If you think SPvP sucks...

in PvP

Posted by: Babypuke.2907

Babypuke.2907

You’re just not thinking.

This is a class based game. Meaning that 1v1 balance is utterly impossible without complete homogenization (in which case the only point in changing classes would be for different animations or looks, which is boring).

When you are thinking balance, you MUST think team-play.

SOLUTION:
Right now, tournament SPvP is 5v5, on maps which have 3-nodes PLUS another point of interest. The problem here is that in order to really have map control in this map style you must spread your forces out to be able to scout and handle issues (which good teams WILL do). But if you’re spreading 5 players out then you’re risking smaller scale fights of 1v1 and 2v2 (so it’s not usually going to be an actual 5v5 combat). Traditionally speaking you want at LEAST 3v3 in a class-based MMO in order for group utilities to be well enough rounded for team fights to be balanced in terms of skill being able to trump build/class/comp etc.

The only thing I can think of here is for arenanet to quickly put out a few new maps designed for something inbetween 3v3-5v5 so that small groups can still play together in a more balanced environment. But these maps would have to be smaller and have less spread. Or they could simply be team-deathmatch maps like GW1, which would keep the team close and playing together WHILE preserving balance.

As for the existing maps they would need to be something like 8v8-10v10 in tournament mode similar to regular queues to be balanced.

ALSO:
THIS IS AN INFANT MMO. There are BOUND to be a couple of blatant balance issues (see thieves). But you MUST also learn to accept the fact that much of the reason WHY you are losing battles is because you simply do not always understand the enemy or their build, so you may not even know what’s being done to you. This is a matter of pure ignorance, and a personal issue that will persist in ANY game that has an ounce of complexity to it.

Guardians for example, they may be a little too strong in terms of defense but you CAN chain CC and kill a good guardian. And since they’re built as TANKS it would be naive to think that killing them is the only option. Maybe the design intent is that you simply use positional CCs (wards, grips or knockbacks in conjunction with follow up slows, stuns or roots) to PULL or PUSH them off the nodes in order to cap them. Then afterwards just leave 1-2 players to sit on the node so that the guardian cannot re-cap, forcing him to waste his time.

So while he’s choosing to play as a tank you’re choosing to circumvent the issue by capping OTHER nodes or using control mechanics to capture the point without having to kill him.

USE. YOUR. HEAD.

I’ve said multiple times that going from WoW (or a WoW clone) to GW2 is like going from Skyrim to Dark Souls. There is a learning curve, but it’s in the best interests of the game for the long-term, and it WILL improve. Keep in mind that there is not a better PvP-MMO alternative on the market right now in terms of competitive support.

Ask not what balance can do for you, but what you can do for balance…

EDIT: I will say as someone who plays mesmer that shifting some of mesmer’s power to the actual abilities and away from the idea that it’s impossible to distinguish the mesmer from the clones (assuming he is acting like the clone AI) would be a great step forward for balance.

(edited by Babypuke.2907)

in PvP

Posted by: Cybrax.1397

Cybrax.1397

this game uses no match making whatsoever, this alone makes the pvp suck. People play pvp for a challenge and fair fight with the current state of pvp in this game this doesn’t exist.

in PvP

Posted by: Derps.7421

Derps.7421

Yah I didn’t read any of that I’m just here to say kitten

Dr. Professor Evil – Engi
Stunned Girls Can’t Say No <Hawt>

in PvP

Posted by: Arheundel.6451

Arheundel.6451

You’re just not thinking.

This is a class based game. Meaning that 1v1 balance is utterly impossible without complete homogenization (in which case the only point in changing classes would be for different animations or looks, which is boring).

When you are thinking balance, you MUST think team-play.

SOLUTION:
Right now, tournament SPvP is 5v5, on maps which have 3-nodes PLUS another point of interest. The problem here is that in order to really have map control in this map style you must spread your forces out to be able to scout and handle issues (which good teams WILL do). But if you’re spreading 5 players out then you’re risking smaller scale fights of 1v1 and 2v2 (so it’s not usually going to be an actual 5v5 combat). Traditionally speaking you want at LEAST 3v3 in a class-based MMO in order for group utilities to be well enough rounded for team fights to be balanced in terms of skill being able to trump build/class/comp etc.

The only thing I can think of here is for arenanet to quickly put out a few new maps designed for something inbetween 3v3-5v5 so that small groups can still play together in a more balanced environment. But these maps would have to be smaller and have less spread. Or they could simply be team-deathmatch maps like GW1, which would keep the team close and playing together WHILE preserving balance.

As for the existing maps they would need to be something like 8v8-10v10 in tournament mode similar to regular queues to be balanced.

ALSO:
THIS IS AN INFANT MMO. There are BOUND to be a couple of blatant balance issues (see thieves). But you MUST also learn to accept the fact that much of the reason WHY you are losing battles is because you simply do not always understand the enemy or their build, so you may not even know what’s being done to you. This is a matter of pure ignorance, and a personal issue that will persist in ANY game that has an ounce of complexity to it.

