Hung up the Thief class...maybe for good.

in PvP

Posted by: Shovel Face.4512

Shovel Face.4512

Sad day today. I guess everyone was right and I was wrong. I take back a lot of things I said about this class. To put it straight, thief is NOT viable, it’s horrible and it’s terrible. It’s easily the worst class in PvP season 2, yes even behind warrior. I mained thief since day 1 and got to legendary all on thief last season. This season, not happening. You know it’s a problem when your backstabbing for 2k, Heartseeker for 500 and shadowshot for 800. 11k hp and low armor means thief die super fast. Every class is stacked with blocks, invulns,, weakness and protection, all mitigating the thiefs damage potential. I thought things would be better this season clearly it isn’t and Anet needs to do something about it. At this point, I don’t know what they can do because thief at its current state is just a pile of kitten.

But I guess it’s ok because now I get to hop on the necromancer bandwagon right….right?

in PvP

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

I still like to see a good thief more than an average any other class….
It is not as strong as the main meta choices but in a good hand it can do very well.

The only class I can’t say so for this season is probably warrior. They simply bring nothing to the table.

in PvP

Posted by: Link.1049

Link.1049

If you’re not playing Necro, Ranger, Revenant, or Guardian this season then you’re not playing PvP…hence why I’m not playing PvP anymore.

in PvP

Posted by: Extreme.8350

Extreme.8350

just roll reaper like everyone else

in PvP

Shovel Face.4512

I still like to see a good thief more than an average any other class….
It is not as strong as the main meta choices but in a good hand it can do very well.

The only class I can’t say so for this season is probably warrior. They simply bring nothing to the table.

I mean I’d say I play one hell of a thief but again, when your backstab only does 2k dmg and shadowshot 800 dmg it’s just like wow and they do insane damage to you. +1 doesn’t work anymore because it takes forever to kill any class because of their invulns and CC and in no time an ele or rev will come, Rez the downed ally and kill the 2 of us. Not only that, I feel every time one of teammates see the key and dagger show up on their side, their morale just falls of a cliff cuz they know how utterly useless the class is.

in PvP

Posted by: NICENIKESHOE.7128

NICENIKESHOE.7128

Thief still counters zerkers quite well. Trouble is most people run paladin amulet nowadays (even the past “glass” builds), so it is inevitable that your attacks feel like wet noodle. To make things worst, protection still get thrown around like candy so burst damage is quite inferior to sustain damage. Hence most meta is moving towards bruisers rather than glass cannons.

in PvP

Posted by: raven.9870

raven.9870

if your backstab do just 2k damage you are doing something wrong dude. it’s 5.5k on heavy class 6.5k on medium and over 7.k on light..plus if you stacking with mug 1.8 and other 1.8 of pulmonary impact if you interrupt the foe. you can actually kill you opponents if you play wise and positioning you perfectly behind them..the only issue are engie since you drop them under 25% and they proc passively unvulnerability but after that if you save a bit of initiative you can heart sekeer them to death.

Victory at any cost

in PvP

Posted by: Link.1049

Link.1049

Meta is all about high defense and high offense now that you can get both without compromise in many classes. Thief isn’t one of those classes. With a full toughness vitality build a thief is still a one shot down, sometimes two shots. Originally thief was the high risk high reward class. Now you’d be better off playing Rev because it’s basically a thief mashed up with a guardian.

in PvP

Posted by: Seyiwaji.4082

Seyiwaji.4082

It is funny to see people complaining about thieves again. They are not bad, you just need to play the class as intended.
Instead of playing like a scum, people try to play them as if they were warrior. Thieves are scum, they are trash hide and always finish off the low HP target. This is what they are good for and this is why people should hate them when facing them.

Almost all your skills are to quickly finish low HP players, but….
Going in 1 v 1 on an enemy that as already spotted you, is one of the dumbest thing. But 80% of the thieves are doing this, and complain.

in PvP

Posted by: Spikes.8425

Spikes.8425

I feel the same way. Have been playing thief since headstart but at the moment im seriously contemplating rolling another class or just leaving the game. From my limited experience the +1 roll does only work if your team got its kitten together anyways.

in PvP

Posted by: TreK.3794

TreK.3794

I’ve been playing thief since day 1, and to be honest, I have mixed feelings about the thief’s position in the game at the moment. While its role in pve has become more significant, its position in pvp has become inferior compared to other classes.

In my opinion, the problem is that in the current meta game in PvP the role of this class is just basically not needed, and more importantly, this role can’t be altered, which leads to my second point.

The diversity of builds available for thief. Instead of explaining my argument, I would rather suggest you to go to metabattle.com and check out the available and viable builds for Elementalist and Thief. You’ll see what I’m talking about. (Note that I’m talking about the classes in general not only PvP.)

Another issue that I would personally pay more attention to is the Acro trait line. While it should be focusing on evades, the Daredevil trait line provides more and better offensive and defensive traits connected to evades (Heal on evade, condi removal on evade, bounding dodger, perma swiftness with UC etc.), which leads me to the question: Why is the Acro trait line even there?

