How to fix PvP

How to fix PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Josh XT.6053

Josh XT.6053

Currently, PvP means Points vs Points for me. Players vs Players hardly describes it because a group of 5 skilled players can lose a match to a group of mediocre players that play bunker mesmers/ele/etc and sit on points pretty easily.

So here is the solution to make PvP actually mean Players vs Players.

Remove PvE elements.
The beasts, lords, orbs, trebs, communes, etc. Get rid of those completely, a PvP match should not be able to be determined by PvE elements such as lords worth 150 points or beast creatures that are broken that are worth 25 points, I’ve ran up on those beasts while the enemy almost had them dead and hit them 2 times and got credit – why is that even a thing?

Change what captured objectives do.
Instead of the team gaining 1 point every second (or whatever that is) for holding it, hows about making player kills worth 2 points more for each point held? So if I have a team 3 capped, my team get 11 points per kill, 2 capped 9 points, 1 capped 6 points. Keep the objective defender and assaulter rewards in place. That way, your team is still rewarded for capturing and holding points which will help to spread them out more.

I want this game mode to be more “players vs players” than “points vs points”, I am sure a lot of people would agree with me.

Asphyxia [XT] – Fort Aspenwood Roamer
Twitch Stream – AsphyxiaXT
My Builds at Asphyxia.tv/builds

How to fix PvP

in PvP

Posted by: PowerBottom.5796

PowerBottom.5796

just a very bad idea, sorry….

PvE Elements are an important part of many great PvP-games and theres a reason why: They make the game more interesting, give the players more options and fighting NPC’s is still a very good option for creating secondary objectives. Or do you want a treb, shrines or another node to capture on every Map?

How to fix PvP

in PvP

Josh XT.6053

No I want all of that stuff removed because what does PvE content have to do with Players vs Players?

In a boxing match, does a boxer get to go up to a dog and kick it to gain more points? No, they don’t, because it is a player vs player kind of match..

How to fix PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Kaliny.8265

Kaliny.8265

No I want all of that stuff removed because what does PvE content have to do with Players vs Players?

In a boxing match, does a boxer get to go up to a dog and kick it to gain more points? No, they don’t, because it is a player vs player kind of match..

Poor dog…

I’m not always rude and sarcastic… Sometimes i’m asleep.

How to fix PvP

in PvP

Posted by: GoogleBrandon.5073

GoogleBrandon.5073

In simple terms; objectives mean outplay potential – however, too many objectives and you derrive from the true core of the game.

The objectives on the maps within Ranked (if it was open) do not deviate as much from the gamemode, as it gives the teams a way to outplay their opponent – who do you rotate at Temple for the buffs? When are you going to commit to a Lord Rush, and more specifically, when are you not? Do you want to use the Trebuchet to give your team a positional advantage as well as some extra pressure, or do you leave it untouched to make it difficult for the enemy to put pressure on the middle point because the sides are closed?

These are all situations that are a perfect balance between objective control and gameplay – PvP in this game is not just “Whoever whacks harder wins”, it is about outplaying your opponent in the most clever way. If all “PvE elements” were to be removed, you will severely lessen the ways to outplay the opponents by putting pressure elsewhere on the map. You can easily see this with Courtyard – despite it’s many flaws, one of the biggest is that you cannot outplay your opponent whatsoever, and this results in many stomps.

Alternatively, look at Stronghold, a map so objective driven, you can see that there is little interraction between the players, or severely lessened, because the way to win is putting pressure via objectives – this is why many people, myself included, do not like it as much as we like Conquest.

Also, your “fix” to PvP is just personal bias with seemingly little thought as to how the gamemode works and how to expand on it. If you “just like to kill players”, well, I am sad to inform you that Conquest is simply not the mode for you, but that does not mean that many agree with this aspect. If anything, the sole reason I like Conquest is because the gamemode might seem easy, but to adjust to it, understand your role, and in the end outplay your enemy, takes a lot of strategional knowledge and understanding to the game as a whole – while deathmatch would sound boring to me because the strategy involved will be dumbed down a lot, with little outplay mechanics aside exploiting the enemies flaws.

Guild channel with PvP uploads
Lost? Confused? [TCS] – A guild for every state of body and mind

How to fix PvP

in PvP

Josh XT.6053

I think outplaying the opponent is beating them in a fight. That is what PvP should be about. Not necessarily Courtyard deathmatch style, because that map is just chaos in one place at all times.

I do understand what you’re saying, I just get annoyed when I have the beast in the Forest map down to almost no hp then one guy comes along and puts a condition on it, literally hits it once or twice and gets credit. Mechanics like that are just broken and either need fixed or removed.

Spirit watch orb mechanic gives way too many points for a score – if you’re going to leave it, at least drop the points to 10 if the point is owned by your team or 5 if it isn’t. Zerging the orb and taking it to far and having one bunker sit on home is dumb but works 99% of the time.

