How will the update affect match-making?

in PvP

Posted by: Zak.9106

Zak.9106

Structured Player vs. Player

Matchmaking:

Matchmaking now expands profession count scoring penalties over time instead of being a fixed amount.

The number of desired professions per team before penalties are applied begins at 1 and will rise to 2 after two minutes.

Matches can now be restricted to never allow more than the desired number of professions, but this feature is subject to change as we review matchmaking quality.

Thanks!

in PvP

Posted by: Cayenne.5341

Cayenne.5341

i do not even understand the wording

in PvP

Posted by: Mr Godlike.6098

Mr Godlike.6098

This kinda update should happen after season – not in the middle of season. If works bad or it buged it will ruin many people’s raiting. Anet shouldn’t experiment on players when season is on.

Was depressed ele…now depressed druid
Kawaleria (KW)

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Yeah I’m really confused too. It sounds like it’s trying to reduce profession stacks? The wording doesn’t really work without context.

I assume it’s related to these parameters in the matchmaker:

Scoring/Profession/@max
Target maximum number of professions that should exist on a team.

Scoring/Profession/unique Score added or removed for each unique profession, under Scoring/Profession/max, the potential roster would add to the team.

Scoring/Profession/common Score added or removed for each duplicate profession, at or above Scoring/Profession/max, the potential roster would add to the team.

Scoring/Profession/@matching
Score added or removed each professions that the other team has more of. This promotes profession balance.

note: “Scoring” is not talking about your MMR rating, it’s a internal metric that the MM uses for determining which matchups are best.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/PvP_Matchmaking_Algorithm

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: Zak.9106

Zak.9106

okay, that’s kind of helpful. I guess a foundational knowledge of the matchmaker (and the context) are necessary to really understand it.

in PvP

Posted by: wwDefuser.2056

wwDefuser.2056

well i also dont understand this… the german translation is even worse.
I red it like:

If there are stacked classes in your team each player gets less rating for a win and loses more rating for a loss ???? how does this makes sense since stacking is mostly a disadvantage for your team

They count the number of stacked classes from minute 1 to 2 … so the first 2 minutes of the game = the time where u can reroll.

What they may meant is:

1. stacking classes in a team reduce Rating variation.
  2. class stacking is gonna reduced but it’s still possible when there are not enough players available
  3. stacked classes are count within 2 minutes at the start of a match

in PvP

Crinn.7864

I red it like:

If there are stacked classes in your team each player gets less rating for a win and loses more rating for a loss ???? how does this makes sense since stacking is mostly a disadvantage for your team

They count the number of stacked classes from minute 1 to 2 … so the first 2 minutes of the game = the time where u can reroll.

What they may meant is:

2. class stacking is gonna reduced but it’s still possible when there are not enough players available

“Scoring” in this context is completely unrelated to your rating. It’s a internal metric for comparing potential matchups.

What it seems to be doing is putting increased matchmaker priority on having 5 unique classes, and only expanding to 4 unique classes after 2 minutes.

YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: wwDefuser.2056

wwDefuser.2056

“Scoring” in this context is completely unrelated to your rating. It’s a internal metric for comparing potential matchups.

What it seems to be doing is putting increased matchmaker priority on having 5 unique classes, and only expanding to 4 unique classes after 2 minutes.

This makes more sense Thx

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

I red it like:

What they may meant is:

Only downside I see is that by still allowing class swapping in the time before match starts anyone who wants to get faster Q pops needs to just Q on a Non Class Daily (usually less people Q with the classes that are not on the profession dailies) or better yet Q as Revenant (lol) and then swap after map loads.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

people will stack professions with swaping if its a benefit so …

in PvP

Crinn.7864

people will stack professions with swaping if its a benefit so …

But stacking isn’t a benefit so they won’t.

YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: Shadows.5312

Shadows.5312

Anet create more stack professions

1 st game
My team: 2 thief, 2 guard
Other team: No stack

Next few games:
My team: No stack
Other team: 2 ele

in PvP

Posted by: steelheart.7386

steelheart.7386

This kinda update should happen after season – not in the middle of season. If works bad or it buged it will ruin many people’s raiting. Anet shouldn’t experiment on players when season is on.

You are defending the integrity of a system that has no integrity. And during seasons is when they should experiment as people play even less in the off season. If they have something they think is a good addition they should just put it in as soon as possible as far as I am concerned.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

You are defending the integrity of a system that has no integrity. And during seasons is when they should experiment as people play even less in the off season. If they have something they think is a good addition they should just put it in as soon as possible as far as I am concerned.

I agree. It’s a huge waste of time waiting 2-3 months for a new matchmaking change. Rather see them do tweaks during the season to implement change immediately.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Marxx.5021

Marxx.5021

Still the same bad game mode. Still getting punished for other ppl dcs or bad play.

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I red it like:

What they may meant is:

Thats understandable, why couldn’t they have written that. The patch notes are nonsensical.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in PvP

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

Hope Anet gives us an official translation for this update ><.

in PvP

Crinn.7864

Thats understandable, why couldn’t they have written that. The patch notes are nonsensical.

The wording makes me think that the patch notes where basically them copy pasting their internal changelog.

Someone was probably in a hurry.

YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

so it seems to me this “scoring penalty” is something to measure a players skill with a particular class. the over time vs fixed amount I think is an improvement to its accuracy. over all good changes!
good job anet.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

It will do nothing but increase queue times initially.

Then people will realize they can queue on an unpopular class, get in, and switch to a popular one immediately.

In summary: a waste of time.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

I find it great. The matches are much more pleasant not facing dh stacks. this change has been a long time coming and I hope it is permanent.

( I’m currently at exactly 50% w/l on the season with 76 games. I’m running a core Mesmer build because I don’t particularly like chrono. If ANET would tone down the elite specs a bit more, I could see core specs coming back strong. Maybe allow certain runes/amulets/ sigils on core builds only?)

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

my interpretation is the longer you are in a queue the less likely you are to have duplicate professions. However, since that also increases the MMR it will consider over time, you will be more likely to be placed in matches with a larger spread of player ratings

It applies to the scoring phase of the matchmaking algorithm:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/PvP_Matchmaking_Algorithm

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

so it seems to me this “scoring penalty” is something to measure a players skill with a particular class. the over time vs fixed amount I think is an improvement to its accuracy. over all good changes!
good job anet.

That is incorrect. “Rating” is the term they use for your ladder position. Scoring has to do with how likely you are to be placed in a partially formed team in queue.

in PvP

Posted by: Mr Godlike.6098

Mr Godlike.6098

I am not defending anything . This kind of updates are proven as generally untested and we usually get thing that devs ,,think" that it works. I don’t mind anet experiment with mmr and matchmaking to improve the game but it shouldn’t be during season when players have something to lose – their rating.

If anet had test serwers or something like that i wouldn’t mind. If anet knew (not thought) what effect they will make – i don’t mind. It might be good change , we need check this out right? But if it’s bugged, broken ( more uneven matchups, blowouts) people will lose rating.

Was depressed ele…now depressed druid
Kawaleria (KW)

(edited by Mr Godlike.6098)

in PvP

Posted by: Najten.2418

Najten.2418

It would help if patch notes were written in layman’s terms, and not some cryptic wording that only makes sense if you have a very good idea of the inner workings and details of the matchmaking system to begin with.

And I dunno, but I haven’t been in any matches all night that didn’t have multiple Guardians, Necros, and even Thieves.. on both sides.

(edited by Najten.2418)

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

For me, matches have been much more competitive after the change. I’m waiting a bit longer in the queue, but I don’t mind that a bit.

GG ANET.

Mesmerising Girl