How to balance(fix) the downed state

in PvP

Posted by: Bunzy.8674

Bunzy.8674

I think its pretty obvious that hardly anyone enjoys the current downed state mechanic in both spvp and wvw, however i have come up with a solution that should keep both sides happy.

Basically you keep your attacking ability (#1) and then you get your healing skill (#4) so basically you only get two abilities while you are in the downed state. This will stop all the stealth and constant interrupts that people find so annoying to deal with when trying to downed people, as we know these abilities just make what seems a simple task much more annoying then it should be.

This also keeps the people who say it provides a tactical advantage happy because you can still revive downed people if you are good enough. I think this will improve the game greatly and allow for more skilled players to shine and flourish amongst the gw2 community.

EDIT: I honestly don’t care if Anet remove it however the reason I suggested the above ideas, is because it was a compromise.

Bunzy – I’m a mother father gentleman
Maguuma
WvW Roaming Videos

(edited by Bunzy.8674)

in PvP

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Add a suicide button to that and sign me up.

in PvP

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

Guardians and Warriors have perhaps the most middle ground of any downed state. They can knock back and buy a few seconds.

Mesmers and Thieves are just super annoying. It cracks me up that even their downed state is stronger than other classes.

Elementalist and Ranger seem to have a pretty poor downed state.

I’d love to make all the downed states like Guardians.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

in PvP

Posted by: Rathy.3582

Rathy.3582

Solid idea biggest problem is the thief and mesmer one’s are so much better then everyone elses. Hope they remove it from PvP someday its a horrible mechanic its fun having someone ditching you with rocks while your trying to kill some other guy for 1k.

in PvP

Posted by: Eurosdown.6072

Eurosdown.6072

The mesmer’s downed abilities are no better at delaying a stomp than, say, a guardian against people that know what they are doing (read: anyone in tpvp). Most people by now have learned to target the real mesmer (the one with a big arrow above his head), so their 2 ability ends up buying no more than a couple of seconds, same as the guardian’s knockback.
Also, sometimes their teleport has a chance to fail utterly and teleports them 2 feet away when the terrain is uneven or if they are close to a wall/barrier, in which case they still get hit by the original stomp if one was being performed at the time of their teleport. OR if they happen to teleport in the direction of the person stomping them, they end up on the other side of the person but are still considered within the range of the stomp and the stomp once again hits them.
I won’t even go into bad teammates trying to heal the clone and not the real mesmer, but that’s really only a problem with people in pugs who don’t know what they are doing.
The thief’s downed state is better than even the mesmer’s in that they can interrupt two stomps (one with the teleport and one with stealth), but once again it’s fairly predictable.

I will say that the thief/guardian/mesmer downed states are better than other professions because their 2 abilities cancel the stomps of multiple opponents. Anyone else is kittened if more than one person tries to stomp them and nobody is there to back them up with cc.

Ranger and elementalist downed states need buffs, I think everyone can agree on that.

in PvP

Posted by: Shukran.4851

Shukran.4851

guardian down state is dumb as all others classes….. if you know that blind makes stuns ineffective …..
don’t thanks me for teaching you something about the game….and still players rage when someone says them “l2p”..

i would like to teach you also the correct timing to stomp someone..but i don’t want to make you feel newbies

(edited by Shukran.4851)

in PvP

Posted by: Selix.5670

Selix.5670

Ranger has one of the strongest down states >.>

Interrupt on 2, a second interrupt from a wolf howl, and a 3rd interrupt on a multitude of other pets. Granted you have to have both pets capable of being accessed, but its still great. If you are bleed spec then the 1 attack does great damage as well. It’s not a bad downed. Ele down tho…complete garbage.

in PvP

Bunzy.8674

Please stay on topic, this isn’t about who has the strongest or weakest. It’s about the whole downed state being a flawed mechanic, you can go on about correct timing to stomp someone and terrain issues but you are clearly missing the point.

Maguuma
WvW Roaming Videos

in PvP

Posted by: aleiro.8521

aleiro.8521

once you learn the classes downed state, it becomes easier and easier to kill them. They are still unbalanced but meh, who wastes time trying to stomp a mesmer, or thief these days…i just keep swinging and swinging and swinging while they wait for my stomp animation.

in PvP

Posted by: Eurosdown.6072

Eurosdown.6072

Please stay on topic, this isn’t about who has the strongest or weakest. It’s about the whole downed state being a flawed mechanic, you can go on about correct timing to stomp someone and terrain issues but you are clearly missing the point.

I don’t think the downed mechanic is flawed, abilities need to be balanced better and there needs to be a suicide button. Besides, giving all profs just their1 and 4 abilities will favor the profs that have a slowing effect on theirs like thieves and engineers, while everyone else can get stomped in a matter of seconds.

in PvP

Posted by: Hsulf.9370

Hsulf.9370

I feel every Monday morning there’s a new thread regarding downed states, but this is one of the more sensible suggestions. Just to state I am currently happy with the system, as I wrote in another of these threads this morning.

