Idea for PvP in-world: Descent into Ruin

in PvP

Posted by: DDCarvalho.2071

DDCarvalho.2071

There is quite a lot of people that would like to experience PvP in world, but since all races and orders are friends or at least reluctant allies, that would not make sense lore-wise.
But there is one place when these alliances are the most fragile: Fields of Ruin.
My idea would be a Living World release that would make people (optionally) complete a series of missions or events that, on this map, would align them with the Separatists, Renegades or with the Alliance (which is the “default” faction the player is currently). After this alignment quest, the person would be put on a PvP copy of this map with different events and heart quests that reflect that status (like, a heart quest that helps separatists instead of the alliance).
In this context, a person on a faction would be able to attack people on the other factions, and there would be events that explicitly ask the person to do so (like, an event in which the Renegades attack the Separatists camp and the separatists defend).
Since this alignment quest would be optional, people that never completed it would still be in PvE map, and also, if people wanted to go back to a PvE map, they could make a “come back” quests that restores the supremacy of the Alliance on this map.
This alignment status would be character-bound (not account bound), so you could have a human separatist, a charr as renegade and another human as Alliance.
For lore reasons, humans would not be able to be renegades, and charr would not be able to be separatists. Other races could choose at will.
I can even envision some quests in which a mesmer NPC would disguise a charr as human to spy on the separatist camp while the separatists players on the camp could somehow weed out spies.
Now with MegaServers, that could be much easier to implement, because instead of maintaining 2 maps from the same region for each world, they could have only 2 maps to all worlds, one PvE and one PvP-aligned.
Really, MegaServers opens the opportunity to much bigger things, like a future in which you can work to see Orr restored and see that restoration in game, like new cities in there (while people that didn’t do such things see the original Orr until they complete this work).
What do you think?

in PvP

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

rather leave the pve maps alone and add something like GW1 faction warfare.

in PvP

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

There will never be PvP, in-world – period. A.net has already said the world and game was NOT designed for it and that is why there is a separate PvP area.

You want in-world PvP, well there are games for it. Most people, I would think, playing this game, knew that in-world PvP will not be done.

You should have researched this game better. A Quote from one of the game designers.

“The overall design for Guild Wars 2 does not support fully open world PvP and it would take a prohibitive amount of work to even make it possible. World versus world is our version of open world PvP, and while it isn’t ‘true’ open world PvP for more PvP purists, it does contain many of the elements that make world PvP so exciting. Hopefully it will mostly satisfy people that want open world PvP.” — Mike Ferguson

(edited by Dusty Moon.4382)

in PvP

DDCarvalho.2071

I am not a huge fan of PvP, I am just giving an idea of how PvP could be done in a lore-friendly, resource-friendly (now that we have MegaServers) and player-friendly way.
That still would be as optional as WvW, even more considering that WvW is not optional if you want world completion and the alignment quests would be optional (people would continue in a pure PvE map if they didn’t explicitly align).
Such negativity.
I expected a more useful feedback than “they said they will never do it, so leave it alone or leave the game”.
Something more constructive like “This would have unintended consequences for other maps that have separatists or renegades”.
But that would be expecting too much.

in PvP

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Unless it is impossible to trigger and complete these quests by those who aren’t aware that the quest is the one that triggers open world PvP, it is too open to people accidentally entering a game mode they do not wish to be in.

in PvP

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

I am not a huge fan of PvP, I am just giving an idea of how PvP could be done in a lore-friendly, resource-friendly (now that we have MegaServers) and player-friendly way.
That still would be as optional as WvW, even more considering that WvW is not optional if you want world completion and the alignment quests would be optional (people would continue in a pure PvE map if they didn’t explicitly align).
Such negativity.
I expected a more useful feedback than “they said they will never do it, so leave it alone or leave the game”.
Something more constructive like “This would have unintended consequences for other maps that have separatists or renegades”.
But that would be expecting too much.

Why do we have to say more? ‘THE GAME IS NOT DESIGNED FOR IT’ that is as plain as the nose on your face.

in PvP

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

This thread again, these threads have gone from weekly to daily.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

in PvP

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Imo one reason they will never put it in place is because they have put so much effort, time and money designing WvW. Any people who are getting their world PvP by going off to a separate map are people who aren’t doing WvW. To ANet and the people who play WvW and who want more people on their side so they can win, this is not a plus. Unless you can think up a way that won’t hurt WvW numbers, there is no reason for ANet to put it in a different type of world PvP.

in PvP

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

It’s actually an interesting idea that could be implemented via a pvp mode, for all the carebears that are scared of getting ganked.

in PvP

Posted by: Mongole.6485

Mongole.6485

i think OP’s idea is great, but only if you fight with pvp equipment, not legendaries and back protectors and so on… +1

Esrael
Guard/Necro

in PvP

DDCarvalho.2071

i think OP’s idea is great, but only if you fight with pvp equipment, not legendaries and back protectors and so on… +1

But there will not be PvP equipment anymore even in PvP… But to even it out, the PvP stats and skill rules could be used.
The MegaServers technology would allow for ArenaNet to keep there maps relatively balanced (like, keeping X people with each aligment per map), however that could disbalance with time because of the dynamic nature of the game (people enter the map, people get out, unless there are people being “suggested” to move to a more balanced map, it can get complicated.

Unless it is impossible to trigger and complete these quests by those who aren’t aware that the quest is the one that triggers open world PvP, it is too open to people accidentally entering a game mode they do not wish to be in.

I would make it that is harder to enter an aligment than to go back to neutral.
For example: to enter alignment, have to complete a hard group event, and then you are transported to PvP enabled map.
To exit, just have to ask forgiveness to Ebonhawke mayor, and then you are sent back to PvE -only map.
And I would make Ebonhawke guards “yellow” to Separatists and Renegades, so they will not attack aligned players on sight but will chew them up if provoked. This way, it would be very easy to go back to PvE.

Why do we have to say more? ‘THE GAME IS NOT DESIGNED FOR IT’ that is as plain as the nose on your face.

The game was not designed for a lot of things (PvP and PvE equipment being unified, for example). But good ideas may arise and changes are made. I would welcome more good ideas and constructive criticism than decrees about the “fundamental nature of the game”, since those are not constructive or useful.