I want an honest answer to address pvp

in PvP

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

Right now structured pvp is near unplayable. I’m not good and frankly everywhere the game itself directs me to is just do hotjoin it’s for new players. Hot join is literally 99% of the time you go into a map that is 400 to 20 and guess what you’re on the 20 side and you end the match and get literally nothing.

I’ve tried unranked and it’s not much better, I get stomped something fierce literally most of the time. I’m really bad, read very bad like ridiculously bad at pvp. There isn’t a single thing in game that teaches or introduces or eases into pvp. It’s like if they had a short this is basic game mechanics okay you got the hand now go into fractal 50 you’ll be fine you got the basic examples remember.

Why is it that any time of day on any week I go into the pvp server browser and not see a single full server? That tells you something about the status of structured pvp. It needs a complete overhaul. Screw those 120 people that play and redue the entire thing for Heart of Thorns and make it easier for new and all players. Get rid of this 5v5 arena kitten and go to a 10v10 style where individual is less important and you don’t feel like you sucking brings down the entire team.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

back then when the official hotjoin servers were 8 vs 8 it was more fun than it is now though.

then they said they wanted the players to learn how to 5 vs 5.

and thus this is what we have today.

in PvP

heartless.6803

God I really kittening wish MMO devs would get it through their thick fat skulls that less is worse.

in PvP

heartless.6803

Right now I feel like I’m so terrible I shouldn’t even be playing the game. I get so extremely frustrated when I play that I honestly don’t know why I even play the game. I’m not good, I know that. It’s not news to me. I’m really really really terrible. The more I watch videos or read things doesn’t help. I can watch every video in the entire universe and it still won’t help. All I want, literally the only thing. Is a chance to go up against people equally as terrible as me. I’m really really really really really reallyreally really really really really reallyreally really really really really reallyreally really really really really reallyreally really really really really reallyreally really really really really reallyreally really really really really reallyreally really really really really really bad. Like whenever I queue in at that current moment I’m the single worst player in queue I’m that terrible.

It’s so frustrating I’m ready to give up. I just want some kind of anything that says things will get better. We’re fixing this god awful mess of spvp.

in PvP

Posted by: adam.8692

adam.8692

So your answer to more enjoyable pvp is to increase the ammount of people in your team so your mistakes would have lesser impact instead of just learning to play better? Nice approach.

in PvP

Posted by: GoogleBrandon.5073

GoogleBrandon.5073

Reward progress and Hotjoins do not mix… simple as that

Guild channel with PvP uploads
Lost? Confused? [TCS] – A guild for every state of body and mind

in PvP

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

Assuming you’re lvl 80 you’ve learned the basics of your class and general combat. Then learn the basics of each class by watching youtube. If your class is to hard/complicated, pick an easier class./build/meta. Then go to the sparring partner NPCs representing each class in the Mists and have at it. Once true genius is achieved, seek redemption in unranked, once again.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

in PvP

Posted by: Eyia Hellhide.7320

Eyia Hellhide.7320

Oh come on, no one can be that bad. Let’s start with this: what class and build you playing?

The night is dark and full of turnips.

in PvP

Posted by: Reto.6712

Reto.6712

Imo, a great way of starting is playing some WvW (assuming you come from PvE). In WvW you can finally start fighting things that don’t stand still (players, unlike npcs), while being in an open environment filled with other things to do besides fighting. Roam around with a small group (5-6 people would be ideal), get a feel for fights and for your class’s capabilities. Find and make a good build, and then maybe try PvP again.

in PvP

heartless.6803

The three 80’s I have are Guardian, Mesmer and thief. I’ve done a lot of WvW and it’s absolutely nothing, not even remotely close, to spvp. I know how my class works but it doesn’t mean I’m good. I have poor reaction time and when you start shoving everything on me at once I start just pressing random buttons. Youtube doesn’t help, guides don’t help. Thats not my problem, my problem isn’t know what I should be doing. It’d actually doing it. I’m not good, remember?, I’m never a person that can or will get to anywhere near decent level of play.

All I’m asking, is can we put in something for pure kittened noobs? Something that automatically restricts over a certain rank? Something that doesn’t have daily progression or rank progression or track progression. That is purely for bad people to play against other bad people.

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

What you want to do is unranked…not hotjoin. Unranked uses a hidden rating system (MMR) to place you in matchups with players of similar skill. It just takes a few games to get calibrated, so ride it out for about 10 games. Luckily, unranked doesn’t count for anything so you won’t have to feel bad if you lose.

Hotjoin is just a cesspool of people trying to game the system and stack teams. It honestly only exists for custom arenas to host tournaments and the like.

in PvP

Posted by: Ashkew.6584

Ashkew.6584

Having a place to fight other noobs wont help you improve. What it does is it gives you a false sense of skill and improvement. Which still can be enjoyable ofcourse.

But trust me, i was overwhelmed by pvp and was smashing buttons, but after some time you will improve, especially if you play unranked. I only join the hot-join/practice mode for testing builds or because my kid is still awake and i wanna be able to afk or leave any second.

so to sum up, just play unranked, it will be a challange but it will make you improve

in PvP

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

The three 80’s I have are Guardian, Mesmer and thief. I’ve done a lot of WvW and it’s absolutely nothing, not even remotely close, to spvp. I know how my class works but it doesn’t mean I’m good. I have poor reaction time and when you start shoving everything on me at once I start just pressing random buttons. Youtube doesn’t help, guides don’t help. Thats not my problem, my problem isn’t know what I should be doing. It’d actually doing it. I’m not good, remember?, I’m never a person that can or will get to anywhere near decent level of play.

All I’m asking, is can we put in something for pure kittened noobs? Something that automatically restricts over a certain rank? Something that doesn’t have daily progression or rank progression or track progression. That is purely for bad people to play against other bad people.

You’ve touched on some of it, but figure out what is it that make you “bad”. If it is reaction time and feeling uncomfortable then once again practise is your friend. Maybe you can change your keybindings for easier use. In each encounter With a player try and have a goal or two for each time, like set up the most efficient damage rotation or try and see if you can pull those dodges off in time. Despite failure in the end result, being able to pull off those little genius during an encounter will make you grow and feel more comfortable. You could also problably work on Your positioning, dont try and put yourself at easy risk, you can even follow someone around and let them go in first. Maybe also go with a class guild that is a bit tanky so that enemies chose not to go for you first.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

in PvP

Posted by: Eyia Hellhide.7320

Eyia Hellhide.7320

Okay, forget about mesmer and thief for now, pick up the guardian. Go for the AH buid, this way you won’t the the first target in team fights and this will give you more time to think and react. Timing of the skills comes with practice.

As BlackBeard stated, you’ll be placed with players at your skill level at some point, it just takes some time till the system figures out where you belong. Don’t get frustrated and don’t call yourself bad. You’re not bad, just a beginner. I believe soon you’ll start to enjoy PvP experience.

The night is dark and full of turnips.

in PvP

Posted by: yLoon.5289

yLoon.5289

Sigh, sad to read such post. I feel you OP, when i first played the game, i was lucky because everyone still new to it, as time goes by, i found out more and more experience players in the pvp environment, thus resulting inexperience pvp players being thrashed =/.

Hello Arena, just segregate PVP players according to the rank, a rabbit/dolyak shouldnt be stomp by a dragon. (Repeated too many times on this…)
If you do not allowed people to play fractal level 50 at the first try, why do you allowed the rabbit to be sacrificed in veteran pvp game?

12K AP
Level 54 Bear Rank

(edited by yLoon.5289)

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

The three 80’s I have are Guardian, Mesmer and thief. … I have poor reaction time and when you start shoving everything on me at once I start just pressing random buttons. …

if you have problem with reaction time then why are you playing professions that require good reaction time in sPvP ?

have you tried playing warrior at least?

in hotjoin, if you somehow don’t end up in the steam-rolled team, as a warrior, you could have some fun.

in PvP

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Make an engineer spec turrets= profit

in PvP

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

this is true, Anet seems to have no intention of looking at turret engi for balance purprose, so you might as well play it while you can.

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

Why is it that any time of day on any week I go into the pvp server browser and not see a single full server? That tells you something about the status of structured pvp. It needs a complete overhaul. Screw those 120 people that play and redue the entire thing for Heart of Thorns and make it easier for new and all players. Get rid of this 5v5 arena kitten and go to a 10v10 style where individual is less important and you don’t feel like you sucking brings down the entire team.

In the PvP server browser you only see practice. Most players play unranked or ranked. So you only see a very small part of the people playing PvP at any given time. If you want big fights where the individual player is less important maybe WvW is the better game mode for you.

in PvP

Posted by: Dramen Maidria.1034

Dramen Maidria.1034

Yeah try bunker guard first it’s pretty forgiving and as long as you stick with some teammates you should be fine. You just have to give it time, let your MMR settle and you should start getting matched with similar people. There are plenty of players out there at your level.

Dramen Maidria
Knights of ARES, Dragonbrand
Good times, good memories

in PvP

Posted by: Michael.9517

Michael.9517

back then when the official hotjoin servers were 8 vs 8 it was more fun than it is now though.

then they said they wanted the players to learn how to 5 vs 5.

and thus this is what we have today.

yes, the 8v8 format was awsome.

in PvP

heartless.6803

Problem with turret engi is the good build requires the locked grand master trait. Which I don’t understand, why give me all traits in spvp by one? Not to mention Engineers bore the crap outta me. I hate the lack of weapon choice, and I really can’t stand that stupid hobo backpack with literally every kit. I don’t want a hobo satchel.

I have a warrior but don’t really play it because I don’t have any traits. The new trait system is without a doubt my most hated change in MMO video game history. I’m waiting patiently for account wide unlocks so I can play more then just my 3 grand fathered classes.