However, I’m quite happy with the changes Anet’s made to the d/p setup, I’ve always been a d/p player, simply because (for me) that’s the only weapon setup where which every skill from 1 to 5 is somehow useful and worth spending inititative on. I also like doing combos, and this weapon setup handles that as well.

Overall, I think more attention should be payed on the Acro trait line, build diversity and the role of the class in PvP.

Thanks for reading.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Thief would be better off if they nerfed rev and scrappers – those 2 classes make thief simply unplayable in pvp (given same skill level, that is). I would really love to see explanation from rev and scrapper devs why the hell they made those 2 classes such extreme hardcounter. Hello? Common sense? Where are you? It is like they wanted every single thief to quit this game.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: AegisFLCL.7623

AegisFLCL.7623

I’m currently swapping out between Thief and Druid, just about to hit ruby, and I’ve actually noticed it’s much easier to carry on Thief than my druid atm (77% w/l ratio so far). While it’s still a problem that you’re forced into being a +1 hit and run, thief is SO valuable when your team has pressure and you choose to play it against the right comps.

I think too many Thief players are too impatient when it comes to the play style. Don’t blow CD’s so quickly, bait dodges, and swap the proper traits when comps call for it.

I know it’ll probably get a bit worse once I get into late ruby and diamond, but that’s because anet just doesn’t want to take scrapper defense down to where it should be. I think Thief is actually pretty useful in the right hands. Will comment again later down the road.

(edited by AegisFLCL.7623)

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

If you’re not playing Necro, Ranger, Revenant, or Guardian this season then you’re not playing PvP…hence why I’m not playing PvP anymore.

Lol how are you going to throw Guardian, and even Ranger in there and not Elementalist/Scrapper? They’re the top tier Bruiser and Support, respectively.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

Posted by: Crimson Shi.5047

Crimson Shi.5047

Sorry I don’t see it, seen some thieves rekt, reapers, druids, tempests, and scrappers.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Sorry I don’t see it, seen some thieves rekt, reapers, druids, tempests, and scrappers.

Those scrappers should uninstall.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Wow this is huge news. Let us know if you decide to go back to thief or not please OP. This is huge news and I must be kept updated with what class ShovelFace.4512 decides to play.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Posted by: zell.3051

zell.3051

Funny, I’ve been playing thief solo Q for the past few days (late start after new season) and got up to ruby with little to no trouble at all. In fact, I haven’t had this much fun in pvp on thief in a long long time. The number of “^&% YOU HACKER” and “REPORTET U” comments rack up by the hour and I seem to thoroughly enjoy this season’s pvp on one of the “supposedly” unwanted classes this cough “meta”.

From what I gather, it’s more of a L2Play issue rather than an “unable to adapt” problem, maybe both or maybe I’m just not seeing the stuff you’re on about.

Either way, thief is fine.

in PvP

Posted by: Asrat.2645

Asrat.2645

ummm 11k hp? Youre playing zerker, aint ya? Should not be suprised if that does not work. No class succesfully runs zerker as far as I know, so why would you try doing it on the squishiest of them all? Maruader m8. Or even better: sage, assassins reward and d/d, and let them cry about your cheesy opness for once. I actually have a lot of necors whispering me, telling me I should feel bad. Exept for that one good necro player who told me they were noobs not beeing able to deal with my build. ^^

in PvP

Posted by: vaxjani.9073

vaxjani.9073

As Cynz said – revenants and scrappers are the ones to blame (revs more ofc). If they would “balance” those classes (rev shiro abilities mostly so they dont have that many dodges and 1200 range tp to target (would change range on it)) thief would have a place.
I will still play thief throughout this season (playing with and against highly skilled people) because i enjoy it.

So yes, thief is fine, some other professions aren’t.

Lagspike – Never Gonna Find Me – Happy Burstday
War/Ranger/Thief Roaming Vids

in PvP

Shovel Face.4512

Funny, I’ve been playing thief solo Q for the past few days (late start after new season) and got up to ruby with little to no trouble at all. In fact, I haven’t had this much fun in pvp on thief in a long long time. The number of “^&% YOU HACKER” and “REPORTET U” comments rack up by the hour and I seem to thoroughly enjoy this season’s pvp on one of the “supposedly” unwanted classes this cough “meta”.

From what I gather, it’s more of a L2Play issue rather than an “unable to adapt” problem, maybe both or maybe I’m just not seeing the stuff you’re on about.

Either way, thief is fine.

L2p? Lol. How was the grind?

in PvP

Shovel Face.4512

ummm 11k hp? Youre playing zerker, aint ya? Should not be suprised if that does not work. No class succesfully runs zerker as far as I know, so why would you try doing it on the squishiest of them all? Maruader m8. Or even better: sage, assassins reward and d/d, and let them cry about your cheesy opness for once. I actually have a lot of necors whispering me, telling me I should feel bad. Exept for that one good necro player who told me they were noobs not beeing able to deal with my build. ^^

Really? U think I run zerker? Did I not say I went to Leg last season?

in PvP

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

Thieves are the worst forum posters as well as the worst players.

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in PvP

Posted by: Regon Phoenix.8215

Regon Phoenix.8215

Author gained +30 troll points.

When you fall, i will be right behind you and whisper: “Who will protect you now?”