If the devs don't play spvp why should we?

in PvP

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

I play, but not with my tag on. ~1200 games (50% of them rated): ~700 warrior, ~200 necro, ~200 engy. I consider myself in the “competative casual” category.

That means a bit more than 2 games a day since release, which to me is casual and has nothing to do with competitive. Especially due to the reason soloq doesn’t proove points for balancing.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

I play, but not with my tag on. ~1200 games (50% of them rated): ~700 warrior, ~200 necro, ~200 engy. I consider myself in the “competative casual” category.

That means a bit more than 2 games a day since release, which to me is casual and has nothing to do with competitive. Especially due to the reason soloq doesn’t proove points for balancing.

Competitive casual is the gamer archetype I put myself in, not a judgement of numbers. To me it represents how I prefer structured matches and winning, but don’t go out of my way to become the best. I don’t claim to know how to best balance the game, I leave that up to the balance team :P I still love to play our game though.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.5027

Pyriall.5027

Competitive casual is the gamer archetype I put myself in, not a judgement of numbers. To me it represents how I prefer structured matches and winning, but don’t go out of my way to become the best. I don’t claim to know how to best balance the game, I leave that up to the balance team :P I still love to play our game though.

Who is on the balance team? And do they even lift…I mean pvp bro?

in PvP

Posted by: eleshazar.6902

eleshazar.6902

Who is on the balance team? And do they even lift…I mean pvp bro?

I was actually just about to post this myself. I don’t think the balance team knows this game that well (or at least where the current balance lies). We still remember the infamous time that it took them 45 seconds to find one guardian skill (purging flames which is one of the most used guardian skills) during their livestream. Reason why they think guards and warriors are equal I guess: they don’t know guardian.

All professions level 80| Champion Paragon, Phantom, Genius
Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] | Rank 80

in PvP

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

Allie Murdock Rank 11.

pvp is doomed.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

in PvP

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

You don’t need to play several thousand hours of something to understand the finer points of balancing it. What you need is the right mindset, you need to play it “enough” to get a feel for the flow of a game and the flow of combat, and you need to at a minimum know all of the top-level points of every playable class. That means you need to hear the name “Pin Down” and know at a minimum what class and weapon set it’s on, but you don’t need to have the numbers for it memorized. There is also of course the need for the balancing numerical mindset, which boils down to knowing what “feels right” a lot of the time.

Healing Signet, for instance, should not be nerfed into oblivion. If it is nerfed more than 8%, it will never actually see play because it will be numerically inferior to other options in HPS. What needs to happen to Healing Signet is for its active to become something noteworthy enough that using it becomes a tactical play of significance for all combatants involved. It needs more play than it has now, which may justify either a further than 8% nerf, or some other treatment.

I think the balance team certainly plays the game enough, but the problem is rooted in trying to force all manners of the game to be the same. They really want PvP to be accessible to PvE players and vice versa, and this is what results in things like condition damage being overpowered in PvP but worthless at large in PvE. Coming to terms with the core differences in both the enemy types faced and the manner in which something is successful in both is critical, and actually acting on that could bring both realms into a healthy balance. I think that is the primary thing holding them back right now.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

(edited by Rising Dusk.2408)

in PvP

Posted by: jebro.6370

jebro.6370

Hoping that people who made and contributed to this thread watched the dev match last night :P

Because they kicked some kitten and not all with those meta builds guys

in PvP

Posted by: TheDevice.2751

TheDevice.2751

Can’t help loving this game ;/

Watch us play at 2 today!

Can you show some footage?

Where are you getting the stability on your necro? I can’t go in a game without getting ping-ponged by an engineer/warrior/mesmer/ etc anything….

Footage maybe?

edit: even a build would be nice

in PvP

Posted by: Datsuni.4678

Datsuni.4678

So if the devs play and enjoy the pvp part so much, then why does it take 5 months to do minor balance changes? Meanwhile pumping out boring pve content every 2 weeks? Why did you market this game as a pvp game if you never intended on truly supporting the pvp aspect?

Also why is the production value of your readyupshow on a lvl of 15 year old kids producing seriously in a schoolplay?

This game is enjoyable to play but super boring in the long run. And it seems that devs arent really doing anything to change it. Or maybe they are but the results just arent there.

in PvP

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

I don’t think I’ve ever seen any devs playing in the lower numbers of those leader-boards, in fact I’ve only seen them in organized teams playing with other top players. Maybe I’ve just never been lucky enough to see them on my way up to top 100, but if so, I wonder how this affects their understanding of what it’s like for new players trying to get into tpvp.

