If You Want to Win...

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

Posted by: SobeSoul.6910

SobeSoul.6910

1) If you have someone on far 1vXing do not go help them if the other two points are not in your favor. This is bad. People on far are there to create mismatches elsewhere. Let them. Wipe the other two nodes. Profit. It is okay to rush far at start with someone else since 90% of the time you will find only 1 person there.

2) Quit playing squishies builds like their tanks. I don’t know how many mesmers, fresh air eles, thieves and rangers I have seen farmed in the past few days, but it is a lot. You are squishies, don’t put yourself in harm’s way and stay there.

3) Check your builds. There’s a lot of useless builds like condi mesmer, condi ele, and condi thief lately. These are pretty much troll builds. Condi mesmer especially. By the time you kill someone on Condi mesmer, regular shatter mesmer could have killed the person 10x as fast. Same with thief and ele. There are other classes that give people cancer far better.

4) Get off point before you are dead. It’s not necessary and just downright foolish to tank on point until you are dead. Kite if you can. Especially if you have team mates with you who can run on point.

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

4) Get off point before you are dead. It’s not necessary and just downright foolish to tank on point until you are dead. Kite if you can. Especially if you have team mates with you who can run on point.

Addendum: if you won’t be able to get away from the fight, hold the point as long as possible and DIE ON POINT so your opponents have to stomp you and can’t let you bleed out.

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

Posted by: Dredd Spirit Caller.4082

Dredd Spirit Caller.4082

Addendum: if you won’t be able to get away from the fight, hold the point as long as possible and DIE ON POINT so your opponents have to stomp you and can’t let you bleed out.

and dont fight out of a point every time it’s not courtyeard

Engy:Turrets Nade/HgH Kit Bunker Zerker
Necro:MMMesmer:pve omniRanger:SpiritsThief:P/P

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

Posted by: Lexiceta.4156

Lexiceta.4156

I am unsure how a 1v1 creates a mismatch, it creates a 4 v4

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Once neutralizing a point, don’t be afraid to run back to mid to help your teamates.
If you’re engaged, fight a little off point if it means you’ll survive longer while doing just as much damage. The time to neutralize a point is much quicker than the time to capture it. You can afford to be a fee seconds off point if it means your survival.

Bottleneck; create choke points on the map.
If you have a node, don’t sit on it unless the other team consistently backcaps the node with their thief. If you see a solo person, like a guardian for example, engage him early on and attack behind him. He’ll use what ever cds he has to survive and you’ll do massive amounts of damage before he gets there. Many will stop because you’ve forced them to fight off point. Those who don’t will either die before they reach your node or be too vulnerable to do any good.

Don’t engage a 1v2 fight if your team wiped.
By the time they kill you, the two people will have gained their health back and roam elsewhere to meeting your respawned teamates. Then your team will be out a man. That’s called getting out rotated; losing your rotation. Many complain they’ve 1v2’d and his team didn’t capture a single node in that period. Odds are your team was out rotated, engaging players one at a time and losing.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

I love it, when I’m 1v3 on far point for 3 mins, and after I die, I realize that my team didn’t cap even a single point and they call me a noob for going far.

Gold moments.

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Watch for what builds/people you are fighting imo, I’ve seen meta builds go down simply because the other team ran indie counter specs or they were in premade. Don’t forget conquest is about holding points. That’s why people swap chars..

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

3) Check your builds. There’s a lot of useless builds like condi mesmer, condi ele, and condi thief lately.

I disagree. Condi builds can be very viable and melt your opponents quickly if played right. They are just “not viable” in really high-end PvP, meaning when facing organized premade-teams in top 100 or so. That’s a small percentage. Everywhere else, condi-builds are perfectly viable.

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

3) Check your builds. There’s a lot of useless builds like condi mesmer, condi ele, and condi thief lately.

I disagree. Condi builds can be very viable and melt your opponents quickly if played right. They are just “not viable” in really high-end PvP, meaning when facing organized premade-teams in top 100 or so. That’s a small percentage. Everywhere else, condi-builds are perfectly viable.

I agree with this statement most are not ready for them anyway and expect hambows and celes so they bring the wrong counters,again people swap chars.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

Posted by: inhearth.2038

inhearth.2038

No, they’re not by the simply fact that you can down someone faster when you burst them than by just applying conditions.

You need to build up conditions on someone to kill him (duh), and if that person avoid some of the most important conditions or just cleanse them, it’s just time wasted being useless and not making any pressure.