Guardians for example, they may be a little too strong in terms of defense but you CAN chain CC and kill a good guardian. And since they’re built as TANKS it would be naive to think that killing them is the only option. Maybe the design intent is that you simply use positional CCs (wards, grips or knockbacks in conjunction with follow up slows, stuns or roots) to PULL or PUSH them off the nodes in order to cap them. Then afterwards just leave 1-2 players to sit on the node so that the guardian cannot re-cap, forcing him to waste his time.

So while he’s choosing to play as a tank you’re choosing to circumvent the issue by capping OTHER nodes or using control mechanics to capture the point without having to kill him.

USE. YOUR. HEAD.

I’ve said multiple times that going from WoW (or a WoW clone) to GW2 is like going from Skyrim to Dark Souls. There is a learning curve, but it’s in the best interests of the game for the long-term, and it WILL improve. Keep in mind that there is not a better PvP-MMO alternative on the market right now in terms of competitive support.

Ask not what balance can do for you, but what you can do for balance…

EDIT: I will say as someone who plays mesmer that shifting some of mesmer’s power to the actual abilities and away from the idea that it’s impossible to distinguish the mesmer from the clones (assuming he is acting like the clone AI) would be a great step forward for balance.

Give me a break!

You play a mesmer and tell others that this is a team-play game, get the hell outta here!

Right now tPvP teams are 2xguardian-2xmesmer-thief and you try to tell me I don’t know how to counter these profession builds?…yeah the reason why every team in tournament is running double mesmer or double guardian is because you can easily counter them…

So if a guardian defending a node you go cap another?! Great kitten idea! Have you actually played any tournament? Teams these days run with 2-3 point holders so wth can you cap?

If you want to chain CC on a single guardian you’ll need at least 3 people..so shall I send my dog to cap other nodes against the 4 other opponents?…

Pls stop talking rubbish man…

in PvP

Posted by: Gankfest.4965

Gankfest.4965

I read the first line and saw the problem…

Gankfest™ ~ <PRX> ~ JQ
80 ~ Thief/Guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Babypuke.2907

Babypuke.2907

Cybrax matchmaking is on it’s way. It would be naive to assume that arenanet has zero plans for adding it. Even freaking SWTOR added it fairly quickly after launch. If we’re vocal about it I promise you they’ll bring it, you’re not dealing with Blizzard here.

As for anyone who didn’t read the post or only read part of it. Thanks for proving my point about why you suck at this game and can’t therefore enjoy it. Stick to your WoW clones, they suit you better.

@Arheundel: You know how stupid it makes you look when you leap to blind assumptions?? All I said was that mesmer is ONE of the classes I play, but THANKFULLY GW2 allows us to sPvP RIGHT from level 1 so you can play ALL THE CLASSES AT MAX LEVEL IF YOU LIKE!! Pretty awesome right? Warrior is actually the main class that I’ve been focusing on. And I fking poop on kids with it by the way. Have fun trying to discredit that ^statement without a matchmaking system (another good reason to stop jumping to conclusions).

I’ll be patiently awaiting your response about how warriors are super overpowered (since you’ve already said that mesmers, theives and guardians are broken… why not just make it an even number?? Because anyone who isn’t you needs to be nerfed right nerd?).

I can tell that you didn’t read my solution to the first issue, or at least lack the comprehension to understand it, because it’s true no if ands or buts and will always be true in any class based MMO assuming the relative power of one classes abilities are kept in check. What YOU want is better UI support for locating the true mesmer.

(edited by Babypuke.2907)

in PvP

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

kitten balanced environment. Small scale fights is the pinnacle of skill.

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

I gotta admit, I didn’t read any of this either.
Tired of people trying to tell me how to play this game.
All you need to know is, if your getting owned, that’s why your losing. You being owned is 20% determent to the team, makes pretty big impact of losing or winning the game. If your owning, than obviously you will lose some games but you will be more than likely to win more games than others.

I don’t need somebody yelling at me because I’m off node fighting. If I’m owning people off the node than I’m doing work, its your fault you cant handle your own self against the other people. If I’m beating up somebody I’m contributing, it don’t matter where its at. If you overly concerned about nodes than you go cap and win your own 1v1 or team fights. If I’m winning all my fights but your losing yours obviously you threw the game and not me.
I just recently found that good players will give up the node rather than hold it to death, if it means giving it up so you can win the 1v1 over losing the 1v1 but holding it, I’d give it up and let them neut and finish them anytime over holding it and dying.

(edited by uberkingkong.8041)

in PvP

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

Pretty sure the thread about meowing made more sense than this one

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

in PvP

Posted by: Booms.2594

Booms.2594

notice this is a 2 year old thread guys..

gerdian