I feel PvP is a lot more fun.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Obviously, there are Numerous bugs that needs addressing and burst damage in general is a bit too fast (half a second too fast) for reaction-time-counter play, BUT I do enjoy the quicker gameplay. The overall PvP experience feels better to me and every class feels viable in their own way. I’m having a lot more fun that’s for sure.

Thoughts?

Flame Shield Activated

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

Well, the first few days were really fun, trying out new builds, getting adjusted to the changes and so on.

Now I’m still lacking a goal, something to play for. A ladder or a good reward structure…

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

in PvP

Posted by: PowerBottom.5796

PowerBottom.5796

I really love the game atm, needs a bit of balancing, but thats okay.

Many classes got some pretty cool traits that make them more skill-intensive and fun to play, like Powerblock, Quick Draw, Taunt, Stone Heart, Kinetic Charge and so on.

I really get GW1-nostalgia-feelings in Teamfights when playing Powerblock Mesmer now – which is amazing. ^^

in PvP

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

Yes, it’s so fun getting one shot by engineers using one skill.

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

in PvP

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Its definetly not. Pvp is now full of instagib tards. All defensive and strategic gameplay is gone. It was fun first day. Now its just incredibly frustrating. I loved pvp before now now I am just done until they fix this nonsense

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

in PvP

Posted by: Deniara Devious.3948

Deniara Devious.3948

I have opposite feeling. I haven’t had any fun matches after the patch. Damage, burst, the amount of stun lock, burst from stealth etc. all too much.

Most fights have become a matter:
- which overwhelms the other (e.g. 3 vs 2 advantage) wins
- reaction test (dodge or die)

I understand that this will appeal some players, but it won’t make GW2 spvp popular esports, but quite the contrary.

Deniara / Ayna – I want the original WvWvW maps back – Desolation [EU]

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

I suppose it’s because I can instant stun break myself and pop invulnerability vs bursts. I was curious if any other classes have similar counters to what they’ve been experiencing in PvP. Is Guardian more balanced in this area? I assumed Warriors/Eles/Mesmers could either go invulnerable or stealth, respectively.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Teutos.8620

- reaction test (dodge or die)

So, the better player wins? Looks fine to me.

I understand that this will appeal some players, but it won’t make GW2 spvp popular esports, but quite the contrary.

Most esports titles are very fast.

in PvP

Teutos.8620

Which profession do you play and which amulet/build are you using?

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

I suppose it’s because I can instant stun break myself and pop invulnerability vs bursts. I was curious if any other classes have similar counters to what they’ve been experiencing in PvP. Is Guardian more balanced in this area? I assumed Warriors/Eles/Mesmers could either go invulnerable or stealth, respectively.

Warrior – Endure Pain has 1 min CD.
Ele – Invul on 50s CD (~35 traited?) on Focus (earth), Invul like utis are rather meh.
Mesmer – Distortion (50s?), stealth doesn’t prevent incoming damage.

Probably the best defense against instabursts is Vampire rune…

in PvP

Posted by: Nightshade.5924

Nightshade.5924

PvP WAS fun. It was survivable. You could play your build, esp as a Turret Eng., and expect to get some kills, take some points, basically feel useful.

Not anymore. Those halcyon days are dead and buried. My turrets might as well as be made out of tissue paper, they get burned up so fast. Their range seems to be reduced, and as far as the skill tree is concerned, most turret improvement picks are gone. There’s one sop at the top of the inventions tree, a damage reduce. Everything else, Pfftt poof bye-bye.

My toon isn’t much better. I haven’t changed a single thing, but I used to be able to survive for more than five seconds. Now guardians, of all classes, are blowing me away. Never mind the thieves that pop out and more or less one shot me now. If this is the new combat system, well, I have to say that it needs to GO AWAY. NOW.

Because if the mobs in game are hitting like this, oh baby, PvE just got WAY too interesting.

I’ve heard people say that PvP design is based on the input and gaming of the top players, say the top 10%. And that, if true, right there is where the problem lies. This is a MMORPG. Games like this need to be designed and based around the common person, NOT the Olympic Athletes.

Put another way, our toons, their attacks, dam, toughness, etc., especially in PvP, should NOT be like Ferraris or Formula Ones. Anyone COULD drive such a vehicle, but only a privileged and skilled few will be able to drive them well, and even fewer will be able to drive them at the top of their performance envelope.

But if the toon design is like your basic Chevy, or Ford, or GM, or Saturn (ETC), then the playing field is leveled. No matter WHO you are, there is only so much you can do with the equipment available. This would radically tighten the envelope and make PvP MUCH more equitable and enjoyable.

cheers

in PvP

Teutos.8620

Games like this need to be designed and based around the common person

I’m a bit confused here. Can you please give some real game examples a not talk about cars. From my perspective you are saying: “I can’t dodge the opponents abilities, so there should not be abilities I have to dodge.”

in PvP

Morwath.9817

Games like this need to be designed and based around the common person

I’m a bit confused here. Can you please give some real game examples a not talk about cars. From my perspective you are saying: “I can’t dodge the opponents abilities, so there should not be abilities I have to dodge.”

