mix to ‘support your cause’ who never asked for any such thing.

in PvP

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

just add mirror matchup dueling matchmaking queues

engis matched with engis, rangers with rangers, thieves with thieves

etcetcetc

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

in PvP

Posted by: Pibriamal.8719

Pibriamal.8719

-mission complete

What you’re suggesting is open-world PvP, which is a dead horse that has been beaten to a bloody pulp, so don’t insult my intelligence with nonsense about wanting to test your build with your friend. Yes, the ‘numbers are lower in PvP, but the gear is balanced in the same manner so the outcome of your ’build testing’ will be fairly reliable.

As for the RPers need open-world PvP to spice up their “boring” playstyle, you said yourself that you’re not an RPer so you don’t have any business making assertions on their behalf. I also think that most of them would be offended at your degrading claims/opinion of their preferred style of play. Surely, when they can’t to truly fight things, they go out to an appropriate location and ‘hunt down the Champion Troll that wrecked their close-friend’s villa’.

In just this same manner, if you want to do battle against other players, you can venture off to one of the SEVERAL designated PvP areas and duke it out till the cow’s come home. Trying to put a silly new spin on a very old (and largely undesired) debate is insincere, and seems even more so when you drag a group of players into the mix to ‘support your cause’ who never asked for any such thing.

Dueling =/= Open world PvP. Why are you so against it? Just don’t take part in it if you don’t want it. It should be an opt-in system that is limited to your friends. Nothing wrong with that.

in PvP

Posted by: Nabbo.2845

Nabbo.2845

-mission complete

Dueling =/= Open world PvP. Why are you so against it? Just don’t take part in it if you don’t want it. It should be an opt-in system that is limited to your friends. Nothing wrong with that.

Anything related to PvP outside of PvP disgusts tman, obviously, which is why he’s riding on the but-not-everyone-wants-it train. If it doesn’t affect you negatively and it can help other players yet, you’re still avidly against it, you’re just a little self-absorbed

lol @ “largely undesired”

in PvP

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

I’dd preffere the “normal duel” wherever you are, just like any other mmo out there…