On the other hand, power builds are more effective because you keep the pressure all the time with AAs and with some bursty skills (Shatter, Backstab, Fresh Air, Med Guards everywhere), and you can’t just cleanse direct damage or bursts~

Just imagine a team fight, where some class with cond spec is trying to kill a key target, and in the same team there is someone running some burst spec and trying to kill the same target, who will kill the target first? Even in a 2×2 or 1×1 bursts are more effective than conditions because you can delete someone faster by landing a good burst than taking time to build up conditions.

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

Posted by: Kreed.2768

Kreed.2768

Here’s one I see a lot of people doing:

Wiping on the same point nonstop.
I’ve seen people push a point with three or even four of our team (usually mid or close) and wipe completely. Then, on respawn, they head right back to that point and die again. And again. Aaaaand again. Often they trickle in one by one, creating this shooting galery situation for the opposite team, as the respawned player will come onto a point and be instagibbed because he’s up against three other players and his allies are either downed, dead or smart enough to have gone to a point less occupied by opponents.

And…

Pushing the third point when you already have the other two.
Mostly when you just wiped the enemy team. I’ve seen complete reserversals just because 2-3 of my team thought it would be a good idea to push far after we just wiped most, if not all, of the enemy team on mid or close. A fast decap and retreat is fine, but they just stay there and then get wiped in a 4/5 vs 2/3, leaving a big opening for the enemy team to at least retake mid without much trouble, since now my team is the one with 2/3 people waiting for respawn. Basically being too greedy can lose you the advantage you had.

Lover of longbow rangers.
Party Hard in GW2!
My YouTube Channel!

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

SobeSoul.6910

Look at what people are playing.

DD ele obviously has more than enough condition clear. Shoutbow check. S/F ele check. Terrormancer should be fine in most cases. Engies not so much.

With builds like condi mesmer on my engie I can just kite away from them if I have to and they can’t do anything.

If you play builds because noobs die to them then you need to rethink what you are actually doing.

Not to say all condi builds on all classes are bad. Obviously burnguard, condi engie, condi rangers are all very strong 1v1ers.

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

Saturn.6591

No, they’re not by the simply fact that you can down someone faster when you burst them than by just applying conditions.

That really depends imo. There’s this thing called condi-burst. And while I can condiburst and then uphold a solid dps with condis afterwards, many burst-builds are on cooldown once their initial burst is gone.

You need to build up conditions on someone to kill him (duh), and if that person avoid some of the most important conditions or just cleanse them, it’s just time wasted being useless and not making any pressure.

Most can’t cleanse everything all the time. And if you can avoid “some of the most important condis”, you can also avoid one single burst. The difference is, after a powerburst, your opponent often has a lot of stuff on cooldown. After a condi-burst, you’re still getting loaded up with a lot more condis.

On the other hand, power builds are more effective because you keep the pressure all the time with AAs and with some bursty skills (Shatter, Backstab, Fresh Air, Med Guards everywhere), and you can’t just cleanse direct damage or bursts~

Yes, you can’t cleanse bursts. But you can dodge them and then they’re wasted. Good luck with dodging a steady flow of condis. Most players can’t handle that for very long.

Just imagine a team fight, where some class with cond spec is trying to kill a key target, and in the same team there is someone running some burst spec and trying to kill the same target, who will kill the target first? Even in a 2×2 or 1×1 bursts are more effective than conditions because you can delete someone faster by landing a good burst than taking time to build up conditions.

If the first burst is dodged, I’m probably faster with condis. Not to mention that if you want to burst, you are very glassy yourself and might die yourself before you get another chance to burst.

DD ele obviously has more than enough condition clear. Shoutbow check. S/F ele check. Terrormancer should be fine in most cases. Engies not so much.

Burst condis after DD Ele switched out of water attunement. Shoutbow dunno; didn’t see many of those… or maybe I did, but Warriors are totally beatable. Unless they use their GS to run away, but that’s more an issue in WvW than it is in PvP. S/F Ele might be a problem if they jump me. Then again, the same is even more true for a glassy build. Not like I’d actually have seen many S/F-eles, though. Terrormancer… well, I’ll give you that one. If they are at least decent, that is. Engies… again, depends on skill. Ranges from easy kill to unbeatable, but I daresay it’s easier with a condibuild than with a powerbuild.

With builds like condi mesmer on my engie I can just kite away from them if I have to and they can’t do anything.

This works for the Condi Mesmer as well. As long as you kite away, you are not on point. If you attack from far, the Mesmer could do the same or just kite in the opposite direction… and if you return to the point, the Mesmer can do so as well and you’re in close range again.

If you play builds because noobs die to them then you need to rethink what you are actually doing.

Well, if everyone who’s not in one of the top teams is a noob, then I don’t mind, really.

