Important changes to ranked divisions

in PvP

Posted by: InsidiousWaffle.7086

InsidiousWaffle.7086

MAKE ALL DIVISIONS LOSE PIPS AND TIERS
ADD CAP TO NUMBER OF PLAYERS IN LEGEND

How do people feel about this? Honestly I feel like this would be a better filter for skill, seeing as you would need to be halfway decent to progress. It would also add prestige to lower rankings. I say this because everyone can make it to ruby with time, and serious players tend to progress, which sort of devalues the early ranks.

With this system, emerald would basically have the same value as ruby, sapphire would be equivalent to diamond, and ruby would have the same value as legend currently.

Also, add a cap to the number of players that can hold the rank of legend, say, 500 players. This would add huge value to being legend, being able to say that you are a member of the top 500 guild wars 2 pvpers would be awesome.

Assuming that this happened, a better leaderboard could be implemented, which tracks all players in legend and ranks them from 1 to 500.

As far as implementation goes, this would require several items. A prestige system would need to be added to diamond, and legend, as a rank, would have to be something you could lose.

As far as gameplay is concerned, this would result in high prestige legend players being placed against other high prestige legends, and low-level legends would be placed against the highest prestige diamond players available. If the legends lose all pips, they get kicked back one prestige level, and start with half of a pip track. If they lose all prestige and all pips, they get placed in diamond, with prestige either equivalent to the amount of prestige held by the player who beat them out of their place in legend, or the prestige that they held in diamond before becoming a legend

Also, matchmaking should literally find the first 10 players within pip range, and place them into a match with no consideration of mmr, the entire idea of the system is that it sorts players into a position where manually assigning players to teams is not needed

Thoughts?

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Agree on losing pips in all divisions/tiers. Don’t agree with number cap in legend. Problem is: legends would have very very long queues and it would be only filled with pro players. They already have pro league with limited spots.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

InsidiousWaffle.7086

Agree on losing pips in all divisions/tiers. Don’t agree with number cap in legend. Problem is: legends would have very very long queues and it would be only filled with pro players. They already have pro league with limited spots.

I mean there really aren’t that many pro league players to begin with… I think 80 if you combine NA and EU, and either way that is the caliber of player that should be in legend anyways.

In response to queue times, they would be allowed to compete with high prestige diamond players in the case that there are no legends online

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

I mean there really aren’t that many pro league players to begin with… I think 80 if you combine NA and EU, and either way that is the caliber of player that should be in legend anyways.

In response to queue times, they would be allowed to compete with high prestige diamond players in the case that there are no legends online

What the point of having pro league then? Legend would be exact same thing.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: Vicky.4563

Vicky.4563

IDK about losing pips in all divisions though. Anet still wanted the reward tracks to be grindable. I think losing it at ruby would be good enough, and it makes logical sense.

Amber – no pip loss.
Emerald – pip loss, but no tier loss.
Sapphire – pip loss, tier loss, but no division loss
Ruby-Legend – pip loss, tier loss, division loss

Assuming the placements work as intended up to legendary, maybe matchmaking could switch formulas starting at high diamond and legendary. And instead of matching based on closest MMR, it starts attempting to balance it out?

Theoretically no one with bad MMR would be reaching Diamond/Legendary and the games would be evenly divided. This would reduce queue times for the limited pool of legendary players, and the games wouldn’t be too low quality right?

in PvP

Posted by: baroi.3264

baroi.3264

+1 to Pipe Loss, Tier Loss, Division Loss.

Subdrop

in PvP

InsidiousWaffle.7086

In response to the comment by cynz, there would still be skill disparity, but it would actually mean something to make it to legendary, similarly to CS:GO, in which there are a very small amount of Global Elites, but even within that there are players with widely varying skill.