(edited by J Eberle.9312)

in PvP

Posted by: ens.9854

ens.9854

C’mon anet don’t feed the trolls. Just encouraging these kinds of sensationalist posts to get responses

in PvP

Posted by: Phi Is Sly.1857

Phi Is Sly.1857

I joined SPVP after months, i had fun for 2 matches. Then Perma eva sin, nope cant hit at all, Conidtion warrior Damge ticking 4k a tick o.O and its ranged!. Goes to another point eng just KDing me all over spilting relatenless conidtions. LOGS offf gw2 goes to play another balanced game.

in PvP

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

C’mon anet don’t feed the trolls. Just encouraging these kinds of sensationalist posts to get responses

But they have to respond to some posts on these forums…. or people would rage that they don’t care anymore.
and if they respond to legitimate issues, the most they can say is “we are talking/testing/working on it internally”… so people will rage more.

Which leaves responding to troll posts.
Anet can only give more than maybes and on the horizons to troll posts like ‘do you even care?’
Anet wants to give more than maybes and on the horizons.
Anet wants to respond to troll posts.

in PvP

Posted by: Pixels.6532

Pixels.6532

The Devs don’t dance

what i think everytime i read this thread…

Sanctum of Rall

in PvP

Posted by: Amstel Steel.2058

Amstel Steel.2058

It’s like… why go to a chinese restaurant that chinese people don’t go to?

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/153272/city-wok-deal

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

What do you guys take from your occasional moments in sPvP however ? Which metrics ? Which impressions ? Any recent examples ?

I love the game, but I have many of the same complaints as any of the other players on the forum. I was getting trolled pretty hard by Hugh the other day… hambow is pretty OP, has nothing to do with him being better than me.

You playing warrior? or sin?

I play lock-down mesmer and a Teldo engineer build, in that order.

I make it a self rule to try and avoid meta. Not play a condi war, not play hambow, and still try and play to my full potential.

How do you measure your metrics for builds that seem overpowered or overly-prevalent? (not you directly, but the pvp team) without harming diversity among builds. Since Longbow got hit (and will be hit YET AGAIN) my build will be slightly nerfed simply because I use a longbow, not because I run hambow.

More careful analysis needs to be made on the synergy between skills, mechanics and their overall effectiveness spread across a wide margin of combinations, not just the current “flavor of the month”

I heard that knee-jerk balancing isn’t on the table, but it definitely seems to be making a pass under the table in some of these recent patches

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in PvP

Posted by: KarsaiB.9475

KarsaiB.9475

From a personnal perspective, a balance developper should put more time into playing the game he’s being paid to balance more than actually trying to fix it. Being the ones that put ideas into perspective and have the hand on the executive part you are supposed to know every facette of the game as well as being able to clearly identify issues and fix them in a matter of days.

Not that I really care anymore, I enjoy playing with the people I play with more than the actual content, especially when there’re prizes on the line. Although I’ve sunk more than 5k hours and a couple of hundreds into this game, it’s now more fun for me than constructive to just wash out my mouth with acid and spit all over the place. You don’t deserve anyone’s trust anymore, although I hope you prove all of us wrong in the future. But you know what, keep on working on living story 2 weeks long content if that’s the only to keep your job coz you kittened up so hard that no one would keep on playing the game if pvp was actually your main focus.

55 HP Monks // Random scrubadub

in PvP

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

What do you guys take from your occasional moments in sPvP however ? Which metrics ? Which impressions ? Any recent examples ?

I love the game, but I have many of the same complaints as any of the other players on the forum. I was getting trolled pretty hard by Hugh the other day… hambow is pretty OP, has nothing to do with him being better than me.

You playing warrior? or sin?

I play lock-down mesmer and a Teldo engineer build, in that order.

l2p? just kidding!

I think it would be innovative and great for pr if you aneters had a dev team vs dev team tournament and showed it on twitch. I’m sure y’all can muster up 10 teams and do best out of 3 elimination matches. Also, you could have a 1v1 against Hugh (not on hambow) so you can prove that it has nothing to do with him being better than you.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

in PvP

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

Has anyone ever seen Jonathan Sharp (head balance developer??) play pvp?

Ranger//Necro

in PvP

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

I try to dabble.

Edit: In before Powerr comes in and makes us all look bad.

Edit2: For the record, almost all of those QP are from when it went to 1 QP a win. =p

Can’t help loving this game ;/

Watch us play at 2 today!

Why don’t your tournament wins add up? Do matches from before solo arena was added not count as team arena?

Also how do you guys feel about the huge reward gap between solo and team arenas?

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson