I missed the Collaborative Talk...

I missed the Collaborative Talk...

in PvP

Posted by: Diage.6451

Diage.6451

How sad I am that I missed such a great opportunity to attempt to influence game design choices! I haven’t been around the forums at all for awhile, with that said I need to do one thing before I jump into the body of the post!

A reference to my post that got sadly closed after a year. I figure this might help to keep it’s idea alive.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Lost-potential/page/3

Anyhow, to that concept and point above, unless Anet learns how to tie depth into their game modes, they will not be able to create a Game Mode that will have a competitive attraction.

As it sits, the balance of the game is heavily focused on individual combat that is additive in it’s nature. This means that if I have two players, the sum of the duo is equal to the sum of the individuals. This concept is influenced entirely by the balance and not the game mode. Keep in mind that the (beneficial) opposite to this is the duo is greater than the sum of the individuals. I want to note that combo fields do exist yes, but that is a superficial combination at best. It, at it’s core, has a lot of potential, but alone does not create true teamwork.

So yes, as the thread above died people were discussing the plausibility of the topic within it. The reality is that it is completely plausible since it would merely require a rebalance. The problem is that the balance would be cumbersome for pve players and would therefore require a split. It is also true that the rebalance would require a complete shift in mentality about how they feel combat should be played.

When sitting inside an MMORPG landscape, you must have that game play in mind. You cannot sit here in this genre and try to implement a game that plays like an FPS. At best with that sort of choice you find out that there is a medium sized audience who is interested in an RPG that feels like an FPS, at worst (and most likely) you completely alienate your audience by providing a game that fails to meet the expectations of an RPG.

I don’t really want to go into the extreme depth I did in that post because when I went into it, I felt as if I was heard only by the people who already knew. The people who need to know these things are the developers and if their track record proves true, there is no real hope for anything more than a large number of non-competitive game modes.

I will probably wander through these forums until this thread dies then go back to forgetting about GW2. In the meantime, if anyone want’s to discuss highly/semi-highly abstract game design as it pertains to GW2 pvp (or competitive pvp in general), let me know.