The changes detailed would make PvP more competitive overall, and competitive PvP would drive viewers to pro league, to see the best of the best

As an answer to Vicky, reward tracks can be progressed in unranked, and you don’t need to win to progress them.
I’ll assume that you are talking about rewards for progressing through divisions, and in that case the following is my opinion: Because the legendary backpieces will be obtainable every year, not just this year, players who want it, but lack PvP skill should still be able to get to emerald every season, and eventually get their backpiece over the course of several extra seasons. But I think that it is unreasonable for arenanet to attempt to cater PvP seasons both to people who actually care about PvP, and the prestige gained from doing well, and at the same time attempt to cater to casual players who want the legendary backpiece or the rewards assosiated with division progress.

Is that unfair?

in PvP

Posted by: Vicky.4563

Vicky.4563

Oh, did they actually confirm backpieces are obtainable every year? If that’s the case, I’m fine with division loss in everything.

It just seemed like Anet wanted casuals to be able to grind to ruby each season so they’d all have a chance of crafting it. Which was why they made ruby so easy to get to. If players can craft it eventually by getting to emerald each time, then it seems fair to me.

But this is dependent on how Anet plans on letting people get the backpiece after the season ends. We can’t actually brainstorm good ideas that will make everyone happy until we know what they plan on doing.

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

Amber – Pip Loss, No Tier loss.
Emerald – Pip loss and tier loss.
Sapphire – Pip loss, Tier loss and division loss
Ruby-Legend – Pip loss, Tier loss and division loss

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

How do you propose capping the number of legendary players at 500? Whats to stop people from getting to legendary and never playing again during a season. They way leagues currently work I don’t see how it could be done. Also, your matchmaking suggestion really sounds like russian roulette to me. Quite a bit of luck involed if you are going to grab 10 players and put them onto two teams with zero considerations. For that to work those 10 players would have to be very similar in skill level. Even at the highest level of spvp we frequently see some players that are significantly better then some of there teammates.

(edited by brannigan.9831)

in PvP

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Allow all divisions to have pip and tier loss. No division loss.

Same matchmaking as season two except MMR is used for all players in a match instead of just who you get teamed with. This would prevent matches with a team of players that have a higher or lower MMR than you.

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

How do you propose capping the number of legendary players at 500? Whats to stop people from getting to legendary and never playing again during a season.

Implement a decay system for legend ranked players. They need to play X amounts of games per day for Y number of days per week or they lose pips.

Legends should be required to play to defend their title.

Cant be that hard to implement.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in PvP

Posted by: Nightshade.2570

Nightshade.2570

I don’t care to much about pip losses but Division loss is a BAD idea in a game such as Guild wars 2.

As you whittle down your numbers more and more and make things further elitist, you will find yourself playing alone.

You do not understand the psychological ramifications behind changes where you lose divisions. You would fast find yourself with queue times of over an hour for the very fact that alot of people would get to the tier they want and stop.

There is no incentive actually to play past Ruby, and as it stands to make it so playing past ruby could cost you Ruby would mean most people will quit playing pvp or move to unranked.

I know many of you think this would be great I mean better matches right? You would find yourself among those that stop pvping well before a season is over.

Honestly Arena net would lose huge numbers in PvP from causing people in Sapphire to lose divisions.

It already became bad this past season with less people in diamond and legendary causing the queue times in those divisions to soar. This would intensify it but down at the sapphire level. Imagine getting to Sapphire and having 15 minute queues or worse.

Even good players would start throwing their hands up and moving to unranked just for fast queue times.

in PvP

Posted by: Elwinson.5962

Elwinson.5962

Amber – no pip loss.
Emerald – pip loss, but no tier loss.
Sapphire – pip loss, tier loss, but no division loss
Ruby-Legend – pip loss, tier loss, division loss

I like this proposal. Each tier adds one additional loss mechanic.

About the possibility of Division loss causing players to stop playing Ranked when they reach Ruby, I don’t think we can know for sure that that would happen unless we actually gave it a try.

If there is a way to change it to have division loss, but also a way to quickly switch it back to lossless if the player numbers were to drop, then I think it would be worth a shot.

This might solve the problem where players get stuck in Ruby who should probably be in Sapphire instead. This would let them hit Ruby, lose a bunch, and then get back to Sapphire where they can have closer matches again.