Although I would support an idea like this, we have to look at the devs perspective that they want to make gw2 an esport. With that in mind, anything that requires more skill, more skill or clutch making decisions will look better to the spectator.

With the above in mind, if and when downed states are balanced, which I don’t think they are too far from, the whole downed state system currently will look better to spectators than just 2 buttons i.e attack and heal.

Although your above idea is a good suggestion and would clear the balance issue, it’s the easy way out. And they’re too far into the mechanic to revert back to basics now.

Godmóde of Team Paradigm
(Necro, Ele, Thief, Guard)
http://www.twitch.tv/godmodegw2

in PvP

Posted by: Burrid.4739

Burrid.4739

All downstates are flawed, but elementalist’s is more flawed than others.

in PvP

Bunzy.8674

@eurosdown obviously if they implemented this they could balance all the auto attacks easy enough. So you wouldn’t need to worry about some people having things that you don’t.

Maguuma
WvW Roaming Videos

in PvP

Posted by: Blazer Hellsing.9184

Blazer Hellsing.9184

Very bad suggestions, the Downed state is fine.

Main: Thief
Alts: Warrior, Necromancer, Mesmer, Elementalist (bunker)

in PvP

Bunzy.8674

@blazer as soon as I read that I thought this guy must be a thief or a mesmer, then I read your sig.

Maguuma
WvW Roaming Videos

in PvP

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

You people are just plain silly. Downstate is fine. It’s working exactly as intended, and well. If you can’t deal with it, this isn’t the game for you.

Why is it people only think of themselves in a team based game? How can a downed thief or mes stop a downed teammate from getting stomped? Oh, they cant; unlike warrior, engi, necro (I believe, I dont know the range of their fear), and if in range, guardian and ranger. Someone mentioned blind – unless the blind if being applied passively (such as by Black powder), or by a second player, you hit 1 ability to consume the blind, then use your stomp prevention (i’ve seen non kitten warriors,guardians and rangers do it all the time, sometimes even IN a black powder in the case of guardians and rangers thanks to careful timing). If a second player is blinding you to ensure the down, too kittening bad, its a 2 on 1 against a downed player, they’re supposed to win.

The only class that (probably) has a right to kitten about downstate is Ele. This is an assumption, since I don’t have a ton of experience with them, but not having a stomp-prevention ability immediately available upon down seems, from the outside, a glaring weakness (since every other class gets one).

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

in PvP

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

How about just disabling downed state in PvP zones?

Least then they could focus on fixing the game instead of wasting any more time on balancing something that most pvpers hate anyway?

downed state is bad for PVP

(edited by scerevisiae.1972)

in PvP

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

The downed state isnt that bad in mechanic, it serves a very particular role in this game. Even in PvP.

The one major flaw with it is the simple matter its unbalanced. Very, very unbalanced. 2 professions are to far to the high-end spectrum and 2 are to far to the low end. The high-end blows everyone else out the water, and the low end are about as threatening as a newborn kitten (i actually typed kitten here). While the middleground seems fairly balanced.

Another thing i wonder about is how stats influence downed state. Toughness and Vitality dont mean jack if you are downed, or condition damage if you dont apply any conditions. But power/prec/critdmg would greatly improve your damage and are stats that do mean something.

in PvP

Posted by: shaolin.9716

shaolin.9716

Downed state revival is about as overpowered as healers in other games. As a dps profession you depend on your CC to dump your burst then you have nothing left to interrupt someone reviving the target you put down and you can’t finish them faster than they are being revived. Reviving unfinished players should only happen when the main fight is over. Otherwise everyone should be given a baseline ability made specifically to interrupt someone reviving another player.

in PvP

Posted by: MistyMountains.3751

MistyMountains.3751

Remove it i spvp…fixed

in PvP

Posted by: Amityel.5324

Amityel.5324

all classes should have same downed mode or what would be better delete it completly

in PvP

Posted by: TheRamosOnline.2670

TheRamosOnline.2670

All I want to see changed is ressing “Finished” players. And be more fair with Rally.
If I attack a random guy and then 5 minutes later he falls to his death on the other side of the WvW map, it counts as my rally.
It shouldn’t.

And finally downing a guardian only for him to randomly rally because someone fell off a cliff or something is VERY annoying.

Swap Elementalists 2 and 3 abilities.
Give Engineers a reason to want to pull targets toward them (2 and 3 are meant to work together, but 3’s damage is very low and 9/10 times the enemy ends up closer than they were before being pulled.)
Fix warriors 3 ability (I see Warriors die despite killing players while using skill 3)
Give Mesmers a new skill 3 ability (That phant is weak as all hell, using skill 2 and then spamming skill 1 is enough to down most people thanks to the stacking confusion, rendering skill 3 weaker in comparison)
Thieves need some kind of mini cooldown on 3 if they use 2, as if they time it right they can’t ever be finished off (Seriously, my thief once lasted over 10 minutes against 3 people because of well timed skill usage, and then I rallyed cus one of them who ran off died to someone else)