Rather : you should be able to dodge burst as often as burst user has it avalible. Each single time, impossible now.

in PvP

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

It’s a pretty drastic change, especially considering how many people liked the cele meta. People liked the sustain meta because the previous zerk meta allowed no skilled play. It was burst or die. Well look we are now…

My fear is that the devs did not intentionally do this (things we know), and they actually have no idea what they have done.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

(edited by Sube Dai.8496)

in PvP

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

Thoughts?

That a big part of why you are having more fun is that a lot has changed and people are playing a lot of different builds, trying out and fighting against new things is fun, when a meta has been established and you have played against the same builds for 6 months, things will be less fun.

(edited by zinkz.7045)

in PvP

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

From my perspective you are saying: “I can’t dodge the opponents abilities, so there should not be abilities I have to dodge.”

It is funny how people bring this sort of thing up, but never look at it from the other perspective, focusing someone down in this game is by far the least skilled in any MMO I’ve played, no healers, no diminishing returns / immunity on CC, the most forgiving / abusable stealth system I’ve ever played, etc make it faceroll, especially against certain classes, it is simply brainless.

(edited by zinkz.7045)

in PvP

Teutos.8620

It is funny how people bring this sort of thing up, but never look at it from the other perspective, focusing someone down in this game is by far the least skilled in any MMO I’ve played, no healers, no diminishing returns / immunity on CC, the most forgiving / abusable stealth system I’ve ever played, etc make it faceroll, especially against certain classes, it is simply brainless.

Then you definitely should play more games.

in PvP

Posted by: Ocosh.5843

Ocosh.5843

I’ll admit, I’m not entirely sure about the source of all the negativity, and I wonder if a lot of the people so down on the changes simply didn’t play much PvP before. Or perhaps the skill level required to execute high damage combinations has been lowered, meaning lower tiers of play are now exposed to a burst presence that wasn’t there before? As far as I can tell, I’m a mid-level player, so I play with and against all parts of the spectrum.

Mesmers and Thieves could already kill you pretty darn fast. The damage they deal to others is a bit higher now, but so is the damage that others deal to them. I haven’t experienced any massive shift in gameplay.

I have been sustaining just fine on Cele builds since the update — in fact, I’ve been able to enjoy a greater variety of builds than previously were available to me. The neat experimentation phase will obviously pass, but I would venture that at the least the changes have wrought the potential for a “meta” that includes more than 5 builds.

Absolutely, there are items that need tweaking, and I expect these will sift out over the coming weeks just as does the crop of clearly superior builds. There are a few things that are annoying (PU comes readily to mind, along with perhaps a couple other traits that one previously had to sacrifice damage to take, also the particular Taunt mechanics, but nothing that minor editing can’t fix (Engineer’s Grenade Barrage is bugged, guys. It’s no fun to be hit with it, and I don’t know why it’s taken so long to fix, but don’t judge the changes on bugs)), and a few losses (so far, RIP, my dear condi Necro), but nothing gamebreaking that I’ve seen.

All in all, I’m regarding the changes with a generally favorable eye, but I’m not making any concrete decisions as yet. I could be mistaken, but I’m going to aim to be patient and see how matters develop as everything is tested.

in PvP

Posted by: Vegito.3048

Vegito.3048

+1. It is more fun. Having resistance be more widespread would be good as an answer to the insane burning damage. Knowing I can pop my healing signet to surpress a huge condi burst is pretty awesome.

I wouldn’t change how bursty the meta is though. I like the fast pace.

Rantev [Warrior]

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

Ele – Invul on 50s CD (~35 traited?) on Focus (earth), Invul like utis are rather meh.

Oh, thanks for that. I knew they had some form of invulnerability skills (thought ele had 2) to counter said bursts but I guess it isn’t as good as the guard. I feel the sustains can be there if people spec for it; Guardian’s Absolute Resolution or Shout cleansing builds can help sustain a team greatly. But I’ve yet to see a synchronized cleansing team in action… so i’m quite curious if bursts are there in higher competitive play or if it’s just a solo/lower tier PvP issue.

To elaborate, there has always been two metas in the game. Competitive play and solo pvp. People say 1 thing is op in spvp but in tpvp, it’s manageable.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Morwath.9817

Oh, thanks for that. I knew they had some form of invulnerability skills (thought ele had 2) to counter said bursts but I guess it isn’t as good as the guard. That said, I feel the sustains are still there if people spec for it. Guardian’s Absolute Resolution or even Shout cleansing builds can help sustain a team greatly. But I’ve yet to see a synchronized cleansing team in action… so i’m quite curious if bursts are there in higher competitive play or if it’s just a solo/lower tier PvP issue.