I personally think Legacy is set up well, but the lord should only be worth maybe 50 points, definitely not 150 points. A match can get so close and then its a race to who has more DPS to take the lord down anyway. I can go to the lord on my dragonhunter, drop my traps then pull everything and kill the lord in about 5 seconds by myself and gain my team 150 points – fair? Nah.

Battle map, trebs just deal too much damage, if they insist on keeping it, the damage should be halved or more. I get into a fight on mid there where its 2 people vs me on my ele, I am winning because I can outsustain them, I get one downed, second one is almost down, then out of no where – treb shot that takes half my HP or more while I’m already at 1/2 to 3/4 hp in this fight, so now I am downed and then another treb shot hits me while the guy who is close to down hard rezzes his buddy. Now I am full dead and I would have taken less damage had it turned into a 3v1 where the player on the treb was actually fighting me lol. And I know, send someone to the treb, I got outplayed right? I suppose so, ANet out played me by putting a mechanic on the map that is just too strong.

Skyhammer – don’t even get me started. The hammer mechanic is idiotic and hits too large of an area for way too much damage, what more can be said? Bunker mesmer or a high power dragonhunter sits on the hammer and you’re not going to stop them from having it..

Each of the maps PVE mechanic is broken. If they insist on keeping the PvE mechanics, at least fix them so that they’re balanced.

How to fix PvP

in PvP

Josh XT.6053

And I should mention that I was primarily a WvW player that ran small 5 man groups or less before my game mode was ruined when HoT came out. I’ve been playing PvP pretty much every day since and these are things that irritate me about the game mode.

Winning doesn’t matter anyway, I am just in it for the fights, just wish the fights mattered more since its supposed to be players vs players, not players vs players+pve.

How to fix PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

I thought pvp meant passive vs passive, who had the most passive buffs – wins

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

How to fix PvP

in PvP

Posted by: NonToxic.9185

NonToxic.9185

If you’re getting beaten on points, taking out the beasts, lords, and trebs is probably the last thing you want, lol.

How to fix PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I think there should be different kinds of PvP. Alterac Valley and Isle of Conquest are very fun PvP modes and Isle of Conquest and other maps have siege elements. WvW is a nice game mode (could use a radical overhaul in its current state though it’s empty) but lacks structure and is more like open world PvP. Big sPvP maps are needed where armies fight each other 40 vs 40 and hold chokepoints while the opposing team tries breaking through and ends with the defeat of the opposing PvE boss.

I also think there should be achievements for 1v1 deathmatches and raw 5v5 PvP with a complete lack of PvE elements.

Part of being skilled is how to recapture those points. If the opposing team has the advantage it’s time to apply some defensive thinking: how to neutralize their advantage. I prefer runes of the eagle in all game modes on DPSers because if I have an advantage I know there’s a credible chance to lose it, but with 6% extra damage if the opponent is below 50% makes the defender’s task of recovering even harder.

How to fix PvP

in PvP

Josh XT.6053

I think there should be different kinds of PvP. Alterac Valley and Isle of Conquest are very fun PvP modes and Isle of Conquest and other maps have siege elements. WvW is a nice game mode (could use a radical overhaul in its current state though it’s empty) but lacks structure and is more like open world PvP. Big sPvP maps are needed where armies fight each other 40 vs 40 and hold chokepoints while the opposing team tries breaking through and ends with the defeat of the opposing PvE boss.

I also think there should be achievements for 1v1 deathmatches and raw 5v5 PvP with a complete lack of PvE elements.

Part of being skilled is how to recapture those points. If the opposing team has the advantage it’s time to apply some defensive thinking: how to neutralize their advantage. I prefer runes of the eagle in all game modes on DPSers because if I have an advantage I know there’s a credible chance to lose it, but with 6% extra damage if the opponent is below 50% makes the defender’s task of recovering even harder.

Agreed with all. Adding this as a game mode for PvP would be really nice.

How to fix PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Zeghart.9841

Zeghart.9841

I understand where you’re coming from, but that sounds like a pretty bad idea. That would make conquest basically like deathmatch or arena mode. Courtyard was exactly that, and was hated by almost everyone. Not to mention it would make maps barely different between each other.

Extra elements in a pvp game is what makes the game more engaging and deep. Look at the top competitive games out there and you’ll notice that none of them are straight up player vs player with no side objectives.

If you’re requesting a completely extra mode for pure combat or duels however, then that might work – I was thinking that the Guild Hall arenas could be used for something more official – but changing Conquest in that way is a big no-no for me.

It has to start somewhere. It has to start sometime.
What better place than here? What better time than now?

How to fix PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Shadow.1345

Shadow.1345

Yet when they had Courtyard every one kittened to get rid of it.

How to fix PvP

in PvP

Posted by: kito.1827

kito.1827

yeah right!
or in a – often times so called – real pvp invironment like in a moba u have none of….. oh wait….

Karl Otik
no gutz no glory
“Tranquility has a beard.”