Not to say all condi builds on all classes are bad. Obviously burnguard, condi engie, condi rangers are all very strong 1v1ers.

Funny that you mention burnguard, when condi-builds on Guardians used to be considered ridiculously bad for like, years. Guess that changed. But tell me… if Guardians with one single condition are that great, why is a condi Mesmer or a condi-Thief bad in comparison? Both can stack many more conditions, and that quite quickly. Mesmers even have burning too.

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

SobeSoul.6910

Problem with condi mesmer is mesmer is someone who takes nodes, not defends them, or that’s how it should work.

Burnguard has more than one condition when you factor in sigils and it is quite hard to keep burning cleared. Unlike condi thief a guardian can stand on point and tank. Stealth mechanics on mesmer and thief make them easier to decap. Thief especially is not exactly tanky with carrion or rabid, so they’re not hard to kill. At the end of the day shatter mesmer and power thieves do the job better.

Those two builds just aren’t winning formulas.

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

Saturn.6591

Problem with condi mesmer is mesmer is someone who takes nodes, not defends them, or that’s how it should work.

Burnguard has more than one condition when you factor in sigils and it is quite hard to keep burning cleared. Unlike condi thief a guardian can stand on point and tank. Stealth mechanics on mesmer and thief make them easier to decap. Thief especially is not exactly tanky with carrion or rabid, so they’re not hard to kill. At the end of the day shatter mesmer and power thieves do the job better.

Those two builds just aren’t winning formulas.

Hm well, with condi shatter Mesmer, my only stealth is torch 4, which I mainly use if I need to get away or in group-fights (to alleviate pressure or to hide certain skill-animations). I would also say that I win most of my 1vs1, so I often take nodes that are defended by a single opponent. Thus, I can also take nodes, just like power-shatter. I also often can occupy 2 (sometime 3 if they are really bad) opponents for a while (I doubt that a glassy shatter can do that). I dunno, but I feel like condishatter brings much more to the table than power-shatter if you play more casually (meaning not planning to go and win the big tournaments). Power-shatter can be great and really shine, but they are more dependent on a team that knows how to support them. IF, and only IF that’s the case, they probably are indeed the more viable option.

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

SobeSoul.6910

I agree with you it is a strong 1v1 build. If spvp wasn’t conquest mode I would think of it as a viable build. However, from my experience fighting condi mesmers on ele, engie and some other classes, I can keep the fight going long enough for a player to rotate to me if I don’t outright win the fight, or I have enough time to rotate out and +1 mid or go to far to decap.

Conquest is one of those things you gotta learn that time is your biggest enemy. A lot of players I see don’t “get it”. I’ve been guilty of fighting bunker classes when I could have spent my time more efficiently elsewhere. A lot of the big condi damage on condi mesmer depends on if you’re opponent is good or bad. Good players aren’t gonna really mash all their keys and run around wildly if they have 5+ stacks of confusion and/or torment on them. Whereas a well timed and executed shatter from a power mesmer isn’t dependent on how good the other player is. Good players might not eat shatters as often as mediocre or bad ones, but sometimes it isn’t avoidable.

Not telling you don’t play condi mesmer btw. Just letting you know why it isn’t considered ‘optimal’.

(edited by SobeSoul.6910)

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Umm… If your team is unable to win a team fight, 2v2, 3v3, etc, don’t play for 3 points and get killed across the map.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

I personally don’t think rushing far with one or two with five random strangers is hardly ever a good thing to do because if somebody decent is capping home they can probably hold off two complete strangers for a minute or two which will be enough for the other team to take home and middle unless they are horrible in which case anything will work against them. Far point rushing just smacks of trickery to me and trying to win without winning even fights. You can’t trick good players you have to win even fights first against them to force the uneven.

(edited by brannigan.9831)

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

SobeSoul.6910

Umm… If your team is unable to win a team fight, 2v2, 3v3, etc, don’t play for 3 points and get killed across the map.

This is illogical.

If you team can’t win a 3v3 then they are most likely not winning a 4v4. Your only hope is forcing the other team to have better rotations.

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

Posted by: hackks.3687

hackks.3687

If you want to win at PvP:

1.) Never pick a fair fight
2.) Never try to match an opponent strength for strength
3.) Never expect your teammates to read your mind
4.) Never take unnecessary risks
5.) Never sacrifice a teammate unless it means killing 2 opponents
6.) Never forget your playing Conquest and not Deathmatch
7.) Never give your opponents a free run at your capture point
8.) Never have more than one person on the point
9.) Never limit your actions to standing on a point
10.) Never let your opponents escape nearly-dead
11.) Never play outside your role
12.) Never rotate away from fights that leave your teammates in any position of the previously stated
13.) Never bring your notions of “honor” into a fight
14.) Never play your opponent’s game, always play your own
15.) Never assume the game is over until it’s actually over

I could go on, but that seems like a good start

Hackkz/Riggamaroll
I’ve stayed at this party entirely too long

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

Saturn.6591

Not telling you don’t play condi mesmer btw. Just letting you know why it isn’t considered ‘optimal’.

Well, thanks.

^^

Uhm, following scenario: You fight 1vs1 to cap a point. Your opponent is nearly dead, but manages to start running away (GS-Warrior, Ele with Mistform or whatever)… you can try to chase and kill, or actually cap the point. What will you chose to do?

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

SobeSoul.6910

Well, thanks.

^^

Uhm, following scenario: You fight 1vs1 to cap a point. Your opponent is nearly dead, but manages to start running away (GS-Warrior, Ele with Mistform or whatever)… you can try to chase and kill, or actually cap the point. What will you chose to do?

Situation depends on multiple variables.

1) How many caps do you already have?
2) Do you have gap closers ready?
3) Is there someone on your mini map nearby likely to cut off the escapee?
4) Are you going ham af yolo style?

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

hackks.3687

Well, thanks.

^^

Against a high mobility and high sustain class I would take the point, but you could argue that those two classes aren’t truly close to death in a 1v1 due to their ability to escape and regen health. That’s exactly what their build is designed for.

The point I was trying to make is to not let your opponent “reset and try again” while you try to cap the point. If you have an opportunity to finish a fight, you should take it – you’ll get the point as well anyways.

As well, if you’re 1v1ing you should be decapping the point at the very least during the 1v1 otherwise you’re wasting time, and as long as it’s decapped and within your capability to do so, you should take your opponent off the map. That way he can’t +1 another fight, or come back and kill you while your short on CDs.

Material advantage (teammates) in GW2 is the most effective way to win fights, which win you points, which win you matches.

Hackkz/Riggamaroll

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

Saturn.6591

Thanks; that makes sense.

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

SobeSoul.6910

Well, thanks.

^^

Against a high mobility and high sustain class I would take the point, but you could argue that those two classes aren’t truly close to death in a 1v1 due to their ability to escape and regen health. That’s exactly what their build is designed for.

The point I was trying to make is to not let your opponent “reset and try again” while you try to cap the point. If you have an opportunity to finish a fight, you should take it – you’ll get the point as well anyways.

As well, if you’re 1v1ing you should be decapping the point at the very least during the 1v1 otherwise you’re wasting time, and as long as it’s decapped and within your capability to do so, you should take your opponent off the map. That way he can’t +1 another fight, or come back and kill you while your short on CDs.

Material advantage (teammates) in GW2 is the most effective way to win fights, which win you points, which win you matches.

It depends on what’s going on with the map.

Lets say you are at far. The team fight is going on in middle. One of your allies has been erased from the map. You shouldn’t chase then. It’s not uncommon for someone to have started to rotate to their home in those scenarios.

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

hackks.3687

Well, thanks.

^^

Lets say you are at far. The team fight is going on in middle. One of your allies has been erased from the map. You shouldn’t chase then. It’s not uncommon for someone to have started to rotate to their home in those scenarios.

I would argue that in that case you most certainly should chase, since your team is already down a player and that opponent rotating away is about to add +1 more to that fight which will likely result in a team wipe that gets snowballed back to their home – killing you – and likely back to your home point as well. Net result is a 3 cap against you and puts your team in a situation where they have to win the next engagement just to get out the hole you just dug.

The smart move is to take the decap at far as a win, and move back to mid keeping your foe in combat and using CDs so that he’s likely an easy kill when he gets to the team fight at mid and you can rebalance the numbers of the engagement.

Like I said, material advantages are the easiest and more effective way to win a fight. Staying to cap gives your opponents that material advantage on the other two points in which case capping a single point nets your team virtually nothing. It’s just a poor exchange that costs your team a wipe. Not to mention the other team is likely headed straight towards you at their home and will outnumber you easily as well, so you won’t retain the point anyways.

That is a prime example of how people misprioritize far point engagements.

Hackkz/Riggamaroll

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

SobeSoul.6910

Well, thanks.

^^

I would argue that in that case you most certainly should chase, since your team is already down a player and that opponent rotating away is about to add +1 more to that fight which will likely result in a team wipe that gets snowballed back to their home – killing you – and likely back to your home point as well. Net result is a 3 cap against you and puts your team in a situation where they have to win the next engagement just to get out the hole you just dug.

The smart move is to take the decap at far as a win, and move back to mid keeping your foe in combat and using CDs so that he’s likely an easy kill when he gets to the team fight at mid and you can rebalance the numbers of the engagement.

Like I said, material advantages are the easiest and more effective way to win a fight. Staying to cap gives your opponents that material advantage on the other two points in which case capping a single point nets your team virtually nothing. It’s just a poor exchange that costs your team a wipe. Not to mention the other team is likely headed straight towards you at their home and will outnumber you easily as well, so you won’t retain the point anyways.

It still is dependent on certain variables. You have to read the map or at least be aware of what’s going on with your team since you’re not on voice comms if solo queueing.

1) Do you have CDs to chase and perhaps take a 1v2?
2) What does your team’s hp pool look like on your bar?

Not saying it’s always incorrect to chase, rather sometimes it’s better to stay put and let your CDs come back instead of Rambo’ing into a bad situation.

And I think you have a slight misconception about taking far point. I have won a large number of games by occupying multiple opponents on their home for a length of time where my team can overrun other parts of the map. Some builds don’t allow me to do that. I certainly wouldn’t try it on my thief since I will die outnumbered a percentage of the time where that sort of stunt isn’t worth it.

(edited by SobeSoul.6910)

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

hackks.3687

Well, thanks.

^^

It still is dependent on certain variables. You have to read the map or at least be aware of what’s going on with your team since you’re not on voice comms if solo queueing.

1) Do you have CDs to chase and perhaps take a 1v2?
2) What does your team’s hp pool look like on your bar?

Not saying it’s always incorrect to chase, rather sometimes it’s better to stay put and let your CDs come back instead of Rambo’ing into a bad situation.

And I think you have a slight misconception about taking far point. I have won a large number of games by occupying multiple opponents on their home for a length of time where my team can overrun other parts of the map. Some builds don’t allow me to do that. I certainly wouldn’t try it on my thief since I will die outnumbered a percentage of the time where that sort of stunt isn’t worth it.

1.) It’s more about whether your team is in a position to make use of the material advantage your trying create for them on the other points while you 1v2.

2.) If you’re team got destroyed while you were elsewhere then there’s bigger problems in play and it’s likely you shouldn’t have been 1v1ing at far point in the first place.

And to be fair you could change the criteria endlessly and come up with different decisions. Regardless, creating material advantage is key in almost all situations.

Hackkz/Riggamaroll

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

SobeSoul.6910

Your decisions should never be static. They should come from what’s going on in that particular match at that particular time.

There’s no ABC winning formula like the 3-2 home and mid split if people cannot win team fights. If your team can’t win fights and you’re playing a 1v1 build then it isn’t in your interests to push into fights, you’re likely to just go to respawn with them. If you’re playing shoutbow or DD ele then it may be in your best interests to push into fights and be a crutch that your team needs.

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

At the OP.

Condi specs may not kill people quite as fast as zerk specs however they do provide quite a bit of pressure & are the bane of high toughness specs.

So while I do not have much experience playing mesmer or ele I can say for certain that a venom share thief while not meta can be quite effective when used in a team play scenario

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

Posted by: Dredd Spirit Caller.4082

Dredd Spirit Caller.4082

Well, thanks.

^^

cap the point if u cant follow GS war, ele, thief or whatever run faster than u

Engy:Turrets Nade/HgH Kit Bunker Zerker
Necro:MMMesmer:pve omniRanger:SpiritsThief:P/P

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

This is illogical.

If you team can’t win a 3v3 then they are most likely not winning a 4v4. Your only hope is forcing the other team to have better rotations.

Not really, the reason for most small encounter failure is not mechanical skill but counter comp and spreading your force out when you have a better chance to focus fire a troublesome player is a bad idea. To illustrate this point, an ele trying to hold close backed up by a thief getting stranded by the enemy shatter mesmer and power ranger. The r espawned war and guard instead of plus two the fight went to mid to attempt a decap from a power necro. After killing off the thief and the ele at home, enemy mesmer and ranger snowballed to mid. Meanwhile, the fifth mesmer tries to get a decap at far by 1v1 the enemy shoutbow warrior. It lasts for eternity and he can’t get a decap, and eventually gets plus one and dies. Playing three points needs a good communication and rotation as well. Insisting on playing three points when losing team fight across the map is just dumb. Team fight >> point.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

If You Want to Win...

in PvP

SobeSoul.6910

You need to rethink the scenario you wrote.

I know if a mesmer pushes far and keeps a shoutbow there instead of at mid in a 3v3 fight I’m happy.