**Idea to help "unlucky"" players climb**

in PvP

Posted by: Emdrix.6124

Emdrix.6124

If someone got truly unlucky placement matches, Im talking like going vs pro league players duo"s while having complete plebs in your team and end up at silver MMR or even bronze.

What they could is set up a win streak system to help them get out of scrub tier division. basically if you win 3 games in a row in a bronze-silver league you get a bonus +30 points then +40 for 4 wins +50 for 5 wins etc.

This would help good players to get out of scrub tier faster while the real scrubs will just keep losing and stay there.

I think this would be really good actually. So lets say a player gets crap placement matches ends up at 1k MMR and wins 20 games in a row.

He should get about 30 pts per game+ 200 bonus. that means he would be already at 1800 after just 20 games.

I think this would fix the whole whining on the forums about placement matches. because if you get unlucky you will still climb out if you are good.

in PvP

Posted by: Huskyboy.1053

Huskyboy.1053

Or they could just give a standard amount of points for wins and losses, instead of deducting more points for losses than they give for wins. There’s two conflicting ideas going on with the current MMR system: it’s supposed to be fair and allow people who are better than their current division to rise, but it’s also supposed to eventually help place people in matches where they’re evenly matched in relation to their teammates and opponents. This is based in the idea that people’s skill and level of performance are static, rather than taking into account changing skill levels throughout the season. The problem is that the system changes the amount of points given (reduces them) when it believes you’re climbing higher than you should be. Basically it’s an artificial barrier created to reduce upward mobility.

I don’t really see anything significant about a win streak, probably means the matches have been stacked slightly in the player’s favor for a few matches. But I do see an issue with giving fewer points the higher you rise, or with giving a tiny amount (like +8) for a win over an inferior team. Just don’t match us up with inferior teams. Or if that’s unavoidable, give people a standard number of points for the win so they get out of scrub division and don’t keep ending up fighting inferior opponents. It’s a stupid self-fulfilling prophecy: you get matched up against people worse than your team, you win and get potatoes for points, then you win again and get a few, then lose once and have the points from the last 3 wins erased. It keeps people down for a bad reason.

If people get up higher than they belong, they’ll end up losing more than they win, and overall lose points, thus pushing them down to a lower division. No need to deduct more points for losses than are given for wins. For example, if I get 20 points for a win and lose 20 points for a loss, if i have 1 win and 2 losses then overall I lost 20 points. So therefore I move down. It’s simple, there’s no logical reason to penalize losses more than wins are rewarded.

in PvP

Posted by: Rashy.4165

Rashy.4165

Or they could just give a standard amount of points for wins and losses, instead of deducting more points for losses than they give for wins.

This is only really possible in theory, and not practice. How much you gain or lose depends on your MMR relative to the opposing team’s MMR. There are other factors as well that changes from match to match, such as rating deviation (which is the uncertainty in a player’s skill rating). Pretty much any game that has a skill rating based on ELO or Glicko or whatever will work that way.

As for low rating gains at higher MMR, depending on how many games are played by then, the system is more sure about a player’s rating, so the changes are minimal, to avoid significantly overshooting a player’s skill rating.

That’s the short explanation. The long explanation involves analogies to control theory and vibrations.

in PvP

Posted by: Huskyboy.1053

Huskyboy.1053

Or they could just give a standard amount of points for wins and losses, instead of deducting more points for losses than they give for wins.

This is only really possible in theory, and not practice. How much you gain or lose depends on your MMR relative to the opposing team’s MMR. There are other factors as well that changes from match to match, such as rating deviation (which is the uncertainty in a player’s skill rating). Pretty much any game that has a skill rating based on ELO or Glicko or whatever will work that way.

As for low rating gains at higher MMR, depending on how many games are played by then, the system is more sure about a player’s rating, so the changes are minimal, to avoid significantly overshooting a player’s skill rating.

That’s the short explanation. The long explanation involves analogies to control theory and vibrations.

I think you’re talking about something different. I’m saying that they could give/take 10 points, or 20 points, or whatever, upon a win/loss. It’s possible in fact, not just theory. Just do it. It’s simple, much less complicated than the dynamic system they currently have.

in PvP

Posted by: Link.1049

Link.1049

At some point people should really realize that skill is only truly 1/5th of your placement. Go for the chests…get golds… let the try-hards gloat all they want for playing 10 matches and landing in the land promised to them while you win more games then them but get punished mmr-wise because ANET thinks you’re worthless. At least you can get more dye and stuff this season…and golds!

in PvP

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

People here always claim the system takes more away than it gives, but when I climbed out from the bottom of silver I generally got 5-10 more for a win than a loss. Right now it’s pretty even on average, sometimes I get less for a game, sometimes I get more. Same with losses. Usually varies between 10-15.