To elaborate, there has always been two metas in the game. Competitive play and solo pvp. People say 1 thing is op in spvp but in tpvp, it’s manageable.

oRNG won today GO4ESL with:
Warrior GS Zerker, Bunker Guard, Bunker Ele, Mesmer, Thief

beating in final TCG with had following setup:
2 Bunker Ele, Soldier Engi, Mesmer, Thief

As I’ve predicted in different thread, meta will be slowly going into Heavy Bunkers + Mesmer & Thief, because heavy bunking is the best way to face Mesmer & Thief duo bursting everything.

Back to ‘invuls’ Ele got also Arcane Shield and Mist Form, however as mentioned before, they are meh and barely played on something else than Fresh Air.

(edited by Morwath.9817)

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

Oh, thanks for that. I knew they had some form of invulnerability skills (thought ele had 2) to counter said bursts but I guess it isn’t as good as the guard. That said, I feel the sustains are still there if people spec for it. Guardian’s Absolute Resolution or even Shout cleansing builds can help sustain a team greatly. But I’ve yet to see a synchronized cleansing team in action… so i’m quite curious if bursts are there in higher competitive play or if it’s just a solo/lower tier PvP issue.

Omg I forgot what today was. I gotta watch it!
Thanks!

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Scambug.3502

Scambug.3502

Well, the first few days were really fun, trying out new builds, getting adjusted to the changes and so on.

Now I’m still lacking a goal, something to play for. A ladder or a good reward structure…

Agreed, this is my biggest gripe with PvP in this game. It’s good they got rid of gear progression but they should’ve replaced it with something else. It’s hard to believe after 3 years they still haven’t come up with a solid ladder system.

sPvP is fun but there’s really nothing to aim for currently outside of a meaningless/useless rank system and some cosmetic unlocks.

in PvP

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Which profession do you play and which amulet/build are you using?

I will just leave this here:

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

in PvP

Teutos.8620

I will just leave this here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj3jrayjwUs

We know that the grenadier trait is bug. Everybody does. You still don’t get one-shotted until you are also playing really squishy-

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

Also, I felt a Necro, Guard or War could have replaced the Engi on TCG. I felt he didn’t perform as well as the other classes did in the ESL.

Even with the Nade bug… engi doesn’t feel op.

Edit
Apologies, they banned it in the tournament. Still, I felt another class would have performed better :P!

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Nightshade.5924

Nightshade.5924

As I’ve predicted in different thread, meta will be slowly going into Heavy Bunkers + Mesmer & Thief, because heavy bunking is the best way to face Mesmer & Thief duo bursting everything.

Back to ‘invuls’ Ele got also Arcane Shield and Mist Form, however as mentioned before, they are meh and barely played on something else than Fresh Air.

Just as a curiosity, what in the heck is are you talking about? What’s oRNG? GO4ESL? I’m guessing some sort of tournament, but some definitions and significance might help an old guy like myself who only hops on these boards when I’m really irritated or confused. See my earlier post vis a vis irritation.

thanks.

(edited by Nightshade.5924)

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

I’ve heard people say that PvP design is based on the input and gaming of the top players, say the top 10%. And that, if true, right there is where the problem lies. This is a MMORPG. Games like this need to be designed and based around the common person, NOT the Olympic Athletes.

It’s based on the input of everyone. Yes, top players have influence on the game but it’s not better than a thread with 400 replies and 10k views about an item needing removal, aka turret engineers.

oRNG is Orange Logo, they’re a team who won WTS (biggest gw2 tournament), taking out the reigning champs, The Abjured. GO4ESL is a tournament that’s hosted every weekend. Look up Guild Wars 2 on Twitch to watch past tournaments.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: GoogleBrandon.5073

GoogleBrandon.5073

Oh, there is a thread like this;

I too had an incredible amount of fun, deducing builds, finding out scary bursts trying to counter it and succeeding, seeing the return of bunker guardians, which was definately something that threw some strategies to be…

Improvising, trying to find good match-ups, quicker rotations, no more stalling for minutes… It felt good to play again

Guild channel with PvP uploads
Lost? Confused? [TCS] – A guild for every state of body and mind

in PvP

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

I’d say that – based on the forum posts – this will last one month at maximum. Then we’ll be back to the “skillful” celestial or equivalent meta where engineers and shoutbows and dagger eles run around going through rotations without hitting hard but at least surviving for hours on end.

Unless Arenanet does not give in to the “buh bah too much damage” posts and stands by its decisions.

in PvP

Posted by: MailMail.6534

MailMail.6534

Obviously, there are Numerous bugs that needs addressing and burst damage in general is a bit too fast (half a second too fast) for reaction-time-counter play, BUT I do enjoy the quicker gameplay. The overall PvP experience feels better to me and every class feels viable in their own way. I’m having a lot more fun that’s for sure.

Thoughts?

Flame Shield Activated

+1

https://www.twitch.tv/thatcho
“The jealous are troublesome to others, but certainly a torment to themselves.”